What doctrine is not in the Bible?

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
What doctrine is not in the Bible?

There are a number of beliefs from the church and the surrounding Christian culture that are taken for granted as Christian doctrine but are not actually in the Bible. Name as many as you can think of.

-The first pope was St Peter or St Paul
-The talking serpent in the garden of Eden is Satan. The fruit eaten was an apple
-The one given power over the world in Revelations 13 is the Antichrist
-Jesus states he is the son of God
-Jesus states he is God
-Jesus states he is a trinity of father/son/holy ghost
-The events in Revelations and the second coming are about the future hundreds or thousands of years after the time of Jesus, not during the active Roman empire during the time of Nero
-Angels, demons and Satan are as they appear in medieval/rennaisance paintings
-Christ was born December 25th and visited by three kings
-Heaven and Hell are an invisible dimension separate from Earth and the physical universe

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I have never seen it

I have never seen it referenced earlier than the time of Jesus but I could be werong.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Here:   http://www.religiou

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Very nice. Not exactly the

Very nice. Not exactly the same quote but the same meaning no doubt. It is not a very profound statement but at the same time very profound. Meaning it sounds like a no brainer but if it was why did someone have to say it.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Maybe because even with it

Maybe because even with it being said people often don't follow it.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I'm

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned this one yet. Jesus never said the Golden Rule.

Actually, he did, but he stole it from Confucious and others. Eye-wink 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

yoyoyoyo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote: If a

AmericanIdle wrote:
If a christian has the goal of being a living example of god and god is represented as love and honesty, why do you always seem to represent such the polar opposite ?

what do you mean by this?

yoyoyoyo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist wrote: You

American Atheist wrote:
You look to the verse where god told Cain?

what is the problem here? 

Quote:
Really? The next verse says that I can't be circumsized. I don't know where my freewill is on that.

only if you take paul way out of context, he is saying that if you think the law will justify you then christ is of no value to you. 

Quote:
*Shrugs*

Maybe.

thanks for the consideration. Smiling

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gump wrote:Ok so now you

Gump wrote:
Ok so now you label me a theist. Let us understand that the man Jesus has been proven over and over

Actually, this is false. There are no contemporary historical accounts of jesus, even though we'd expect that there would be:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/a_silence_that_screams

And this total lack of any record of any contemporary evidence for jesus calls the gospel 'accounts' into question due to a lack of any provenance from the time of their appearance, back to the purported time of 'jesus'

This provenance problem is just one serious problem with the jesus claim. The second serious problem is that the gospels are both anonymous,

http://www.rationalresponders.com/the_gospels_are_anonymous_works_and_none_are_eyewitness_accounts

and, even worse, clearly based on midrash of the OT

http://www.rationalresponders.com/the_gospels_are_midrash

When you consider that the book of Mark is clearly Midrash, and that Luke and Matthew (neither of which are considered eyewitness accounts even by many major biblical scholars... (heck, even CARM concedes that)) and that the book of John is clearly a second century document, the claims for a real jesus fall to pieces.

Quote:

Yet you guys still don't listen to the facts.

I can only read this statement in the vein of ironic humor.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
yoyoyoyo wrote: what is the

yoyoyoyo wrote:
what is the problem here?

It doesn't really talk about freewill.

Quote:
only if you take paul way out of context, he is saying that if you think the law will justify you then christ is of no value to you.

There's really no freewill in the Bible. If God is all-knowing, all-powerful, then how can we have freewill? 

It's like watching the same movie 100 times and when you see it for the 101th time, you will already know what's going to happen before it happens. To expect the actors/actresses in the movie to do something different and have freewill would be ridiculous. 

Quote:
thanks for the consideration. Smiling

It was sascarm. But ok. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's beyond me why noone has

It's beyond me why noone has completely annihlated this attempted refutation.

yoyoyoyo wrote:
AmericanIdle wrote:
yoyoyoyo wrote:
AmericanIdle wrote:

There's nothing in the Bible forbidding pedophilia that I've found. It's almost as if the catholic priests who wrote much of the thing partook in diddling the chilrens !!

I know it's crazy talk !

You can't pick up sticks on the sabbath.....but you can pick up that hot lookin' 2nd grader, no problem.

check in leviticus.

1.) Show me.

2.) Is this supposed caution against pedophilia as reliable as these ?

Quote:
Leviticus 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

25:45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
25:46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever

it actually shocked me when i read your original statement, because i thought you guys loved to quote leviticus.

