ATTN New Theist Members

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
ATTN New Theist Members

Would you like an opportunity to challenge the RRS on our radio show? If so, drop us a line in this thread and let us know who you are and why you would like to speak to us. Because of our show format, please let us know what issues you would like to address and we will get back to you with scheduling and any other relevent information. We would like civil conversation, but be prepared to get back whatever you put into the conversation.

We are open to almost any format other than "formal debate."  If you want to ask us personal questions, or evolution questions, or you want us to have a back and forth exchange challenging each other, or some alternative proposition, just let us know.  You must be prepared to accept a phone call from Brian, Rook, and Kelly within the next two weeks.  Our schedules are very open from 1pm est-3am est.  We will not give out your number or personal information and will prefer to refer to you as your name on our forum (if you agree).  The proposed conversation would last 5-45 minutes depending on how well the conversation is going.  We make no promises that we'll be able to air your phone call with us.  We do however promise not to edit the show in such a way as to change the meaning or context of anything you say in our conversation.

So what do ya say?  We've seen a few theists on here talking about how they wanted to talk with us directly, so speak up everyone... who's in?

Thanks,

Brian, Kelly, and Rook

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe that Sir Valiant for

Maybe Sir Valiant for Truth should be a guest, but I doubt that he will want to be on the show. Prove me wrong and show us what you're made of!

razorphreak
Theist
razorphreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
One thing I really want

This comment has been moved here.

blah
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I would, yes. 

I would, yes.

EDIT: I would like to discuss with you, if possible, on your radio show. I study philosophy and would be willing to debate with you.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll do it again. We didn't

I'll do it again. We didn't really get into arguments for God's existence and I'd enjoy attempting to get into some.

ttdm.blogspot.com

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster wrote: I'll do

cslewisster wrote:
I'll do it again.

See! Don't be scared folks, cslewisster came on the show and he survived to ask for more.  Sticking out tongue

We're trying to get new folks on right now cslewisster, we'll let you know.  

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
Bump.

Bump.

Beloved Spear
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anytime, folks. Anytime.

After some of the more zealous true believers among your number got my RRS-mocking YouTube censored and I put up another YouTube challenging the RRS to engage in conversation, I'd been having a most pleasant e-mail exchange with Josh. I was under the impression that I was sorta in the holding pattern to chat with y'all, but that was before Ray and Kirk set themselves up for public humiliation.

The prospect of a public conversation with you folks seems to have drifted away into the miasma of RRS collective process. Ah well. If you're at the point where you're fishing for podcast filler, I'm more than happy to help out. Just let me know.

nonbobblehead
Theist
User is offlineOffline
0 x 0 = atheism

So that we don't dwell on "who" (or Who) created God (or god), how do we come up with something from nothing?

Who or what started all the something we can test and prove?

I cannot hold for long, the rational belief that "everything" let alone anything, came from nothing.

Non-Godians?

0 x 0 = Atheism. Something from nothing? Ahhh no.
And Karl, religion is not the opiate of the people, opium is. Visit any modern city in the western world and see.

chan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Talking to RRS on your radio show.

Hi Brian, Kelly and Rook,

I would love to have an exchange with you guys on RRS radio. I teach a Bible class at a private school in La. and I challenge my students to talk to people that have differing viewpoints. We discuss different religions and other schools of thought such as atheism, agnosticism etc. I think it would help my credibility as a teacher to represent you fairly plus have an exchange of ideas. This would definitely be a good thing. What do I do next?

Thanks, Chan

"An unexamined life is not worth living. An unexamined belief is not worth believing." - Dr. Abraham Vema

jread
SuperfanTheist
jread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would be up for it. Email

I would be up for it. Email me and let me know how the debate would go and what topics you would want to discuss.

Oh and I was wondering, do we physically go to your studios? How does it work?

The implication that we should put Darwinism on trial overlooks the fact that Darwinism has always been on trial within the scientific community. -- From Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth R. Miller

Chaos and chance don't mean the absence of law and order, but rather the presence of order so complex that it lies beyond our abilities to grasp and describe it. -- From From Certainty to Uncertainty by F. David Peat

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beloved Spear wrote: After

Beloved Spear wrote:

After some of the more zealous true believers among your number got my RRS-mocking YouTube censored and I put up another YouTube challenging the RRS to engage in conversation, I'd been having a most pleasant e-mail exchange with Josh. I was under the impression that I was sorta in the holding pattern to chat with y'all, but that was before Ray and Kirk set themselves up for public humiliation.

The prospect of a public conversation with you folks seems to have drifted away into the miasma of RRS collective process. Ah well. If you're at the point where you're fishing for podcast filler, I'm more than happy to help out. Just let me know.

You are in the mix, David. I sent Sapient an e-mail the other day, but didn't get to catch him in stickam to talk about you. All good things. lol. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Beloved Spear
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Josh:  Glad to hear it. 

