Bill Maher on Global Warming this week

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline

I think it's about time the Rational Responders add something "environmental" to the Irrational Precept list. We need to do our part in not only ending theism, but ending destruction of our environment as well.

Enjoy the 4 minute clip from Bill Maher: http://www.RationalResponders.com/media/BillMaherGlobalWarming.mp3

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Re: Bill Maher on Global Warming this week

Sapient wrote:
I think it's about time the Rational Responders add something "environmental" to the Irrational Precept list. We need to do our part in not only ending theism, but ending destruction of our environment as well.

Enjoy the 4 minute clip from Bill Maher: http://www.RationalResponders.com/media/BillMaherGlobalWarming.mp3

Amen.... again this is tied into religion, religious zealots believe that the earth is here for us to exploit. That is why they are easly brainwashed to believet that drilling in ANWR, clubbing seals etc..is perfectly ok... and that Global Warming is a commie lie that has been perpetrated by the commies to try to impede our economy...God provides. Anyway, it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if there is global warming, increased tsunamis, hurricanes, etcc..it makes them feel as if the apocalypse is coming adn therefore furthering this bullshit belief. AS for the rest of us ratinosl people who actually want to prevent tragedy from happening, well we're a bunch of hellbound commie atheists anyway.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline

I know you all aren't old enough to remember the 60s, but The Old Broad does.

The hippies that lived on communes and were self-sufficient were well ahead of their time, weren't they?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Seems the same nuts who don't believe in evolution also don't believe in global warming. Guess it's an anti-science thing. Though I did hear recently some evangelicals are getting into saving the Earth.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

CosmicDoom
CosmicDoom's picture
User is offlineOffline

did'nt our atheist friends Penn and Teller do a bulls**t episode about Global Warming??

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

CosmicDoom wrote:
did'nt our atheist friends Penn and Teller do a bulls**t episode about Global Warming??

I think so, and they also did one about cat lovers, and how that's bullshit. I love Penn and Teller, but some of the bullshit they expose is... bullshit. Nobody's perfect, even the great Penn and Teller.

jester700
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:
CosmicDoom wrote:

I think so, and they also did one about cat lovers, and how that's bullshit. I love Penn and Teller, but some of the bullshit they expose is... bullshit. Nobody's perfect, even the great Penn and Teller.

I think part of the problem is, if you HAVE to fill a time slot every week, not every show will be a winner.

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:
CosmicDoom wrote:

WHOAH!! did they really do one about cat lovers?? i'm not saying everything they do is gospel ha ha ha , i just dont remember if they did one or not

Sapient
User is offlineOffline

Anonymous wrote:
Sapient wrote:
CosmicDoom wrote:

WHOAH!! did they really do one about cat lovers?? i'm not saying everything they do is gospel ha ha ha , i just dont remember if they did one or not

Yeah, they really did one on cat lovers.

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/prevepisodes.do?episodeid=s4/petlove

One particular quote from the episode stood out as bullshit to me. Something about "Anyone who has more than 2 cats is crazy, and for each cat over three cats their level of insanity goes up two fold." Something along those lines. Of course, this show would make one of my favorite females living, completely insane. Susan, of Beyond Belief Media, who is an important member of this forum and an important part of The God Who Wasn't There project, has nine cats I think.

As you can see in the preview they also discuss how rubbing noses and kissing your animal (talked about in show) is bullshit. I love Penn and Teller, I watch as many as I can, and even when I thought that particular show was bullshit I watched, laughed, and had a good time. It's unfortunate that the cat episode made me realize just how much of their show is ONLY OPINION, and not always grounded in science and reason.

An_Atheist
An_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, an example of theists

Well, an example of theists ruining the environment is that of deforeststtion. Take the catholics in africa/south america for example. I mean, Catholics discourage birth control, rising population causes deforestation, no birth control also means spread of disease, such as h.i.v, but also, destruction of forest means less medical research is able to be done in order to help find a cure for these diseases! So, the ignorance of catholicism is not only causing deforestation, but also causing the death of many of it's followers!

Your mind will take you far, the rest is just your heart, you'l find that fate is all your own creation.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I have 7 cats. >:( Some of

I have 7 cats. >Sad

Some of the fundies think by fucking up the environment, they can make Jesus come faster, too.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I have 7

MattShizzle wrote:
I have 7 cats. >Sad

Just 7? I know people that can help rectify that situation.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
7 is plenty.

7 is plenty.

Zero
Website Admin
Zero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Enviornmentalism and coercion

Because I am a fairly strict libertarian philosophically and otherwise, I will give one libertarian's viewpoint on this issue:

I care about the enviornment deeply, that's why I don't want the government involved in it whatsoever. I want property owners to sue anyone that devalues their property by polluting onto it. Groups of property owners (like an entire neighborhood) can pool their resources, hire a team of lawyers, and sue the pants off of polluters that devalue their private property with class actions suits. It is lawsuits based on actual private property devaluations that will prevent pollution in the most efficient possible way. We don't need government intervention.

Don't like gas emmissions? Don't vote for politicians that support spending BILLIONS of dollars on wars overseas that seek to prevent oil prices from rising dramatically. Oil prices NEED to be rediculously high before private investors get serious about alternative fuels.

Also, it has always been my assertion that if people REALLY cared about the land that they want to protect, then THEY should buy it! Want to protect the forests? Get a thousand other people like you together, each pitch in a grand or two and pool your resources together. You can buy thousands of acres pretty inexpensively in South America for a million bucks. Care about something? Put your money where your mouth is.

How many of Bill Maher's millions do you think are spent on buying up forest land to prevent the very deforestation he hates? How many of his millions are spent on alternative fuel research, or alt fuel business venture capital? I'm betting none. He wants the taxpayer to fund what he himself is unwilling to pay for personally. This is no different from Christians wanting to use their majority rule to impose backwards laws on the secular population.

EDIT BELOW:

I did a little search around one of my favourite websites ( http://www.kurzweilai.net ) and I found this article and thread which I remember reading years ago. It is certainly something worth considering before taking Maher's dogma, while funny, at face value:

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0011.html?

I also want to say, that I actually enjoy Bill Maher alot, and I definately think there IS global warming. However, I still don't think we should make global warming another excuse to give the government more power to control our lives. The government has NEVER done a good job at anything...in fact, it usually makes things worse...what makes you think that they will do a good job now? If scientists and investors are left to do business freely and without regulation, the will ultimately solve all problems. As soon as you start regulating industries, you start seeing corporate and political corruption because power and privaledge are sold to the highest bidder in backroom boodoggle deals.

EDIT AGAIN:

Check this out too:
http://www.kurzweilai.net/mindx/frame.html?main=/mindx/show_thread.php?rootID%3D61652

Interesting reading.

..zero..
href="http://www.doubledoh.com" title="DoubleDoh Shirts" alt="DoubleDoh Shirts">DoubleDoh

townsend01
townsend01's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Mahr is dead on! One of

Bill Mahr is dead on! One of the leading Atheist of our time! Hail to the king!

kriz
User is offlineOffline
"I care about the

"I care about the enviornment deeply, that's why I don't want the government involved in it whatsoever. I want property owners to sue anyone that devalues their property by polluting onto it. Groups of property owners (like an entire neighborhood) can pool their resources, hire a team of lawyers..."

I guess if you dont have property you're out of luck, huh?  Forced to breath the air anyway, forced to drink the tainted water, forced to live with any amount of waste someone with more money wants to dump on you.

"You can buy thousands of acres pretty inexpensively in South America for a million bucks. Care about something? Put your money where your mouth is."

A basic problem here that I have with libertarians.  Your vote in a society is exactly how many dollars you have.  A person with no money or property (or even a little of both) is worthless and has no rights. 

Even if you happen to be a member of the "middle class" and have a small chunk of money/property, it doesnt matter how large your coalition is, you won't beat out the megabillionaires in the top 1%.

