Does the TSA suck shit?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does the TSA suck shit?

Every time I travel I actually fear going through the TSA security. I have a family which I often wonder if they will be harrased or seperated from me if my daughter complains about her dolly or makes a remark which the TSA finds threatening.

Most of the agents just want to get you through as quickly as possible with out incident but I have been around the check point area when trouble has broken out. I've seen how TSA agents blow shit out of proportion when taking a calm stance to a situation rather than escalating it is a better path. Too often the people involved with the situation aren't troubled individuals but they are confused or not paying attention.

Case in point is this cancer patient who is blind in one eye, no hearing in the same side, because of a tumor in her brain. She is abused and slammed to the ground when a TSA agent over reacts by grabbing the girl and trying to force her to a specific location, on her blind side. The girl freaks out and then the crap escalates because the ignorant TSA agents aren't propertly trained or they are not psychologically suited for duty.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/02/disabled-cancer-patient-tsa-lawsuit-memphis-airport

I believe the problem with the TSA is the same problem with the law enforcement across the nation. I believe that there are people unfit to handle the duty and stress of the job.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't you just love the

Don't you just love the smell of thousands of people taking off their shoes when you go through the checkpoint? Now wonder they can't find workers.

The checkpoints are to make you feel secure but not to actually do so. 

Has to be the grossest thing walking in barefeet where thousands of others have.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I stopped flying after all

I stopped flying after all the stupid changes made in the wake of 9/11. It's more dangerous and much more inconvenient than it has ever been in the history of flight (post successful flight of course). I might fly on a private plane, but I'll never fly a carrier again.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I stopped

Vastet wrote:
I stopped flying after all the stupid changes made in the wake of 9/11. It's more dangerous and much more inconvenient than it has ever been in the history of flight (post successful flight of course). I might fly on a private plane, but I'll never fly a carrier again.

I'd agree with you. I dreaded going on this recent vacation. I dislike airports and flying.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: Don't you just

EXC wrote:

Don't you just love the smell of thousands of people taking off their shoes when you go through the checkpoint? Now wonder they can't find workers.

The checkpoints are to make you feel secure but not to actually do so. 

Has to be the grossest thing walking in barefeet where thousands of others have.

I find the entire process worthless. TSA has been proved wrong several times. People have tested them and it serves no purpose.

I saw a report once about an Israeli who is trained in watching people and their actions. They look at their body. Their face. Their actions. They are more successful at finding a person who is up to no good than an x-ray scanner or a body search.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm fortunate to live near

I'm fortunate to live near a small airport, so I just fly to other small airports. Security is annoying and utterly pointless, but it isn't a big deal to get through. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  I'm

Beyond Saving wrote:

I'm fortunate to live near a small airport, so I just fly to other small airports. Security is annoying and utterly pointless, but it isn't a big deal to get through. 

Yep, Austin's airport is smaller and less annoying. Orlando was surprisingly easy but it could have been we arrived at 5:30am.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I stopped flying years ago

Vastet wrote:
I'm not afraid of flying---it's gravity that bothers me. Another thing thatt turns me away from flying is---after a crash they want to find out what happened so they can make flying "safer"<-------"safer". What the hell is that saying. ?

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 When government fucks up

When government fucks up big time like 9-11. Instead of being punished or reformed, they collect more taxes and fees.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Theres

EXC wrote:

When government fucks up big time like 9-11. Instead of being punished or reformed, they collect more taxes and fees.

Never been a tax government didn't like.

The "whistle Blower" program wasn't to improve anything or catch anyone except ----- catch the whisle blower. Didja notice that. Kinda slick huh. They're rewarded with a new job in a secluded part of the building with a pay raise for six weeks and then they laid off.  Or, they get grilled by a congressional commitee with trick questions to see if they're lying. The most important secret government has is---the government. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:Never been a

Old Seer wrote:
Never been a tax government didn't like.

i believe the word you're looking for is "gumament."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Here's some

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That article could very

That article could very easily be applied to the entirety of the security industry. Security officers in all positions get treated like shit by everyone (including cops), get paid squat, and have more inherent responsibility if something goes wrong than anyone else; including whoever was responsible for something going wrong. They get neither sufficient training nor sufficient equipment, and are expected to handle all incidents with perfection.

It's been that way since the 90's at least. Who knows how long ago it began.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:That article

Vastet wrote:
That article could very easily be applied to the entirety of the security industry. Security officers in all positions get treated like shit by everyone (including cops), get paid squat, and have more inherent responsibility if something goes wrong than anyone else; including whoever was responsible for something going wrong. They get neither sufficient training nor sufficient equipment, and are expected to handle all incidents with perfection. It's been that way since the 90's at least. Who knows how long ago it began.

I have a friend who was in security for twenty years. He was constantly complaining about the same thing. He only kept the job because it was grave yard and it was the only job where he could study and not be bothered for a few hours.

He told me a story once that has always interested me. He was working down in Orlando at a hotel doing security when a call came in that the pool area had guests being drunk and loud. He went down to check it out but the people drunk gave him a difficult time because he was obese. And they threatened him physically.

Just when he was going to walk away this guy came up who was familiar looking but not instantly recognized, who started to verbally correct the drunks. He was quick witted and very intelligent. He stuck up for my friend and really put the drunks in their place.

It turned out to be the lead singer for The Talking Heads, David Byrne.

My friend said he was really cool. An amazing person to talk to for the brief time they talked.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's pretty cool. It can

That's pretty cool. It can be difficult doing the job on your own, which is usually how it works. In all the years I did security it was rare, but having bystander support can make a huge difference. Security officers are generally disrespected, which makes it easier for people to disrespect them. Unlike with police, it often requires someone acknowledging your authority before anyone acknowledges your authority. Especially with rowdy individuals. Just one person standing up can turn a dangerous situation into a mediocre verbal confrontation.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 Yep. I find that Hollywood

Yep. I find that Hollywood makes fun of them a bunch and makes them seem inept. I think it makes it easier to give them a difficult time.