Bible errors - Best ones and why

Will_Know
User is offlineOffline
Bible errors - Best ones and why

Ciao!
Hello everyone, my very first post in this great forum. I enjoyed many threads and a lot of your professional answers!

I am an atheist, humanist, and I'm writing an essay on these matters.
One of the chapters is about errors in the bible.
What I'm trying to do is to assemble a minimum number of them, very clear, relatively simple, and unattackable. They must be not confutable, but by silly rationalizations!

I have ideas but also a few doubts, and here I'm looking for your competence to sharpen my thesis.
Like it? Hope so!

Let's go. Here are the areas, among the others, I' think I will cover:

- Contraddictions
Creation story - is Gn 1 and 3 (edit: ops, 2) really contraddictory, or is it the same account stated from different points of view (as apologists claim)?
Creation story 2 - Adam & Eve didn't die. On the base of the original hebrew word (which was it?), may we be sure that 'spiritual death' is no more than rationalization?
Decalogue - 3 versions, no probs here I guess.
Jesus genealogy - Apologists claim that luke's is that of Mary. Is it defendable?
Resurrection - accounts are irreconciliable, no probs here.
Punishment onto next generations - Deut. 24:16 vs 1 commandment
Love god but fear god - Can it be reconcilied?

- Absurd science
Genesis again - Plants before light: I heard smone say 'the light was God itself'. Does it make sense?
Universe time-span - Is the day/night story explainable by saying that 'God's days spans millennia/ages'?
Flood - No space for all animals (given they were inside someway), ok. It is considered a 'metaphor' nowdays, but didn't apostles/Paul cite it as true, somewhere?
Ruminant rabbits, bat as birds?

- Spurious passages
Verginity - Matthew beginning. What about Luke's?
The 'let he who is without sin...' incident - Isn't it a later addiction?
Resurrection - Mark end. Any other?
Trinity - Comma Jovanneus and Mt 28:19. Plus can I just state that the whole concept was extraneous to earliest communities?

- Violence and immorality
A lot! - Basically 2 or 3 described ones, to be followed by a long list of verses. I shouldn't have any prob here. Smiling

Here it is. Now share your knowledge with me if you care, I'm waiting for your comments, suggestions and anything else you think I shouldn't miss!

Thank you,
WK

Tyler
Tyler's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leaves Much To Be Desired

Leaves Much To Be Desired

True, the Bible leaves much to be desired. To say that the Bible is inerrant would be, according to me, ignorant. Well-

1Corintheans 14:38-But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

'I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' - Voltaire

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
questions wrote: But if

questions wrote:
But if there is a God then He is the judge and those that hated Him will be sent to Hell. And God is the basis of all knowledge. Wisdom comes from fear of the Lord.

questions,

How do you know "those that hated him will be sent to hell"? How do you know the heart of a man?  Do not judge for yourself based on what you hear alone; remember the saying - believe half of what you see and NOTHING of what you hear.  Wisdom is a gift from God, not something you can attain yourself though fear... 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tyler wrote: True, the

Tyler wrote:
True, the Bible leaves much to be desired. To say that the Bible is inerrant would be, according to me, ignorant. Well-

LOL man you guys just love to take the bible out of context to suit your point don't you?

1 Cor 14:37-38 (NKJ):  If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

1 Cor 14: 37-38 (NASB): If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment. But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.

The verse is referring to someone who is acting on his own behalf and not that of God's when speaking as a spirtual leader.  Think Jim Jones or David Koresh type....what were you reading?

Second, the bible does not contain errors when 1. properly translated and 2. taken into context of the time when it was written.  Sorry bud...try again.... 

What is faith? Is it to believe that which is evident? No. It is perfectly evident to my mind that there exists a necessary, eternal, supreme, and intelligent being. This is no matter of faith, but of reason. - Voltaire

questions
Theist
questions's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

questions wrote:
But if there is a God then He is the judge and those that hated Him will be sent to Hell. And God is the basis of all knowledge. Wisdom comes from fear of the Lord.

questions,

How do you know "those that hated him will be sent to hell"? How do you know the heart of a man? Do not judge for yourself based on what you hear alone; remember the saying - believe half of what you see and NOTHING of what you hear. Wisdom is a gift from God, not something you can attain yourself though fear...

Hatred are not words. Hate comes from the heart of the man. John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Anyone who rejects Jesus will be sent to Hell. 

Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Mod: Two-Day Timeout for Lying 3/23/2007

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
questions wrote: Hatred are

questions wrote:
Hatred are not words. Hate comes from the heart of the man.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

But all of that first comes AFTER the gift of knowing God to begin with....you cannot fear what you do not know and it is not man's ability to simply choose to know for only God gives that gift (Romans 9).  Remember, "He who has ears, let him hear"...this is why the Jews rejected him because it was the will of God to do what was done.  Those who are not of the elect will be judged accordingly but no person on this planet should think this person or that person will go to hell...period.  Evil brings evil even in the unconscious form.  Did Jesus reject the Samaritan woman?  The Roman solider?  The adulterous woman?  He condemned no one and set the example and we should all live up to that...especially if you believe for you will be judged by your peers even harder than most.

I can't say any person for rejecting Jesus is going to hell any more than the next person.  I am not God and therefore I am not judge or jury.  It's the Pharaoh/Hitler analogy - who are we to say that they are in hell (Romans 9)?  Cannot God put individuals for any purpose he wishes and accordingly save them for accomplishing it?

questions
Theist
questions's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

questions wrote:
Hatred are not words. Hate comes from the heart of the man.

John 14:6

But all of that first comes AFTER the gift of knowing God to begin with....you cannot fear what you do not know and it is not man's ability to simply choose to know for only God gives that gift (Romans 9). Remember, "He who has ears, let him hear"...this is why the Jews rejected him because it was the will of God to do what was done. Those who are not of the elect will be judged accordingly but no person on this planet should think this person or that person will go to hell...period. Evil brings evil even in the unconscious form. Did Jesus reject the Samaritan woman? The Roman solider? The adulterous woman? He condemned no one and set the example and we should all live up to that...especially if you believe for you will be judged by your peers even harder than most.

I can't say any person for rejecting Jesus is going to hell any more than the next person. I am not God and therefore I am not judge or jury. It's the Pharaoh/Hitler analogy - who are we to say that they are in hell (Romans 9)? Cannot God put individuals for any purpose he wishes and accordingly save them for accomplishing it?

I agree that it is God's grace that wisdom comes, but not everyone heeds to that wisdom. By fearing the Lord (which means respecting God and following what He says) does wisdom come. The fool hears, but does not understand. The American Atheist has heard the Word of God, but they do not believe.

And as for who will go to heaven, if you didn't need to believe in Jesus why did he waste his time dying on the cross. It would be against God's nature to let those who reject Him into heaven. This entire website got blasphemy wrong. It is not by words that you reject the Holy Spirit it is by your heart and your deeds. When you live a life and you reject God you commit blasphemy, which is a sin that can not be forgiven. To say that someone will go to heaven who denies God makes Christianity pointless. Why witness, why send missionairies, why follow God in the first place, if it is not for trusting in Jesus. Do you think Christ told anyone believe in or don't believe in me, God will figure out who should go and who shouldn't go to heaven.

John 14:5-6
 5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know THE way?"

6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Christ is THE way. Not a way. He is THE truth, and THE life. NO ONE comes to the Father except throught Christ.

Being a good boy or girl doesn't cut it. No one is righteouss no not one. Only giving your life to Christ will save you. Anyone who tries to save his life will lose it. But those who lose their life will save it.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
questions wrote: I agree

questions wrote:
I agree that it is God's grace that wisdom comes, but not everyone heeds to that wisdom. By fearing the Lord (which means respecting God and following what He says) does wisdom come. The fool hears, but does not understand. The American Atheist has heard the Word of God, but they do not believe.

But you are going around the point that scripture makes - no person can choose to believe.  Only God grants that gift and understanding with it.  The "American Atheist" as you put it, how can he/she understand if God has not given him/her the ability to do so?  It is not by their means that they can understand it according to the scripture.

questions wrote:
And as for who will go to heaven, if you didn't need to believe in Jesus why did he waste his time dying on the cross.

There is a bit more than that.  You have to understand WHY he did, not just the historical event. 

questions wrote:
It would be against God's nature to let those who reject Him into heaven. This entire website got blasphemy wrong. It is not by words that you reject the Holy Spirit it is by your heart and your deeds. When you live a life and you reject God you commit blasphemy, which is a sin that can not be forgiven.

Scripture does not say this. While I have a thread that begs the question about this so called challenge (the use of Mark 3 out of context), blasphemy is not the central theme to RRS.  The life you live, whether as a believer or not, is done by God's purpose.  There is only ONE sin that is not forgiven, not two, not 10, not the thousands of ways to be evil.  No matter who that person is, we as humans were told specifically by Jesus, do not judge for you are not wiser than God and you have no ability to know who is forgiven and who is not.

Matthew 7: 1-2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Matthew 5: 46-48 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

questions wrote:
To say that someone will go to heaven who denies God makes Christianity pointless. Why witness, why send missionairies, why follow God in the first place, if it is not for trusting in Jesus. Do you think Christ told anyone believe in or don't believe in me, God will figure out who should go and who shouldn't go to heaven.

But not everyone who says they are a believer will be saved either because not all who say it meant in from their hearts. 

Matthew 7: 21-23 Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Jesus very plainly knows the faith of a person, he knows their hearts, and it is by that, not the professing by their mouths, by who is saved (Matthew 7:16-20).

questions wrote:
Christ is THE way. Not a way. He is THE truth, and THE life. NO ONE comes to the Father except throught Christ.

Being a good boy or girl doesn't cut it. No one is righteouss no not one. Only giving your life to Christ will save you. Anyone who tries to save his life will lose it. But those who lose their life will save it.

But again, it is not YOU who makes the conscious choice but rather God who uses you and uses your spirit in conjunction though the holy spirit that brings you to salvation and gives you the truth.

questions
Theist
questions's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

questions wrote:

But you are going around the point that scripture makes - no person can choose to believe. Only God grants that gift and understanding with it. The "American Atheist" as you put it, how can he/she understand if God has not given him/her the ability to do so? It is not by their means that they can understand it according to the scripture.

questions wrote:
And as for who will go to heaven, if you didn't need to believe in Jesus why did he waste his time dying on the cross.

There is a bit more than that. You have to understand WHY he did, not just the historical event.

questions wrote:
It would be against God's nature to let those who reject Him into heaven. This entire website got blasphemy wrong. It is not by words that you reject the Holy Spirit it is by your heart and your deeds. When you live a life and you reject God you commit blasphemy, which is a sin that can not be forgiven.

Scripture does not say this. While I have a thread that begs the question about this so called challenge (the use of Mark 3 out of context), blasphemy is not the central theme to RRS. The life you live, whether as a believer or not, is done by God's purpose. There is only ONE sin that is not forgiven, not two, not 10, not the thousands of ways to be evil. No matter who that person is, we as humans were told specifically by Jesus, do not judge for you are not wiser than God and you have no ability to know who is forgiven and who is not.

