Question on the Pagan Parallels for the Jesus Mythicist

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Question on the Pagan Parallels for the Jesus Mythicist

Hello everyone. I am Kabane52 from YouTube. I think the Jesus Myth theory is nonsense that was righly abandoned by scholars in the 19th century. But apparently Bad Boy Flemming read too much of Earl Doherty and produced the "documentary" The God Who Wasn't There" which uses the hilarious "16 Crucified Saviors" list, which includes figures like Beddru. Do you know who Beddru is? He is made up. Never worshipped. But Bad Boy Flemming forgot to do his research.

My question is as follows.

What is the evidence for the following pagan parallels regarding Mithra.

Born of a virgin

Had 12 disciples

Crucified

Resurrected

I have seen these parallels parroted everywhere, but have not seen any evidence for it. So, your evidence that people thought Mithra had these four attributes is?

Oh, and by the way, the evidence has to predate Christianity. Take your best shot. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Are you that kid from

Are you that kid from YouTube?

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes I am. Please answer the

Yes I am. Please answer the challenge.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Crap, you mentioned it right

Crap, you mentioned it right in the first post.
Relax, though, bub. We're not all versed in mythicism.

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Why are there no scholars on the side of Jesus Mythism

How come it was abandoned in the 19th century?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote: How come it

Kabane52 wrote:

Kabane52,

Please do not repost the same question in a new thread because you haven't gotten a response in a time frame acceptable to you. Not everyone here is a Jesus Mythicist expert and reposting your question is not going to get it answered any faster. I promise you there are members who will respond in this forum.

If you continue to repost the same thing over and over you will be considered a spammer and you will be banned.

Thanks

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I won't do it again.

I won't do it again.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote: I didn't

Kabane52 wrote:

I didn't repost the same question.

The question in this thread was:

What is the evidence for the following pagan parallels regarding Mithra?

The question in my other thread was:

The two threads are substantially the same.  Keep it to one thread so your conversation doesn't become diluted.  Further, we merge threads that are substantially the same.  Just play by the forum rules.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote: Hello

Kabane52 wrote:

Hello everyone. I am Kabane52 from YouTube. I think the Jesus Myth theory is nonsense that was righly abandoned by scholars in the 19th century. But apparently Bad Boy Flemming read too much of Earl Doherty and produced the "documentary" The God Who Wasn't There" which uses the hilarious "16 Crucified Saviors" list, which includes figures like Beddru. Do you know who Beddru is? He is made up. Never worshipped. But Bad Boy Flemming forgot to do his research.

My question is as follows.

What is the evidence for the following pagan parallels regarding Mithra.

Born of a virgin

Had 12 disciples

Crucified

Resurrected

I have seen these parallels parroted everywhere, but have not seen any evidence for it. So, your evidence that people thought Mithra had these four attributes is?

Oh, and by the way, the evidence has to predate Christianity. Take your best shot.

Okay.  Try the Zoroastrian tradition of Mithraism which DOES predate Christianity. 

Born of the virgin Anahita - which was impregnated by the seed of Zoroaster much like Christ is said to have been conceived by the Holy Spirit bringing the seed of David unto Mary.

I agree about the 12 disciples, the 12 disciples is a trope reflecting the tradition in the Torah where Moses asks for one man from every tride to represent that tribe and lead it. 

I also agree that he wouldn't have been crucified, although he did shed blood for salvation of man.  This was a common hellenistic theme, a trope going back as far as the Elusian mysteries.

He did ascend into heaven, in fact after a last supper (or sacred meal).  His ascension, however, is not based on the Old Testament trope of Enoch like that of Jesus' ascension in Luke.  Mithras ascends on a chariot (similar in means like that of Elijah) to become the cosmic ruler.

Also, now that you've shown that you have no idea what the mythicist position is, what did you tend to offer in return for your contest? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote: How come it

Kabane52 wrote:

Mythicism was not abandoned in the 19th century.  It's been a continuing part of scholarship for two hundred years since the establishment of the historical-critical method and the establish of many redaktiongeschichte schule.  Additionally, most of scholarship has always been oriented away from secularism.  Especially after the turn of the 20th century.  The two historical Jesus quests (1st one starting in the early 18th century and ending with Schweitzer in 1911, 2nd one following Kasemann's lecture and article establishing additional traditions of his teacher and colleague Bultmann and ending with Robinson's evaluation of the quest in the same frame of mind of Schweitzer who categorized the quest prior to his book) established many methods which now are invalid and have been shown to be flawed for decades now.  This is in part due to much better dating techniques, new archaeological finds and additional advancements in the fields of sociology, anthropology and archeology (among other fields).  There is no modern historical-critical evaluation and refutation of the mythicist position as it stands today (put forth by Price, Carrier, Thompson and Doherty).  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
You make the claims. Back

You make the claims. Back it up by evidence.

You claim followers of Mithra thought Mithra

1. Was born of a virgin

2. Shed blood for the sins of mankind

3. Had a last supper

4. Ascended on a chariot into heaven

That is super! Where is the evidence for that which predates Christianity? 

As for scholarly opinion of the Jesus Myth, yes, it was mostly abandoned in the 19th century. Even the Jesus Seminar, pinnacle of liberal scholarship, admits that Jesus existed. (At least most of them)

The mythicist position is refuted in depth here: (All of these are just linking you to the letter of the last name. Scroll down to see the rebuttal pages.)

Doherty: http://www.tektonics.org/TK-D.htm

Price: http://www.tektonics.org/TK-P.html

Carrier: http://www.tektonics.org/TK-C.html

Never heard of Thompson. What has he written?  

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote: You make

Kabane52 wrote:

You make the claims. Back it up by evidence.

You claim followers of Mithra thought Mithra

1. Was born of a virgin

2. Shed blood for the sins of mankind

3. Had a last supper

4. Ascended on a chariot into heaven

That is super! Where is the evidence for that which predates Christianity?

Any academic publisher within the last ten years which has published on Mithraism.  Why don't you start there, and after you've read those books, you and I will be on the same level.

Quote:
As for scholarly opinion of the Jesus Myth, yes, it was mostly abandoned in the 19th century. Even the Jesus Seminar, pinnacle of liberal scholarship, admits that Jesus existed. (At least most of them)

No it was not.  Your opinions on scholarship are naive at best. 

Quote:
The mythicist position is refuted in depth here: (All of these are just linking you to the letter of the last name. Scroll down to see the rebuttal pages.)

Doherty: http://www.tektonics.org/TK-D.htm

Price: http://www.tektonics.org/TK-P.html

Carrier: http://www.tektonics.org/TK-C.html

And all of these authors have responded to Holding (which is not a historian or a scholar but rather an apologist who flings insults instead of evidence).  Holding has yet to respond to any of their refutations.  All of which can be viewed in their recent books and publications in peer reviewed journals.  That is more to say then your Holding source, which is neither peer reviewed nor has he ever been published.  Would you like to present a good source or would you prefer to present false information that historians pay no credence too?  (All four of the scholars I presented by the way are credentialed - Holding is not)

Quote:
Never heard of Thompson. What has he written?

Over 100 articles in peer reviewed journals and he is the editor of a scholarly monograph.  Again...what has Holding done besides fling insults and criticize his betters?  

NEXT! 

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
We're getting off topic

We're getting off topic here. The question was about the pagan parallels, so let's deal with those. How about we narrow it down to one parallel that we can discuss at a time.

The Virgin Birth of Mithra

What evidence is there for this that predates Christianity? 

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mithra was born of a rock,

Mithra was born of a rock, not a virgin.

http://www.well.com/user/davidu/mithras.html

That link is not an apologetics website, and it is written by a credentialed scholar, but it shows some evidence that Mithra was born of a rock. Mithra never died, he killed a bull, but this is only in Roman Mithraism, which postdates Christianity. We know very, very little about Iranian Mithraism. 

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Are you incapable of reading

Are you incapable of reading comprehension?  I said the Zoroastrian tradition, not the Roman Tradition you silly person, you!

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Exactly. The parallels are

Exactly. The parallels are only in Roman Mithraism (not Zoroastrian), and even there they are pretty weak. Tell me, in Zoroastrian Mithraism, what evidence is there that the followers thought that Mithra was born of a virgin?

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.theologyweb.com/c

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?t=102380 is a link that this guy claims that hes won the argument.  Oh btw, Frank Walton (our favorite stalker) thinks the same.

Nevermind that Rook has been at a convention all weekend (starting Friday), and has been busy as hell for the last week or so.  Im surprised he responded to you in the first place considering hes been busy.     

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo

Gizmo wrote:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?t=102380 is a link that this guy claims that hes won the argument. Oh btw, Frank Walton (our favorite stalker) thinks the same.

Nevermind that Rook has been at a convention all weekend (starting Friday), and has been busy as hell for the last week or so. Im surprised he responded to you in the first place considering hes been busy.

Ah, good. So Rook hasn't abandoned the argument after all. We are discussing the virgin birth. So, Rook, what evidence that predates Christianity demonstrates that in Zoroastrian tradition, Mithra was thought to be born of a virgin? 

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote:

Kabane52 wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/showthread.php?t=102380 is a link that this guy claims that hes won the argument. Oh btw, Frank Walton (our favorite stalker) thinks the same.

Nevermind that Rook has been at a convention all weekend (starting Friday), and has been busy as hell for the last week or so. Im surprised he responded to you in the first place considering hes been busy.

Ah, good. So Rook hasn't abandoned the argument after all. We are discussing the virgin birth. So, Rook, what evidence that predates Christianity demonstrates that in Zoroastrian tradition, Mithra was thought to be born of a virgin?

What gives you this impossible idea that the Zoroastrian tradition doesn't demonstrate parallels? Why would you think that the Roman tradition is the only tradition that resembles Christ (which is false)? Zoroastrian tradition resembles Christ just as other early traditions hold common tropes. There is no doubt of that. Please consider the following sources on parallelism between old and new testaments and extra-biblical religions:

Thomas L. Thompson, The Messiah Myth ; The Early History of the Israelite People; The Mythic Past; The Historicity of the Patriarchal Narratives; Niels Lemche, The Israelites in History and Tradition; Miller-Hayes, A History of Ancient Israel and Judah; Phillip Davies, In Search of "Ancient Israel"; Matthews-Benjamin, Old Testament Paralles: Laws and Stories from the Ancient Near East; James Pritchard, Ancient Near Eastern Texts Relating to the Old Testament with Supplement; Giovanni Garbini, History and Ideology in Ancient Israel; Myth and History in the Bible; John Van Seters, In Search of History: Historiography in the Ancient World and the Origins of Biblical History; Gosta Ahlstrom, The History of Ancient Palestine; Alexander Heidel, The Babylonian Genesis (To name a few)

Many of those deal with general parallel's, but here aresome specifically dealing with Mithraism:

Robert Turcan, The Cults of the Roman Empire; Michael Patella, Lord of the Cosmos: Mithras, Paul, and the Gospek of Mark; Payam Nabarz, The Mytseries of Mithras: The Pagan Belief that Shaped the Christian World; Manfred Clauss (trans. Richard Gordon), The Roman Cult of Mithras: The God and his Mysteries (again...to name a few)

These deal specifically with the influence of Zoroastrian tradition on the Romans, and how it shaped their understanding of Mithras (You apparently don't seem to realize that the Romans adopted the religion from Mithraism and that they really just altered a very small portion of the myth - much of it remained the same). These books will help you understand further the similar tropes between the two Gods.

I am not making the claim that Jesus is a carbon copy of ANY one God, specifically. That's a silly claim to make and one I fight against. However the fact that Jesus is a trope invented using manyvarious tropes is a fact. There is no dispute among scholarship about this. In fact, many historicists admit this, as did those even at the beginning of the first quest for Jesus which started with Strauss. However, that is the very problem. Once you admit it's all mythology and trope, you are essentially picking and choosing which part of the myth to take as "historical" (such as Crossan using the argument that Jesus's resurrection was probably historical, and the rest of the story parable). This is an underlining presupposition among scholars who claim Jesus existed - they start from the conclusion that Jesus must have existed, and then work backwards from that assumption (in their minds...something MUST have happened). This claim is automatically dubious, as nobody would claim (without gaining some sort of criticism from the consensus of scholarship) that the death of Dionysus, or Orpheus were actual historical events simply because they had followers (which is the only claim for Jesus to make). This is not how historical research and acumen is handled, and to think it is can only be viewed as naivety.

I certainly hope you don't hold this position, as it only reflects poorly on your thinking abilities.

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
You still haven't given me

You still haven't given me your shred of evidence yet.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't have too.  The

I don't have too.  The books I've presented do that work for me.  I've given you the resources so YOU can do your own research on it, as it is clear by your naivety you are clueless.  I am writing a book which takes up most of my time and as such I don't have the hours needed to present you with the evidence (which I'd basically be taking from these books).  If you want to know, and you are being honest about your question, there should be no reason for you not to check those books out.  If you are, however, just being a prick and are asking because you think you know-it-all, then you can honestly go fuck yourself.  If the later is true, I'm just wasting my time anyway.  If you are however being honest, and really want to know - go read those books.

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Works like Heidel's and

Works like Heidel's and Pritchard's note parallels but do not endorse any sort of "borrowing" thesis; in fact Heidel says that Genesis did NOT depend on Babylon's material. Nabarz is an occultist, not a religious scholar. Clauss does not support your case. Patella is a scholar but his work is considered fringe: http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/5409_5703.pdf and note that it speaks of general concept correspondence, not specifics like you want. Could you cite specifics?

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote:

Kabane52 wrote:

Works like Heidel's and Pritchard's note parallels but do not endorse any sort of "borrowing" thesis; in fact Heidel says that Genesis did NOT depend on Babylon's material. Nabarz is an occultist, not a religious scholar. Clauss does not support your case. Patella is a scholar but his work is considered fringe: http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/5409_5703.pdf and note that it speaks of general concept correspondence, not specifics like you want. Could you cite specifics?

I would say that you are either misreading Heidel or you are pulling that conclusion from somewhere else. Can you please cite me where Heidel says that Genesis did not borrow from Gilgemesh? I can't seem to find that in my copy.

Further, the works are supplemental. They don't all have to support my opinion individually, as many of the works I mention utilize the manuscripts and provide adequate and up-to-date information regarding the borrowing of tropes and ideas in older manuscripts.

I'll retract Nabarz if you agree to retract J.P. Holding.

You say that Patella is fringe, but I find that irrelevant. Why would it matter if his work is fringe or not, especially when the reviewer (which you posted) stated that "Happily, the overall thesis of this book is at the very least plausible." (p. 2) You say it fails with specifics, but that makes me wonder if you even read the article at length or perhaps you just skimmed it, as the particulars Patella is missing are not at all detrimental to his case in the least. This is actually backed up BY the review, "It is significant that the problematic details are not specific to Patella’s book but rather an issue for Markan scholarship as a whole." (emphasis mine, p. 3)

In this, I wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer (James G. Crossley), that there are lots of gaps in Markan scholarship, and where Crossley admits there are gaps, also suggests many scholars interpret too much into the book and claim Mark says what it really doesn't. This is where the somewhat new (last ten years) scholarship of Dennis McDonald come into play, where we see many instances in the New Testament, but especially that in Mark where the Homeric epics are used as a formation of many key events, including the boy who tosses the mantle off his back before running off naked away from Jesus, and the three women who visit the tomb of Jesus at the end of the narrative to name a few; as well as the calling of Judas to the Sanhedrin to ask him to identify Jesus (when many of their ilk would have known who Jesus already was, being that he had rebuked a number of them and overthrew the tables of the money changers outside their front doors!)

You say Clauss does not agree with me...have you read the book or are you just guessing? "Moreover, the similarities between the two religions adduced above must have encouraged Mithraists in particular to become Christians. They had no need in their new faith to give up the ritual meal, their Sun-imagery, or even their candles, incense and bells. Some elements of Mithraism may well have been carried oer into Christianity, which partly explains why even in the sixth century the Church authorities had to struggle against those stuli homines, those simply clowns, who continued on the very church-steps to do obeisance to the Sun early in the morning, as they always had done, and pray to him." (p. 172)

I also agree with Clauss when he says, "Most of the parallels between Mithraism and Christianity are part of the common currency of all mystery cults or can be traced back to common origins in the Greco-oriental culture of the Hellenistic world." (p. 168) This sets up my point nicely, in fact, that when you have mutualy similar religions fighting to save souls, ideas will be passed between the two when converts from one go to another and gain places of power in that community. This cannot be denied, and this is why Clauss admits this on page 172 (quoted above). The similarities are there, and exist. But they had to come from somewhere, and if Clauss even admits that they are similar because they came from earlier traditions in Greco-oriental (ancient near eastern Hellenistic) culture they could not be from events that actually happened in 30-33 CE.

When I suggest you go to a library and read the books I suggest you do so, otherwise you only show yourself to be foolish when somebody who actually has read them shows that you have not.

jcr4runner
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A telling discussion

This is an interesting exchange. I see in one place where Rook criticizes J.P. Holding because he's "only an apologist and knows how to fling insults." Then I read about a dozen ad hominems directed toward Kabane including Rook telling Kabane (a 13-year-old kid!) that he's a "pr**k" and to go F*** himself.

Rook, if you did YOUR research and "read some books" on the law you'd know you could be brought up on charges for this -- sexually harrassing a minor -- whether ignorant or not, it's a tortious offense. At the very least you should be ashamed. But I guess atheists have no reason to be ashamed of anything.

All he's asking you to do is cite some evidence and you're reply is that your "job" keeps you way too busy and that you are too smart to inform a 13-year-old with some valid questions. It doesn't help either your case or your credibility.

Then you pass off not being able to cite an example by telling him to "go read some books." If Kabane is 13-years-old and can think like this, then he obviously has read some books. I wnat to see the discussion develop and see where Kabane will be at in 7 years or so.

He's not a historian yet -- and neither are you since you have no credentials by which to call yourself that -- but his father is a professor of history -- or so I heard? But I predict Kabane will probably have his PhD while you'll still be caliming to be a historian with no credentials.

Do you think the rest of the world can't see this for what it is?

BTW: I saw in one place where you called Holding a fraud. At least Holding does have an M.A. in library science which makes him a credible researcher -- and you have your degree in ???

For the record, I have degree in Psychology and English literature and am a certified teacher of English. So I do have some formal training in social sciences and literary analysis. But it's only a B.A. and I don't claim to be someone that I am not.

What you have proven is that you are able to find lots of books that support your atheistic longings. But you haven't done a lot of serious thinking or writing on your own. You aren't published. I've been reading for a year now that you are "writing a book." That should be a great laugh when it's finished.

Essentially, you are a parrot. There hasn't been any NEW Higher Criticism in the past 150 years. All of the refutations of Higher Criticism that were done more than 50 years ago still stand.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
A little more from

A little more from jcr4runner, John Rogers, in his own words:

Quote:

I grew up in Framingham, Massachusetts. I attended UMASS/Amherst, where I double majored in English and Psychology. While taking continuing education courses to get my teacher certification at UMASS, I became a Christian at the age of 23. I joined a campus church at UMASS and took part in many evangelistic outreaches.

From 1988 to 1989, I worked for three semesters as a high school English teacher in Beverly, Massachusetts. During that time, I was attending a church that met in Boston. I was recommended by my pastor for a full-time writing and editorial position with The Forerunner, a nationally distributed university campus newspaper published in Gainesville, Florida. I served as the managing editor from 1989 to 1993.

During this time, I travelled to the former USSR several times, where I founded a Russian language version of the Forerunner, Predvestnik. This was an exciting time of great changes in a country where Christianity had previously been illegal. I got to make a lot of friends from Ukraine and Russia. I took part in a genuine spiritual awakening which greatly affected my life. This move of God is still going on today.

In 1993, I moved to Melbourne, Florida, a nice beach community just south of Cape Canaveral. My house is close enough to the Cape to actually feel the rockets taking off. I attend a local church here in Melbourne.

In December 1993, I founded Media House International - a ministry dedicated to the establishment of 'Forerunner-type' newspapers in foreign countries. Several pastors and Christian leaders from the community serve on the board of Media House International.

Here I am preparing the film acetates for the printing of The Mandate, a Christian newspaper for Chinese International students. As the executive director of MHI, my duties include writing, publishing newsletters and newspapers with cooperating ministries, raising finances for international missions projects, traveling for two to three months out of the year on short term missions trips to the former USSR and Latin America, and various administrative tasks.

In my spare time, I enjoy fishing, the beach, running, and golf I also spend way too much time on the Internet!

For a while I was the newsletter editor for the Christian Coalition of Brevard County and try to stay involved as much as possible in local political and pro-life activism. For more on how I got involved in pro-life, you can read my first article ever published in The Forerunner: Why I Got Arrested In Brookline.

I am single (b. 6/24/62). I own the house across the street from the infamous Aware Woman Abortion clinic, around which there was a restrictive 36-foot 'no-free-speech' buffer zone. We won this battle in court, praise the Lord! I sponsor through my upkeep of the Green House, a pro-life side-walk counseling ministry to women seeking abortion.

I am also the script writer and associate producer of several powerful videos by Reel to Real Ministries. These videos may be ordered through 'JC Rogers Poductions.'

See my web page for details: http://forerunner.com

My main goal for the next few years is to build the base of Media House International so that I may obey the Lord Jesus Christ in the great Great Commission. My vision is to have an impact on the nations by training young people in the use of Christian media. I invite you to learn more about Media House International and sign up to receive our monthly newsletter. If you will email me your name and street address, I will keep you updated on our progress in the former USSR. Learn about Predvestnik - and our outreach to Latin America - El Campe-n - and some of the other missions God has called us to in these exciting times!

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently, this is nothing

Apparently, this is nothing more than an attempt to attack me without providing any more insight to the debate.  Once more, because this thread seems to be hijacked, I will repost this for kabane or anybody else.  Please keep in mind that Kabane has been citing things that he has apparently not read, as I've shown below.  I've cited near forty sources above and all of them should be considered.  I have and will continue to be patient and wait for a response.  Note how I call him out below:

Kabane52 wrote:

I would say that you are either misreading Heidel or you are pulling that conclusion from somewhere else. Can you please cite me where Heidel says that Genesis did not borrow from Gilgemesh? I can't seem to find that in my copy.

Further, the works are supplemental. They don't all have to support my opinion individually, as many of the works I mention utilize the manuscripts and provide adequate and up-to-date information regarding the borrowing of tropes and ideas in older manuscripts.

I'll retract Nabarz if you agree to retract J.P. Holding.

You say that Patella is fringe, but I find that irrelevant. Why would it matter if his work is fringe or not, especially when the reviewer (which you posted) stated that "Happily, the overall thesis of this book is at the very least plausible." (p. 2) You say it fails with specifics, but that makes me wonder if you even read the article at length or perhaps you just skimmed it, as the particulars Patella is missing are not at all detrimental to his case in the least. This is actually backed up BY the review, "It is significant that the problematic details are not specific to Patella’s book but rather an issue for Markan scholarship as a whole." (emphasis mine, p. 3)

In this, I wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer (James G. Crossley), that there are lots of gaps in Markan scholarship, and where Crossley admits there are gaps, also suggests many scholars interpret too much into the book and claim Mark says what it really doesn't. This is where the somewhat new (last ten years) scholarship of Dennis McDonald come into play, where we see many instances in the New Testament, but especially that in Mark where the Homeric epics are used as a formation of many key events, including the boy who tosses the mantle off his back before running off naked away from Jesus, and the three women who visit the tomb of Jesus at the end of the narrative to name a few; as well as the calling of Judas to the Sanhedrin to ask him to identify Jesus (when many of their ilk would have known who Jesus already was, being that he had rebuked a number of them and overthrew the tables of the money changers outside their front doors!)

You say Clauss does not agree with me...have you read the book or are you just guessing? "Moreover, the similarities between the two religions adduced above must have encouraged Mithraists in particular to become Christians. They had no need in their new faith to give up the ritual meal, their Sun-imagery, or even their candles, incense and bells. Some elements of Mithraism may well have been carried oer into Christianity, which partly explains why even in the sixth century the Church authorities had to struggle against those stuli homines, those simply clowns, who continued on the very church-steps to do obeisance to the Sun early in the morning, as they always had done, and pray to him." (p. 172)

I also agree with Clauss when he says, "Most of the parallels between Mithraism and Christianity are part of the common currency of all mystery cults or can be traced back to common origins in the Greco-oriental culture of the Hellenistic world." (p. 168) This sets up my point nicely, in fact, that when you have mutualy similar religions fighting to save souls, ideas will be passed between the two when converts from one go to another and gain places of power in that community. This cannot be denied, and this is why Clauss admits this on page 172 (quoted above). The similarities are there, and exist. But they had to come from somewhere, and if Clauss even admits that they are similar because they came from earlier traditions in Greco-oriental (ancient near eastern Hellenistic) culture they could not be from events that actually happened in 30-33 CE.

When I suggest you go to a library and read the books I suggest you do so, otherwise you only show yourself to be foolish when somebody who actually has read them shows that you have not.

Kabane52
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Discussing the opinions of

Discussing the opinions of authors is not relevant. I discuss evidence. So provide the evidence, and I will respond. If you continue to tell me to read some books, then the discussion is over, because you refuse to cite a piece of evidence for a virgin birth predating Christianity.

And Rook, don't criticize JP Holding for not being a historian, when he does not claim to be. Yet you claim to be a historian and ancient texts expert because Richard Carrier(PhDless himself) told you you were. Get over yourself. 

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well most of the authors

Well most of the authors aren't citing their opinions, they cite other sources and things of evidence.  Thats how evidence works.  If you refuse to research things for yourself, then as you said, the discussion is over.  We can't (in some cases unfortunately) make you read.

Im the type of person (I think Rook is like this but I can't speak for him) that likes to show people how to find the answers.  Part of the reason for me on this is im lazy and don't feel like retyping the same shit and spoon feeding other people who are even lazier than I am to do the research.  

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kabane52 wrote: Discussing

Kabane52 wrote:

Discussing the opinions of authors is not relevant.

More naivety. 

Quote:
I discuss evidence.

You don't even know what "evidence" is. 

Quote:
So provide the evidence, and I will respond.

Those books clearly lay out the evidence for you.  Read them.  Stop avoiding the work load.  Answers don't come easy, you actually need to work to find them. 

Quote:
If you continue to tell me to read some books, then the discussion is over,

Because apparently you are unread, and wish to remain so. 

Quote:
because you refuse to cite a piece of evidence for a virgin birth predating Christianity.

I have cited 50 books which discuss and show the evidence.  The work is there and cited, you refuse to do anything about it.  This is now a thread which not only displays your ignorance but your inability to be intellectually honest.  You've so far lied and been dishonest throughout this whole thread and all you have done to suppliment that is show how incredibly lazy you are.  Keep it up.  Everyone with a third grade reading level can see you've done nothing but complain throughout this whole thread, while I've backed up and cited more than what you deserve.  This has been an gross waste of my time.

Quote:
And Rook, don't criticize JP Holding for not being a historian, when he does not claim to be.

I'm criticizing your use of somebody who has no understanding of historical methods and how the science of history is applied.  You utilizing him as a resource is just one more additional nail in the metaphorical coffin; that coffin, by the way, is that which holds whatever integrity and respect you might have had, had you approached this subject from a more honest vantage point. 

Quote:
Yet you claim to be a historian and ancient texts expert because Richard Carrier(PhDless himself) told you you were. Get over yourself.

Another lie.   Back this up please - and I still await your apology for lying about knowing those resources which you claimed above.

Freethinkaluva
Freethinkaluva's picture
User is offlineOffline
From Kabane52's original

From Kabane52's original post - "Do you know who Beddru is? He is made up."

Actually, "Beddru" is a typo that should read Beddou.

It's fully explained in this article "Beddru is Beddou is Buddha"
http://www.truthbeknown.com/beddru.html

"All the gods of the Greek and Roman mythology represent the attributes of the one supreme divine power - the SUN."
~ Macrobius 400ce "Suns of God" 67-68
http://www.truthbeknown.com/sunsofgod.htm

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Strobel is an award

Strobel is an award winning Journalist and Yale Law school graduate, but he consulted world leading historians on the pagan-parallel theory. This theory is ripped to shreds in his new THE CASE FOR THE REAL JESUS, edited by Strobel. Read it. No real historian believes in the pagan-parallel theory. Its all based on lies and revisionist history.

The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator -- Louis Pasteur

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The alleged similiarities

The alleged similiarities were added to the pagan myths centuries later. But even if there were certain similarities, it doesn't disprove Christianity. God often speaks first through myth, then history. Some argue that God used certain myths to prepare the world for the coming of Christ. This is why the Greeks took so easily to the Christian message, because they were already formed for Christianity to some extent. God is no dummy. He prepared the Greeks for Christianity long before it even came. I think it depends on how you look and interpret history. But the basic fallacy of the pagan-parallel hypothesis, rests on the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy (false cause). It is fallacious to assume one cause, when there could have been another cause. Just because A comes before B, it does not mean A is the cause of B.  Just because myths came before Christianity, it does not mean the myths are the cause of Christianity.The pagan-parallel proponents tend to view history as chaotic. Others as cyclical, and yet others, such as myself, as linear. I believe God uses history for His purposes. Atheists don't believe there is any divine nature to history, but that it is meraly chaotic and going no where. I don't agree with that position. History is the sands of time with God's foot prints.

The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator -- Louis Pasteur

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ever think about selling

Ever think about selling used cars, Apotheon?  You have the "one of the scummiest liars on the planet" thing going for you....you could manage well in that business.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon, do you not see

Apotheon, do you not see that citing credentials in this case is an appeal to authority? This is one of the fundamental differences between real science and real research, and apologetics. It doesn't matter if Strobel wins Miss America and the Kentucky Derby; if his arguments rely on logical fallacies and falsehoods, they will be successfully debunked (and they have been). The status of the person shouldn't bear on honest criticism of their ideas. Charles Darwin, for instance, was a real scientist who derived his conclusions from the evidence, and offered predictions to test his theories. He could have been wrong, but he wasn't. He was never wringing his hands with impish glee, saying, "Let's see how they handle it when I say we're related to apes!" That's where the evidence lead, and he was compelled to follow it even if it was injurious to a common view of the world. Now then, biologists don't recognize his theory because they've decided they like the cut of his jib. They didn't decide at some point to believe anything he says, whether it's founded or not. If a secret diary was discovered in which Darwin confessed his unfounded belief in geocentric theory, it wouldn't elevate that theory because of his status in other fields (nor would it invalidate his other theories in those fields). The apologist's role is the antipode of an honest researcher. They begin with a conclusion, and will radically contort the available evidence until it supports their claims.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote:  The

Apotheon wrote:
 The alleged similiarities were added to the pagan myths centuries later. But even if there were certain similarities, it doesn't disprove Christianity. God often speaks first through myth, then history. Some argue that God used certain myths to prepare the world for the coming of Christ. This is why the Greeks took so easily to the Christian message, because they were already formed for Christianity to some extent. God is no dummy. He prepared the Greeks for Christianity long before it even came. I think it depends on how you look and interpret history. But the basic fallacy of the pagan-parallel hypothesis, rests on the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy (false cause). It is fallacious to assume one cause, when there could have been another cause. Just because A comes before B, it does not mean A is the cause of B.  Just because myths came before Christianity, it does not mean the myths are the cause of Christianity.The pagan-parallel proponents tend to view history as chaotic. Others as cyclical, and yet others, such as myself, as linear. I believe God uses history for His purposes. Atheists don't believe there is any divine nature to history, but that it is meraly chaotic and going no where. I don't agree with that position. History is the sands of time with God's foot prints.

One big, gloppy ad hoc. 

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The appeal to authority

The appeal to authority fallacy is only commited when one appeals to unqualified authority. I didn't do that. I appealed to first-rate historians. Strobel merely interviewed them. And contrary to Rooks allagation, I didn't lie either. Everything is well documented in his book.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote:  The

Apotheon wrote:
 The appeal to authority fallacy is only commited when one appeals to unqualified authority. I didn't do that. I appealed to first-rate historians. Strobel merely interviewed them. And contrary to Rooks allagation, I didn't lie either. Everything is well documented in his book.

It has nothing to do with their qualifications if their specific claims don't hold up. Strobel is a glassy-eyed apologist, who interviewed a bunch of people from the Discovery Institute for "The Case For A Creator," most of them speaking outside their fields, and all of them with the conclusion already in mind. That's what that organization is for. If Strobel, by some fluke, has abandoned his fallacious tactics in his new book, then it's his specific claims that can be evaluated, not him as the simpering twit that he is. It's entirely possible (though not at all probable) that Strobel could be right about claims x, y, and z; but wrong about a, b, c, d, and e. The validity of a claim isn't based on an absolute measure of credibility bestowed on a person; it is the specific content of their claims. Do you get it yet? I won't repeat it again. I'll abandon this thread and write you off if you just repeat yourself.

You can post those awesome conclusions by Strobel's thus far anonymous experts you cited now. And some reference to the reasoning and research that supports them.

Mriana
Mriana's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Apotheon

magilum wrote:

Apotheon wrote:

One big, gloppy ad hoc. 

Actually for me it does disprove Christianity.  Since paganism was added to X-ianity. Originally it was another mystery cult, as well as another Gnostic cult and so on.  There were many different sects of Christianity all trying to overpower each other and be dominate long before the pagan birth story of Christ was written.  Then Rome some how overpower all them and we ended up with Roman Christianity being dominate until the Reformation.  Then we ended up with Lutheran, Anglican, and other forms of Christianity.This in not only in your history books, but Bob Price, John Shelby Spong, Tom Harpur, Karen Armstrong, and many others speak about it, not just Acharya.

Mriana

"Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark." ~ Lois Smith as Iris Hineman in The Minority Report

Sarah Stringer
Sarah Stringer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hm...isn't this

Hm...isn't this interesting....

Rook Hawkins is unwilling to provide evidence for something he claims to know as fact.

Hey Rook. This is Stringer if you remember me. I've decided to become a tad more active in my Rational Responders membership. Wink I didn't know you were writing a book. I can't wait to read it! But I do hope, since it sounds like providing evidence for this type of thing should be easy for you because you're reading books on it (and apparently writing one on it as well)...you should be able to provide at least one source (not an entire book, unless you're willing to buy this guy the book and mail it to him). 

You ask evidence of theists. If they gave you the title of a book and told you to go read it, would you honestly accept that as evidence? I wouldn't.  

I'm on timeout because I broke many rules of this website.

Occams Raison
Occams Raison's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins

Rook_Hawkins wrote:
Kabane52 wrote:
Yet you claim to be a historian and ancient texts expert because Richard Carrier(PhDless himself) told you you were. Get over yourself.

Another lie. Back this up please - and I still await your apology for lying about knowing those resources which you claimed above.

Rook - on another thread I asked for some names of professional historians (other than Price) who hold some form of the Jesus Myth position. Your name was mentioned, but when I asked about your qualifications no-one answered.

Are you a professional historian? Where did you do your degrees? Are you in a teaching or research position at an accredited institution of higher learning?

Thanks in advance.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sarah Stringer

Sarah Stringer wrote:

Hm...isn't this interesting....

Rook Hawkins is unwilling to provide evidence for something he claims to know as fact.

You apparently aren't reading.  Please review the last few pages for a complete review of the evidence I've provided. 

Quote:
Hey Rook. This is Stringer if you remember me. I've decided to become a tad more active in my Rational Responders membership. Wink

I remember you.  1 post is not what I'd consider more active. 

Quote:
I didn't know you were writing a book. I can't wait to read it! But I do hope, since it sounds like providing evidence for this type of thing should be easy for you because you're reading books on it (and apparently writing one on it as well)...you should be able to provide at least one source (not an entire book, unless you're willing to buy this guy the book and mail it to him).

Stringer, you need to learn how to navigate these forums, perhaps that is a problem for you.  If you go up to the top of this thread and click "Previous" or the "<" arrow or the "1" that will bring you to the lastpage where you can review the citations I've provided. 

Quote:
You ask evidence of theists. If they gave you the title of a book and told you to go read it, would you honestly accept that as evidence? I wouldn't.

I hope your next few posts are of better quality and aren't so naive as this one. 

irrespective
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rook, Do you honestly think

Rook,

Do you honestly think that this kind of attitude is becoming of an aspiring professional historian?  I'm scratching my head here trying to understand why it is that every person who challenges you gets the same thing--arrogance, condescension, belittling, etc. etc.  Is it merely a debate tactic you use to try to intimidate people or do you really believe this crap?  It certainly doesn't make you look smarter.  I'm sure it lowers everyone's level of respect for you.  If you're here to inform and convince people of a certain point of view, how about a little humility on your part?  I'm sure you'll flame at me too, but I just had to get that off my chest.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Occams Raison wrote: Rook -

Occams Raison wrote:
Rook - on another thread I asked for some names of professional historians (other than Price) who hold some form of the Jesus Myth position. Your name was mentioned, but when I asked about your qualifications no-one answered.

I am a historian, though I am not one by accreditation.  I have currently some 600 books in my personal library, many of them monographs and the rest all texts, translations of texts, or Loeb texts.  About 90% of my research is done through peer review, and I am peer reviewed (and currently being peer reviewed) by the editor (Thomas L. Thompson) of the Copenhagen International Seminar, a scholarly Monograph.  I've also been reviewed by several other credentialed scholars in the field (Richard Carrier, and even Bob Price have read my and reviewed my work).

Perhaps the reason why you received no response is many people who know me, or have heard me lecture or speak know that I in fact do have a very firm and experienced grasp of the subject matter.  Credentials, it has been said, only mean you should be smart and know what you're talking about, not that you in fact do.  That isn't to say I don't have hopes of some day being able to return to school, and get my degrees, and even teach at a college level.  But at this point, the fact that I am being peer reviewed, and that I fact check and cite more than many of the monographs I've read, should suffice.  Most people here care little about credentials and more about content.   

On the note of credentialed scholars and historians who have written on the subject of Mythicism, Thomas L.Thompson is the first and foremost scholar I will recommend, but others like Neils Peter Lemche and John Van Seters are working on a book dealing with the subject of Mythicism right now, and Richard Carrier (who holds two masters from Columbia and is currently working on his doctorate) also has written extensively on this.  Additionally, you'll find works by Alan Dundes, the late folklorist who died within the past two years has also written on this subject.  All of these works have been reviewed.

I hope that will help point you in the right direction.  My book, again being peer reviewed, will be available within the next 6 months if all goes well.  I do wish the next time you have concerns about my or anybody elses education on these forums you take the time to send us private messages instead of hijacking a thread, because it does make you look like a bit of a prick.  Although, I don't think that was your intention.

The best to you,

Rook 

P.S. If you're interested in what I've already written, feel free to check out my blog on this cite.  You'll find I take my position very seriously. 

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
irrespective

irrespective wrote:

Rook,

Do you honestly think that this kind of attitude is becoming of an aspiring professional historian? I'm scratching my head here trying to understand why it is that every person who challenges you gets the same thing--arrogance, condescension, belittling, etc. etc. Is it merely a debate tactic you use to try to intimidate people or do you really believe this crap? It certainly doesn't make you look smarter. I'm sure it lowers everyone's level of respect for you. If you're here to inform and convince people of a certain point of view, how about a little humility on your part? I'm sure you'll flame at me too, but I just had to get that off my chest.

I'm the first person to admit I have personality quirks, but only when it comes to idiots. If you REFUSE to go back one page and read what I've written, don't expect me to treat you with respect. Respect should be earned, not given freely. If you are too much of a lazy asshole to read something I've written, and then act as if I've never written it in the first place, I'm going to treat you like a lazy asshole. If you want me to treat you with respect and humility, show some.

Now, so you don't get all in a tuss, I'm not attacking you for bringing this up, and if my language is that which offends you, I'm sorry, but I prefer blunt honesty to side-stepping. Part of that means calling somebody out on their stupidity. And Stringer was being stupid. Sorry, but the truth hurts.  But, just look at my response to Occam, note how he asked a question respectfully, and I answered in kind.  There are hundreds of commends of mine that are answered in a similar fashion.  But those are to people who do not act like complete morons when talking to me.  Perhaps if somebody wants to challenge me, they read up on what I've said elsewhere so I don't have to act like they were too lazy to read my blog, or go back a single damn page.

irrespective
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I guess that makes sense. 

I guess that makes sense.  When people don't read what you write it can get frustrating.

croath
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rook, Are you here as a

Rook,

Are you here as a human index, merely to point us to books we could look up via google? Or are you here advertising yourself as someone knowledgeable about history and who can "fix" our theism?

If you think that you are well informed about the Mithra parallels with Jesus, surely you are able to direct us yourself to the *original* ancient texts/relics or whatever and their dates that demonstrate these parallels. Not just a random "Go and read these books", but a specific "This manuscript contains the following reference, and is dated at year x".

The specific references I've seen regarding Mithraism parallels with Christianity specifically post-date Christian events. I am very interested to be shown the specific ancient references that show the parallels, and you are one that claims to support that view. Are you a member of RRS for dialogue with us, or just to serve as our personal librarian who points us to a particular shelf?

If I wanted to tell you that I think the axiological argument for God's existence is persuasive here, I would not just point you to a book. I would present you with the argument and the support for its premises myself. I have done as much, just as recently in a thread arguing that Hitler was not a Christian. I did not just supply my contention, but included direct quotes to establish my case, and also went direct to the source to show quotes as to why the criticisms were false. This is what we want - the specific evidences that show parallels. Do you know them and can you tell us, or don't you?

Mriana
Mriana's picture
User is offlineOffline
croath said: "Are you here

croath said:"Are you here as a human index, merely to point us to books we could look up via google? Or are you here advertising yourself as someone knowledgeable about history and who can "fix" our theism?"No if he were here for that, he would not be proposing a historical Jesus and denying the similar myths.  IF he were here to "fix" people's beliefs, he'd be saying there is no historical Jesus, if there ever was one he's too buried in myth to find him- which would be a more honest approach.The way I see it, he's perpetuating a myth by saying there was a historical Jesus and no other myths are the same song and dance with a different tune.  If that is the case, then he's not doing much for Rationalism or even atheism for that matter.  He's helping theism along in a big way.

Mriana

"Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark." ~ Lois Smith as Iris Hineman in The Minority Report

croath
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mriana wrote: No if he

Mriana wrote:
No if he were here for that, he would not be proposing a historical Jesus and denying the similar myths. IF he were here to "fix" people's beliefs, he'd be saying there is no historical Jesus, if there ever was one he's too buried in myth to find him- which would be a more honest approach.The way I see it, he's perpetuating a myth by saying there was a historical Jesus and no other myths are the same song and dance with a different tune. If that is the case, then he's not doing much for Rationalism or even atheism for that matter. He's helping theism along in a big way.

Your post makes no sense. I can only assume you're employing sarcasm. Which, if is the case, shows you missed the point of my post. Stating a proposition, such as "The parallels in Mithraism with Jesus predate the story of Jesus" mean very little unless demonstrated. Just making a proposition is easy. Justifying it is a lot harder. And you won't persuade anyone by just saying something is the case.  You won't "fix" anything.

Mriana
Mriana's picture
User is offlineOffline
He's not fixing anything. 

He's not fixing anything.  If anything, he is giving support to Christianity.  I don't just say it though.  I gave plenty of support for it, but no one wants to go check my sources and they were more than just Acharya's.

Mriana

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mriana wrote: He's not

Mriana wrote:
He's not fixing anything. If anything, he is giving support to Christianity. I don't just say it though. I gave plenty of support for it, but no one wants to go check my sources and they were more than just Acharya's.

You're wrong on all accounts.  You have yet to address my needs to accept your position.  By being honest, I am not in any way giving credibility to Christianity - Jesus could still be a myth without somebody like you or Acharya OVERSTATING your position.  By overstating our position, you are HURTING us and making mythicism look like a Dan Brown novel, and I won't stand for your sort of incredulous tom foolery with the facts.  

My stance on mythicism is a historically credible one - not some backwater attempt by conspiracists.  There are literally HUNDREDS of books one has to read on the subject and other subjects to even attempt to understand the situation.  Do you have any idea of the political or cultural situation of the Hellejnistic age?  Did you know that there wasn't one "broad" hellenism, but in fact thousands of varying different types of assimilation and acculturation happening, specifically at a very personal level and not a race or general level.  You can't just say "Krishna inspired Jesus" and not expect any sort of academic inquiry!   There are very important socio-cultural facts that MUST be established, and you haven't provided a single instance of any of them.

So there are similarities between Krishna and Jesus - so what?  There were similarities to Native Americans and Celtic tribal Gods and rituals as well - are you going to suggest they influenced each other too?  Course not, similarity does not imply influence - one must prove it anthropologically, sociologically, archaeologically and textually - and by textually you'd have to show exactly what I've requested.  You have not.  If anything, you are giving Christians more to go on, because they can effectively deny what you have to say simply because you are overstating.  Read a real scholar, somebody who has published in dozens of scholarly journals, and even edits his own: Thomas L. Thompson.  But you probably don't even know what that means.

Spyridon
Theist
Spyridon's picture
User is offlineOffline
HISTORICAL

HISTORICAL JESUShttp://www.christiancadre.org/topics/historicaljesus.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA2d5jOpsH0http://www.bede.org.uk/jesusindex.htmhttp://www.tektonics.org/www.garyhabermas.com BOOKSThe Historical Reliability of the Gospels, by BlombergThe Historical Jesus, by HabermasMORE BOOKShttp://www.apologeticsinfo.org/bibliographies/jesusisnomyth.htmlCHRIST IS RISENhttp://www.risenjesus.com/index.phpwww.garyhabermas.comThe Case For the Resurrection of Jesus, by Habermas and LiconaAssessing the New Testament Evidence for the Historicity of the Resurrection of Jesus, by CraigCHRIST IS GODhttp://www.deityofchrist.com/Jesus as God: The New Testament Use of Theos in Reference to Jesus, by HarrisOn the Incarnation, by AthanasiusPAGAN PARALLEL THEORY REFUTEDhttp://www.christiancadre.org/topics/historicaljesus.htmlhttp://www.jesuspolice.com/detail_review_section.php?id=59http://www.frontline-apologetics.com/mystery_religions_early_christianity.htmMyth Became Fact, by LewisThe Gospel and the Greeks, by NashJesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament, by BruceThe Case for the Real Jesus, edited by StrobelJESUS IS MESSIAHThe Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, by EdersheimJesus the Messiah, by BrownRESURRECTION DEBATEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47Zd2AyeCghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrS5lRLi0uIAlso, read the Ante-Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers (38 volumes).I also want to point out that C.S. Lewis was a professor of mythology at Oxford. He said the New Testament and the life of Jesus was NO myth. The genre of the New Testament and that of myths are totally different.Also, Dr. Menenger of Sweedon has gone on record stating that virtually no scholar or historian alive today accepts the "pagan-parallel" theory. Study the sources above.

God always is, nor has He been and is not, nor is but has not been, but as He never will not be; so He never was not -- Augustine