Leviticus 18:6-None of you shall approach any one of his close relatives to uncover nakedness. I am the LORD.

So incest is bad. That doesn't say anything about pedophilia. Even worse, because the bible says that all man descended from adam and eve, it becomes a crime to sleep with anyone or witness anyone naked. A true christian wouldn't wait until marriage to have sex. A true christian would never have sex at all, and would make all effort to never be exposed to nudity of any kind.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

lil shizzle
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Gump

todangst wrote:

Gump wrote:
Ok so now you label me a theist. Let us understand that the man Jesus has been proven over and over

Actually, this is false. There are no contemporary historical accounts of jesus, even though we'd expect that there would be:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/a_silence_that_screams

What about Gumps webiste to the wikipedia. Where even they say that only a few believe the man Jesus did not live. Plus the other part where it says it has been EFFECTIVELY REFUTED

todangst wrote:

When you consider that the book of Mark is clearly Midrash, and that Luke and Matthew (neither of which are considered eyewitness accounts even by many major biblical scholars... (heck, even CARM concedes that)) and that the book of John is clearly a second century document, the claims for a real jesus fall to pieces.

Well who in the Heck is Carm. Clearly John is not a second century Document. Once again making up crap does not prove your point. Scholars laugh at those who say that the man Jesus never lived.  You are in the very very small minority on this subject.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
lil shizzle wrote:

lil shizzle wrote:
What about Gumps webiste to the wikipedia. Where even they say that only a few believe the man Jesus did not live. Plus the other part where it says it has been EFFECTIVELY REFUTED

Matt already answered this. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. Please provide scholarly references to back up the "effectively refuted" claim.

lil shizzle wrote:
Well who in the Heck is Carm.

Google is your friend.

lil shizzle wrote:
Clearly John is not a second century Document. Once again making up crap does not prove your point. Scholars laugh at those who say that the man Jesus never lived. You are in the very very small minority on this subject.

Care to give use evidence that John's gospel is from the 1st century? How was todangst "making up crap"? Who are these laughing scholars, and what are their works? How far in the minority are we? Can you give us a figure?

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing to keep in mind is

One thing to keep in mind is a difference between Catholics and Protestants. Catholic beliefs come from the Bible and their tradition, while most Protestants claim the Bible alone is the sole authority. That gives protestants a hard time, I think, because they intrepret the bible according to which tradition they come from. There's a reason why most Baptists interpret the Bible in a certain way, and most Lutherans interpret it another way.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka, or anyone else who

Iruka, or anyone else who knows...

I claimed Jesus never spoke the golden rule in the bible, and I can't find it (granted, my search was not exhaustive, just exhausting.)  Iruka said he did... maybe I'm wrong?   Can someone tell me where it is?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Iruka,

Hambydammit wrote:

Iruka, or anyone else who knows...

I claimed Jesus never spoke the golden rule in the bible, and I can't find it (granted, my search was not exhaustive, just exhausting.)  Iruka said he did... maybe I'm wrong?   Can someone tell me where it is?

I did on the last page its Mathew 7:12

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks, Colby.  I stand

Thanks, Colby.  I stand corrected.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Colby R
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hamby no problem and I like

Hamby no problem and I like your sig, you they say curiosity killed the cat.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Colby, you're the first

Colby, you're the first person, theist or atheist on this board to ever catch the joke.

I wish I could give you a prize for it.

They do say curiosity killed the cat... but my cat has a gun Tongue out

There's probably at least a college level paper in the irony... or maybe I'm just sitting like the cat who ate the canary. 

Books about atheism

fadeleaf
User is offlineOffline
John 10:31-3330 "I and the

John 10:31-33
30 "I and the Father are one."

31 Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"

33"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

Jesus does claim to be God. 

Mr. Shizzle
Theist
Mr. Shizzle's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: lil shizzle

MrRage wrote:
lil shizzle wrote:
Matt already answered this. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone. Please provide scholarly references to back up the "effectively refuted" claim.

http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/the_historicity_of_jesus_christ

To question the historicity of Jesus is like exactly like questioning  the historicity of Alexander. 

http://www.search.com/reference/Historical_Jesus

^ "The nonhistoricity thesis has always been controversial, and it has consistently failed to convince scholars of many disciplines and religious creeds. ... Biblical scholars and classical historians now regard it as effectively refuted." - Robert E. Van Voorst, Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2000), p. 16.

http://larrycorrell.brinkster.net/TheologicalDictionary/references.aspx?theword=historicity%20of%20Jesus

How many times does this idea of Jesus never being born have to be refuted. Scholars have refuted this over and over. You don't have to a Christian but you need to be reasonable. The only people who do not believe in the historicity of Jesus are those that do not want to look at the facts. 

