How this website still exists!

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
How this website still exists!

Brings back memories the time I spent here long ago. 

I am still unconfortable with the Theist badge like before (I'm Agnostic), but looking back on my posts and things I said I dramatically changed my mind on one topic.

I now say that free will does not exist and doens't make logical sense. I changed my mind dramatically about Sam Harris and I follow his podcast "religiously".

This forum looks dead though. Sign of the times we are living I guess... and that we all got older

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm happy it still exists,

i'm happy it still exists, if nothing else than as an archive of one of the most fruitful mass discussions in internet history. a very few still post here once in a great while. it's still a pipe dream of mine that more will come back here one day, as mainstream social media continually prove to be a stifling and corporately engineered form of discourse. if i were on twitter, i'd start #returntorrs.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Brian Sapient has done far

Brian Sapient has done far more for the skeptic community than anyone can know. He is not your Hitchens or Dawkins, but just like A Phillip Randolph was to MLK, Brian Sapiant is a pilliar of the atheist/skepitic community. 

For every shoulder you know the name of, there are far more that those you know stand on. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Teralek wrote: Brings back

Teralek wrote:

Brings back memories the time I spent here long ago. 

I am still unconfortable with the Theist badge like before (I'm Agnostic), but looking back on my posts and things I said I dramatically changed my mind on one topic.

I now say that free will does not exist and doens't make logical sense. I changed my mind dramatically about Sam Harris and I follow his podcast "religiously".

This forum looks dead though. Sign of the times we are living I guess... and that we all got older

Saying this website is dead, is like saying that because the combustion engine existed before Ford, much less, the modern Lamborgini esists. Brian Sapient's efforts are not lost because times have changed. Brian has had a huge impact on skepticism, and society in general. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm surprised this site is

I'm surprised this site is still here because traffic has dropped so much to almost non existent!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm surprised this site is

I'm surprised this site is still here because traffic has dropped so much to almost non existent!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i mean, one of my old

i mean, one of my old friends still has her old geocities-type site from the early '00s up. this website still exists because brian pays the bills and hasn't taken it down. it's not like websites just disappear because no one visits them.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 The  argument for free

The  argument for free speech is upheld by the fact that an avatar dipicts 3 assholes who lead to Stalin. So yea, I am glad this site still exists and can expose galactic stupidity.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mwah!

Mwah!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Theist badge

Theist badge removed.

Congrats!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Who got their theist badge

Who got their theist badge removed? 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm assuming Teralek.

I'm assuming Teralek.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
My advise is shut this

My advise is shut this website down. I was naive and thought it was a great idea that rationality could be promoted and that scientific methods could always be used to get at the truth. I would have even given money to promote such a movement if I saw it made progress in promoting rationality.

The fact is the mind creates its own reality. So people generally believe what they want to believe. So. very few people really want to have their views challenged or search for objective truths. People want to stay in the reality they created for themselves that provides their mind with comfort. So any quest for rationality and truth is doomed from the start by human nature.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 People view this website

People view this website every day, and not for me. It is  library with vital information and arguments for our positions. 

You don't like it because I challenge you on your "Hate all government, hate all taxes" garbage. 

It is low traffic as far as posts because Brian doesn't add new members because he doesn't have the time. But that does not mean new unique views are not happening every day. 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Everything Brian37 just

Everything Brian37 just said was completely correct.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Everything Brian37 just

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:My advise is shut

EXC wrote:

My advise is shut this website down. I was naive and thought it was a great idea that rationality could be promoted and that scientific methods could always be used to get at the truth. I would have even given money to promote such a movement if I saw it made progress in promoting rationality.

The fact is the mind creates its own reality. So people generally believe what they want to believe. So. very few people really want to have their views challenged or search for objective truths. People want to stay in the reality they created for themselves that provides their mind with comfort. So any quest for rationality and truth is doomed from the start by human nature.

Oh my god, fucking midlife crisis, fucking edgy, nihilistic diiiivaaaaa... Seriously, I used to write shit like this on exams when I was a sophomore in college.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Everything

Sapient wrote:

Yes, it unequivocally was. Thanks, Brian Sapient, for keeping this running. By the way, how are you?

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 I am glad this website is

I am glad this website is still up. It also gives me the opportunity to annoy the fuck out of veryone with ABBA. 

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:EXC wrote:My

iwbiek wrote:

EXC wrote:

Oh my god, fucking midlife crisis, fucking edgy, nihilistic diiiivaaaaa... Seriously, I used to write shit like this on exams when I was a sophomore in college.

Thanks for proving my point. People don't want to engage in rational discussion. Just make up insults with anyone that disagrees and politcally, send em to the guillotine. Then claim you are on the side the oppressed, not an oppressor.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
EXC wrote:iwbiek wrote:EXC

EXC wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

EXC wrote:

Thanks for proving my point. People don't want to engage in rational discussion. Just make up insults with anyone that disagrees and politcally, send em to the guillotine. Then claim you are on the side the oppressed, not an oppressor.

EXE, "Rational disscussion means just accept what I say because I know everything."