"As soon as you start regulating industries, you start seeing corporate and political corruption because power and privaledge are sold to the highest bidder in backroom boodoggle deals."

When some people have more money and power than others there will be corruption.  I fail to see how anything in a total free market libertarian economy is not sold to the highest bidder.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love Bill. He was

I love Bill. He was politically incorrect before it was cool to be politically incorrect.

"George Bush is an alien sent here to destroy the Earth!"

LOL! I love it. Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Explicit Atheism
Explicit Atheism's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a full on Atheist but

I am a full on Atheist but in no way am i a hippie, i despise them as much as i despise religion. As an Atheist i trust in science to provide the facts of life and in this situation the facts say that us contributing to global warming is like pissing on a forest fire. In the last hundred years our whole industrial era the climate has only gone up about 1-2 degrease F, hundred years before that it when up 5 degrease. So who's full of shit?

In reality the earth has existed for 4 billion years and over that time the earth has went from hot to cold several times. Global warming is a route to an ice age because when the ice melts the salinity of the ocean disrupts a river system that controls our climate, making it ice cold. We have only been here a very short time and to think we could control the weather its just foolish. We are not advanced enough as a species to do something like that, shit we cant even get over the fact that there is no god. So stop going around like whiny bitch hippies and learn something, your talking like the earth is a living thing and your hurting its feelings, your acting like dare i say it, Christan's.

Like the great Pen and teller has on their episode: recycling, the only conspiracy is to get people to worry about the environment so they spend money trying to fix a problem that isn't there, like dont worry give your government money and the problem will go away.

The truth is there is no problem with the earth. The way it is, is natural. We are not running in any short supply of anything, we are not putting anything into the air that isn't already there. No forest is running out of supply we grow trees for the use of paper. Landfills ain't running out of spaces and for an alternate use than oil, methane is a better source of fuel. So if you change the way things are going you would really be disrupting the natural process of the earth for our own survival, and evolution says its survival of the fittest.

"Freedom of religion, means freedom of religion"

-ME

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Explicit Atheism wrote: I

Explicit Atheism wrote:

I am a full on Atheist but in no way am i a hippie, i despise them as much as i despise religion. As an Atheist i trust in science to provide the facts of life and in this situation the facts say that us contributing to global warming is like pissing on a forest fire. In the last hundred years our whole industrial era the climate has only gone up about 1-2 degrease F, hundred years before that it when up 5 degrease. So who's full of shit?

That would be you. Charts of global temperatures have been collected here. Feel free to take a look.

Quote:
So stop going around like whiny bitch hippies and learn something, your talking like the earth is a living thing and your hurting its feelings, your acting like dare i say it, Christan's.

I'm a great fan of unintended irony.

Quote:
The truth is there is no problem with the earth.

The truth is that you're a mockery of what freethinking is about. You're spouting off on a subject you obviously haven't investigated, accepting information on blind faith just like a fundy. I don't give a crap if you think of yourself as a "full on atheist," so long as you fail to examine the information that's available, you're just as stuck in your superstitious prejudices as the most devout theist.

Now go away and study, you silly little man.

As ever, Jesse

There is no lao tzu

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Anonymous

Sapient wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Sapient wrote:
CosmicDoom wrote:
Yeah, they really did one on cat lovers. http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/prevepisodes.do?episodeid=s4/petlove One particular quote from the episode stood out as bullshit to me. Something about "Anyone who has more than 2 cats is crazy, and for each cat over three cats their level of insanity goes up two fold." Something along those lines. Of course, this show would make one of my favorite females living, completely insane. Susan, of Beyond Belief Media, who is an important member of this forum and an important part of The God Who Wasn't There project, has nine cats I think. As you can see in the preview they also discuss how rubbing noses and kissing your animal (talked about in show) is bullshit. I love Penn and Teller, I watch as many as I can, and even when I thought that particular show was bullshit I watched, laughed, and had a good time. It's unfortunate that the cat episode made me realize just how much of their show is ONLY OPINION, and not always grounded in science and reason.

As an animal lover myself, I've been turned off a little by some of their comments.  I didn't see the cat lover episode, but I kind of got the idea after they--or rather, Penn--said they would strangle every chimpanzee on the planet to save one person.  Such a scenario is unlikely to present itself, but I can think of several people that I wouldn't save by strangling chimpanzees.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I have 7

MattShizzle wrote:
I have 7 cats. >Sad Some of the fundies think by fucking up the environment, they can make Jesus come faster, too.

I have 9 snakes and a parrot.  Send the young men in their nice, white coats. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
lao tzu wrote: The truth is

lao tzu wrote:

The truth is that you're a mockery of what freethinking is about. You're spouting off on a subject you obviously haven't investigated, accepting information on blind faith just like a fundy.

I've gone back and forth on the issue precisely BECAUSE I haven't studied enough to form an educated opinion.  Because the debate has become so politically charged, I fully expect there to be some "bad science" on both sides, but I also expect big business to have more money to throw at "bad scientists."

I read most of a refutation of The Great Global Warming Swindle at a science website the other day, so right now, I'm currently leaning toward accepting global warming as a very serious issue.  I'm beginning to think I need to spend less time researching my favorite scientific topics and learn a bit more about climatology.  If it's that important, I should educate myself.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
kriz wrote:   I guess if

kriz wrote:

I guess if you dont have property you're out of luck, huh? Forced to breath the air anyway, forced to drink the tainted water, forced to live with any amount of waste someone with more money wants to dump on you.

"You can buy thousands of acres pretty inexpensively in South America for a million bucks. Care about something? Put your money where your mouth is." 

A basic problem here that I have with libertarians. Your vote in a society is exactly how many dollars you have. A person with no money or property (or even a little of both) is worthless and has no rights.

Even if you happen to be a member of the "middle class" and have a small chunk of money/property, it doesnt matter how large your coalition is, you won't beat out the megabillionaires in the top 1%.

"As soon as you start regulating industries, you start seeing corporate and political corruption because power and privaledge are sold to the highest bidder in backroom boodoggle deals."

When some people have more money and power than others there will be corruption. I fail to see how anything in a total free market libertarian economy is not sold to the highest bidder.

Yeah, I was faced with this reality when I became too sick to work.  The "American Dream" is out of my reach, permanently.  Those with money get to dictate how much money I "need" to live on each month.  Guess what?  The amount I am "given" is not enough to live on, let alone to "vote" with.

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: lao

Iruka Naminori wrote:

lao tzu wrote:

The truth is that you're a mockery of what freethinking is about. You're spouting off on a subject you obviously haven't investigated, accepting information on blind faith just like a fundy.

I've gone back and forth on the issue precisely BECAUSE I haven't studied enough to form an educated opinion. Because the debate has become so politically charged, I fully expect there to be some "bad science" on both sides, but I also expect big business to have more money to throw at "bad scientists."

Hiya, Iruka,

The political charge has been driven almost entirely by oil money, following in the footsteps of the tobacco industry. It's difficult to find any denial organization that doesn't have Exxon bucks in their pockets.

See Appendix A (PDF)

When you look at the studies, though, it becomes obvious quite quickly that whatever disagreements there might be about the degree of anthropogenic (why can't we just say human caused?) global warming, the basic facts are no longer subject to debate. The denial community, much like the creationist community, is almost entirely a US phenomenon. We rejected Kyoto, but the rest of the world did not. It's been in force since February 15, 2005 when Russia signed on, expanding the list of signatories past the required 55 percent of net carbon emitters.

Quote:
I read most of a refutation of The Great Global Warming Swindle at a science website the other day, so right now, I'm currently leaning toward accepting global warming as a very serious issue. I'm beginning to think I need to spend less time researching my favorite scientific topics and learn a bit more about climatology. If it's that important, I should educate myself.

Here's where to start: http://www.ipcc.ch/

It'd be a shame to have a thread on global warming on a freethinker board, and have no one talking science.

