Michael Vick pleads guilty, finds Jesus

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Michael Vick pleads guilty, finds Jesus

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/27/michael.vick/index.html

How incredibly ridiculous. After Michael Vick pleaded guilty to his charges, he issued an apology for his actions stating that he "found Jesus." It's a little one liner in the article so you have to look for it. What a lame cop-out.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe it's easier to hear

Maybe it's easier to hear Jesus when you no longer have the screams of tortured dogs filling your ears.  Nah, it's probably that he was looking for a reduced prison sentence and his attorney told him to find Jesus for the plea bargin.  Typical liars for Christ.

But Jesus found Vick back in 1993:

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/christtorch_full.htm

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: Maybe it's

D-cubed wrote:

Maybe it's easier to hear Jesus when you no longer have the screams of tortured dogs filling your ears.  Nah, it's probably that he was looking for a reduced prison sentence and his attorney told him to find Jesus for the plea bargin.  Typical liars for Christ.

But Jesus found Vick back in 1993:

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/christtorch_full.htm

That's hilarious! I like JC's comments.

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me get this straight.

Let me get this straight. In 1993 Jesus finds Vick and in 2007 Vick find Jesus. So it's Vick's turn to hide again right?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now he finds Jesus? Is he

Now he finds Jesus? Is he washed in the blood of the puppy?

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vick must ahve thought he

Vick must have thought he was still under the laws of the Old Testament. Now he's learned that he doesnt have to sacrifice animals any more, now he has Jebus.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Why do famous people always

Why do famous people always find Jesus after they fuck up? Wouldn't you love to see someone do something really good/heroic and later make the public statement "After doing this I realized there is no god and I am now an atheist!"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

montanafatcat
User is offlineOffline
Vick's conversion

When I was a prosecutor, we referred to it as "god talk".  The convicted felon would stand for sentencing or before the parole board and deliver a sermon.  But, the audience was all wrong:  Judges or parole board members that heard the same speech a thousand times, from the worst possible offenders.  It always falls flat, making the speaker, if possible, sound even more manipulative and dangerous.

I asked a defense lawyer once why they even tried the tactic.  She insisted that they (defense counsel) seldom prompt the god-talk.  I drew two conclusions:

1.  Never assume anything about the speakers sincerity.  They may well MEAN it.

2.  Never assume that, even if sincere, that there will be any kind of rehabilitation.  Sociopaths have a very strange and complex relationahip with "sincerity".  But, many of them flirt with any number of religions.

I have no idea if Vick was sincere.  But, it means nothing to me.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome montanafatcat!

First things first.  If you don't mind, why don't you pop over to THIS FORUM and officially introduce yourself.  As much or as little as you like.  It's just a handy way for everyone to get to know everyone.

Quote:
When I was a prosecutor, we referred to it as "god talk".  The convicted felon would stand for sentencing or before the parole board and deliver a sermon.  But, the audience was all wrong:  Judges or parole board members that heard the same speech a thousand times, from the worst possible offenders.  It always falls flat, making the speaker, if possible, sound even more manipulative and dangerous.

I've heard the exact same thing from a friend of mine who's a prosecutor here.

Quote:
She insisted that they (defense counsel) seldom prompt the god-talk.

I'm not sure where you live, but in the deep south, it's encouraged more often.  Defense attorneys screen for Christians when they think it will be to their advantage.  It's a double edged sword, though.  If you get fundamentalists, you're going to get convicted, because they're all about punishment for crime and tough love.  They tend to go for the fuzzy Christians who believe in a forgiving god who turns the other cheek.

In any case, I've never heard of it working on a judge.

Quote:
1.  Never assume anything about the speakers sincerity.  They may well MEAN it.

I feel certain that many convicts are sincere in their conversions.  Let's examine this objectively.  By population, most of the inmates in US prisons are:

1) poor

2) poorly educated

3) repeat offenders

4) I say this one carefully... borderline sociopaths.

I am treading carefully there because of the flexible definition of society that can be invoked when defining sociopathy.  Basically, I mean that they have proven more or less incapable of aligning their lives in a way consistent with acceptable norms.  Whether they can understand the norms is another question, so I hedge a bit on the sociopath thing.

Anyway, they are primed and ready for someone to give them something to believe that will make their lives better.  With very few chances for self improvement in the big house, religion looks awfully attractive.  Not only that, but you develop a certain sense of self respect, and that is something many criminals don't have a ton of.