MrRage wrote:

Scholars laugh at those who say that the man Jesus never lived. You are in the very very small minority on this subject.

Who are these laughing scholars, and what are their works? How far in the minority are we? Can you give us a figure?

Well these Scholars on these sites keep saying over and over that this idea of Jesus not being born has been refuted. And they all say that only a small minority of Scholars doubt that Jesus was born. 

This is the same dumbass who was banned before. Somebody IP ban again.

Mr. Shizzle
Theist
Mr. Shizzle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bahana wrote: One thing to

Bahana wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is a difference between Catholics and Protestants. Catholic beliefs come from the Bible and their tradition, while most Protestants claim the Bible alone is the sole authority. That gives protestants a hard time, I think, because they intrepret the bible according to which tradition they come from. There's a reason why most Baptists interpret the Bible in a certain way, and most Lutherans interpret it another way.

Lutherans still have infant baptisms and other Catholic traditions. they are a mix of Protestant and Catholic. The Baptist goal is to follow the Bible alone. But people are people and sometimes they sometimes hold on to traditions. 

This is the same dumbass who was banned before. Somebody IP ban again.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Shizzle wrote: MrRage

Mr. Shizzle wrote:

MrRage wrote:
lil shizzle wrote:

http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/the_historicity_of_jesus_christ

To question the historicity of Jesus is like exactly like questioning  the historicity of Alexander. 

http://www.search.com/reference/Historical_Jesus

^ "The nonhistoricity thesis has always been controversial, and it has consistently failed to convince scholars of many disciplines and religious creeds. ... Biblical scholars and classical historians now regard it as effectively refuted." - Robert E. Van Voorst, Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2000), p. 16.

http://larrycorrell.brinkster.net/TheologicalDictionary/references.aspx?theword=historicity%20of%20Jesus

How many times does this idea of Jesus never being born have to be refuted. Scholars have refuted this over and over. You don't have to a Christian but you need to be reasonable. The only people who do not believe in the historicity of Jesus are those that do not want to look at the facts. 

MrRage wrote:

Scholars laugh at those who say that the man Jesus never lived. You are in the very very small minority on this subject.

Who are these laughing scholars, and what are their works? How far in the minority are we? Can you give us a figure?

Well these Scholars on these sites keep saying over and over that this idea of Jesus not being born has been refuted. And they all say that only a small minority of Scholars doubt that Jesus was born. 

Not one single contemporary account within. Jesus is a myth. Perhaps you should do some reading.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/rook_hawkins/the_jesus_mythicist_campaign/2901

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I asked "lil shizzle" to

I asked "lil shizzle" to show his/her cards and "Mr. Shizzle" answers me. What are these? Sock puppet accounts?

As Vastet pointed out, most of account in the article are not contemporary. The "Roman Sources" and "Antagonists of Christianity" references are all 2nd to 3rd century. Even Josephus was born after Jesus supposedly died. The article also claims that Christianity's popularity is evidence of a real Jesus, which is ridiculous.

Mr. Shizzle wrote:
To question the historicity of Jesus is like exactly like questioning the historicity of Alexander.

No one's make extraordinary claims about Alexander.

This site seems to be lifted from Wikipedia. Funny, you couldn't even answer my question correctly.

Mr. Shizzle wrote:
"The nonhistoricity thesis has always been controversial, and it has consistently failed to convince scholars of many disciplines and religious creeds. ... Biblical scholars and classical historians now regard it as effectively refuted." - Robert E. Van Voorst, Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2000), p. 16.

This, so far is the only thing that's seems reputable in the post. He wrote a book about the subject, so at least it looks like he might be worth reading. Note that I'm undecided about the historicity of Jesus, and I haven't studied as much. But somehow I doubt you've read this book, but only have quoted it from Wikipedia.

I've skimmed through this and I might look at it later. Doesn't look like there's a lot of reference to many other sources outside of the site or any scholarly works. But maybe I'm missing it.

Mr. Shizzle wrote:
How many times does this idea of Jesus never being born have to be refuted. Scholars have refuted this over and over.

Perhaps there's more room for debate than you realize? Perhaps there's newer evidence and scholarship that demands the question be raised?

Mr. Shizzle wrote:
You don't have to a Christian but you need to be reasonable.

Funny, I'm not a Christian because I strive to be reasonable.

Mr. Shizzle wrote:
The only people who do not believe in the historicity of Jesus are those that do not want to look at the facts.

False accusation.

MrRage wrote:
Scholars laugh at those who say that the man Jesus never lived. You are in the very very small minority on this subject. Who are these laughing scholars, and what are their works? How far in the minority are we? Can you give us a figure?

Mr. Shizzle wrote:

Yeah, saying things over and over makes it true, right? You didn't answer all my questions. How far in the minority are we? Can you give us a figure? Maybe your friend "lil shizzle" will. I won't hold my breath.

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Mr Shizzle - "Lutherans

Mr Shizzle - "Lutherans still have infant baptisms and other Catholic traditions. they are a mix of Protestant and Catholic. The Baptist goal is to follow the Bible alone. But people are people and sometimes they sometimes hold on to traditions."

I would consider Lutherans a protestant group. I just used them and Baptists as 2 examples. Lutherans do say they follow the Bible alone. Martin Luther is famous for: Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Scripture Alone. I don't think it exists in practice though because they all have their own traditional ways of interpreting the Bible. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: I asked "lil

MrRage wrote:
I asked "lil shizzle" to show his/her cards and "Mr. Shizzle" answers me. What are these? Sock puppet accounts?

I'm not them. Think he/she/it's parodying my screenname for some reason?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: MrRage

MattShizzle wrote:

MrRage wrote:

I'm not them. Think he/she/it's parodying my screenname for some reason?

Perhaps they're trying to parody you, but whatever they're trying to do they're not doing it well. "Mr. Shizzle" appears to be banned. They can't even touch your > 2500 posts.

Can_You_dig_it
User is offlineOffline
I started out on this site

I started out on this site being serious and answer any questions I could, but I was not listen too and I was booted for showing errors in some of the arguments, which I do not think was fair. Then I got very immature and started just attacking which I should not have done. It was not the Christian thing to do. I am very sorry. I will not come back and post anymore. Some of my post were deleted, but I am Gump, lil shizzle, Mr. Shizzle, and questions. Whether you know it or not God loves you. I love you, eventhough I did not act like it and I am sorry. Matt, Mr. Rage, and Hamby I did enjoy talking with you all. Know this people are praying for you and love you. I ask of you this, I'm not sure if you have ever had any encounters with church, but I would challenge you to go to a bible believing church and just try it out. See what they say and what you think. Any church worth its salt will love you and will treat you with the upmost respect. Don't judge Christianity by Christians, judge it by Christ. We have failed missrebly. Just look at the fool I have made out of myself. THere are people who want to meet you and show you God's love. I pray that God reveals himself to you in a way that cannot be denied. So may  God bless and I hope there are no hard feelings.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Can_You_dig_it wrote:

Can_You_dig_it wrote:

I am Gump, lil shizzle, Mr. Shizzle, and questions. Whether you know it or not God loves you.

You've made 4 accounts, after the first was banned the rules state you're not welcome here. You ventured onto "private property" and "stole" our bandwidth. You're a liar and a thief. And you want me to learn how you learned...

Quote:
I would challenge you to go to a bible believing church and just try it out.

I think it's safe to say you also have signs of mental insanity. I spent the first 14 years of my life in and out of churches, and that was 14 too many. Youre moral foundation allows you to be a thief and a liar and receive forgiveness for it from a mythical being, my moral code makes me accountable to myself and others. I feel abundantly more moral than you, and I don't want to go to your church to learn your way of life... I've spent the last 15 years trying to unlearn it.

Good riddance.

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Quote: I

Sapient wrote:

Quote:
I would challenge you to go to a bible believing church and just try it out.

I think it's safe to say you also have signs of mental insanity. I spent the first 14 years of my life in and out of churches, and that was 14 too many. Youre moral foundation allows you to be a thief and a liar and receive forgiveness for it from a mythical being, my moral code makes me accountable to myself and others. I feel abundantly more moral than you, and I don't want to go to your church to learn your way of life... I've spent the last 15 years trying to unlearn it.

Good riddance.

most of the people on this site, in fact, were bible-believing christians at one point. hell, i still go to a bible study with my christian friends, and manage to stay atheist. most christians just think we're atheists because we know nothing about religion.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deluded said, "Communion,

Deluded said, "Communion, and the eating the bread as the body of Christ, and wine as the blood of christ"

Check out John 6:31-72, commonly called (among Catholics) the "Eucharistic Discourse".   It's a bit long, so I'll quote portions and summarize instead of cutting and pasting the whole thing.

The Jews ask Jesus to give them a sign that they may believe, saying that Moses gave theri fathers manna in the desert to eat.  Jesus tells them four times that he is the 'bread of life" and then tells them in verse 50 "This is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he may not die."

And again in verse 52 "If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world."

And once again in verse 54 "Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you."

Verse 56 "For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed."

The rest of the passage goes on to say that this teaching was so difficult for many of the disciples that they stopped following him. 

John concludes the discourse by implying that it was at this point that Judas became disillusioned with Jesus' teaching.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey all.  I'm new here and

Hey all.  I'm new here and don't kow how to make the cool lil gray boxes for quoting other posts that you all use, so please bear with me.

Technarch wrote:

There are a number of beliefs from the church and the surrounding Christian culture that are taken for granted as Christian doctrine but are not actually in the Bible. Name as many as you can think of.

-The first pope was St Peter or St Paul

Jesus tells Peter that he will head the Church on earth in Matt 16:18-19 "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.  19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

And in Luke 22:31-32 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded to have you (plural in the Greek), that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you (singular in the Greek) that your faith may not fail; and when yopu have turned again, strengthen your brethren."

In John 21:15-17 Jesus asks three times for Peter to confirm his love for the Lord, aand after each profession of love, tells Peter to "feed my lambs", "tend my flock", "feed my sheep".

In Acts 2:14-42 Peter takes the lead in preaching and baptizing new believers on Pentecost.

In Acts 10:45-48 Peter "commanded" the other Apostles and disciples to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ.

Other indicators: 

Peter is the only Apostle whose name is changed and whose new name is used in place of the old.  Throughout salvation history, this is an indicator of a change in the status of the person, eg Abram becomes Abraham, Sarai becomes Sarah, Jacob becomes Israel.

Peter is chosen by Jesus to be near or with him on several auspicious occassions, the Transfiguration, the Agony in the Garden, the Trial before the High Priest.

When the Apostles are named as a group, Peter's name is usually listed first, an ancient literary indicator of respect and primacy.

The office of the Papacy is prefigured well in Isaiah 22:20-23, if anyone's interested in looking at an OT prophecy.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
totus_tuus wrote: Hey all.

totus_tuus wrote:

Hey all. I'm new here and don't kow how to make the cool lil gray boxes for quoting other posts that you all use, so please bear with me.

Hi totus_tuus.  Yeah, sometimes there's a bit of a learning curve with stuff like this.

If you want to do one of the "cool lil gray boxes", instead of clicking on "reply" or "add a comment", click on "quote" at the bottom of the post you wish to quote.  The quoting will all be laid out for you in the text edit box.

It's very much like HTML.  Be sure you have an open tag (I'm adding extra spaces so the quote function doesn't kick in)

[ quote = person's name] text text text

and to end the quote you will see

[ / quote ]

If that doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll try to do better.  Laughing

By the way, using the text editor on this site works much better with FireFox than it does with other browsers. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: totus_tuus

Susan wrote:
totus_tuus wrote:

Hey all. I'm new here and don't kow how to make the cool lil gray boxes for quoting other posts that you all use, so please bear with me.

Hi totus_tuus.  Yeah, sometimes there's a bit of a learning curve with stuff like this.

If you want to do one of the "cool lil gray boxes", instead of clicking on "reply" or "add a comment", click on "quote" at the bottom of the post you wish to quote.  The quoting will all be laid out for you in the text edit box.

It's very much like HTML.  Be sure you have an open tag (I'm adding extra spaces so the quote function doesn't kick in)

[ quote = person's name] text text text

and to end the quote you will see

[ / quote ]

If that doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll try to do better.  Laughing

By the way, using the text editor on this site works much better with FireFox than it does with other browsers. 

Like that?  Thanks, Susan.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

There's nothing I'm aware of in the bible about abortion.

Technically, there is.

Quote:
Exodus 21:22 "If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she has a miscarriage but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

In other words, the unborn is not counted as human in the OT. If it was a person, the penalty would be death, not a fine.

yoyoyoyo wrote:

Quote:
-The one given power over the world in Revelations 13 is the Antichrist

-where is this book of revelations you speak of?

