Self Help Books for Freethinkers

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
Self Help Books for Freethinkers

I've tried to read some Self Help type book but I get turned off by a lot of the New Age speak that a lot of them have where they personify the universe with motivations. Any recommendations?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't get it. If there

I don't get it. If there are things like books or 12 step groups outside yourself where the help is coming from, how could still be called 'Self Help'?

I have video recommendation. Go to Youtube and search for 'Closer to Truth' & 'Follow the evidence'.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: I don't get it.

EXC wrote:

I don't get it. If there are things like books or 12 step groups outside yourself where the help is coming from, how could still be called 'Self Help'?

I have video recommendation. Go to Youtube and search for 'Closer to Truth' & 'Follow the evidence'.

Why?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally I think self help

Personally I think self help books are a well meaning scam. What works for one person will certainly not work for any random person.

The best way to help yourself is to first understand yourself. Who are you? What do you want? What kind of personality do you have? What is/are your problem(s)? Once you have answered these questions, you can do research on your own to figure out what is best for you.

Try writing your own self help book. You'll almost certainly find out a lot more than you ever could reading someone elses.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.