Star Trek replicators one step closer to reality

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Star Trek replicators one step closer to reality

3D Print Your Own Breakfast
A team of researchers at Columbia University has developed a 3D food printer capable of printing and cooking multiple ingredients at one time

By Emily Matchar
SMITHSONIAN.COM
AUGUST 9, 2016

Imagine coming down for breakfast and, instead of popping a piece of toast in the toaster and boiling an egg, you stick a cartridge in a printer. A minute or two later, you’ve got a freshly printed banana and flaxseed muffin.

Thanks to a new kind of 3D food printer, the printed breakfast is several steps closer to reality for the average consumer.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/3d-print-your-own-breakfast-180960048/

Still aways to go before we can print meat products and grow organs for transplant with ease, but we're getting there. Awesome.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah I saw this... cool

Yeah I saw this... cool shit for space travel

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:3D Print Your

Vastet wrote:
3D Print Your Own Breakfast A team of researchers at Columbia University has developed a 3D food printer capable of printing and cooking multiple ingredients at one time By Emily Matchar SMITHSONIAN.COM AUGUST 9, 2016 Imagine coming down for breakfast and, instead of popping a piece of toast in the toaster and boiling an egg, you stick a cartridge in a printer. A minute or two later, you’ve got a freshly printed banana and flaxseed muffin. Thanks to a new kind of 3D food printer, the printed breakfast is several steps closer to reality for the average consumer. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/3d-print-your-own-breakfast-180960048/ Still aways to go before we can print meat products and grow organs for transplant with ease, but we're getting there. Awesome.

I am tired of that show being treated like it was an actual lab. It is just a fucking show. Gene Roddenbury was a genious as a story teller, but he was not a scientist himself. His insperation came from prior si fi movies and TV shows. The famous teleportation was not anything more than a budget issue because a screen wipe was cheaper on production than constantly using the shuttle in scenes. He did NOT invent the cell phone nor flat screen TVs. If that show had never been created, technology in real labs was already working on making things smaller, which inventors always do to save on resources.

I have no problem with art inspiring to lead to real inventions, but I don't like it being treated like worship. It was still a show. Fans of the movie "Back To The Future" also like to claim it predicted things too. All one has to do to know what bullshit that is, is to look at all the patents in a patent office that fail and lead to nothing. 

Roddenberry simply drew off of prior science fiction, just like Christianity is a spin off of Hebrews which is a spin off of Caananite Polytheism. 

Teleportation mythology in si fi is much older than Star Trek. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation_in_fiction

http://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.com/2013/07/gene-roddenberrys-cinematic-influences.html

Labs are where inventions get made, not TV shows. And as popular Star Trek is, and as much as it promoted diversity, it still didn't predict anything. There were many prior competing similar ideas in prior si fi, and future si fi. You can only call it an "inspiration" not an oracle.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I am tired of

Brian37 wrote:
I am tired of that show being treated like it was an actual lab.

I don't give half a shit about your ignorant and insane opinions. Your next post in this topic will be on topic or moved to spam.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow, brian finds a way to

wow, brian finds a way to make this thread all about his shit. surprise, surprise...