Merciful and Just

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Merciful and Just

I can't help but notice that many of the lists of Bible eroors here contain citations opposing a "mean" God to a merciful God.  Is it not possible that a just judge can also be merciful?

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Ghost of Amityville
Theist
Ghost of Amityville's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please excuse me for

Please excuse me for ignoring your pleasantness, but I don't have to respond to you if I find that you are just trying to be obnoxious.

"Congratulations, Ghost. You have managed to completely avoid my questions while tossing about vague references to logical fallacies and insinuations that I am somehow stopping you from making your point. Now, would you like to answer my questions, or will you admit that you can't answer them?"

That kind of stuff is obnoxious and not worthy of a response. 

I take pride in being a newb. I'm not all experienced and boring like the normies.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, Ghost. Whatever gets

Ok, Ghost. Whatever gets you through the day, man.

Please note that these forums are for debate and discussion. People who post repeatedly and then refuse to answer counter-arguments are called hit-and-run posters. Another word is Troll. If you're going to get into a discussion, be prepared to defend your view.

Consider this your first warning against hit and run posting.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Ghost of Amityville
Theist
Ghost of Amityville's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's your website, you're a

It's your website, you're a mod, and you can do whatever you want. But any forum that allows mods, or any posters, free reign to be deliberatedly unpleasant and call that "debate" and then call people who flag that as unacceptable "trolls" and declare they are in violation of some terms and conditions is not worthy of my time anyway. That's just in comparison to people in the real world. Obnoxious jerks i don't associate with.

I take pride in being a newb. I'm not all experienced and boring like the normies.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ghost of Amityville

Ghost of Amityville wrote:
It's your website, you're a mod, and you can do whatever you want. But any forum that allows mods, or any posters, free reign to be deliberatedly unpleasant and call that "debate" and then call people who flag that as unacceptable "trolls" and declare they are in violation of some terms and conditions is not worthy of my time anyway. That's just in comparison to people in the real world. Obnoxious jerks i don't associate with.

Ahem...would it be possible for you to address Hamby's questions?  People put a lot of time into their posts and whether you consider them nice or not they deserve an answer.  Thanks!

davidnay
User is offlineOffline
I'll shall now step in with

I'll shall now step in with my infinite wisdom and put this debate to rest.. Sometimes God is merciful, and other times God is just. It simply depends on which side of the bed he wakes up on. Much like my wife, his mood can fluctuate quite frequently.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
davidnay wrote: I'll shall

davidnay wrote:
I'll shall now step in with my infinite wisdom and put this debate to rest.. Sometimes God is merciful, and other times God is just. It simply depends on which side of the bed he wakes up on. Much like my wife, his mood can fluctuate quite frequently.

Oh lawd!  That's funny!!  Hey, are you saying god is a woman?  (Ahhh...that is another discussion for another thread - LOL)

GUNT
Silver Member
GUNT's picture
User is offlineOffline
davidnay wrote: I'll shall

davidnay wrote:

LOL... but do you have any difficulty proving your Wife exists?

G

davidnay
User is offlineOffline
GUNT wrote: davidnay

GUNT wrote:

davidnay wrote:

G

Can you prove that she doesn't?

GUNT
Silver Member
GUNT's picture
User is offlineOffline
davidnay wrote: GUNT

davidnay wrote:
GUNT wrote:

davidnay wrote:

G

Can you prove that she doesn't?

OK...  I think the burdon of proof is yours to prove your Wife exists. I'm not just going to accept your Wife exists because you say so. I have seen no empirical proof of the existance of your Wife.

Damn, my Wife is calling me for dinner... see ya..

Smiling G

REVLyle
TheistTroll
User is offlineOffline
If you are truly struggling

If you are truly struggling to see how God can be merciful and just at the same time - Read about Jesus and the cross.  That is the perfect example.  God is not sometimes merciful and sometimes just.  He is both at the same time.  It is really not too hard to understand, but incredible that God has given us such a great picture through this event in history. 

I will tell you that I am not sure what Ghost is speaking of, but Hell is a real place.  I find it interesting that atheists want to know how God is merciful.  This website promotes and encourages the "Belief" (not fact) that God does not exist.  When someone chooses to believe that God does not exist, live like that, and die like that, God will certainly be "Just" and give you THAT for all eternity.  Hell is total separation from God.  Even athesits seek the things that are God while here on this earth.  The fact that everyone seeks love and truth.  Athesits even state that they have hope of utopia here on earth (according to one atheist on this website).  Those things are of God.  But when one dies there will be no hope when in Hell.  There is no pass "Go" and collect $200.  There will be no love and no truth. 

For a Christian, who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, Hell is not in their future.  I cannot prove that God exists - that is faith.  When I die I will be given mercy because I asked for it.  That is exactly how God can be just and merciful at the same time.  If you would like some more information on what Hell is and who goes there - I can provide that for you.  I will not beat around the bush.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.