God damn Christians bitchin bout blasphemy

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
God damn Christians bitchin bout blasphemy

Sarah Silverman has sex with God.

On the heels of Hovind.

(this is technically a story from March, but thanks to Hovind... we're talkin bout it.)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be frank, I find Sarah

To be frank, I find Sarah Silverman's show to be incredibly unfunny. There are lots of things in it that could be funny, hell that even should be funny. But they aren't. And I can't for the life of me figure out why.

The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: To be

LosingStreak06 wrote:
To be frank, I find Sarah Silverman's show to be incredibly unfunny. There are lots of things in it that could be funny, hell that even should be funny. But they aren't. And I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Because she's a talentless imbecile who's built a career off of the juxtaposition of a pretty, doe-eyed girl spewing obscenities and filth, and calling it "comedy". Whenever I see Sarah Silverman on the tube, I change the channel--not because I'm offended, but because she's just not funny. She's got lousy timing and the delivery of her material is consistently flat--material that, in the hands of someone like Dave Chapelle, would be comedy gold.

I don't find being offensive just for the sake of being offensive funny at all.

The Saint

The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I find it more

Personally, I find it more pathetic than offensive;  whenever comedians (or anyone, for that matter) wants to do something "edgy", they resort to the same worn out, cliched caricatures of Christians and Christianity.  For God's sake, do something original for a change.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint

The_Saint wrote:
Personally, I find it more pathetic than offensive; whenever comedians (or anyone, for that matter) wants to do something "edgy", they resort to the same worn out, cliched caricatures of Christians and Christianity. For God's sake, do something original for a change.

Funny...

I don't see the word "untrue" in your description of those caricatures.

Did one of us miss something? 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Her brand of humor,

Her brand of humor, generally, is the kind of humor found on shows like Drawn Together. I find her funny because of the situations she gets in to and how she deals with them, not the jokes themselves. If I wanted funny jokes of that style, I would watch Drawn Together.

However, she is infinitely funnier than Carlos Mencia. That hack can't even joke his way out of a wet paper noodle, let alone come up with his own material.

FreeThinker-X
User is offlineOffline
It's true, sometimes I

It's true, sometimes I wonder if any good original comedies will ever come out.

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
FreeThinker-X wrote: It's

FreeThinker-X wrote:
It's true, sometimes I wonder if any good original comedies will ever come out.

"Stella" was fairly original and hilarious.  Naturally, it was cancelled after one season and replaced with "Mind of Mencia" in its time slot, which is possibly the worst show of all time.  Quite tragic, if you ask me.  

Sarah Silverman is obnoxious because she tries so hard to be controversial, relying completely on that and not even trying for imagination or wit.  However, I must say, I found the "gay" couple on her show, played by those two comedians whose names I don't know, really hilarious.   

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:
Sarah Silverman has sex with God.

On the heels of Hovind. (this is technically a story from March, but thanks to Hovind... we're talkin bout it.)

Now that was FUNNY!

If you weren't amused you might be mentally crippled from dogmatism.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Funny...

I'd say so, since you clearly don't know the definition of 'caricature': a depiction of a person or object intentionally distorted or exaggerated so as to be considered absurd. Shall I now define the term 'absurd' for you?

The Saint

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: jcgadfly

The_Saint wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:
Funny...

I'd say so, since you clearly don't know the definition of 'caricature': a depiction of a person or object intentionally distorted or exaggerated so as to be considered absurd. Shall I now define the term 'absurd' for you?

The Saint

Actually I should have used caricature in quotes.

You're the only one in our conversation who sees them as caricatures. I know christians who not only have the attributes you consider caricatures but they live them proudly. 

It's not a caricature if it really exists, is it? 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I personally find her to be

I personally find her to be hilarious. "Jesus is Magic" was rather funny. She's from the Mr. Show group of comedians. All of them are funny. Brian Posehn, David Cross, Jack Black, Bob Odenkirk, etc. Go check some of them out. True, they might have to do some unfunny shit to pay the bills, but the stuff they do on their own is just great. Does anyone else find it funny that Tom Kenny is from that group and does really clean childrens cartoons?

But those watchdog groups don't even look at the shows. Bill Donahue, chief cockgobbler at the Catholic League, has admitted that he doesn't even watch the shows he bitches about. He gets someone else to watch them, document what went on, then he bitches based on the report and not the show.

The_Saint
Theist
The_Saint's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: You're the

jcgadfly wrote:
You're the only one in our conversation who sees them as caricatures. I know christians who not only have the attributes you consider caricatures but they live them proudly.

Since I never identified precisely which Christian doctrines and beliefs are most often caricatured by the likes of Silverman, you'll have to be more specific about which 'caricatures' your Christian acquaintances live proudly.

Quote:
It's not a caricature if it really exists, is it?

I suppose that depends on your level of ignorance. Some people might be convinced that a certain portrayal of Christian doctrine is true, either because they are ignorant of the facts, or because they have simply wanted to believe it to be true, regardless of the facts.

The Saint

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm actually watching

I'm actually watching "Jesus is magic" right now.

Her delivery is horrible. It almost makes me wonder if she's just trying to play a Kaufman, and deliberately be unfunny.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't seen any of

I haven't seen any of Silverman's other stuff, but that clip was hilarious. Even God isn't good enough to risk getting into a relationship...LOL. Besides, he's not Jewish!

I'll believe that making fun of god is offensive when god tells us that it is. After all, any other defamation accusation wouldn't go very far without the person who was allegedly defamed at least making the accusation out of his own mouth. If people like Saint want to speak for god, they should at least show us the signed agreement appointing them god's attorney. Short of that, they should shut up.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I don't know. I always

I don't know.

I always think it's funny to watch the Christians rise to the defense of their supposedly omnipotent god who can vanquish all of us nonbelievers with but a single thought.

— George Carlin

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought the most recent

I thought the most recent episode where Sarah unknowingly joins an anti-abortion terrorist group only to leave because she loves having abortions was a lot more blasphemous. It also had a nice sub-plot about DnD.