Hydrosolator

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hydrosolator

Have you never heard of this gadget? It was installed on old time Ford cars on the exhaust system. It did have a purppose. It wasn't rally needed but they put them on anyway. The hint of the purpose is in the prefex "Hydro". I'm doing this because as a younster I started life as a novice auto mechanic and came a croos this at the time. In those days many Model A,s were still in use, mostly as a novelty, and to preserve a bit of history knowledge. The purpose of this gadget has been lost to time.  So, what is it and what's it for? Smiling

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should use google more

You should use google more often

An automobile component that can be found in virtually every car, foreign or domestic. Invented by Mortimer Ford(Henry Ford's illegitimate half brother or something), the hydroscillator's only known function is to allow vehicles to drive themselves in a semi-sentient manner. Although hydroscillator design varies, they are usually a fist-sized cylindrical device with two wires sticking out.

Featured on the ABC network expose' "When Cars Attack!" Mechanic: "Well see here's your problem; your blinker fluid lines burst and shorted out the hydroscillator. While I was checking, I saw that your muffler bearings and flux capacitor needed replacing."

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yup. I know that

digitalbeachbum wrote:

You should use google more often

An automobile component that can be found in virtually every car, foreign or domestic. Invented by Mortimer Ford(Henry Ford's illegitimate half brother or something), the hydroscillator's only known function is to allow vehicles to drive themselves in a semi-sentient manner. Although hydroscillator design varies, they are usually a fist-sized cylindrical device with two wires sticking out.

Featured on the ABC network expose' "When Cars Attack!" Mechanic: "Well see here's your problem; your blinker fluid lines burst and shorted out the hydroscillator. While I was checking, I saw that your muffler bearings and flux capacitor needed replacing."

But, that program program was made not knowing what an Hydrosolator was. I got on line in 1997, and when that program came on I looked it up at the tiem. I found 4 pages not online any more. Bear in mind i'm a old duffer the been around a while. However, I can only relate my experiance with this gadget, and it is interesting. On the pages I found---it was invented by a Henery Ford relative who came up with the idea to cash in on auto parts sales. On another page it had line drawings of where it was installed. A line drawing is , a line represents the exhaust pipe, then a break, then the muffler as a oval, and then the tail pipe. There were drawings of two different positions. One on the first bend in the manufold pipe and one just befopre the muffler. This was exclusivly a Ford part. Whne I was a kid bacxk in the 40s we all heard about this "lost to history" gadget. But, however, I don't expect to be believed as I can prove none of this, but it does make sense in it's discription---becasue-- theis part is still used today in other applications and forms.

One experience was when after USMC discharge I went to work for Art Reinerts City Service On St Germain in St Cloud MN. An older customer brought an older car (of that time) and wanted the exhaust system changed. And, he stated that the Hydrosolater (sometimes spelled "Hydrcillator&quotEye-wink was gone and wanted it replaced too. So, being there weren't parts stores as today one had to go the an auto dealer for parts. So, as a novice at the time I went to Tenvorde Ford for an exhaust system. The parts guy told me that they don't make and exhaust system for those autos any more. So, I asked him what a Hydrosolator is. He told me, but, I'm not going to say at this time and maybe someone can guess useing the hint "hydro". I'm presenting this as a fun thing not as actual fact. I'm leaving it to the beholder to make up their own. But, the explanation will make sense.

As a kid I've also had a couple of other experieces connected to this gadget. Understand now, the use of this part was long gone before that movie was made. I was wondering why no one from my bothood days didn't make it known what it was. I got into this becasue of the movies that supposed to show The US didn't go to the moon says the video is fake. Along with a search came up this hydrosolator thingy because some auto forum (from the search) put the movie in the catagory of the "hydrosolator conspiracy". So, any guesses.Don't feel stupid because this is so simple it makes sense.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hydrosolator

Is a condenstae trap placed in the exhaust system to keep water condensed in  the pipe from entering the muffler. They're still used today but aren't called hydrosolators.

Hydrosolator = water isolator.

The idea is still used in many applications from boilers to boats. When I asked the parts guy he said ---they trap water before it gets into the muffler to keep them from rusting out so soon, and placed just in front of the muffler. As I see it, they weren't really needed if the car is driven enough on ant trip to heat the exhaust to evaporate the moisture. In the example above ot's placed just before the catalytic convertor. This one looks more like an industrial use because they are keeping the water. The Hydrosolator had a small hole for the water to drip out.

As can be seen, this idea won't cause a car to go nuts. The term "hydrosolator" was long gone before the video was made.

https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive+exhaust+condensate+collector&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGuKqRiazPAhVB7CYKHfJ...