Quote:
2.  Never assume that, even if sincere, that there will be any kind of rehabilitation.  Sociopaths have a very strange and complex relationahip with "sincerity".  But, many of them flirt with any number of religions.

Again, very true.  And your observation of sociopaths is dead on.  Many don't actually understand what non-sociopaths mean by the word "sincerity."

Thanks for the post!  Hope to see more of your thoughts.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even jesus can't save Vick

Even jesus can't save Vick now.  The animal lobby is after him.

Although I have very little love for PETA, they are publicizing that Vick isn't the only animal abuser in the NFL.  Original article here.

Quote:

• Earlier this year, Vick's teammate Jonathan Babineaux was accused of inflicting blunt force trauma on his girlfriend's dog, Kilo, following an argument. Kilo died after reaching the emergency vet clinic.
  • In 2004, NFL running back LeShon Johnson was found guilty for his involvement in a massive dogfighting ring.
  • In 2001, former Eagles running back Thomas Hamner was twice charged with beating his dog and has been convicted of animal cruelty.

Furthermore, an informant from inside the dogfighting world who spoke on ESPN's Outside the Lines told reporters about "a whole roster of names of professional athletes that we know are involved in dogfighting... I bet not even 10 percent have come to light."

I have a horrible feeling that Vick is going to end up on the playing field again, though.  Full article here.

Quote:
On Friday, the NFL suspended Vick, 27, indefinitely without pay.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to Vick that he would review the status of the suspension after the legal proceedings are over.

Team owner Arthur Blank on Monday said that Vick "betrayed the trust of many people."

"We cannot tell you today that Michael is cut from the team. Cutting him may feel better emotionally for us and for many of our fans, but it's not in the long-term best interests of our franchise," Blank said.

Sadly, the ones who will pay the ultimate price are probably the dogs.  Article here

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vick found Jesus? Oh shit.

Vick found Jesus? Oh shit. I hope the two of them don't team up and start another dog fighting ring. With Jesus's magical powers he could cast demons into the losing dogs and they'd run into the river and drown on their own.

PETA should be alerted.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: Vick

RickRebel wrote:

Vick found Jesus? Oh shit. I hope the two of them don't team up and start another dog fighting ring. With Jesus's magical powers he could cast demons into the losing dogs and they'd run into the river and drown on their own.

PETA should be alerted.

For the most part, PETA should be under the same microscope as Michael Vick.

They "rescue" animals only to kill them and they finally got caught.

Just Google: PETA convicted dumpster

and you'll get many hits such as this one.

Quote:
The pair were arrested in June 2005 after police staked out a Dumpster where dead cats and dogs had been found for several Wednesdays in a row. Police saw Hinkle and Cook throwing away animals they had collected from the Bertie County animal shelter and a Hertford County veterinarian's office and euthanized in the back of their van.

The charges brought national attention to PETA's practice of euthanizing thousands of stray animals every year.

Employees of an Ahoskie veterinarian testified that Hinkle had asked whether a mother cat and two kittens had names, and promised everyone in the office, including a 9-year-old girl, that she would find them homes. She euthanized them a few minutes after leaving the office.

A Bertie County animal control officer testified that Hinkle said she would have "no problem" finding homes for two dalmatians named Annie and Toby. The dogs were dead before they left the shelter's parking lot.

The same officer said he handed over his own dog, a terrier named Happy, because he had had trouble housebreaking it. Hinkle sent him a picture of the dog in a garden, standing in front of a house but didn't mention that the dog had been euthanized upon arriving at PETA headquarters.

"They go out and say, 'Oh, we helped all these animals,'" said Asbell, who is the district attorney for Hertford, Bertie and Northampton counties. "They sure aren't out telling folks they're killing healthy ones ... because that doesn't go along with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals."

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure to draw some fire

I'm sure to draw some fire from NFL lovers, but is it any wonder that in a sport who's participants are drawn from steroid using alpha males that for the most part are barely educated and are trained to inflict blunt force trama on their opponents that violence is the solution to many of their problems?

I wonder how many Nascar drivers speed on a regular basis or how many MLB players spit and grab their crotches in public?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: RickRebel

Susan wrote:
RickRebel wrote:

PETA should be alerted.

For the most part, PETA should be under the same microscope as Michael Vick.

They "rescue" animals only to kill them and they finally got caught.