Josh:  Glad to hear it.  I'd been holding my breath in anticipation, but got tired of repeatedly passing out.  Amazing how with all these newfangled ways to communicate with one another, somehow touching base seems more challenging than ever.  Perhaps Mr. Sapient might respond to a carrier pidgeon...I hear it's the latest thing on the West Coast.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
chan wrote: Hi Brian,

chan wrote:

Hi Brian, Kelly and Rook,

I would love to have an exchange with you guys on RRS radio. I teach a Bible class at a private school in La. and I challenge my students to talk to people that have differing viewpoints. We discuss different religions and other schools of thought such as atheism, agnosticism etc. I think it would help my credibility as a teacher to represent you fairly plus have an exchange of ideas. This would definitely be a good thing. What do I do next?

Thanks, Chan

Hi Chan.  Sorry to butt in, but I need to point out that "atheism" is not a school of thought.  It is one thing and one thing only: a lack of belief in god(s).  As a simple lack of belief in god(s), it doesn't qualify as a philosophy, school of thought, religion, etc. 

Cheers. Smiling 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beloved Spear wrote: Josh:

Beloved Spear wrote:

Josh: Glad to hear it. I'd been holding my breath in anticipation, but got tired of repeatedly passing out. Amazing how with all these newfangled ways to communicate with one another, somehow touching base seems more challenging than ever. Perhaps Mr. Sapient might respond to a carrier pidgeon...I hear it's the latest thing on the West Coast.

E-mail works ok unless you're getting two per minute for two weeks straight like Sapient or if it bounces back. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

kaparks
User is offlineOffline
Is this an invitation to

Is this an invitation to theists only? I believe in a creator but not one that actively takes part in anyones day to day lives or has any other influence on the physical univese other than by its creation.  I will argue all day with someone who thinks anything within the physical universe including the universe itself can exist without being created.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Everyone that has responded

Everyone that has responded with interest.  Please help us to expedite an appearance on the show. 

Send me an email: [email protected]

Put your RRS screen name in the email.  Put your real first name in the email.  Put the best phone number to contact you at, and possibly a back up number in the email.  Lastly, please be specific with a topic you want to address with the show.  Please provide three questions you'd like for us to ask you that you think you can talk about for a minute or two and is on the issue of theism.  If you have any questions you'd want to ask us on the show, please include them as well.  

Please be concise yet thorough.  The best emailers will get on the show sooner.

Thanks,

Kelly and Sapient 

TheistMatt
Theist
TheistMatt's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

I will say that the prospect of talking to you all seems very intriguing.  I just need to get a better feel for you, I've been a member for less than a day after all.  It would be a different twist to your conversation, as I am not Christian, I do not believe that Jesus was the saviour.  I am a theologian though, studying the religions for 8 years from a point of view different than most.  One day down the road we'll have to give it a try.

"Always remember, pillage first, then burn"

dunamis7
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I have heard others

I have heard others complaining about formal debate?  What's the problem?

If you think you beat Comfort at it, why not do it again?

Nadja
Nadja's picture
User is offlineOffline
um... duh!!

What are you like??   Atheism IS a school of thought.  Don't you believe Darwin?   Don't you believe that we evolved from monkeys?  Don't you believe there is no afterlife?  Don't you believe religion is man's invention?  Don't you believe we create our own existence - positive or negative?

Me thinks it is indeed a school of thought.

Examine all things

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nadja wrote: What are you

Nadja wrote:

What are you like??

Atheists are as diverse as the human race.

Quote:
Atheism IS a school of thought. 

Oh really, now?

Quote:
Don't you believe Darwin?  

Some do some don't.

Quote:
Don't you believe that we evolved from monkeys? 

Some do some don't.

Quote:
Don't you believe there is no afterlife? 

Some do some don't.

Quote:
Don't you believe religion is man's invention? 

Some do some don't.

Quote:
Don't you believe we create our own existence - positive or negative?

Some do some don't.

Quote:
Me thinks it is indeed a school of thought.

Me thinks you are mistaken because you overgeneralize.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
dunamis7 wrote: I have

dunamis7 wrote:

I have heard others complaining about formal debate? What's the problem?

If you think you beat Comfort at it, why not do it again?

That wasn't a formal debate.  While it may have appeared semi formal it wasn't a debate at all.  We were on stage to respond to claims made by Cameron and Comfort, not to debate them. 

Rook has plans for a formal debate with Ergun Caner later this year. 

American Atheist
User is offlineOffline
So who's going to be on the

So who's going to be on the show?

pszymcek
User is offlineOffline
Hi,   I can't see a reason

This comment has been moved here.

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I would love to come

Hey, I would love to come on your show and discuss the Jesus Myth with Rook. I take an opposing viewpoint and I would love to debate him. We have already had some good discussion on the forum.

Although not a Christian, I am a religion major, and I've studied the existence of Jesus extensively.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Nadja
Nadja's picture
User is offlineOffline
smear them

Please debate Gary Habermas. Everyone knows that he is the expert on the "resurrection". That is the entire basis for Christianity.

Get all of your information together and go for it! That would be awesome!!!

Examine all things