atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. That's amazingly cool.

Wow. That's amazingly cool. I wonder how it's going to turn out.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 It is a massive

It is a massive undertaking. 2-3 tons for a coral reef is a pretty big object. It would be interesting to see if they can restore the coral in areas where global warming has caused problems with growth.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Damed good thing we have

Damed good thing we have the GOP protecting the dirty fossil fuel industry. With them in charge we can takle climate change. BARF!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote: It

digitalbeachbum wrote:

It is a massive undertaking. 2-3 tons for a coral reef is a pretty big object. It would be interesting to see if they can restore the coral in areas where global warming has caused problems with growth.

That would be awesome. I'm curious to see just how much they can put into it. It's conceivable that they could have 3d printed coral that actually improves the environment for regular coral, allowing for stressed and dying reefs to become healthy again.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:digitalbeachbum

Vastet wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

That would be awesome. I'm curious to see just how much they can put into it. It's conceivable that they could have 3d printed coral that actually improves the environment for regular coral, allowing for stressed and dying reefs to become healthy again.

If you do a Google search for '3d printed coral reef' they show pictures of the reefs. There is one with a diver next to it to show scale. They are rather big and compacted. I thought they would be wider.

I wonder if they cable them down? or use spikes? The currents must be able to move the 2-3 ton reef easily. So some sort of device must be used to hold it in place.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Makes me wonder what anchors

Makes me wonder what anchors regular coral. I think I'll be doing some reading this morning.