questions about genesis

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
questions about genesis

ok, so i have a few questions about genesis 1 that i havent heard cleared up.

1. The book says "god created the two great lights, the sun and the moon". the moon is not a light, the sun reflects off of it to make it appear as one. this goes along with the primitive knowledge about our world and solar system back in those times.

2. I highly doubt man was created a couple days after the dinosaurs.

3. It took god 6 days to make earth, but in only a fraction of one of those days he created the stars. The size and complexity of the rest of the universe is extremely dominant to that of the earth, it just doesn't make sense to me. Again, this goes along with the belief a long time ago that stars are just small dots and are nothing like we know about them today.

4. How does god get tired? Why does he need to rest on the 7th day? Did he give himself the attribute of weakness?

5. Genesis 1:3-5 talk about god creating darkness and light, and seperating them to be night and day. To me, this seems no worse than the egyption religous theories about the sun and moon. It does not just "become" night or day, they are not seperated at all. It happens because of the world turning.

theists(or atheists with answers that im not aware of) please respond. unless you are really that stupid that you havent noticed this(this is 5th grade knowledge here) im sure you have an answer to this.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev0lver wrote: ok, so i

Rev0lver wrote:

ok, so i have a few questions about genesis 1 that i havent heard cleared up.

1. The book says "god created the two great lights, the sun and the moon". the moon is not a light, the sun reflects off of it to make it appear as one. this goes along with the primitive knowledge about our world and solar system back in those times.

2. I highly doubt man was created a couple days after the dinosaurs.

3. It took god 6 days to make earth, but in only a fraction of one of those days he created the stars. The size and complexity of the rest of the universe is extremely dominant to that of the earth, it just doesn't make sense to me. Again, this goes along with the belief a long time ago that stars are just small dots and are nothing like we know about them today.

4. How does god get tired? Why does he need to rest on the 7th day? Did he give himself the attribute of weakness?

5. Genesis 1:3-5 talk about god creating darkness and light, and seperating them to be night and day. To me, this seems no worse than the egyption religous theories about the sun and moon. It does not just "become" night or day, they are not seperated at all. It happens because of the world turning.

theists(or atheists with answers that im not aware of) please respond. unless you are really that stupid that you havent noticed this(this is 5th grade knowledge here) im sure you have an answer to this.

Rook im sure could go much deeper int his but I figured I mine as well post something since im playing in the forums.  

1.  This depends on how you look at it.  The moon reflects light so its obviously not generating light.  However, it still provides light by reflection from the sun.  Again as you stated, this is related to the ignorance from those days on how the universe worked.

2.   People weren't created at all, let alone shortly after dinos. 

3.  Again, true that those who wrote the bible did not know that those small lights in the sky were stars several times the size of Earth and how many stars there was.  This points very much to the fact that that Genesis along with the rest of the bible is wrong.  If the book was written today with the aim of getting followers, it would be much smarter to write that the Earth was "created" much quicker than all the stars.  Again, this points to a large logical flaw in many ways.  

4.   God would not get tired if he was all-powerful, so this rest time was just lame reason.  Its been speculated that this gave all those who followed the rules to rest on the Sabbath so that way people were not worked to death.  

5.  Again, this part comes from the fact that those who wrote Genesis were trying to explain the sun and night time.  Since they did not relize that the sun was another object, they just assumed that something (or someone) must have created that object.  They did not have the knowledge to relize how the sun and the solar system we are in was formed.  

Anyways like I said, im sure Rook or someone else could give a much better and more detailed explanation. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll take a pathetic stab

I'll take a pathetic stab at it although I would love to see a theist's response.  The entirety of genesis was explained to me as follows:

1.  It is a story made up by nomadic tribes and handed down until somebody decided to use it as the opening for the bible.  God did not actually do all of those things.  It is an explanation provided for a time when those things were unknown....but God still exists.  We just shouldn't take that part literally.  The rest is ok to take literally, though.  Maybe.

2.  God did do all of those things and in the time frame of 6 days but we cannot understand his power or meaning.  He took the 7th day as an example to us and so that he could bask in the glory of his creation.  Oh yeah, and by the way, scientists are just telling you that the moon is a rock reflected by the sun.  You haven't actually been there so how can you know? (huh?)

Yep, those are the two explanations I have heard from religious leaders.  Great book, that bible.  I've read lots of other interesting fiction too.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:   Oh yeah, and

jce wrote:

Oh yeah, and by the way, scientists are just telling you that the moon is a rock reflected by the sun.  You haven't actually been there so how can you know? (huh?)

lol, thats like the people at the flat earth society (http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum//)

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was the funniest damn

That was the funniest damn thing I have seen in a long time!  Couldn't get past the Q&A section under FAQ's because I was laughing so hard!!

The guy I talked to may have been a FE'er but his j-o-b was a Lutheran minister (Missouri Synod)....he also told me I can't donate my organs or I am going to hell, can't make decisions about money because I am a woman, can't get a divorce and if I do, I can't re-marry (well, that one doesn't sound so bad but not for the reasons he stated)....weird stuff.

Anyway, back to genesis...I really hope some theists can help on this one.  Actually I would love to hear an explanation for the whole thing.  Why two different creation stories, why Eve came from a rib and not dirt like Adam, why Cain's offering wasn't good enough but god never told him the right thing to bring in the first place??????

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
another thing about cain,

another thing about cain, and i believe david cross was the first to state this, god's punishment for cain was getting kicked out of his parents house, and now has someone to bang whenever he wants. if i kill somebody can i get that punishment?

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
i actually discussed this

i actually discussed this with a christian friend a few days ago, and he didnt have an answer. i then went "so are you saying the bible lies?" and he said yes.