As ever, Jesse 

There is no lao tzu

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lao tzu wrote:Iruka

lao tzu wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

lao tzu wrote:

I've gone back and forth on the issue precisely BECAUSE I haven't studied enough to form an educated opinion. Because the debate has become so politically charged, I fully expect there to be some "bad science" on both sides, but I also expect big business to have more money to throw at "bad scientists."

Hiya, Iruka,

The political charge has been driven almost entirely by oil money, following in the footsteps of the tobacco industry. It's difficult to find any denial organization that doesn't have Exxon bucks in their pockets.

I find this especially ironic since many of the tobacco industries lobbiests who partook in the failure to keep tobacco unregulated have now signed up for the next massive failure in public convincing campaigns: global warming.

Seriously, will these people ever learn, or are they making too much money in the process to even give a damn that they're holding humanity back?

lao tzu
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I find this

Vastet wrote:
I find this especially ironic since many of the tobacco industries lobbiests who partook in the failure to keep tobacco unregulated have now signed up for the next massive failure in public convincing campaigns: global warming. Seriously, will these people ever learn, or are they making too much money in the process to even give a damn that they're holding humanity back?
Hiya, Vastet,

Have you got a source for this claim?  I'd be very interested to see it.   Don't know what you mean by them "learning."  After all, they got paid before, and if it's the same people, they'll get paid again.  If they can delay action long enough for Exxon to rake in a few more billions, they'll have earned that money too.

A free market that isn't forced to account for external costs, won't.  There's nothing keeping us from doing so; it's already happening in Europe.  You create a carbon currency denominated by the Kyoto standards and then sell them to the carbon emitters to balance the books.  If you don't have the credits for the carbon you want to emit, you don't get to emit.

As ever, Jesse

There is no lao tzu

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I have 7

MattShizzle wrote:
I have 7 cats. >Sad Some of the fundies think by fucking up the environment, they can make Jesus come faster, too.

Dan Barker is another atheist cat lover, so you and Susan are in good company. 

And Rook's cat can open doors...that was a great video. Smiling 

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it me or does it seems

Is it me or does it seems like atheist = cat people ;p

A lot of the atheists here seem to have a cat or many cats (including myself).  Im curious on where the dog lovers are ;p 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo wrote: Is it me or

Gizmo wrote:

A lot of the atheists here seem to have a cat or many cats (including myself). Im curious on where the dog lovers are ;p

Well, atheists might appreciate the independent nature of cats.  Me?  I love all animals, but my favorite animals are all in the parrot family. Smiling My favorite wild animals are cetaceans (hence the whale watching trips).    

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo wrote:

Gizmo wrote:

A lot of the atheists here seem to have a cat or many cats (including myself). Im curious on where the dog lovers are ;p

Gizmo, I am a dog lover. I have had cats and I like cats, but I have always favored dogs. I have a three year old beagle named Strummer(after Joe Strummer from the Clash) and he is the man!!

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, someone finally who

Ok, someone finally who likes dogs (dogs are ok, but yeah cats independent nature does make them usually easier to deal with ;p)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lao tzu wrote: Hiya,

lao tzu wrote:
Hiya, Vastet, Have you got a source for this claim?  I'd be very interested to see it.

Hey man. I believe it was a CBC fifth estate program that told me about the correlation. This would be the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/denialmachine/index.html

There's a video you can watch on that page which the claim was substantiated within. If I picked the wrong episode, let me know in topic or via pm/email. I'll try and track it down later. I'd watch it now to make sure it's the right one, but I'm unfortunately a bit too pressed for time to watch a 40 minute show. If it's the wrong one, you can either look for the right one yourself(which would give you some quality programming to watch as a side benefit), or you can wait until tuesday morning, when I'll have more time to look for the right episode. I am 90% sure this is the right one though.

lao tzu wrote:

Don't know what you mean by them "learning."  After all, they got paid before, and if it's the same people, they'll get paid again.
[

Yes, but at what cost to the rest of us? This is what I meant. Obviously they don't much care about humanity, they're too wrapped up in making a buck.

lao tzu wrote:
  If they can delay action long enough for Exxon to rake in a few more billions, they'll have earned that money too.

They've already achieved this. For ten years running.

lao tzu wrote:
A free market that isn't forced to account for external costs, won't.  There's nothing keeping us from doing so; it's already happening in Europe.  You create a carbon currency denominated by the Kyoto standards and then sell them to the carbon emitters to balance the books.  If you don't have the credits for the carbon you want to emit, you don't get to emit.

I think it's fairly safe to say that kyoto is dead and smelly. Without Russia, the US, and China, there's no point in trying to make it work.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Environmentalism is

Environmentalism is becoming a new religion. Look at the mobs at environmentalist (or any leftist cause eg anti-globalisation) rallies. Most are not doing much thinking. There's a small minority telling the rest what to believe. The non-thinkers are there to feel good about themselves irrespective of whether there's any reality in their cause.

Religions provide a simple morality and a meaning to life. Mob environmentlaists are given the simple morality "save the enviroment from evil people trying to make money". Their meaning is "save the planet".

I don't know what the truth is about global warming. I see screaming mobs on one side and huge oil companies on the other I don't know which I trust less. On an issue as political as this I'm not even sure I can trust scientists since they too are human and their interpretations can be swayed by the companies funding them or by the environmentalists telling them that anyone who questions golbal warming is either in the pockets of evil corporations or just plain stupid.

It's the emotive tactics of the left that I don't trust. If you don't agree with them on a race issue then you're racist and stupid, If you dont agree with them about abortion then you're sexist and stupid, if you don't agree with them about the environment you don't care about the environment....... and you're stupid. Noone likes to think they are evil or stupid so they will atleast pay lip service to the causes of the left so as to not be one of those morons they hate.

What I do know is that they have been screaming in mobs for decades and on the whole the human race has only made the occasional token gesture toward being environmentally friendly and we are still living quite comfortably.

Yes, I think there is a current warming trend, yes I think we are contributing to it atleast in part. No, I dont think it's anywhere near as bad as the apocalyptic warnings we are getting from the mob.

I also think that technology is the solution to the problem not self flagelation.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm one of those atheist

I'm one of those atheist dog people.

I can't stand cats, personally - I find them far too self-righteous and arrogant.  My dog comes when called, knows when it's time to go outside, can do tricks and is always happy to see me.

My girlfriend like cats.  Her reasons?  She doesn't have to take care of it besides put out food and go on vacation.

I'd rather have a pet that can show that it cares for me as opposed to one that's easy to maintain. 

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
I do not buy into the sky is

I do not buy into the sky is falling mentality of the environmental movement.  I may not have a degree in climatology or in the physical or biological sciences but I have read enough from people who established the field and in many ways still define it.  There is no greater of those people than one Reid Bryson Ph.D, of the University of Wisconson Green Bay.  He holds the 30th degree given in Metorology ever given.  He discovered the Jet Stream among many other phenominon of our planet's weather.  He says truely climate change is a reality but global warming is not the danger everyone thinks it is.  Here is the like to an interview he did with the Wisconsin Energy Cooperative News.  http://www.wecnmagazine.com/2007issues/may/may07.html#1   Before anyone attacks me or anyone else on here who is not a believer in the religion of Global warming being a man made catastrophe or even that it is man made, would do themselves a favor by reading the article in full.  I reject the politically correct Religion of "Global Warming". 

vexed
vexed's picture
User is offlineOffline
lao tzu wrote:here. Feel

lao tzu wrote:

here. Feel free to take a look.

Well, the first  graph shows a time period of 140 years roughly (a small sample).

The second graph shows a time period of 2000 years, again a very small sample (unless you're a creationists, then it's 1/3 of the earth's existance >.> ).

The third graph shows a time period of 450,000 years roughly. A better sample, in which we see 4 ice ages. So roughly every 100,000 years there is an ice age, according to the data. Also, according to the third graph, there have been other times when the Earth has been hotter than now ( 3 times out of 5 samples = 60% of the time before an ice age it has been hotter than now). Also note that the 3rd graph is based on average temperatures from 1961-1990 as the base temperature, which I hope is used only as a control rather than the "correct temperature" for the Earth.

My conclusion:

Yes the Earth is warming, it has in the past (5 times in the last 450K yr according to graph 3) and will in the future. The only difference between now and 100,000 years ago is that now there are people thinking they can "solve" what would appear to be a natural occurrence. My analogy would be "A parent decides to stunt their 5 year old's growth because the parent thought this is how their child should remain indefinitely."(hypothetically of course...)

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."--Stephen F. Roberts

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
1st   I dont know about

1st   I dont know about global warming one way or the other...I lean more toward that is is a problem than not...prob 70-30.  I am more worried about the enviroment as a whole, resource depletion...food per capita stuff like that.  But the way I look at it, if there was ever a time to hedge your bets ala the God Wager now is the time....  IF you act like a greeny and you are right congrats you avoided a disaster, if you act like a greeny and youre wrong, well you were inconvienced a little but advanced science.

2nd point....I am a pet hater.  Animals I am fine with, people who get emotional attachment to many animals I find creepy (if you live with them and you are not a farmer).  If I met a girl and she was fine but had multiple cats/dog/exotics that would be a red flag.  The only thing worse is people who call animals thier children, god that is fucking gay.  I do kinda want an ant farm though...so go figure.  (part of it might be I dont like hair and/or smells)

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
1st   I dont know about

-

qbg
User is offlineOffline
vexed wrote:

vexed wrote:

Well, the first graph shows a time period of 140 years roughly (a small sample).

The second graph shows a time period of 2000 years, again a very small sample (unless you're a creationists, then it's 1/3 of the earth's existance >.> ).

The third graph shows a time period of 450,000 years roughly. A better sample, in which we see 4 ice ages. So roughly every 100,000 years there is an ice age, according to the data. Also, according to the third graph, there have been other times when the Earth has been hotter than now ( 3 times out of 5 samples = 60% of the time before an ice age it has been hotter than now). Also note that the 3rd graph is based on average temperatures from 1961-1990 as the base temperature, which I hope is used only as a control rather than the "correct temperature" for the Earth.

My conclusion:

Yes the Earth is warming, it has in the past (5 times in the last 450K yr according to graph 3) and will in the future. The only difference between now and 100,000 years ago is that now there are people thinking they can "solve" what would appear to be a natural occurrence. My analogy would be "A parent decides to stunt their 5 year old's growth because the parent thought this is how their child should remain indefinitely."(hypothetically of course...)

What about the speed of the heat ups? It might be interesting to see a chart of the first derivative of the data. It is quite hard to tell from the third chart how fast the heat ups were, but from the first chart you see a .4 increase in temperatures over 20 years at the end of the chart...

Also:

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
qbg wrote: vexed

qbg wrote:
vexed wrote:

Well, the first graph shows a time period of 140 years roughly (a small sample).

The third graph shows a time period of 450,000 years roughly. A better sample, in which we see 4 ice ages. So roughly every 100,000 years there is an ice age, according to the data. Also, according to the third graph, there have been other times when the Earth has been hotter than now ( 3 times out of 5 samples = 60% of the time before an ice age it has been hotter than now). Also note that the 3rd graph is based on average temperatures from 1961-1990 as the base temperature, which I hope is used only as a control rather than the "correct temperature" for the Earth.

My conclusion:

Yes the Earth is warming, it has in the past (5 times in the last 450K yr according to graph 3) and will in the future. The only difference between now and 100,000 years ago is that now there are people thinking they can "solve" what would appear to be a natural occurrence. My analogy would be "A parent decides to stunt their 5 year old's growth because the parent thought this is how their child should remain indefinitely."(hypothetically of course...)

What about the speed of the heat ups? It might be interesting to see a chart of the first derivative of the data. It is quite hard to tell from the third chart how fast the heat ups were, but from the first chart you see a .4 increase in temperatures over 20 years at the end of the chart...

Also:

That is what caught my attention most when I saw and Inconvinent truth...it is hard to deny that coorolation.

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta