Hilarious! ...not so much

netsui's picture

This is just too hilarious. I had to post it.

The Digg page:
http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Anti_God_Starbucks_cup_has_customer_steaming

The article:
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55564

It is unfortunate the such a message can cause this much trouble. Such is the power of words. Even if someone disagrees with a message (note the one about the gay person further down the article page) doesn't mean it should be censored. Is it any surprise that a religious institution (Baylor U.) censored a message about homophobia? I can only call it bigotry.

Cheers!

Susan's picture

Yeah.  That gals faith is

Yeah.  That gals faith is SOooooo weak that drinking from that cup would probably turn her into an Atheist.

I guess Starbuck's needs to put a disclaimer on their cups saying that these are submissions from customers, not necessarily the views of the company. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

BGH's picture

That is retarded. The cup is

That is retarded. The cup is not even really "anti-god", it is actually more pro individual and pro perserverence, than anti anything.

pariahjane's picture

That's it, I've had

That's it, I've had enough.  From now on, every time I see something that can be construed as 'pro-god' I'm going to complain!!!  That offends me, darn it, and I won't stand for it any longer!!!  She apparently  missed the part about 'different viewpoints'.

Gee, I wonder what would happen if I really did do something like that.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

netsui's picture

Delusion of extremes

A woman as deluded as this one will see anything the even hints at an opposing viewpoint as diametrically opposed to her own. It is a delusion of extremes. You are right though; it's not really anti-god.

Vastet's picture

A Canadian has turned an

A Canadian has turned an American off Starbucks. The Tim Hortons assault is beginning! Mua ha ha.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

RachelAbsinthe's picture

(Now, I am no fan of

(Now, I am no fan of Starbucks.)

Indeed there are many more good reasons to protest to Starbucks however I am quite surprised and at the same time supportive of this campaign by Starbucks because they are actually allowing and encouraging a fair ground for opinions and discussions. Being a generally tolerant atheist and one who does advocate freedom of speech and thought (and hopefully I act like it too), I like the fact that they have both points of views printed on the cups. While I have no problem with the theistic views I think that theists are protesting quite abit unnecessarily over the atheistic views which in my opinion, are simply rational and logical. Well of course they do have their right to protest and I don't intend to do anything to stop them from doing so but it is very clear that those theists interviewed are viewing and judging this campaign totally on a religious basis rather than dealing with it on a broader platform. That is kind of hilarious but their general reaction isn't much of a shock or surprise anyway.

Well what I really think about this whole campaign is that it has been both a success as well as a failure. Success being that the media has another thing to write about them and it is really free publicity (bad publicity is good publicity) and failure being that they are losing customers from the theistic camps. Then again on a second thought they have not really failed. There will always be new customers who are either genuinely supportive of this campaign or wants to own a cup just because it might be seen as cool to own one as it has become much of a media hype. Oh well, I don't think they have such a campaign over here though. Otherwise I can probably steal a couple without needing to buy a anything. Grr I shall probably protest to that then, among other things lol!

Oh and I have stumbled upon another forum discussing this by the way, posting the link here just in case anyone is interested. http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Anti_God_Starbucks_cup_has_customer_steaming

JCE's picture

Welcome RachelAbsinthe! 

Welcome RachelAbsinthe!  Please take a moment to post an introduction in the General Conversations and Introductions forum.

Jesterspace's picture

How Starbucks sees it

The way Starbucks sees it

I hate to do this.. but I gotta give Starbucks credit. In their series of coffeeshop cups with quotes on them, we find THIS gem.

"Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure."

The quote was written by Bill Schell, a Starbucks customer from London, Ontario, Canada, and was included as part of an effort by the Seattle-based coffee giant to collect different viewpoints and spur discussion.

"As someone who loves God, I was so offended by that." Michelle Incanno, a married mother of three who is Catholic, told the Dayton Daily News

To be fair, there are god-friendly quotes on other cups.. but this one is somewhat unique. Providing a basically Atheistic view. It's nice in something DESIGNED to spur conversation that several sides have been presented. That and THIS quote have been found.

Evolution as described by Charles Darwin is a scientific theory, abundantly reconfirmed, explaining physical phenomena by physical causes. Intelligent Design is a faith-based initiative in rhetorical argument. Should we teach I.D. in America’s public schools? Yes, let’s do it – not as science, but alongside other spiritual beliefs, such as Islam, Zoroastrianism and the Hindu idea that the Earth rests on Chukwa, the giant turtle.
– David Quammen. Author. His books include The Song of the Dodo and The Reluctant Mr. Darwin.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2005-10-19-starbucks-quote_x.htm

http://media.www.gonzagabulletin.com/media/storage/paper375/news/2005/09/30/ReligionFaith/Starbucks.Cups.Quotes.Questioned-1005040.shtml

http://www.atheists.org/nogodblog/index.php/2007/05/06/starbucks_gets_vocal

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55564

In the spirit if the campaign, i've placed links to several sides of the debate.

So, as Atheists.. are we supposed to protest Srarbucks just because of what's on the cup, as this Catholic lady has done? There are MUCH better reasons to protest Starbucks.

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

netsui's picture

RachelAbsinthe

RachelAbsinthe wrote:

...I am quite surprised and at the same time supportive of this campaign by Starbucks because they are actually allowing and encouraging a fair ground for opinions and discussions. Being a generally tolerant atheist and one who does advocate freedom of speech and thought (and hopefully I act like it too), I like the fact that they have both points of views printed on the cups. While I have no problem with the theistic views I think that theists are protesting quite abit unnecessarily over the atheistic views which in my opinion, are simply rational and logical...

I have to agree with you, RachelAbsinthe. While Starbucks is taking a risk (however minor it may be), this is just what we need in a society where it has seemingly become bad taste to actually care about serious things. It is sort of a good thing that the lady mentioned in the article went on a bit of a tirade (a catalyst) since the incident will spark discussions on multiple levels. This is what Starbucks is trying to accomplish with the quotes on the cups, I think.

Vastet's picture

Controversy = free

Controversy = free advertising as well.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Susan's picture

I think I remember a 60

I think I remember a 60 Minutes interview with the guy that started Starbucks.  He comes from an extremely poor background; his father had been injured on the job and was unable to work AND they had no health insurance.

As a result, I believe that all Starbucks employees are eligible for health insurance.  That impresses me.

Unfortunately, it's not my favorite foo-foo coffee, but I don't squawk when that's where friends want to meet for a cuppa Joe. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.