Atheist Hip Hop and Weed

guest666
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Hip Hop and Weed

Love hip hop; love atheism; don't love weed.  The atheist hip hop I have heard has spoken almost as much about weed as it has atheism.  I don't see the link, and am very turned off to any rapper who tries to tie the two together.  Obviously there has gotta be atheist hip hop that doesn't have anything to do with weed, and I have probably just been listening to the wrong stuff.

Any suggestions?  Cool

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline

guest666
User is offlineOffline
Thank you, sir!  I'll check

Thank you, sir!  I'll check it out.

blueocean
Theist
User is offlineOffline
what is the deal

So, what is the deal with Mr. Gawn's song "I would say god?"

guest666
User is offlineOffline
I don't know it

Where can I hear it and what IS the deal with it?

Undecided

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you mean?

What do you mean?

guest666
User is offlineOffline
  Dante626 wrote: What do

Dante626 wrote:
What do you mean?

Are you asking me?

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
orinlouis wrote: Dante626

orinlouis wrote:

Dante626 wrote:
What do you mean?

Are you asking me?

That would be a negative, I hit the wrong button Sticking out tongue

I was asking Blueocean what he meant by, what's the deal with the song?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
blueocean wrote: So, what

blueocean wrote:

It's just art, he's not serious.

MR GAWN: doesn't do illegal drugs: www.myspace.com/mrgawn

Greydon Square: www.myspace.com/greydonsquare doesn't rap about drugs

Proclaim: Has medical marijuana prescription www.myspace.com/proclaimcreations

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: blueocean

Sapient wrote:

blueocean wrote:

Wait... you mean we SHOULDN"T start busting caps in Christians? It was just a song?  ....... Oh... Oh no... ooooops... Sticking out tongue

guest666
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: blueocean

Sapient wrote:

blueocean wrote:

greydon is good

i might like gawn a tiny bit better

have yet to check out the last rec; not too stoked on the med mari idea...  let ya know.  thanx for the gawn rec and also the kirk-bashing. 

STOP CAPITALIZING THE 'G' IN gOD! I DARE YOU!

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think EL P of company

I think EL P of company flow fame is probably atheist. He has a song called FLYENTOLOGY with Trent Reznor that discusses how people only use religion out of fear. IN it he sais "there is no intellect in the air."

Video for Flyentology

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2dBqGINeDvg 

Aesop Rock has a song called Holy smokes criticizing catholicism.

Heres a link to a recent live show I was at 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YXkpXq_6ORM 

Lyrics:

Just a little bruise in the back of the pews
Acting amused with a mask on them Vatican blues
For in the eyes of the organization I was raised in
Aes is just another cynic-brick in Hell's basement
Cubicle adjacent to the killers and rapists
For what? Drugs and fucking, It's part of growing up
Like cups over dumb shits better than the schools
I'm not an asshole I'm just a little confused
Just a lit fuse in the back of the pews
Watching a thousand flavors of the same God feud
I figure ultimate-peace is the common theme
So its a no-brainer piece when the blood hit the screen
Got a basic good and evil sensibility born
Good neighbor know a halo when it fit over  horns
 Im more science than faith, tim more the karma than bread and booze
I'm not an asshole I'm just a little confused

Probably my too favorit emcees. 

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
All that weed makes those

All that weed makes those black dudes want to get with white woman. we can't be havin' that!

FuhkTheSystem (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Check out sage francis hes

Check out sage francis hes drug free and still sick as fuck

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
orinlouis wrote:Love hip

orinlouis wrote:

Love hip hop; love atheism; don't love weed.  The atheist hip hop I have heard has spoken almost as much about weed as it has atheism.  I don't see the link, and am very turned off to any rapper who tries to tie the two together.  Obviously there has gotta be atheist hip hop that doesn't have anything to do with weed, and I have probably just been listening to the wrong stuff.

Any suggestions?  Cool

Hmmm, just curious whats wrong with weed? I guess if your talking about emcees that talk about weed all the time, yeah that can be boring. But in my opinion there is nothing wrong with smoking weed. It's like drinking coffee or redbull, your probably shouldn't do it often but every once in a while doesn't hurt. Anyway Carl Sagan smoked weed and even wrote a book about it!

GRIIM
User is offlineOffline
Smells like 'Atheist Rock' to me

orinlouis wrote:

Any suggestions?  Cool

I know this is an old thread, but it caught my attention.

The opinion above sounds to me startlingly like something born of the opposite side of the same coin as some mindless, self-righteous Christian rock fan, who wants his rock to be all about Jesus and who can't understand why anybody would want to sing about anything but the lord on a track.

You talk of being turned off by any rapper who tries to tie atheism and smoking weed together and about how you don't see the link? Well, they are atheists, and, wait for it....they smoke weed; Jumping Jesus, there's a link right there. In a more abstract sense, could you not stretch the imagination to a link between thought crimes like blasphemy and heresy, and the same kind of thinking which is applied to 'the war on drugs', which essentially employs a thought crime mentatilty in the course of persecuting people who are actually not comitting any act worthy of the title 'crime' at all? (Unless they happen to be pilotting a plane or performing open heart surgery after a fat one of the sticky icky, but that applies to any intoxicant legal or otherwise)

Could it be that there are a number of us who don't view our non-belief in gods and smoking a herb as irreconcilable qualities? Could it be that some of us experience no cognitive dissonance between our recreational ingestion of a substance and our atheism? That's surely crazy talk, maybe it's the sweet sativa I'm huffing, maybe I'm experiencing 'Reefer Madness'... 

Live long, prosper, go role-playing or whatever, but please, just leave rap alone; we have enough problems with your Christian equivolents molesting rock music. How the hell are we meant to laugh at Evangelicals if we've got  people going around heffed up on moral outrage insisting on sanitizing rap in the name of atheism, in exactly the same manner as the god-squad no less?

It's fine if you want to embrace the same backward opinions of the predominantly religiously motivated anti-drug set, but please don't suggest that those who disagree with flat-Earth notions about cannabis have no business linking their sentiments with their atheism as part of an overall ode to personal freedom. Try thinking less digmatically; atheism is not a religion.

Mao4EverBadi
User is offlineOffline
GRIIM wrote:orinlouis

GRIIM wrote:

orinlouis wrote:

Any suggestions?  Cool

I know this is an old thread, but it caught my attention.

The opinion above sounds to me startlingly like something born of the opposite side of the same coin as some mindless, self-righteous Christian rock fan, who wants his rock to be all about Jesus and who can't understand why anybody would want to sing about anything but the lord on a track.

You talk of being turned off by any rapper who tries to tie atheism and smoking weed together and about how you don't see the link? Well, they are atheists, and, wait for it....they smoke weed; Jumping Jesus, there's a link right there. In a more abstract sense, could you not stretch the imagination to a link between thought crimes like blasphemy and heresy, and the same kind of thinking which is applied to 'the war on drugs', which essentially employs a thought crime mentatilty in the course of persecuting people who are actually not comitting any act worthy of the title 'crime' at all? (Unless they happen to be pilotting a plane or performing open heart surgery after a fat one of the sticky icky, but that applies to any intoxicant legal or otherwise)

Could it be that there are a number of us who don't view our non-belief in gods and smoking a herb as irreconcilable qualities? Could it be that some of us experience no cognitive dissonance between our recreational ingestion of a substance and our atheism? That's surely crazy talk, maybe it's the sweet sativa I'm huffing, maybe I'm experiencing 'Reefer Madness'... 

Live long, prosper, go role-playing or whatever, but please, just leave rap alone; we have enough problems with your Christian equivolents molesting rock music. How the hell are we meant to laugh at Evangelicals if we've got  people going around heffed up on moral outrage insisting on sanitizing rap in the name of atheism, in exactly the same manner as the god-squad no less?

It's fine if you want to embrace the same backward opinions of the predominantly religiously motivated anti-drug set, but please don't suggest that those who disagree with flat-Earth notions about cannabis have no business linking their sentiments with their atheism as part of an overall ode to personal freedom. Try thinking less digmatically; atheism is not a religion.

I agree. I find many right wing authoritarian and even fascist views held by a portion of the "atheist movement." My medical cannabis helps me tremendously. Without it I have a racing mind that works like a tire that's just spinning and smoking, but the cannabis allows me the traction to move forward so to speak. I don't drink alcohol, don't do "drugs" not even caffeine, nicotine or aspirin etc.., I don't eat dead animals,  I generally don't listen to rap music even..especially not any rap on a corportate label and it saddens me that there are those who'd wish to take my medicine from me. Not only is this my medicine, but also a part of my culture. I've been smoking cannabis since age 8.

Here's to the prohibitionists, the last song on this video is a Nepali atheist rap song that as far as I can tell doesn't have anything about any plants in it, but I can't guarantee a nice toke of hash didn't have anything to do with it's production:

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
<object width="425"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3QrYHUN37M

ALL HAIL CARL SAGAN!!!

Infidelis
Superfan
Infidelis's picture
User is offlineOffline
 In Greydon Square's song

In Greydon Square's song "Say", he shouts out to RRS at the very end. Pretty cool to hear, just thought I'd let you all know