Genesis 5 5-11

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genesis 5 5-11

Ok, you are probably going to see a lot of these as I am reading the bible front to back.  I have got to all of page 3 (although skipped over many things that were like nuts but I know have already been pointed out).  What im curious on, if for those that are in the know I am curious.  In Genesis 5 5-11 it lists Adams age as 930 years, Seths as 912 annd Enosh 905.  If they were on Earth that long, where the hell is the shit they left behind.  And where is the magic pill that I need to live that long? ;p

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
And the reason this is

And the reason this is important is if the earth is 6000 years old or whatever BS creationists state, then these people (and goes all the way through Noah as far as ages) where on the planet for 1/6 of the time of the planet or more, im curious on what the creationist reason is.  I guess the great flood erased everything but still.  How can people take this literally with 0 evidence but this book.

Sorry, a bit frustrated ;p

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Gizmo wrote: Ok, you are

Gizmo wrote:

Ok, you are probably going to see a lot of these as I am reading the bible front to back. I have got to all of page 3 (although skipped over many things that were like nuts but I know have already been pointed out). What im curious on, if for those that are in the know I am curious. In Genesis 5 5-11 it lists Adams age as 930 years, Seths as 912 annd Enosh 905. If they were on Earth that long, where the hell is the shit they left behind. And where is the magic pill that I need to live that long? ;p

There was a time when Christians, most, litterally believed this. But now that they have been widely called on that absurdity the trump card cop out is "metaphore".

Whenever there is an absurdity it magically becomes metaphore....Ok, not magically. It becomes metaphore because the believer refuses to give up on the entire book so it is easer to cherry pick what it is litteral and what is metaphore than do consider that the intire book is fictional hocus pocus that goat hearders wrote over a 1,000 year period. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Whenever

Brian37 wrote:

Whenever there is an absurdity it magically becomes metaphore....Ok, not magically. It becomes metaphore because the believer refuses to give up on the entire book so it is easer to cherry pick what it is litteral and what is metaphore than do consider that the intire book is fictional hocus pocus that goat hearders wrote over a 1,000 year period.

I had a conversation/debate with a Christian 2 days ago and everytime I brought up an item that didn't quite add up the answer was, of course, "well that's not literal!"

Anyway, being raised Catholic, I was either told that they calculated time differently and/or that our sin has decreased life spans today.

stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: I was

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I was either told that they calculated time differently and/or that our sin has decreased life spans today.

I've heard this many times as well, especially the part about sin decreasing life spans.  I've also heard this argument to explain incest in the old testament, especially amongst the children of Adam and Eve.

I'll bet I have one argument for the long life spans that no one else has heard before.  I used to work at a winery that was founded by a fundamentalist.  He actually suggested that drinking wine almost exclusively along with not eating cheese or fried food contributed to their long life spans.

You heard it here first folks!  Drink wine, lay off the cheese and live for nine centuries!   

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.