Origin stories

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Origin stories

Im curious on peoples opinions (including Rook of course) on what the best creation of the world/origin stories are.  To me on some of the ones I have read, the Bible has a pretty boring story.  To me the Norse origin stories are much more interesting.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, here's the one my

Well, here's the one my mother told me Gizmo:

When a mommy loves a dady very much or when a mommy has too much to drink at a bar, the mommy and daddy go home...

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Well, here's

Nero wrote:

Well, here's the one my mother told me Gizmo:

When a mommy loves a dady very much or when a mommy has too much to drink at a bar, the mommy and daddy go home...

lol, I am refering more to the beginning of the world and what not, but the smaller ones are good ;p 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a native american

There's a native american story about the world being on the back of a turtle shell.  I won't tell it right though, so I'm not going to try.

Long, long ago, the Celestial Tree of Light had fallen, leaving a hole in the sky. Sky Woman fell through the sky, falling ... falling ... into the waters below. As she fell, geese caught her with their wings, breaking the fall. The Great Turtle saw what was happening and, with the help of the other water animals, mostly the muskrat, began to dive into the water, bringing up mud and dirt to create land for Sky Woman to settle upon. The muskrat put the mud on the turtle's back, and soon the soil expanded into an island. The geese placed Sky Woman upon the island, and so the earth came to be. And from Sky Woman, this is how the world's people began.

(This is from The Good Red Road )

When I first heard this it was rather embellished but I still think (even though I don't believe it) it's a creative story and is full of imagery.  I am Native American though so perhaps I'm biased... 

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
I personally like some of

I personally like some of the Shinto stories. My favorite -

The sun goddess, Amaterasu, was pissed off at her brother (I don't remember why - I'll look it up later) and locked herself in a cave with a rock so heavy, even the strongest of the gods could not budge it.

Because the sun goddess hid in the shadows, the world plunged into a time on unyielding darkness. No sun goddess meant no sun, no daylight.

After several failed attempts to remove the rock, and also several failed attempts to talk Amaterasu out of the cave, one of the gods came up with a plan - they would party like there was no tomorrow! The plan was to lure her out with the sounds of a great celebration; and even in the worst-case scenario, the gods would still have the mother of all keggers and an orgy that would make Spring Break look like an abstinence-only sex-ed class at a fundy-run private school.

After quite a while of partying, Amaterasu's curiosity got hte better of her. She moved the rock just a little bit so she could peek outside the cave and see what the commotion was. At that very moment, the god of strength pulled her from the cave. The sun goddess' return also brought about an end to the darkness. Her return resulted in the return of the light of the sun.

The darkness finally having ended, the gods - along with Amaterasu - decided to celebrate by having a kegger (that would make the previous kegger look like an AA meeting) and another orgy (that would make the previous orgy look like an abstinence-only sex-ed class at a fundy-run private school) .

______

This is probably why they're not as shy about sex and nudity in Japan as they are here in America. In any event, a good "bedtime" story. 

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.