Matthew 7: 1-2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Matthew 5: 46-48 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

questions wrote:
To say that someone will go to heaven who denies God makes Christianity pointless. Why witness, why send missionairies, why follow God in the first place, if it is not for trusting in Jesus. Do you think Christ told anyone believe in or don't believe in me, God will figure out who should go and who shouldn't go to heaven.

But not everyone who says they are a believer will be saved either because not all who say it meant in from their hearts.

Matthew 7: 21-23 Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Jesus very plainly knows the faith of a person, he knows their hearts, and it is by that, not the professing by their mouths, by who is saved (Matthew 7:16-20).

questions wrote:

But again, it is not YOU who makes the conscious choice but rather God who uses you and uses your spirit in conjunction though the holy spirit that brings you to salvation and gives you the truth.

It seems that you are a calvinist and we completely disagree then, although this is not the place for Christians to argue. I wasn't saying that admiting that Christ died and asking him to save me would save me. By saying a sentence I am not saved nor do I blaspheme the Holy Spirit. It is giving your life to Christ. But I am not judging anyone here. I do not know who is saved and who isn't. But I do know that if you reject God you will go to Hell. Either that is the truth or the Bible is wrong. That is what the Bible says. 

Luke 13:1Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

unless you turn from your sin, which means turn to God, you too will perish. Do not fool the people in this forum that they don't need God to be saved. Unless they change they will go to hell. It is the same for everyone in this world. No one born in a Christian home is saved. It isn't until they give their life to Christ that they are saved.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
questions wrote: It seems

questions wrote:
It seems that you are a calvinist and we completely disagree then, although this is not the place for Christians to argue. I wasn't saying that admiting that Christ died and asking him to save me would save me. By saying a sentence I am not saved nor do I blaspheme the Holy Spirit. It is giving your life to Christ. But I am not judging anyone here. I do not know who is saved and who isn't. But I do know that if you reject God you will go to Hell. Either that is the truth or the Bible is wrong. That is what the Bible says.

unless you turn from your sin, which means turn to God, you too will perish. Do not fool the people in this forum that they don't need God to be saved. Unless they change they will go to hell. It is the same for everyone in this world. No one born in a Christian home is saved. It isn't until they give their life to Christ that they are saved.

Make no mistake I don't disagree however in order for one to reject God, one must be made aware of him.  Take Judas for example.  Many believe that because he betrayed Jesus he was damned but who are we to say that.   Because Judas followed God's plan who are we to say that what he did was first off evil and second off condemnable?  Who are we to say that anyone from RRS is damned, even Sapiant, who said he used to believe, and then founded this.  God knows his heart and if this is God's plan to use him for this purpose, who am I to tell Sapiant he's going to hell.  

You are right in that you are not born into Christianity or the belief in God.  But it is not on man's will to simply give their lives over to Jesus...

Read Romans 9 (the whole chapter), noting verse 16: It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

And again in Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

And lastly the words from Jesus directly:

Matthew 11: 27 No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

All of which reveal that no one simply chooses to go to Jesus; God turns on the switch if you will and then you call, and that is where we get to Matthew 7, and from that point you know God though Jesus.  And this is the "elect" that are professed several times in the new testament (such as in Matthew 24).

Though all this, this is where no questions asked salvation comes from.  For the non-elect, God simply did not just condemn them all, because after all who are we to judge.

Tyler
Tyler's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: Tyler

razorphreak wrote:
Tyler wrote:

LOL man you guys just love to take the bible out of context to suit your point don't you?

1 Cor 14:37-38 (NKJ):  If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

1 Cor 14: 37-38 (NASB): If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment. But if anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.

The verse is referring to someone who is acting on his own behalf and not that of God's when speaking as a spirtual leader.  Think Jim Jones or David Koresh type....what were you reading?

Second, the bible does not contain errors when 1. properly translated and 2. taken into context of the time when it was written.  Sorry bud...try again.... 

How very humble of you...especially because I have read all of Corintheans, knew what they meant, but decided to use that verse for a little fun. I guess you, being the super intelligent Bible thumper you are, decided to correct my every sentence. How about this, then? Properly translate it, bud, and until then, you have no proof.

'I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' - Voltaire

bcreason
User is offlineOffline
Razorphreak When I was a

Razorphreak

When I was a Christian I always wanted to know somethings and was too embarassed to ask.

Maybe you could answer them for me.

Where did Cain's wife come from?

When God banished Cain for killing Abel, Cain was afraid that anyone could walk up to him and kill him. So god put a mark on Cain so that anyone who murdered Cain would be punished seven fold.

Who was Cain afraid of?

After Cain was banished Adam & Eve had another son Seth.

Where did Seth's wife come from?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
bcreason wrote: Maybe you

bcreason wrote:
Maybe you could answer them for me.

Where did Cain's wife come from?

When God banished Cain for killing Abel, Cain was afraid that anyone could walk up to him and kill him. So god put a mark on Cain so that anyone who murdered Cain would be punished seven fold.

Who was Cain afraid of?

After Cain was banished Adam & Eve had another son Seth.

Where did Seth's wife come from?

no disrespect, but why do you care?  Does it really mean anything?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
It means the Genesis story

It means the Genesis story does not add up. 

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: It means the

AiiA wrote:

Again why do you care about those details?  The Book of Genesis doesn't concern the reader with those details because they are not important.  It doesn't add up because you are finding ways to go out of context to the meaning and make it not add up (say I want to tell you the story of what I bought for groceries but you started asking what streets did I drive though...would it matter?).

If I start describing a football game but only told you the final score, do you really care who won the opening kickoff?  Do you care what happened on the second play of the game? 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: If I

razorphreak wrote:

If I start describing a football game but only told you the final score, do you really care who won the opening kickoff? Do you care what happened on the second play of the game?

I do.  I like to know how my team went, how the scores progressed, how the points were acculmulated (all at the end, progressive with the lead changing etc), who scored and how they were set up, whether it was a one sided match, whether the team played well or just had a few spurts of brilliance etc. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:

AiiA wrote:

Again why do you care about those details? The Book of Genesis doesn't concern the reader with those details because they are not important.
I see. So the religious community some how selects which details are important and which details are not? Or perhaps, no details are important. Well, those of us who think there should be consistency in details consider it important because some believers think every word in the bible is true. With problems like this, it proves they are either lying or they have no clue to what they are talking about. If they don't know what they are talking about, it shows that they are wholly dishonest because here they are telling me something that they claim to know and they obviously do not. Worse yet is that they could be simply repeating what someone else told them, which in this case, it make them look like a fool because they believed it without even bothering to check.

Most people's belief in a god rests solely on the bible, if it can be demonstrated that the bible is inaccurate and self contradictory, it should be evidential that their belief in a god is problematic.

Quote:
It doesn't add up because you are finding ways to go out of context to the meaning and make it not add up
No. It doesn't add up because it does not add up.
Quote:
(say I want to tell you the story of what I bought for groceries but you started asking what streets did I drive though...would it matter?).

If I start describing a football game but only told you the final score, do you really care who won the opening kickoff? Do you care what happened on the second play of the game?
These are false analogies, because the existence of groceries is not in question; the existence of a god is in question. As for football, these details are discussed at length between fans, so this is not a representative analogy either.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:

thingy wrote:
I do. I like to know how my team went, how the scores progressed, how the points were acculmulated (all at the end, progressive with the lead changing etc), who scored and how they were set up, whether it was a one sided match, whether the team played well or just had a few spurts of brilliance etc.

I just knew someone would come back with that kind of answer. Thanks superfan...

AiiA wrote:
I see. So the religious community some how selects which details are important and which details are not? Or perhaps, no details are important. Well, those of us who think there should be consistency in details consider it important because some believers think every word in the bible is true.

Ah but there is consistency.  It is not this thread to give bible studies however...

AiiA wrote:
With problems like this, it proves they are either lying or they have no clue to what they are talking about. If they don't know what they are talking about, it shows that they are wholly dishonest because here they are telling me something that they claim to know and they obviously do not. Worse yet is that they could be simply repeating what someone else told them, which in this case, it make them look like a fool because they believed it without even bothering to check.

Assumptions assumptions. Because you do not understand the consistency or the message, you automatically jump to a "they are telling lies" position? It has been my impression that atheists do not care with the message from the bible but concern themselves with discreditation instead. The point of the bible is God, not man. This is why I tell you the details which you ask are not important.

AiiA wrote:
These are false analogies, because the existence of groceries is not in question; the existence of a god is in question. As for football, these details are discussed at length between fans, so this is not a representative analogy either.

Ah yes...the typical response.  I guess I'm much less of a fan than you because I don't tell my buddies about the second play of the game if that play was a 2 yard run that made little difference later.  And that's not a false analogy because we are talking about details of a story; I would not tell you play by play in a football game if you didn't watch the game and the writer of the book of Genesis is not going to tell you a daily journal in the lives of every man listed.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would wonder how much

I would wonder how much attention you were paying attention to the game, not to mention question your sanity if you made the claim that the quarterback scored a touchdown by teleporting from the 20-yard line to the endzone, or that he threw the ball straight up and it moved into the receivers hand on its own (like a guided missile.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I would

MattShizzle wrote:
I would wonder how much attention you were paying attention to the game, not to mention question your sanity if you made the claim that the quarterback scored a touchdown by teleporting from the 20-yard line to the endzone, or that he threw the ball straight up and it moved into the receivers hand on its own (like a guided missile.)

And you just proved how much, or should I say how little, you pay attention to what people write.  I didn't say that I would leave out important details if I'm describing a football game, I said I'm not going to bother describing every single play if all I'm giving is a recap.  Not even ESPN does that.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: AiiA

razorphreak wrote:
AiiA wrote:
I see. So the religious community some how selects which details are important and which details are not? Or perhaps, no details are important. Well, those of us who think there should be consistency in details consider it important because some believers think every word in the bible is true.

Ah but there is consistency. It is not this thread to give bible studies however...
You are simply lying.

Quote:
AiiA wrote:
With problems like this, it proves they are either lying or they have no clue to what they are talking about. If they don't know what they are talking about, it shows that they are wholly dishonest because here they are telling me something that they claim to know and they obviously do not. Worse yet is that they could be simply repeating what someone else told them, which in this case, it make them look like a fool because they believed it without even bothering to check.

Assumptions assumptions.
Thats right assumptions, assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. You're pretty good at that aren't. Do you have any evidence to back up your bible or are you assumptious?
Quote:
Because you do not understand the consistency or the message, you automatically jump to a "they are telling lies" position? It has been my impression that atheists do not care with the message from the bible but concern themselves with discreditation instead. The point of the bible is God, not man. This is why I tell you the details which you ask are not important.
Actually, I think you are ignoring the details so you can absolve the obvious problems in the bible. Isn't that what apologetics is about?

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

Ah yes...the typical response.
Ah yes...the typical response.
Quote:
I guess I'm much less of a fan than you because I don't tell my buddies about the second play of the game if that play was a 2 yard run that made little difference later. And that's not a false analogy because we are talking about details of a story;
It is clearly a false analogy. This is not about stories.
Quote:
I would not tell you play by play in a football game if you didn't watch the game and the writer of the book of Genesis is not going to tell you a daily journal in the lives of every man listed.
Ah yes...the typical response. Quite typical. Then why use the bible at all?????

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: You are simply

AiiA wrote:
You are simply lying.

According to whom?  You?

AiiA wrote:
Do you have any evidence to back up your bible or are you assumptious?

And if I did, would you believe it?

AiiA wrote:
Actually, I think you are ignoring the details so you can absolve the obvious problems in the bible. Isn't that what apologetics is about?

first you want details, then you don't??

AiiA wrote:
Ah yes...the typical response. Quite typical. Then why use the bible at all?????

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was atheists who questioned what was written, not believers.  Why then would you start the conversation with the bible and then question why use it? 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

AiiA wrote:
You are simply lying.

According to whom? You?

show me the consistency

Quote:
AiiA wrote:
Do you have any evidence to back up your bible or are you assumptious?

And if I did, would you believe it?

Yes, lets see it

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

first you want details, then you don't??

I don't want shit, I want truth, facts, reality, honesty. Your response doesn't even correspond to what I said. Thusly you exhibit dishonesty.

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it was atheists who questioned what was written, not believers. Why then would you start the conversation with the bible and then question why use it?

Ah yes...the typical response. Your response doesn't even correspond to what I said.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: show me the

AiiA wrote:
show me the consistency

This has already been done, by many, yet you still reject it and the only explanation for rejection given is "show proof".  You are asking me to answer what has already been answered; I'm sorry if you don't understand it.  I really am.  The same goes for my "proof"...I could get into how I know of God because God made himself known to me, etc. etc. etc., but then, I don't think you'll believe it then either.

AiiA wrote:
I don't want shit, I want truth, facts, reality, honesty. Your response doesn't even correspond to what I said. Thusly you exhibit dishonesty.

You've been given the truth as to the meaning of the bible and you reject it anyway, if because there is no truth, you'll fall back on the "God doesn't exist" (what was that saying I've heard used, no true scotsman?)  argument.  I have no reason to lie to you, especially here.  You call me a liar because you don't accept what I tell you as the truth.

AiiA wrote:
Your response doesn't even correspond to what I said.

Gee...how do you figure that?  Could it be because you didn't take what I told you in context FIRST?  Naaaaaaaaaaa....... 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That doesn't count as proof

That doesn't count as proof for the same reason an inmate of a mental hospital's belief that he is Napoleon does not count as evidence that he actually is.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: That

MattShizzle wrote:
That doesn't count as proof for the same reason an inmate of a mental hospital's belief that he is Napoleon does not count as evidence that he actually is.

Exactly the point I was making.  If you saw a UFO, or a ghost, or a crime being committed, and you know what you saw, but no one believed you, does that make the evidence you know to be true any less of value?  Does it make you any less of a person?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It wouldn't make me less of

It wouldn't make me less of a person, but it does make the evidence of less value. Say I did believe I saw a UFO - that doesn't mean I actually witnessed an alien spacecraft. Other explanations:

1. I was dreaming

2. I am suffering from a mental illness

3. I was witnessing the production of a movie.

4. It was an illusion, Venus, swamp gas, a secret military aircraft, etc.

5. It was a prank done with a fake UFO (they do make kits for doing this.)

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL I like number 4...

LOL I like number 4...

And if 1. you know you are awake, 2. have never had nor has your family had any mental illness, 3. no movies being shot that day where you live, 4. confirmations that Venus was not in your line of sight, you had no swamp gas in the area, and the military didn't even send up a plane that day, and 5. you are in the middle of a field where no one else was around to play a prank....then what?

As I've heard many times on this site, "observable" evidence must conclude you saw a UFO...hence your evidence, at least to you as the observer, has no loss of value.

Excusing it as a mental illness or anything else is a cop-out and shows exactly how open minded you truly are to new science, or in the case of God, awareness.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
You truly are ridiculous.

You truly are ridiculous. How would you know the military did not send up a secret aircraft? You really think they'd tell you that? "Observable" evidence in a scientific sense is under conditions much more controlled than that. Did you know eyewitness testimony, though it's unfortunately effective in court, has been show to be among the LEAST reliable forms of evidence? And anyway, a feeling does not even come close to being "observable" evidence. Being "aware" of God is no different from being "aware" that the CIA is controlling your mind via satellite. Better wrap your head in aluminum foil!

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:
AiiA wrote:
show me the consistency
This has already been done, by many, yet you still reject it and the only explanation for rejection given is "show proof". You are asking me to answer what has already been answered; I'm sorry if you don't understand it. I really am. The same goes for my "proof"...I could get into how I know of God because God made himself known to me, etc. etc. etc., but then, I don't think you'll believe it then either.

AiiA wrote:

You've been given the truth as to the meaning of the bible and you reject it anyway, if because there is no truth, you'll fall back on the "God doesn't exist" (what was that saying I've heard used, no true scotsman?) argument. I have no reason to lie to you, especially here. You call me a liar because you don't accept what I tell you as the truth.

AiiA wrote:
Your response doesn't even correspond to what I said.

Gee...how do you figure that? Could it be because you didn't take what I told you in context FIRST? Naaaaaaaaaaa.......
How do you know what I've been shown and how do you know what I rejected? It looks like you are dodging. Is it because you cannot show me the consistancy that you are refering to?

