I just lernt

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I just lernt

from PBS that our kids can't learn from books anymore. It seems teaching kids from books is back to the cave man era. I really feel sorry about such dire circumstances plauging our children, How could this have happened, that, there are kids that still have to read books and teachers have to write out home work insteadd of sending it to the students desk via internet. Reading a book from an Ipad gives the kid a greater punch in the brain then merely reading a book. 

When I was a kid, the teacher sat in front of the class by at their desk and "told" us what our homewrok was to be. I clearly remember when goofing off how the history book when colliding with my skull and the momentum (we learned about moe mentum in fizziks class)( I think Moe played full back--not sure anymore) caused all the words in the book to slide right into the brain---by the end of the day we knew what the lesson was all about. The "board of education" hung on the wall behind the teachers desk.

We read books until we were red in the face---and lernt a bunch. If we didn't learn ---no weekly reader for us cats daddy-o and no library privlages where we could read magazines and news papers. We had to learn some pretty smooth moves to a void certain circumstances.

We didn't have to have any dad flangled computors like today to be incompetent.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:from PBS that

Old Seer wrote:

from PBS that our kids can't learn from books anymore. It seems teaching kids from books is back to the cave man era. I really feel sorry about such dire circumstances plauging our children, How could this have happened, that, there are kids that still have to read books and teachers have to write out home work insteadd of sending it to the students desk via internet. Reading a book from an Ipad gives the kid a greater punch in the brain then merely reading a book. 

When I was a kid, the teacher sat in front of the class by at their desk and "told" us what our homewrok was to be. I clearly remember when goofing off how the history book when colliding with my skull and the momentum (we learned about moe mentum in fizziks class)( I think Moe played full back--not sure anymore) caused all the words in the book to slide right into the brain---by the end of the day we knew what the lesson was all about. The "board of education" hung on the wall behind the teachers desk.

We read books until we were red in the face---and lernt a bunch. If we didn't learn ---no weekly reader for us cats daddy-o and no library privlages where we could read magazines and news papers. We had to learn some pretty smooth moves to a void certain circumstances.

No, we most certainly can learn from books. It is just that corporate media loves selliing crap like Jerry Springer, Dumb Dynasty, WWE Trump reality show bullshit. And a GOP party that has fucked over investment in education for the  past 30 years.

The same thing was said about the first TVs replacing newspapers. It is how technology is used, not that it is used at all. The same technology that FB and twitter uses can be used to educate and promote book reading. It is still up to society to want to do that.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
you are the democratic

you are the democratic version of those nuts who comment on every news story posted online, somehow making it all about obama.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure

Brian37 wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

No, we most certainly can learn from books. It is just that corporate media loves selliing crap like Jerry Springer, Dumb Dynasty, WWE Trump reality show bullshit. And a GOP party that has fucked over investment in education for the  past 30 years.

The same thing was said about the first TVs replacing newspapers. It is how technology is used, not that it is used at all. The same technology that FB and twitter uses can be used to educate and promote book reading. It is still up to society to want to do that.

but I think you missed the point.

Item 1- I teach  a grand kid a particualt thing.

2- The same grand kid reads it in a book and learns

3- The same grand kid reads it on a computor and learns.

Which is better. ???? The kid was taught the same.

In the PBS segment the books were behind curtains and no longer used.

At the same time part of the county (in Missisippi) had high speed internet and another didn't. ---Q--what makes anyone think that learning froma computor is better then learning form a book--which is right over there on a shelf. Why is it figured that the low speed internet is a disparage over the high speed internet---when they still have the books. Have we become a victim of invenbtions. ????

In school I read about my childhood heros--Kit Carson, Jim Bridger, Davey Crockett, Cochise, Daniel Boone--which turns out that non of them were the  heros that the books cracked them up to be. The only guy worth knowing anything about was Cochise. The others were nothing but a bunch braggola and largely untrue.

But --the question remains---Could I read these books better on line then holding a book in hand. The use of computors and the reliance on them is turning us into nutty two fruits. We're relying on something that if the lights go out ----won't work. It seems we've been caught up in some inventer's mental desease.

They want to put Wi Fi in the school buses--????? what the hell. Does that mean that the 1/2 hour it takes to get a kid home form school the poor soul can't get his face to look out the bus the see a landscape. Whnat I mean is---computors aren't going to make the kids any smarter then with books. Facination with electronic has turned into some manner of mainia. I'm all for this internet dewal but comon---I don't think having low speed internet is particularly dispairaging. I don't see any point in turning into a nutty fruit cakes over it. The kids are doing fine--the teachers went over the side.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian always misses the

Brian always misses the point.

I say the internet has increased reading, not the opposite.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Agree.

I've learned quite a bit more then without it.