Ukraine

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
Ukraine

We in Slovakia stand with Ukraine, and we welcome refugees into our homes and communuties. We have shelters and volunteers ready. The rest of the world, please consider giving responsibly to a pro-Ukrainian charity, for example, one of these: https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/02/24/how-to-help-the-people-in-ukraine/

No to facism, no to imperialism, no to mafia government.

 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4902
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:We in Slovakia

iwbiek wrote:

We in Slovakia stand with Ukraine, and we welcome refugees into our homes and communuties. We have shelters and volunteers ready. The rest of the world, please consider giving responsibly to a pro-Ukrainian charity, for example, one of these: https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/02/24/how-to-help-the-people-in-ukraine/

No to facism, no to imperialism, no to mafia government.

 

I haven't logged/posted here in years, but recently I was checking to see how you were doing. I knew you lived near Ukraine.

Fuck Putin. Fuck the Russian Oligarchy.

I'll make a donation shortly.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
Please do. I'm headed to the

Please do. I'm headed to the border tomorrow with a group of folks to pick up some refugees--mainly women and children; most of the men are staying behind to fight. Various people in our village have offered accommodations. Some might be crashing at our place too. This shit is real.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
Btw, thanks for checkin' in,

Btw, thanks for checkin' in, buddy. It's been a whirlwind week. I had no idea anyone here would even see my post. I just did it out of loyalty to our friend, who's a Ukrainian transplant to Slovakia. She told my wife in a phonecall yesterday, in tears, that the best thing we can do is to tell the truth about what's going on. In Slovakia, we're OK. We're a NATO member country, so I'm not too worried. If that fucking mafioso attacks here, it's basically nuclear holocaust, in which case, nobody will left to give a shit.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13211
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
I sympathize with the people

I sympathize with the people of Ukraine, and I'd support if I had money to. But lets not pretend this is only Russia's fault. The West backed Russia into a corner and ignored them for years. This was inevitable. And it's only going to get worse the more people ignore the West's complicity.

All I have to say.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
OK, but let Russia react to

OK, but let Russia react to the West, not innocent civilians in Ukraine. I'm not going to pretend the US and NATO never did anything to Russia, but Ukraine certainly didn't.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5485
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Glad to hear you're ok.

 Glad to hear you're ok. The US cements its place as douchebag country of the millennium - Ukraine sends troops to every stupid war we got involved in the past 20-years, with countries that didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of attacking us. Now as a country that can be a real global problem expands we sit with our thumbs up our asses. You think we'd have learned from WW2 that nutjobs aren't going to just stay in their corner of the world. Obviously we didn't learn shit.  The US should have started a massive "training" exercise in Ukraine the week Russia moved troops to the border. Fuck the US.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
While 99% of this tragedy is

While 99% of this tragedy is Putin's to own, the US bears some responsibility for vocally advocating for Ukrainian membership in NATO for so many years, when it wasn't their decision to make, and also when they knew damn well the Alliance was extremely hesitant to admit them. While I believe in national sovereignty and Ukraine's right to seek membership in whatever international group it wants, their acceptance has always been a huge long shot, and the US acted like it was a done deal. Of course, Putin knew all this damn well too, but the US really gifted him tons of gasoline for his propaganda dumpster fire.

I will also say this: Putin is full of shit. The oligarchs robbed the military blind for two decades. God only knows how many of his nukes would actually fire, and I don't believe his crazy man schtick for a second. He hasn't got the cojones to push the button, and he doesn't exactly have the same unilateral control of the matter as the POTUS does. Nothing has changed since the Cold War: Russia talks up its capabilities and the US goes along with it to galvanize public opinion. Of course, I could be wrong about all this, and it's good for everyone it's not my call to make, but I'm convinced of it. More and more people are starting to realize the emperor is naked.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15949
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:While 99% of

iwbiek wrote:

While 99% of this tragedy is Putin's to own, the US bears some responsibility for vocally advocating for Ukrainian membership in NATO for so many years, when it wasn't their decision to make, and also when they knew damn well the Alliance was extremely hesitant to admit them. While I believe in national sovereignty and Ukraine's right to seek membership in whatever international group it wants, their acceptance has always been a huge long shot, and the US acted like it was a done deal. Of course, Putin knew all this damn well too, but the US really gifted him tons of gasoline for his propaganda dumpster fire.

I will also say this: Putin is full of shit. The oligarchs robbed the military blind for two decades. God only knows how many of his nukes would actually fire, and I don't believe his crazy man schtick for a second. He hasn't got the cojones to push the button, and he doesn't exactly have the same unilateral control of the matter as the POTUS does. Nothing has changed since the Cold War: Russia talks up its capabilities and the US goes along with it to galvanize public opinion. Of course, I could be wrong about all this, and it's good for everyone it's not my call to make, but I'm convinced of it. More and more people are starting to realize the emperor is naked.

How is this the U.S's fault? Ukrain knows damned well this is just like Hitler's move to make an excuse to invade Poland. Of course they want to be part of NATO. And why should we turn them away? Fuck Putin. If he goes for the scorched earth tactic, he is going to. If you know a cerial kiler has the drop on you and is going to kill you and there is no stopping it, at that point you have nothing to lose.

 

I'd only hope that there is a guy like the Russian during the Cuban Missle Crisis who will pop him if he were to really try it. That Russian back then didn't have anyone killed to prevent a nuclear war, but he had the mind to know what mutual distruction is. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15949
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:While 99% of

iwbiek wrote:

While 99% of this tragedy is Putin's to own, the US bears some responsibility for vocally advocating for Ukrainian membership in NATO for so many years, when it wasn't their decision to make, and also when they knew damn well the Alliance was extremely hesitant to admit them. While I believe in national sovereignty and Ukraine's right to seek membership in whatever international group it wants, their acceptance has always been a huge long shot, and the US acted like it was a done deal. Of course, Putin knew all this damn well too, but the US really gifted him tons of gasoline for his propaganda dumpster fire.

I will also say this: Putin is full of shit. The oligarchs robbed the military blind for two decades. God only knows how many of his nukes would actually fire, and I don't believe his crazy man schtick for a second. He hasn't got the cojones to push the button, and he doesn't exactly have the same unilateral control of the matter as the POTUS does. Nothing has changed since the Cold War: Russia talks up its capabilities and the US goes along with it to galvanize public opinion. Of course, I could be wrong about all this, and it's good for everyone it's not my call to make, but I'm convinced of it. More and more people are starting to realize the emperor is naked.

How is this the U.S's fault? Ukrain knows damned well this is just like Hitler's move to make an excuse to invade Poland. Of course they want to be part of NATO. And why should we turn them away? Fuck Putin. If he goes for the scorched earth tactic, he is going to. If you know a cerial kiler has the drop on you and is going to kill you and there is no stopping it, at that point you have nothing to lose.

 

I'd only hope that there is a guy like the Russian during the Cuban Missle Crisis who will pop him if he were to really try it. That Russian back then didn't have anyone killed to prevent a nuclear war, but he had the mind to know what mutual distruction is. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
The invasion of Ukraine is

The invasion of Ukraine is absolutely no one's fault but Putin's, 100%. I revise my earlier statement because fuck Putin after all the atrocities I've witnessed and heard first-hand accounts of during the last 5 weeks (we have several families of refugees in our house and village and have heard of lots of horrors). That being said, my point was it was disengenuous of the US to act like Ukraine's inclusion in NATO was a done deal back in 2008 (or was it 2009?), when they knew damn well that other members of the Alliance, mainly France and Germany, were not going for it. Not saying who was right or wrong in the decision over Ukraine's NATO membership, but the US definitely knew Ukraine's membership was not a foregone conclusion, yet chose to bait Russia with it anyway, probably as a hangover from the hawkish Bush "empire of evil" years (not to mention the fact that Obama was only fractionally less hawkish than Bush).