Do you call the fact that Cain had a wife is consistent with the claimed implication that Adam and Eve are supposed to be the first humans and they had only two children, Cain and Able?

razorphreak wrote:
As I've heard many times on this site, "observable" evidence must conclude you saw a UFO...hence your evidence, at least to you as the observer, has no loss of value.
Someone making a claim of seeing a flying saucer from another world is not evidence of a flying saucer from another world. It is merely a claim.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: You

MattShizzle wrote:
You truly are ridiculous. How would you know the military did not send up a secret aircraft? You really think they'd tell you that? "Observable" evidence in a scientific sense is under conditions much more controlled than that. Did you know eyewitness testimony, though it's unfortunately effective in court, has been show to be among the LEAST reliable forms of evidence? And anyway, a feeling does not even come close to being "observable" evidence. Being "aware" of God is no different from being "aware" that the CIA is controlling your mind via satellite. Better wrap your head in aluminum foil!

Sticks and stones dude.  Once again, you missed the point.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What's that they say about

What's that they say about the pot and the kettle? YOU are the one who won't address anyone's point directly.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: What's

MattShizzle wrote:
What's that they say about the pot and the kettle? YOU are the one who won't address anyone's point directly.

And what's that they say about someone who just doesn't understand the point being made?

AiiA wrote:
Do you call the fact that Cain had a wife is consistent with the claimed implication that Adam and Eve are supposed to be the first humans and they had only two children, Cain and Able?

Who said they only had two children?  I think that's where you are wrong to begin with and have based an entire line of questioning on an incorrect assumption.

Genesis 5:4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.

So you were saying?

AiiA wrote:
Someone making a claim of seeing a flying saucer from another world is not evidence of a flying saucer from another world. It is merely a claim.

And what about to that person?  And if you have more than one person collaborate the same event? 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

"Genesis 5:4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters."

So Cain was a pedophile?

Cain meeting and mating with his wife implies that there was a woman of breeding age other than Eve around when he was banished in Gen. 4.

Are you one of those that believes:

a. that God pulled off more than one creation event in different places?

b. Eve had a daughter at around the time she had Cain and Abel and the writers chose not to mention her?

c. Or the kids mentioned in Gen 5:4 just grew up real fast or were born as adults?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:
AiiA wrote:

Who said they only had two children? I think that's where you are wrong to begin with and have based an entire line of questioning on an incorrect assumption.

Genesis 5:4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.

So you were saying?

Aside from the fact that there are dozens of contradictions and absurdities, I didn't know in the story that they had any other children. It seems Cain could indeed have a wife. Cain copulated with his sister and they had children. However, Adam living 800 years is not consistent with any evidence that we have on longevity. This in itself makes the story unbelievable.

razorphreak wrote:
AiiA wrote:

And what about to that person?

Just what I said
Quote:
And if you have more than one person collaborate the same event?
It only means several people claim to have seen the same thing. It still is not evidence of a flying saucer from another world. An extraordinary claim such as that necessitates extraordinary evidence to be believable. People collaborate to fool others often.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: So Cain was

jcgadfly wrote:
So Cain was a pedophile?

How the hell did you get that? 

jcgadfly wrote:

Ummm...what? 

jcgadfly wrote:
b. Eve had a daughter at around the time she had Cain and Abel and the writers chose not to mention her?

It's possible.  What is written does not get into the family genealogy a whole lot.

jcgadfly wrote:
c. Or the kids mentioned in Gen 5:4 just grew up real fast or were born as adults?

Ok that's just ridiculous.  If you believe in creation, meaning you believe who we are today is who we were then, then you know how absurd what you just said...is.

AiiA wrote:
Aside from the fact that there are dozens of contradictions and absurdities, I didn't know in the story that they had any other children. It seems Cain could indeed have a wife. Cain copulated with his sister and they had children. However, Adam living 800 years is not consistent with any evidence that we have on longevity. This in itself makes the story unbelievable.

The fact that you assume contradictions and absurdities shows your bias against what is written. In your statement, you simply prove you are not willing to understand...

Not consistent according to today's evidence.   That's why God states he will make those who seem smart, stupid.  With God all things are possible.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
So Cain was a pedophile?

How the hell did you get that?

If you'd actually read my post you'd know how I got there.

razorphreak wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

Ummm...what?

There are those that believe that God place people in different places to try and resolve the contradiction of Cain's wife.

razorphreak wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

It's possible. What is written does not get into the family genealogy a whole lot.

Convenient how the God inspired writers omit needed information. How did this possible daughter get to the land of Nod where Cain found her? Or is this just symbolism in the God breathed Word that we're not supposed to take literally?

razorphreak wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

Ok that's just ridiculous. If you believe in creation, meaning you believe who we are today is who we were then, then you know how absurd what you just said...is.

I know precisely how absurd it is. It is exactly as absurd as the belief in the existence of an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient sky father without evidence. Or are you saying that the above wouldn't be possible for your God?

I was just trying to list all the possible ways that a female of breeding age can get to be Mrs. Cain.

razorphreak wrote:
AiiA wrote:

The fact that you assume contradictions and absurdities shows your bias against what is written. In your statement, you simply prove you are not willing to understand...

Not consistent according to today's evidence. That's why God states he will make those who seem smart, stupid. With God all things are possible.

Where is the assumption? We didn't write contradictory statements in the Bible. the God inspire. writers did. Perhaps the bias comes from those who are willing to do the mental gymnastics to harmonize it all. What makes you so afraid of having doubts?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: If you'd

jcgadfly wrote:
If you'd actually read my post you'd know how I got there.

I did.  Several times.  I still don't understand how you got there in your mind... 

jcgadfly wrote:
There are those that believe that God place people in different places to try and resolve the contradiction of Cain's wife.