Quit being a prick. The book is alternately called the Book of Revelation, Revelations, the Book of Revelations, Revelation, the Revelations of John, and the Revelation of John.

yoyoyoyo wrote:
Quote:
-Jesus states he is the son of God

John the baptist did, as well as the disciples. it is in God's word, so doesnt that mean that God said it too?

Jesus also said we are all god's children. Technically, I am the son of god too.

yoyoyoyo wrote:
Quote:
-Jesus states he is God

bah, let's see...jesus claimed to be able to forgive sins. jesus said that if his disciples didnt worship him, the rocks would. jesus called himself the "son of man," fulfilling old testament prophecy that was easilly understood by the jews. jesus said "the father and i are one, if you have seen me you have also seen the father. im sure there are more, but four is three more than enough.

In the old testament, "son of man" meant "son of Adam" which really meant anyone male who is descended from Adam. If Adam is the first man, I'm a son of Adam. As for the rest...Priests also claim to be able to forgive sins, and anyone can forgive sins that were committed against them. Rocks didn't worship Jesus, and people worshipping someone doesn't make them divine. Hindus believe that all things are one, united through Brahma, and it's not a large stretch to belive Jesus was talking about such a unity.

yoyoyoyo wrote:
Quote:
-Angels, demons and Satan are as they appear in medieval/rennaisance paintings

-wow, just wow.

Quote:
-Christ was born December 25th and visited by three kings

again, i didnt know this was christian doctrine, i feel like im losing my faith!

Well, the first one was more of a joke, and Christians DO celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December. They also believe that 3 kings visited Jesus, though the Bible neither states that there were three of them, nor that they were kings.

fadeleaf wrote:

31 Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"

33"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

Jesus does claim to be God.

The Jews interpreted it as that. Jesus could have been referring to the Hindu tradition of being "one with god", which were known to the Jews of the time.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me address the claim

Let me address the claim that Heaven and Hell be separate places from the physical earth not being shown in the Bible.  The best declaration of this doctrine in the Scriptures is the story of Lazarus, the beggar and the rich man related in Luke 16:19-31.  I believe that this teaching is an anecdote, rather than a story, something which Jesus knew to have actually happened, since it is the only parable where Jesus names the characters involved.

v22-24 "The poor man (Lazarus) died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom .  The rich man also dided and was buried; and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham for off and Lazarus in his bosom.  And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy upon me and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in anguish in this flame.'"

So Lazarus, while not yet in "heaven" is resting in Abraham's bosom with the knowledge of his eventual entry into the Church Triumphant, while the rich man is in Hades.  Abraham goes onto to explain that the rich man had his reward on earth, while on earth Lazarus suffered with no relief from the rich man who was well aware of his suffering.  Abraham explains firthewr in verse 26 "'And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.'" This shows us that these are indeed quite separate places.

Lazarus then begs Abraham to send Lazarus into the world to warn his brothers to repent, so that they would not have to suffer in the afterlife.  The Gospel says "'...They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them...'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced if some one should rise from the dead.'" (v30-31)

Technarch
User is offlineOffline
Quote: John 10:31-3330 "I

Quote:

The "Jesus never says he is God" claim comes from some Muslim arguments, which are correct in that Jesus never says "I am God" directly, while most of the time other characters in the Bible speak of Jesus' divinity or claims (other people say Jesus says he's divine, and other people say Jesus is divine, but Jesus never says it himself). 

He does say it indirectly by saying he is equal to God the father, which is why Christians have interpreted this to mean they are the same person.  This is the closest it gets to Jesus saying he is God, but why does it seem like he's referring to his father as a separate being?  He never really explains what it means to be equal to his father, whether it means being of an equal level of authority but separate, or exactly equal and the same being.  Different Christian sects have different interpretations, where Jesus and God are seperate entities, Jesus and God are the same being, or Jesus and God are separate and together at the same time, or Jesus is a prophetic teacher acting as a gateway to God, Jesus is an avatar using God's power.  Jesus is comparing himself to the father as if separate, and also stating he is equal as if joined, leaving  open the exact nature of this relationship.  Jesus makes statements about being equal to God but never describes how or what he means exactly, so we're left to assume he means he is God, and then believe that's exactly what he meant rather than speaking philosophically or allegorically.  It's more interpretive than "I am God."

http://www.answering-islam.de/Main/Shamoun/unique.htm