Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life?

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline

It seems that the older I get, the less enjoyable and desirable the thought of living eternally becomes, even though I am quite pleased with how my life has evolved and how I will end this life.

Be it with a body here on earth, or as a spirit in some heaven, I cannot imagine anyone living eternally and enjoying it.

It would be like living watching the same T V program running over and over and over, since there is nothing new under the sun. All would be seen as allegories and or analogous of other situations.

Thoughts?

Regards

DL

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The idea of eternnal

The idea of eternal repitition is vile. 

If your only goal is to kiss ass for eternity, it is like you said, watching the same show over and over. I have shows and movies and food I like, but yea, if I only had one to do forever that woulld go beyond boring and become torture.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't think we have free

I don't think we have free will to decide what is pleasurable and what is not pleasurable. A brain could be remade to enjoy the same thing continually and not experience boredom. If there are an infinite number of universes as many scientists not think, it would mean that eternal recurrence is inevitable. But if memories of past lives don't survive, are you really you? The mystery of conscientiousness would have to be understood before science could ever begin to answer your questions rationally.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: The idea of

Brian37 wrote:

The idea of eternal repitition is vile. 

If your only goal is to kiss ass for eternity, it is like you said, watching the same show over and over. I have shows and movies and food I like, but yea, if I only had one to do forever that woulld go beyond boring and become torture.

Let us pray that no one has those kinds of lips.

Regards

DL

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: I don't think we

EXC wrote:

I don't think we have free will to decide what is pleasurable and what is not pleasurable. A brain could be remade to enjoy the same thing continually and not experience boredom. If there are an infinite number of universes as many scientists not think, it would mean that eternal recurrence is inevitable. But if memories of past lives don't survive, are you really you? The mystery of conscientiousness would have to be understood before science could ever begin to answer your questions rationally.

Writers seem convince of the eventual downfall of any utopia. The arts are often on the pin.

As to our free will, we have it within the bounds of nature and physics.

I even have a little test to prove that we have that limited free will.

It involves giving it away to my will in how you reply to me.

If you disagree, you might want to try it.

Regards

DL

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote:I even

Greatest I am wrote:

Regards

DL

Why not a turning test? The same test for me and same test for computer. Or do you think computers can also have 'freewill'?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Greatest I am

EXC wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Regards

DL

Why not a turning test? The same test for me and same test for computer. Or do you think computers can also have 'freewill'?

I do not have a turning test, nor a turing test. Mine is simpler.

I do not think computers have a free will. They are nachines that read code and do as instructed to do. Unlike us, they cannot choose arbitrarily to say no, the way children do.

Regards

DL

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote:I do not

Greatest I am wrote:

I do not think computers have a free will. They are nachines that read code and do as instructed to do. Unlike us, they cannot choose arbitrarily to say no, the way children do.

Regards

DL

So can your test show that humans have free will and machines do not? What is your test?

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Greatest I am

EXC wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Regards

DL

So can your test show that humans have free will and machines do not? What is your test?

The test has nothing to do with machines. As I indicated they vannot refuse or say no without instructions to do so.

The test is simple. 

I ask you, here and now should you want to take the test, to give up your freedom to do as you like in responding to this post, and do it the way I want/will, and not as you normally would.

Start your responce with the letter I.

The nice proof is that should your do as requested, or not, it shows you that it is your will that you set aside for me, and if you refuse, it also shows you having a free will.

You can only give up what you have.

Regards

DL

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems you are being vague

Seems you are being vague and cryptic to avoid the fact that you don't have a real rational test for free-will. You don't even have a definition of what free will is. Start with that.

Greatest I am
Greatest I am's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Seems you are

EXC wrote:

Seems you are being vague and cryptic to avoid the fact that you don't have a real rational test for free-will. You don't even have a definition of what free will is. Start with that.

Your wrong opinion is noted.

I have no need to make up new definitions for well known concepts.

The basic logic trail for the test is sound.

Take it or not, but the test cannot be refuted as it clearly has you exercising your freee will.

New definitions mean you either do not understand what I put or -----

Regards

DL

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote:I have

Greatest I am wrote:

I have no need to make up new definitions for well known concepts.

I don't want you to make anything up. Just tell me your definition of what would be free-will and what would not be free-will and give examples. Rational people define terms when making an argument or explaining something. Your reluctance to define terms is indication that you don't have a rational argument or belief about free will.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i've never understood why

i've never understood why the whole "free will" debate even matters, especially to atheists. it only makes sense in a religious, and especially christian, context, where it has implications about the "goodness" of god. free will believers accuse non-free will believers of painting a picture of a capricious, immoral god, and non-free will believers spend their time trying to argue that evil is still somehow not god's fault. atheists don't have any of that baggage to deal with.

in fact, that's why atheists have to banter about what "free will" means. for christians, it's easy: free will means i am morally culpable for my actions. again, atheists don't have that baggage, and the very fact that they need to split hairs about what "free will" is and isn't clearly shows how irrelevant the question is to them. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote: Did

Greatest I am wrote:

It seems that the older I get, the less enjoyable and desirable the thought of living eternally becomes, even though I am quite pleased with how my life has evolved and how I will end this life.

Be it with a body here on earth, or as a spirit in some heaven, I cannot imagine anyone living eternally and enjoying it.

It would be like living watching the same T V program running over and over and over, since there is nothing new under the sun. All would be seen as allegories and or analogous of other situations.

Thoughts?

Regards

DL

Well, what you're not taking into accounts is, the "here after" (as it is referred to) isn't going to be the same as it is now. The book denotes that at some time things will change and the world that will be isn't going to be like this one. The book states that there will be a resurrection after all the worlds governments and religions are terminated. So, you won't be living in these times that have been determined by man as things are. Bear in mind, this is man's idea and how people want things to be. About 75% of the people will be gone after being taken away during armageddon.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Greatest I am wrote: Did

Greatest I am wrote:

Thoughts?

Regards

DL

Consider, that for one thing you have the wrong interpretation of the book to begin with. Take a look at the website below. 

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth