1 Thessalonians 2:14-15

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
1 Thessalonians 2:14-15

I was wondering how these verses are explained from a mythicist standpoint.

1 Thessalonians 2:14-15 NASB

14For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews,

15who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men,

Do mythicists think the Jews killed Jesus in heaven? Is this part not Pauline? In the Pre-Nicene NT, Price writes, "It is impossible to imagine a Jew, even a sectarian Jew regarding his sect as the "true Israel," speaking of Jews in this manner, which reeks of typical Hellenistic anti-Semitism." (pg. 430) He is very agnostic about whether Paul wrote the epistles attributed to him anyway. What do you think Rook, or anyone?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Ummm... How about the Bible

Ummm... How about the Bible is complete and total fiction and nothing in it deserves to be taken seriously?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So lets use the book to

So lets use the book to prove what it says that makes a hell of a lot of since. Ever heard of circular logic?

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did not post that to try

I did not post that to try to "prove" the Bible. Just trying to get the mythicist viewpoint. Maybe I should have put this in the Mythicist Campaign forum.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yea that would have been a

Yea that would have been a better place. I would not have assumed that you were trying to prove the bible with your quote had it been in the appropiate forum.

john1937 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Matt Shizzle

I'm with you, Matt.  Why waste time trying to be rational in explaining an irrational, delusional book.  Incidentally, Nazis used this particular quote from Thessalonians to prove that Jews are evil. 

JohnGill (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
translation

Bahana wrote:

14For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews,

15who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men,

Do mythicists think the Jews killed Jesus in heaven? Is this part not Pauline? In the Pre-Nicene NT, Price writes, "It is impossible to imagine a Jew, even a sectarian Jew regarding his sect as the "true Israel," speaking of Jews in this manner, which reeks of typical Hellenistic anti-Semitism." (pg. 430) He is very agnostic about whether Paul wrote the epistles attributed to him anyway. What do you think Rook, or anyone?

Interestingly, the New King James Version (NKJV) has the word Judeans instead of Jews at the end of the verse which corresponds more with the original Greek as well as the word Judea in the same verse before.

The word Judean gives it a more past (then and there) historical feel of around 2000 years ago where as the word Jew gives it a more present (here and now) current feel which is incorrect since it happened back then.  

A similar thing would be like using the word Italian (present) instead of the word Roman (past) and vice a versa.  It is important to translate things as best as possible in order to convey the best possible meaning across.  

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Bahana wrote:I was wondering

Bahana wrote:

I don't understand the part that you ask if the Jews killed JC in heaven. !st --this is after the fact of JC's death, which means  they were persecuted by their own race. No, I don't think Christians think JC was killed in heaven. JC's religion was not Jewish, but his genetic line is Hebrew. JC can easily be considered a myth as there is no historical evidence (outside his own followers) that he existed. There would have to be a record of his trial to show his existence. Long before JC's arrival the Hebrews had already fallen away from their original religion.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The worship of Baal, you mean?

Old Seer wrote:

I don't understand the part that you ask if the Jews killed JC in heaven. !st --this is after the fact of JC's death, which means  they were persecuted by their own race. No, I don't think Christians think JC was killed in heaven. JC's religion was not Jewish, but his genetic line is Hebrew. JC can easily be considered a myth as there is no historical evidence (outside his own followers) that he existed. There would have to be a record of his trial to show his existence. Long before JC's arrival the Hebrews had already fallen away from their original religion.

yes, I think it's sad they began to worship an inscribed god instead of a graven, very sad indeed. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck