It's becoming sensless.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
It's becoming sensless.

I like the Web as you can see BUT. A storm is coming so I go online to see where it is exactly because the wind is coming up and other particulars. SO WHAT, you may say. Well Hells Bells, there's so much advertising on the weather site the storm is over by time it all loads---and I didn't get to find out diddlydo. The wind stopped, the rain stopped and---the page still isn't loaded. But I sure found out where all the travel trailers are being sold in this area.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It is funny how technology

It is funny how technology advances don't really make things better as might be expected. This is another case, it takes as long to get information from the web as it did 25 years ago with dial up because of all the crap loaded onto web pages now.

You have to wait minutes after turning your TV to watch because it is booting a bunch of features the manufacturer thinks you may want,  just people did in vacuum tube days.

Technology can't really make a net improvement because there is still intense competition. Web pages will be filled with as much crap as the viewers can tolerate. As long as there is intense competiton, technology will be use to enslave us, not free us.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I quit going to their

I quit going to their website. There are a dozen others which are better and no ads/or very few.

I agree. The website is a cesspool of pop ups and ads. It's sickening.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If a website is going to

If a website is going to let you access it for free, then the adds on it should not be so ram draining as to slow you down. I don't have that problem using FB or Twitter, but I do know some sites like the Washington Post, will only allow 10 free views before you get a bot add blocking you from the site basically saying if you want it now you have to buy it. 

But, this isn't just the web. The NFL not only gets "sponsorships" from corporations, like the pre game show, halftime show, the stadiums and fields have corporate names. This especially fucking annoys me because those assholes also have for decades blackmailed cities for free stadiums. NFL makes billions off of caps and shirts and knicknacks alone, on top of millions each game seats, and concessions in overpriced food and beer.

One thing though, it isn't always the adds that slow things down. It could be simply you are running too much, or your ram is bogged down by spyware. Rebooting your computer and updating your virus can keep your cashe and ram running more smoothly. If you do a lot of downloading and deleting defraging your hard drive can help too.

But even off the web, the amount of adds we have everwhere is fucking absurd. It would not surprise me if the big screen gets treated like a TV and they start putting bugs and adds in the corner. I know business is going to exist but it has become way to powerful at the top and is becoming more and more abusive. Not because every employee working for big biz is bad, but because of our deregulation climate. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I think I

went on line in 97. I remember the little red dealie mthat would be at the bottom ogf the page that showed the progress of the page loading. Bloop, something would appear and then after getting a cup of coffee and a sandwich, then go to the head, stand around for a while scratching my ass and , Bloop, there would appear something else and on it went. A 20K modem was a real pain. The I got a 56K and it was OK for a while and until all kinds of adverstising started and within 2 years a 56K was equal to trash. Now we have the same problem. Now the FCC wants to turn the wb over to private ownership (or something like that). Isn't the web paid for by the public. what authority does the FCC have to give away something it doesn't own. Since about 86 we've been taxed on our phone bills to install the web in schools, hopsidals and libraies and now the private fat cats want to take it waway from the public. And I'll add, we still are paying the tax on the phone bill to this day. It's disguised as somethin else that can't be deciphered unless one has an IQ of 200, and there isn't a congress person in the world with an IQ over 50---er--- maybe 49.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote: went on line

Old Seer wrote:

went on line in 97. I remember the little red dealie mthat would be at the bottom ogf the page that showed the progress of the page loading. Bloop, something would appear and then after getting a cup of coffee and a sandwich, then go to the head, stand around for a while scratching my ass and , Bloop, there would appear something else and on it went. A 20K modem was a real pain. The I got a 56K and it was OK for a while and until all kinds of adverstising started and within 2 years a 56K was equal to trash. Now we have the same problem. Now the FCC wants to turn the wb over to private ownership (or something like that). Isn't the web paid for by the public. what authority does the FCC have to give away something it doesn't own. Since about 86 we've been taxed on our phone bills to install the web in schools, hopsidals and libraies and now the private fat cats want to take it waway from the public. And I'll add, we still are paying the tax on the phone bill to this day. It's disguised as somethin else that can't be deciphered unless one has an IQ of 200, and there isn't a congress person in the world with an IQ over 50---er--- maybe 49.

I'd like to see all electricity shut off and stay off. I can live with out the Internet. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's funny. i'm not sure if

it's funny. i'm not sure if i am a "millennial" or not. i did graduate in 2000. if i am a millennial, i'm definitely on the older end of the spectrum. they used to call us generation y. anyway, i remember life without the internet. our family didn't get it until i was around 15. i had my first cell phone when i was 19, and only because my mother insisted. i didn't want it. now i look upon the days before internet and the cell phone as an idyll. i miss the time when people only called you at home in the evening if it was a dire emergency, and even then they apologized profusely. i remember my mother taking the phone off the hook at dinner.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:it's funny. i'm

iwbiek wrote:
it's funny. i'm not sure if i am a "millennial" or not. i did graduate in 2000. if i am a millennial, i'm definitely on the older end of the spectrum. they used to call us generation y. anyway, i remember life without the internet. our family didn't get it until i was around 15. i had my first cell phone when i was 19, and only because my mother insisted. i didn't want it. now i look upon the days before internet and the cell phone as an idyll. i miss the time when people only called you at home in the evening if it was a dire emergency, and even then they apologized profusely. i remember my mother taking the phone off the hook at dinner.

I remember 7 digit dialing, rotary phones, long extension cords for the phone so we could talk in private in our bedrooms (like 100ft cord).

I remember running a BBS and playing games using Novell. I remember payphones. I remember having to mail stuff because there was no UPS or FedX.

Holy fuck I'm old.

You are a millennial if you were born between 1980 and 1990. If your parents were late "baby boomers" or early Gen-X parents, usually.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Eventually

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

I'd like to see all electricity shut off and stay off. I can live with out the Internet. 

it's going to happen. But I think it's going to be going from a grid to a local system and along with a personal system.. The main thing about electricity--it beats candles. When I'm at Quartzsite Az for part of the year I'm on my own for electicity, and the main comfort is that I have lights. I have internet by going into town at a McDonalds, and mostly used to keep track of my fincial accounts. A number of RV'ers have wind drivens and they do just fine with them. That gives me an idea for the future. I think we're becoming (or have become) to attached to a large gid system that in time will become to expensive for most and floks will be going to simpler systems but they won't have as much power as the grid system.

A full house power system is going to be far to expensive for the over-all masses, and as it is and is going this system we have will definetly fail for various reasons. I made my electricity from 1988 to 2007 via steam boiler , and I can tell you it's a pain. I'm sure that there aren't to many floks that would be willing to spen 2 hours a day grinding out battery charge. For me it's going to be wind, but one will have to get used to times of little or no electric. But if one simplifies it'll do ok.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I remember 7 digit dialing, rotary phones, long extension cords for the phone so we could talk in private in our bedrooms (like 100ft cord).

I remember running a BBS and playing games using Novell. I remember payphones. I remember having to mail stuff because there was no UPS or FedX.

Holy fuck I'm old.

You are a millennial if you were born between 1980 and 1990. If your parents were late "baby boomers" or early Gen-X parents, usually.

goddammit, i guess i am a millennial. too bad, because i fucking hate them. i was born in '82. my parents were baby-boomers; dad was 32 and mom was 26. there is definitely a difference between early and late millennials though, and i think it goes back to that technology divide. those born in 1990 might not remember life without the net.

i fucking loved my grandmother's rotary phone when i was a kid. i thought touchtone phones were shitty. i still do. i can still remember the seven-digit numbers for most of my family members in those days. i also remember only dialing 1, then the seven digits for a long distance number. then, when i was maybe 9 or 10, you had to start using the area code too.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:it's going to

Old Seer wrote:

it's going to happen. But I think it's going to be going from a grid to a local system and along with a personal system.. The main thing about electricity--it beats candles. When I'm at Quartzsite Az for part of the year I'm on my own for electicity, and the main comfort is that I have lights. I have internet by going into town at a McDonalds, and mostly used to keep track of my fincial accounts. A number of RV'ers have wind drivens and they do just fine with them. That gives me an idea for the future. I think we're becoming (or have become) to attached to a large gid system that in time will become to expensive for most and floks will be going to simpler systems but they won't have as much power as the grid system.

A full house power system is going to be far to expensive for the over-all masses, and as it is and is going this system we have will definetly fail for various reasons. I made my electricity from 1988 to 2007 via steam boiler , and I can tell you it's a pain. I'm sure that there aren't to many floks that would be willing to spen 2 hours a day grinding out battery charge. For me it's going to be wind, but one will have to get used to times of little or no electric. But if one simplifies it'll do ok.

I believe that could happen.

I believe solar is the future. Every house with a grid of panels. Then feeding it back to run turbines if there is excess not being used, so that in the evening we can use water towers to run another set of turbines to generate power.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Holy fuck I'm old.

goddammit, i guess i am a millennial. too bad, because i fucking hate them. i was born in '82. my parents were baby-boomers; dad was 32 and mom was 26. there is definitely a difference between early and late millennials though, and i think it goes back to that technology divide. those born in 1990 might not remember life without the net.
i fucking loved my grandmother's rotary phone when i was a kid. i thought touchtone phones were shitty. i still do. i can still remember the seven-digit numbers for most of my family members in those days. i also remember only dialing 1, then the seven digits for a long distance number. then, when i was maybe 9 or 10, you had to start using the area code too.

I agree. Early millennials are better than late because the later are so full of shit.

I remember you always had to dial 1- then the area code. Now you don't need that and can dial the area code.

I remember my 300 baud modem. It was crazy fast for the day.

I owe a lot to my grandma. She was freaking awesome. She helped me by the 300 baud too.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm not sure why you didn't

i'm not sure why you didn't need the area code in kentucky back then. maybe because there were relatively few numbers.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i'm not sure

iwbiek wrote:
i'm not sure why you didn't need the area code in kentucky back then. maybe because there were relatively few numbers.

Most likely. I remember not needing an area code back in the 70's. I think it was the 80's when we finally had to use the area code.

Heck. I remember our house being a rural route. We didn't have a actual house number. The mail came via a different process via name and a route number.

So we'd be like The Anderson's, rural route 45, city. No zip-code needed.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Wl, I've said

EXC wrote:

It is funny how technology advances don't really make things better as might be expected. This is another case, it takes as long to get information from the web as it did 25 years ago with dial up because of all the crap loaded onto web pages now.

You have to wait minutes after turning your TV to watch because it is booting a bunch of features the manufacturer thinks you may want,  just people did in vacuum tube days.

Technology can't really make a net improvement because there is still intense competition. Web pages will be filled with as much crap as the viewers can tolerate. As long as there is intense competiton, technology will be use to enslave us, not free us.

a few times on this site---we've become victims of our inventions. Most of the stuff we have topday isn't really necessary. We're being sold on ideas jsut for the sake of economy. As  kid I remember the crank telephone---it worked. At 10 cents a cal and replace the drycell every few months the phone bill was a buck a month. We got 5 cents per dozen eggs so the phone bill was 20 dozen eggs. I picked 12 dozen eggs a day so the phone was easily afordable.

I did some figueing a while back and--- if I had the 260 acres, the Farmall H, and the simple machines of the early 50's I could make a better living farming to day then the guy with the 70000 buck tractor and the 12000 a year fuel bill. etc. Technically--we went backwards just to have more thats costs more and the field work time is just as much today as it was in the 50's. The larger equipment produces more but the yearly income comparason shows the farmer isn't making a better living then back then. He merely owns more expensive stuff but that's about it. He's not better off. He's making more money but the truck costs more and has air conditioning.

So, today he's calling the neighbors on a cell phone and could "still" just as well have the crank phone. He's calls the farmer next door from the tractor and the neighbor is in his tractor and chating as they farm. So, they progressed backwards. The cell phone is 120 bucks a month. Senseless????

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Most likely. I remember not needing an area code back in the 70's. I think it was the 80's when we finally had to use the area code.

Heck. I remember our house being a rural route. We didn't have a actual house number. The mail came via a different process via name and a route number.

So we'd be like The Anderson's, rural route 45, city. No zip-code needed.

yeah, we moved to a farm when i was 5 and we were a rural route for the first year or two until we got a house number.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:es on this

Old Seer wrote:
es on this site---we've become victims of our inventions. Most of the stuff we have topday isn't really necessary. We're being sold on ideas jsut for the sake of economy. As  kid I remember the crank telephone---it worked. At 10 cents a cal and replace the drycell every few months the phone bill was a buck a month. We got 5 cents per dozen eggs so the phone bill was 20 dozen eggs. I picked 12 dozen eggs a day so the phone was easily afordable.

I did some figueing a while back and--- if I had the 260 acres, the Farmall H, and the simple machines of the early 50's I could make a better living farming to day then the guy with the 70000 buck tractor and the 12000 a year fuel bill. etc. Technically--we went backwards just to have more thats costs more and the field work time is just as much today as it was in the 50's. The larger equipment produces more but the yearly income comparason shows the farmer isn't making a better living then back then. He merely owns more expensive stuff but that's about it. He's not better off. He's making more money but the truck costs more and has air conditioning.

So, today he's calling the neighbors on a cell phone and could "still" just as well have the crank phone. He's calls the farmer next door from the tractor and the neighbor is in his tractor and chating as they farm. So, they progressed backwards. The cell phone is 120 bucks a month. Senseless???? 

Wow you are old.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes sir-but

with a very young mind.

And---- a year ago I got me a brand spankin new Hawley Spoatsta. Me and daughter are goiun for a ride later. She rides a 2009 Spoatsta. Ooooh boy, the memories really arrive from at Pendleton when I rode a 46 Hawley 74 out of Oceanside.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Then theres the

catch me if you can setup. A page loads and every few seconds it jumps arounf while loading more advertising. I get two sentences read or whilst looking at something and ----zzzzip it goes somewhere else and have to go looking for it. Dadburnit, it don't make no sense of no kind.