Honestly I've never heard that.  Sounds like assumptions because I don't know anywhere in the bible that would have come from... 

jcgadfly wrote:
Convenient how the God inspired writers omit needed information. How did this possible daughter get to the land of Nod where Cain found her? Or is this just symbolism in the God breathed Word that we're not supposed to take literally?

I don't understand first why it's so important to know those details.  You haven't told me why you care other than to say to make the story as you understand it make sense when, as a Christian, it always has made sense even without those details because those details are simply unimportant. 

jcgadfly wrote:
I know precisely how absurd it is. It is exactly as absurd as the belief in the existence of an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient sky father without evidence. Or are you saying that the above wouldn't be possible for your God?

Did you EVER read me saying that something was not possible for God?  I think however I just got a revelation about you - you'd rather try to find issues then make up weirdo assumptions than attempt to understand the meaning... 

jcgadfly wrote:
We didn't write contradictory statements in the Bible. the God inspire. writers did. Perhaps the bias comes from those who are willing to do the mental gymnastics to harmonize it all. What makes you so afraid of having doubts?

I'm not afraid of any doubts because there are none.  What so called contradictions you find have all been explained, several hundred times it seems, by many different scholars, and even when they've dismissed them all, you still didn't accept.  It does not concern me if you believe or not but when they've shown you the proof that there are no such things as contradictions in the bible, EVIDENCE, you rejected the evidence.  Why?  The fact that you always base any argument on the "absurdity" of believing is where the bias begins.  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Razor, I do believe that

Razor, I do believe that was the longest, most wordy dodge I've ever read.

What it seems like you're telling me is that the Bible stories make sense as long as you don't think about them too much (or at all).

Why would you believe that your God put a brain in your head and gave you the ability to think but tell you not to use it when it came to Him? 

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Razor, I do

jcgadfly wrote:

What it seems like you're telling me is that the Bible stories make sense as long as you don't think about them too much (or at all).

Why would you believe that your God put a brain in your head and gave you the ability to think but tell you not to use it when it came to Him?

I'm really sorry you don't understand what it is I'm explaining to you...I really am.  If you honestly think the bible is that easy to understand then by all means read it.  Oh, and stop twisting what I say please. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

I'm really sorry you don't understand what it is I'm explaining to you...I really am. If you honestly think the bible is that easy to understand then by all means read it. Oh, and stop twisting what I say please.

I didn't mean to twist what you said - didn't think I had. I was just trying to understand your writing. My apologies.

Your post read like so many I've seen here that say one shouldn't think about what the Bible says and just have faith. If there is a God and he created reason, why would he want His followers to abandon that reason and just take His word for things. You wouldn't do that for a fellow human - you'd check out their statements. Why should God get a pass?

I never said that the Bible was easy to understand. That it's not is the point I'm trying to make. Wouldn't a God who wanted people to believe in Him remove as many obstacles to that belief as possible?

— George Carlin

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

razorphreak wrote:
AiiA wrote:

The fact that you assume contradictions and absurdities shows your bias against what is written.

I am not assuming contradictions and absurdities. You showed where I was wrong in the story about Cain, however this doesn't give evidence of a god, give credence to the bible, nor does it eliminate the fact that there are many contradictions and absurdities.

CONTRADICTIONS

ABSURDITIES

Quote:
In your statement, you simply prove you are not willing to understand...

Not consistent according to today's evidence.

Exactly what I meant.
Quote:
That's why God states he will make those who seem smart, stupid. With God all things are possible.
What god? I know of no god. Do you have any evidence of a god?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote:

razorphreak wrote:
The fact that you assume contradictions and absurdities shows your bias against what is written.
It is you who has the bias. You (in fact no one) has any evidence of any god what so ever and you're accusing me of bias?

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
you post links of what

you post links of what someone else calls contradictions and yet don't do the research to find that 99% of those "contradictions" are based off mistranslations from Greek to English and the rest, including the absurdities, are misunderstandings of the culture of the time and basing the argument out of context. Look again and you'll find just as many sites that disqualify those contradictions as well.

Oh I never said I wasn't biased about my faith and what the bible says.  That doesn't mean I'm not willing to listen to your side and understand your argument.  My evidence is one that you have brushed aside so no matter how many times I tell you that I know God exists because x, y, or z, you won't believe it anyway, and that's OK because I know you aren't supposed to.  Oh, and before you jump to conclusions, that doesn't mean you are damned either.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd step in, but it's

I'd say something, but it's pointless. Razor's been owned completely, and is just incapable of acknowledging it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I'd say

Vastet wrote:
I'd say something, but it's pointless. Razor's been owned completely, and is just incapable of acknowledging it.

Funny, everytime someone tells me that it shows how little they actually are paying attention.  I answered every question yet I'm owned?  Odd... 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You certainly responded to

You certainly responded to every question. Noone will deny that. Answering them however is another story. Though you're more eloquent than most, I'll give you that. I don't think you can trap your mind with the bonds of religion for very long.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak wrote: And if

razorphreak wrote:

And if 1. you know you are awake,

Ever had a dream where you "knew" you were awake? I know I've dreamt dreams where I felt awake, and some I even thought were real for days, until the other person involved denied it. If there was no other person in the dream, I may never have realized I was dreaming.

razorphreak wrote:
2. have never had nor has your family had any mental illness,
The truly insane rarely know they're insane.

razorphreak wrote:
3. no movies being shot that day where you live,
Given the amount of kids with cameras trying to make independent movies and short films on a lark, this is very hard to prove.

razorphreak wrote:
4. confirmations that Venus was not in your line of sight,
How? It's possible, but for about half of the day, any part of the planet has Venus directly in their sky. Not necessarily easy to see all the time, but it's there.

razorphreak wrote:
you had no swamp gas in the area,
OK

razorphreak wrote:
and the military didn't even send up a plane that day,
as mattshizzle said, they could be flying SECRET planes.

razorphreak wrote:
and 5. you are in the middle of a field where no one else was around to play a prank....then what?
You assume that the people would have to be where you could see them to play a prank. Via the remote control (a lovely device that Tesla patented over a hundred years ago) people can control their models from some distance. 

razorphreak wrote:
Just because someone saw something does not mean they know what they saw. You as the observer do not change this fact. You as the observer must use what you observed to discover the truth, not take what you saw as the truth, especially if it's a far out claim.

razorphreak wrote:
Excusing it as a mental illness or anything else is a cop-out and shows exactly how open minded you truly are to new science, or in the case of God, awareness.
Excusing it as out of context or unimportant shows exactly how competent you are at answering questions. See how that works?  Few excuse it as anything without some sort of precedence. If hundreds of mental patients claim to experience the exact same thing, or a similar thing, psychologists believe it is some sort of shared delusion that is shared between people with a specific illness. For example, if a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic claims to hear the voice of god telling him to kill his neighbours, another says she hears aliens telling her to kill her neighbours, and a third thinks the government is trying to tell him to kill his neighbours, what should we assume (besides that these peoples' neighbours should move right away)? That an "authority figure" voice can tell paranoid schizophrenics to do nasty things to people, and that people who hear a voice in their head telling them to kill their neighbours without a real reason, they could be paranoid schizophrenic. They might not be, they may have another form of schizophrenia, they may have some other illness, or might just be pissed off, but the voice comes from within. Schizophrenics also hear people positive messages, too. Messages of love and such. The trouble is, these people are either long dead or nonexistent, or not even seen, but "heard". So, when a christian says he or she prays and "hears" Jesus, or "sees" him, but can't produce evidence of it, given what we know of mental illness, is it not logical to assume this as a possibility? Your problem here is that you're taking an illogical position (theism, and in the example, the existence of space aliens in space ships) giving little evidence, as well as a few nonanswers, and thinking people who are not satisfied by this are close minded. Perhaps your Sword needs sharpening? Or maybe that Helmet of Salvation is on too tight? Tongue out

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:
Excusing it as out of context or unimportant shows exactly how competent you are at answering questions.

Given the history of people taking what the bible states or what I post out of context, it has nothing to do with how I answer questions but rather how you respond to my posts.  Don't be blaming me...

BenfromCanada wrote:
For example, if a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic claims to hear the voice of god telling him to kill his neighbours, another says she hears aliens telling her to kill her neighbours, and a third thinks the government is trying to tell him to kill his neighbours, what should we assume (besides that these peoples' neighbours should move right away)?

If you knew the bible you'd know that God would not say such a thing to begin with.

BenfromCanada wrote:
So, when a christian says he or she prays and "hears" Jesus, or "sees" him, but can't produce evidence of it, given what we know of mental illness, is it not logical to assume this as a possibility?

If it's easier for you to dismiss me as "delusional" just as many others have on this forum, be my guest.  It just goes to prove you don't really have much to contribute to an actual discussion.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
razorphreak

razorphreak wrote:

BenfromCanada wrote:
Excusing it as out of context or unimportant shows exactly how competent you are at answering questions.

Given the history of people taking what the bible states or what I post out of context, it has nothing to do with how I answer questions but rather how you respond to my posts. Don't be blaming me...

BenfromCanada wrote:
For example, if a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic claims to hear the voice of god telling him to kill his neighbours, another says she hears aliens telling her to kill her neighbours, and a third thinks the government is trying to tell him to kill his neighbours, what should we assume (besides that these peoples' neighbours should move right away)?

If you knew the bible you'd know that God would not say such a thing to begin with.

BenfromCanada wrote:
So, when a christian says he or she prays and "hears" Jesus, or "sees" him, but can't produce evidence of it, given what we know of mental illness, is it not logical to assume this as a possibility?

If it's easier for you to dismiss me as "delusional" just as many others have on this forum, be my guest. It just goes to prove you don't really have much to contribute to an actual discussion.

1. Re: "out of context" - You love to claim that people are taking your words and Scripture out of context. However, you fail to provide any of the context you claim we're taking things out of.

2. If you knew the Bible you'd be well aware of how many people God has told his people to kill (besides the ones he's killed himself). Or did the history of the Bible go away when Jesus went on hiatus for a few days?

3. Cute reply. Care to answer his question now? 

— George Carlin

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
1. Re: "out of context" - You love to claim that people are taking your words and Scripture out of context. However, you fail to provide any of the context you claim we're taking things out of.

Oh my God I cannot believe you just said that. EVERY point that has been made that I'm aware of, every thread that I've posted on regarding "out of context" scripture I've backed up with full scripture postings.

jcgadfly wrote:
2. If you knew the Bible you'd be well aware of how many people God has told his people to kill (besides the ones he's killed himself). Or did the history of the Bible go away when Jesus went on hiatus for a few days?

I just knew that someone would respond with that.  God would not simply say to kill without reason nor would God say kill an innocent. 

Romans 13:4 For he (authority person on Earth) is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing.

jcgadfly wrote:
3. Cute reply. Care to answer his question now?

Why? His question cannot be answered in a way that someone who has not received the gift of faith would understand. Even if I did, which I have before, you'd dismiss the answer anyway.