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
The invasion of Ukraine is

The invasion of Ukraine is absolutely no one's fault but Putin's, 100%. I revise my earlier statement because fuck Putin after all the atrocities I've witnessed and heard first-hand accounts of during the last 5 weeks (we have several families of refugees in our house and village and have heard of lots of horrors). That being said, my point was it was disengenuous of the US to act like Ukraine's inclusion in NATO was a done deal back in 2008 (or was it 2009?), when they knew damn well that other members of the Alliance, mainly France and Germany, were not going for it. Not saying who was right or wrong in the decision over Ukraine's NATO membership, but the US definitely knew Ukraine's membership was not a foregone conclusion, yet chose to bait Russia with it anyway, probably as a hangover from the hawkish Bush "empire of evil" years (not to mention the fact that Obama was only fractionally less hawkish than Bush).

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15949
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:The invasion of

iwbiek wrote:

The invasion of Ukraine is absolutely no one's fault but Putin's, 100%. I revise my earlier statement because fuck Putin after all the atrocities I've witnessed and heard first-hand accounts of during the last 5 weeks (we have several families of refugees in our house and village and have heard of lots of horrors). That being said, my point was it was disengenuous of the US to act like Ukraine's inclusion in NATO was a done deal back in 2008 (or was it 2009?), when they knew damn well that other members of the Alliance, mainly France and Germany, were not going for it. Not saying who was right or wrong in the decision over Ukraine's NATO membership, but the US definitely knew Ukraine's membership was not a foregone conclusion, yet chose to bait Russia with it anyway, probably as a hangover from the hawkish Bush "empire of evil" years (not to mention the fact that Obama was only fractionally less hawkish than Bush).

Outside this topic, there is no nuance in the debate of playing world's police vs isolationism. On the GOP right, they don't see a military contract through the private sector they don't love, despite ike's warning of an unchecked military industrial complex. Not to mention it is sick someone like Jeff Bezos pays no federal income tax and gets on top of that tax breaks, wich is basically free money for him at the expense of the rest of us who have to compinsate for what he does not pay in. 

 

But then there are those on the right, and even some on the left that say we sould not play world's police and stick to ourselves. Well. that doesn't really work either. Hitler rose to power because after WW1 the allies left Germany to rot, and left them in debt and economic ruins. Very easy for a madman to rise to power preying off the desperation of others. 

 

If a gap is left by leaving a venue, be it the enemy or be it friend, the other side will always try to expand and fill the gap that was left. In the west we do need strategic military bases like in Germany and Okinawa and some Arab states too. China wants to take Taiwan back from the "One state two systems" like they are with Hong Kong.

There are really no absolutes in situations like this. I will say no matter what, I think Ukrain's President is very brave and he really has, and rightfully so, been standing up to that KGB murderer. I do wish you to be safe and hope this ends soon with Putin looking for way out to save face. I can't imagine what it is like in Ukrain now. But you and all the Ukrianians and the President have my support.

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
Thanks. Yes, Zelenskyy is a

Thanks. Yes, Zelenskyy is a badass. He's like Churchill crossed with a WWII partisan. And he was a comedic actor! Stick that up your fuckin' toxic masculinity, Putin-lovers. That's like if Steve Martin had guided London through the Blitz. I guarantee you if Moscow was in the same position Kyiv was in a couple weeks ago, Vlad would already be in the Cayman Islands with the entire Russian budget in a fucking steamer trunk.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15949
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Thanks. Yes,

iwbiek wrote:

Thanks. Yes, Zelenskyy is a badass. He's like Churchill crossed with a WWII partisan. And he was a comedic actor! Stick that up your fuckin' toxic masculinity, Putin-lovers. That's like if Steve Martin had guided London through the Blitz. I guarantee you if Moscow was in the same position Kyiv was in a couple weeks ago, Vlad would already be in the Cayman Islands with the entire Russian budget in a fucking steamer trunk.

What is so fucked up and tragicaly ironic about Putin's horible logic, is that he is attacking a Jewish comedian. How the fuck can one be Jewish and a Nazi? That's like Chickens for KFC.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15949
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Thanks. Yes,

iwbiek wrote:

Thanks. Yes, Zelenskyy is a badass. He's like Churchill crossed with a WWII partisan. And he was a comedic actor! Stick that up your fuckin' toxic masculinity, Putin-lovers. That's like if Steve Martin had guided London through the Blitz. I guarantee you if Moscow was in the same position Kyiv was in a couple weeks ago, Vlad would already be in the Cayman Islands with the entire Russian budget in a fucking steamer trunk.

What is so fucked up and tragicaly ironic about Putin's horible logic, is that he is attacking a Jewish comedian. How the fuck can one be Jewish and a Nazi? That's like Chickens for KFC.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4128
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
 Since 1945 the only

 Reply to Beyond Saving:

Since 1945 the only decisive military victory was the first Gulf War under Bush, Sr.  Despite the  US having a military budget that dwarfs that of China and Russia combined the US has failed to live up to it's superpower status.  The most recent example is that after 20 years of the "war on terror" Afghanistan is now firmly back in the hands of Islamic extremists whom we also gifted with over 80 billion dollars  worth of ordnance to use as they wish.

 

I won't even elaborate on what a failure America's involvement in Vietnam was except to say the communists won.

 

Apparently the patriotic fantasy is that the US war machine should intervene in Ukraine to save the day and kick out nuclear armed Russia. I guess after that victory ( not fucking likely ) then America can step in and save Taiwan from China ( not fucking likely ).  Also China has the second largest military budget in the world.

 

o


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15949
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 Reply to Beyond Saving:

Since 1945 the only decisive military victory was the first Gulf War under Bush, Sr.  Despite the  US having a military budget that dwarfs that of China and Russia combined the US has failed to live up to it's superpower status.  The most recent example is that after 20 years of the "war on terror" Afghanistan is now firmly back in the hands of Islamic extremists whom we also gifted with over 80 billion dollars  worth of ordnance to use as they wish.

 

I won't even elaborate on what a failure America's involvement in Vietnam was except to say the communists won.

 

Apparently the patriotic fantasy is that the US war machine should intervene in Ukraine to save the day and kick out nuclear armed Russia. I guess after that victory ( not fucking likely ) then America can step in and save Taiwan from China ( not fucking likely ).  Also China has the second largest military budget in the world.

 

o

Not really, Bush Sr didn't finish the job, he left Saddam in power. But as far as leaving Afghanistan, Trump had already set the stage for leaving, Biden simply followed through. I will say that leaving all that military stuff there is a bit baffling. That was a huge fuck up. But it would have probably been worse if Trump had done the exit while he was in office.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4259
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is onlineOnline
The Ukrainians don't even

The Ukrainians don't even need the Yanks at this point. They're getting shit done. What Putin and his cocksucking lackeys fail to recall, whenever they start crowing about the "victory over Nazism" in the old days, is that, Soviet Union or not, the Ukrainians were on the frontlines for much of that shit. They are and always have been a nation of partisans. How Putin thought this was going to be an easy victory is beyond me.

Speaking of victory, the Ukrainians will be victorious. Having lived in this part of the world for over 17 years now, I have no doubt of that. The only question is how many rivers of blood will have to be shed in the meantime. A few weeks ago, I read an interview with a US defense expert who had worked in Eastern Europe for many years. I'm too tired now to track down the article, but, basically, the interviewer asked something like, "How long will the Ukrainians hold out?" To which the guy responded, "Until they're all dead." I concur on that one.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson