Legal search and siezure

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Legal search and siezure

Any one see this shit about police being able to take your money or house or car just because they claim it was used for drugs?

In fact, i've seen articles where they don't even bother to file the report and instead keep the money.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've known about it for

I've known about it for quite awhile. It is one of the weapons government has used against the people in the war on drugs, probably since the inception of the war on drugs. A lot of people who believe stupid things think it is a deterrent, yet generally only people who are involved with drugs even learn about it. Mostly after being charged.

Instead it has simply exacerbated the justice system problem by making it that much harder to come out of jail into society without government assistance. It's as stupid as Israel demolishing homes of family members of attackers. It's the kind of solution someone who has no interest in fixing the problem comes up with.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yup

It was terribly misused by the police in southern states along interstate 40. I think since then Congress put the kaibash on it. They still  do it but they have to be careful. Police are no different then anyone else, they steal too.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Here in Florida they have

Here in Florida they have taken up to $1500 from people who were going to purchase a car, a boat and a dog. They have claimed with out any sort of evidence that the money was being used to purchase drugs.

I've heard of a parent losing their home because their kid was selling drugs from it. I've heard of cars being impounded because they were assumed to be used for transportation of drugs.

All bullshit. Disgusting. Corruption. They should be arrested and then sentenced to 20 years for what they did. They should not be immune to the consquences.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Congress is

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Here in Florida they have taken up to $1500 from people who were going to purchase a car, a boat and a dog. They have claimed with out any sort of evidence that the money was being used to purchase drugs.

I've heard of a parent losing their home because their kid was selling drugs from it. I've heard of cars being impounded because they were assumed to be used for transportation of drugs.

All bullshit. Disgusting. Corruption. They should be arrested and then sentenced to 20 years for what they did. They should not be immune to the consquences.

under the impression that police will do things legally. These kind of laws override the constitution and shows the ignorance of polititians. An entire city police force can be just as illegal as any (other)  criminal organization.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

All bullshit. Disgusting. Corruption. They should be arrested and then sentenced to 20 years for what they did. They should not be immune to the consequences.

under the impression that police will do things legally. These kind of laws override the constitution and shows the ignorance of politicians. An entire city police force can be just as illegal as any (other)  criminal organization.

More like arrogance than ignorance.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Politicians knew damn well

Politicians knew damn well what would happen when they gave police these powers, and so did the people who voted for them. They simply didn't think about long term consequences and didn't care what happened to drug users and suppliers.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
There's many enough

Vastet wrote:
Politicians knew damn well what would happen when they gave police these powers, and so did the people who voted for them. They simply didn't think about long term consequences and didn't care what happened to drug users and suppliers.

Crooked polititians to know that there are plenty enough crooked police. There's no excuse for these stupid laws.

The drug trade goes on because they let it, but merely want to keep it hand. I was chatting with a Semi Driver at a a rest stop about 5 miles from Alanreed TX on I-40 going through Texas. There's cetain trucks that are let through at the Mexican border that don't get inspected. According to him, the war on drugs was to get rid of competition for favored drugsters in the states.   I can understand then why the war on drugs didn't do a damn thing to curtail drugs. The banker take drug money as well as yours, as long as the bank has no proof the one is in drug dealing. But---they know.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't believe that. If the

I don't believe that. If the government was intentionally supporting some foreign dealers in such a way that an untrained observer could figure it out just by crossing the border a few times then they'd have been exposed by some news organisation or special interest group years ago.

If certain trucks aren't inspected at the border, then other considerations were in play already. Such as sealing the trailers at distribution in a way that can be verified at the border with a mere glance at the camera pointing at the truck. Many companies all over North America have sought out legal ways to reduce time spent crossing borders. There are even passenger transports that can cross borders without stopping these days, as customs already looked at everything at the bus/train/whatever station.

The war on drugs was never about enriching some dealers, it was about destroying all of them AND their customers. It's certainly true that the CIA took some interest in the trade, but they did so outside the US. They have no authority to manipulate customs at the border.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Understood---But

Vastet wrote:
I don't believe that. If the government was intentionally supporting some foreign dealers in such a way that an untrained observer could figure it out just by crossing the border a few times then they'd have been exposed by some news organisation or special interest group years ago. If certain trucks aren't inspected at the border, then other considerations were in play already. Such as sealing the trailers at distribution in a way that can be verified at the border with a mere glance at the camera pointing at the truck. Many companies all over North America have sought out legal ways to reduce time spent crossing borders. There are even passenger transports that can cross borders without stopping these days, as customs already looked at everything at the bus/train/whatever station. The war on drugs was never about enriching some dealers, it was about destroying all of them AND their customers. It's certainly true that the CIA took some interest in the trade, but they did so outside the US. They have no authority to manipulate customs at the border.

Couldn't a truck carrying drugs be OK'd also long before it got to the border. I have no idea what it takes to get the OK, but I assume Mexican police or government agents can be just as crooked as any police  somewhere else.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Mexican government has

The Mexican government has no control or influence over entry into the US. It is US citizens who control entry into the US. If such a conspiracy were in place, it would be Americans letting the trucks enter, not Mexicans.

There's no sense in it anyway. Most drugs made in the US or Canada are infinitely superior to those made in Mexico. What few drugs are better elsewhere get imported from origin countries like Columbia, not Mexico.

A couple decades ago Mexican weed was imported in large amounts, but now that multiple states have legalised weed the quality of weed available in the US is too high to make importing from Mexico a profitable venture. Noone wants dirt weed when they can get good weed for the same price or cheaper, except maybe on border states where weed is still very illegal and it's easier to get from Mexico than other states.

Mexican government and police are amongst the most corrupt on Earth, but that doesn't mean squat in the US. The US doesn't employ Mexico to secure the US border. That would be insanely stupid for myriad reasons.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:A couple

Vastet wrote:
A couple decades ago Mexican weed was imported in large amounts, but now that multiple states have legalised weed the quality of weed available in the US is too high to make importing from Mexico a profitable venture. Noone wants dirt weed when they can get good weed for the same price or cheaper, except maybe on border states where weed is still very illegal and it's easier to get from Mexico than other states.

All the more reason to legalize everything. Coke, weed, herion, etc. Legalize all of it, tax it, control it.  Sure you'll have small pockets of underground similar to the hills of Tennessee where you have moonshiners but look at how small those operations are? Insignificant.

Legalizing and controlling drugs, studying them, researching them, finding ways to manipulate them, then creating designated locations for the druggies to live and do the drugs, would eliminate these cartels down south. It would eliminate the terrorists from making opium. The capitalistic system would crush all those douches down south.

In fact, for the more serious drugs, the ones that people overdose on, I'd give it away for free. I'd tell all the druggies to do as much as they wanted.

And by the way, I would setup a system to pay for all abortions and teach people that if they want to lower their crime rate, then have an abortion if you don't want the kid.