Just Google: PETA convicted dumpster

and you'll get many hits such as this one.

Quote:
The pair were arrested in June 2005 after police staked out a Dumpster where dead cats and dogs had been found for several Wednesdays in a row. Police saw Hinkle and Cook throwing away animals they had collected from the Bertie County animal shelter and a Hertford County veterinarian's office and euthanized in the back of their van.

The charges brought national attention to PETA's practice of euthanizing thousands of stray animals every year.

Employees of an Ahoskie veterinarian testified that Hinkle had asked whether a mother cat and two kittens had names, and promised everyone in the office, including a 9-year-old girl, that she would find them homes. She euthanized them a few minutes after leaving the office.

A Bertie County animal control officer testified that Hinkle said she would have "no problem" finding homes for two dalmatians named Annie and Toby. The dogs were dead before they left the shelter's parking lot.

The same officer said he handed over his own dog, a terrier named Happy, because he had had trouble housebreaking it. Hinkle sent him a picture of the dog in a garden, standing in front of a house but didn't mention that the dog had been euthanized upon arriving at PETA headquarters.

"They go out and say, 'Oh, we helped all these animals,'" said Asbell, who is the district attorney for Hertford, Bertie and Northampton counties. "They sure aren't out telling folks they're killing healthy ones ... because that doesn't go along with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals."

I think I've said this before, but I'm glad I'm not the only person who knows that PETA actually stands for Poorly Educated Teen Activists.

The fact that PETA attacks the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation and the American Cancer Society due to their support of animal research should tell you everything you need to know about them. Ingrid Newkirk once said that “even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we would be against it.”

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
While PETA has done some

While PETA has done some good in the area of unnecessary animal testing, they hide their real agenda.  (I read it a long time ago in a cat magazine and I'd give anything to find it again.)

Their ultimate goal is that there be no companion animals and that all critters be found only in the wild.

grimey
grimey's picture
User is offlineOffline
he found jesus? why cant

he found jesus? why cant nobody find THOR,ZEUS OR APOLLO?

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: While PETA

Susan wrote:

While PETA has done some good in the area of unnecessary animal testing, they hide their real agenda.  (I read it a long time ago in a cat magazine and I'd give anything to find it again.)

Their ultimate goal is that there be no companion animals and that all critters be found only in the wild.

Their end goal is total animal liberation. No pets, no seeing eye dogs, no zoos, etc..

Unsavedsinner
Unsavedsinner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mikey Vick found Jesus! Let's forgive him now!

Ughh, Paris Hilton did the same thing, these people who do horrible acts always try to get more forgiven by people by claiming they "found jesus" despite how religious they were before the incident. It's another example on how people of no god are concidered immoral. It really pisses me off that when Christians get in serious trouble, so many of them blame it on godlessness and that they now have found a god once they are punished.
What do you think?

Support our voice in politics by voting for the question "Is America unofficially a Theocracy?" at http://www.communitycounts.us/debates so it can be asked live at the CNN/YouTube debates!!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unsavedsinner, There was

Unsavedsinner,

There was already a thread started regarding this so I merged yours with this one. Please let me know if there are any problems. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
5 bucks says this time next

5 bucks says this time next year we'll be seeing the "Vick redemption" special on Oprah. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
NASCAR IS Is Jesus central.

NASCAR IS Is Jesus central. God loves his greasemonkey jockies.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Should we be starting a

Should we be starting a betting pool on the next person who finds Jesus?  Karl Rove already found Jesus and he didn't even get busted for anything.  My bet goes for Nicole Ritchie.

urbanrust
urbanrust's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote:

D-cubed wrote:
Should we be starting a betting pool on the next person who finds Jesus? Karl Rove already found Jesus and he didn't even get busted for anything. My bet goes for Nicole Ritchie.

I think Nicole will use her "god card" if she screws up again, meaning a jail sentence of more than 82 minutes. I wouldn't bet against your claim as these celebrities screw up alot, so we could ultimately see her "find god" very soon. My bet goes to Owen Wilson though, especially if it turns out to be true that he is in the hospital for attempted suicide.

I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Why do Christians keep

Why do Christians keep losing Jesus that these downfallen celebrities need to keep finding him?

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Now he finds

Nero wrote:
Now he finds Jesus? Is he washed in the blood of the puppy?
Jesus must have been one of the dead dogs found.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found Jesus in Tijuana!

I found Jesus in Tijuana!