Semi-Interesting

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Semi-Interesting

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/index.php?showtopic=63277

Its a link to a thread in a game forum where someone asks if jesus existed. I thought it was interesting to read some of the responses. I know it is a game forum, but there have been other interesting things related to religion talked about on there. If you are going to get anything out of this it would be getting a taste of the kind of responses a person is probably going to throw at you.

Highlights:

"I think Jesus existed but I also believe that Mary was knocked up by some other man and told the gullible Joseph that God had impregnated her. I also think that Jesus' body was stolen from the tomb by a necrophiliac or something.

And his followers interpreted it all as divinity and wrote it down."

I think he might be joking about really believing in a jesus, but I thought this was funny so what the hell.

"Jesus Christ exisited, he died for are sins and saved us all. How do you think almost half the world believes in God and Jesus, a fairytale ? NO! He exisited and there are many ways of proof, a book read by millions, and any of you idoits believe in that evolution stuff go shove it up your A#%. We should be worshipping him for dieing for are sins. Anyone want to argue bring it on!"

A break down in order: claim, its popular, there is proof, being its popular, personal attacks, evolution, worship him, being loud. Note the lack of proof talked about early on.

"Not really. Most atheists even agree with his existence." (to "its all a fairytale&quotEye-wink

"Anyone who doesn't think Jesus b. Joseph of Nazareth wasn't a real person is an absolute moron and wouldn't understand history if you walloped them with it. Sorry for the flame but I've read some of the replies in this thread and many are just idiotic, totally defeating the honest question at the beginning.

Jesus is mentioned by four canon gospels and several non-canon gospels, plus he is mentioned in the Antiquitates Judaicum by Flavius Josephus. I suggest you look up the Testimonium Flavianium on the net. It contains an insert by later Christians but the reference itself (without the acclamation of Jesus as son of god) is genuine.

Moreover, there is every reason to suspect he was a real person; he fits magnificently into the character of the times. Men like him were relatively common - look up the phenomenon of Pseudo-Messiahs and also look up the Midrashim texts for Hanina b. Dosa and Honi the Circle Drawer, amongst others.

I'm an atheist and that's basic history. For anyone genuinely interested I suggest reading E.P. Sanders' book "The Historical Figure of Jesus" which has become the standard university textbook for ancient historians studying the life and times of Jesus Christ."

"Was Julius Caesar a real person? There is no grave, just people writing about him.

My point is thatyou can be like that for many figures in history that people think existed. Jesus did exist, but I've always debated with myself over whether he was the son of god or not."

Basically is trying to find the standard or "you believe in Socrates why not jesus?" I've gotten that in person btw. Wasn't talking to them either...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't read the topic

I can't read the topic without registering, and I can't register as the admin has disabled it. > >

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
oh hmm I guess it was in

oh hmm I guess it was in the "boiler room" and you have to be a member of the game to be on the forums....

Well at least I put up highlight :P 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's an official game

That's an official game forum? Ouch. They sure spared no expense. > >

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.