atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
agree.

Vastet wrote:
Ultimately the supreme court doesn't decide squat. It only has the power to reverse laws that are unconstitutional. The definition of person isn't in the constitution, and therefore it is beyond the scope of the court system. Only the government can choose how to define person, through law.

But if the court is going to use the term-person, they would have to use in terms of law, would they not. If there is no law to determine what person is then the courts decision is meaningless. So far all we have is "legal fiction". The reason I want to know all this corporate stuff is--I would like to get my family into a business. Jobs around here are scarce and low paying. I have grand kids that need work and not much here. I'm going to Blacks law dictionary to see what it says.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:I went to

Old Seer wrote:

I went to wikipedea and had a look. I see terrible hypocacy in  the whole idea of "corporation". This is no intent to critisize anyone here, but if you go to wikipedia you'll encounter the term "legal fiction".  Now hold on here for a minute,. if that term is correct then we have absolutly nothing. If the court is operating (providing the "legal fiction " application is true), then how can a fiction be a fact. I'm into this because as my brainski automatically adds things together---something doesn't add up.

On one hand we have Personhood, which divides into two directions. 1- a corporation is a person. 2- a corporation is a "persons'. There's the problem, hypocacy. It can'rt be both unless it's a fiction--which typically menas it can be anything within what regulates it---which means any law made in it's regard can mean anything someone wants it to. It would have to be law that determines what is or isn't, and tha also means that law can be anything it needs to be to make "corporation" work. Which in turn means that a jimmy rigged law will lead to more hypocacy.

The supreme court has to define "what" a person is. If it doesn't ---we have nothing. Making laws will not settle the matter. Now--- as I went over this --it all goes way back to the early 1700s---why--because it's hypocritcal, and hypocacy can only be settled by fact, which in turn means that it wasn't based on fact but mere assumptions way back then. If it wern't hypocitical it would have been settled back in the early 1700s. As far as I know--there is no legal discription of "person" other then  it's an individual. That leaves alot of open territory, because if there were a legal interpretaion of "person" and it were true (not hypocritical) It would ruin the entire systems.

Persons and person cannot be the same entity. It looks as--the total body of persons that make up a corporation is a "person". That can't be--it's the same as one body having multiple brains. I'm not implying that corporation are bad or criminal minded etc. Legal fiction merely opens the way for more controversy as fact will always beat fiction---so the process will go on until---oh----lets say--the years 2525---by that time we won't be under the circumstance. Fiction cannot solve a problem and will produce any oither number of multiple fictions from any angle one wants to see something/anything.

Very simple. If the court has no, or gives no, guidance as to what a person is, then a tree can be a person---well hell--it's physical isn't it. And, if the court does--they have to be absolutly correct, no assumption and no mistake.

A legal fiction is a falsehood that is accepted by the court to be a fact. Everyone knows that a corporation isn't an actual physical person, living, breathing, with parents and genetics. But, for purposes of interpreting laws, it treats the corporation like it is a single person, operating in a single unified direction, even though within the corporation there might be significant infighting. Other legal fictions include adoptive parents, who while not actually the biological parents, the legal fiction is created that they are and a birth certificate is created and there is absolutely no legal difference between adoptive parent and biological parents. Another legal fiction is that whenever the law says "he", the legal fiction is created that women are "he". 

The definition of person is laid out in the very first lines of the US code. 

Quote:

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise—

words importing the singular include and apply to several persons, parties, or things;

words importing the plural include the singular;

words importing the masculine gender include the feminine as well;

words used in the present tense include the future as well as the present;

the words “insane” and “insane person” shall include every idiot, insane person, and person non compos mentis;

the words “person” and “whoever” include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals;

“officer” includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office;

“signature” or “subscription” includes a mark when the person making the same intended it as such;

“oath” includes affirmation, and “sworn” includes affirmed;

“writing” includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise.

This whole hysterical debate is utterly pointless. The courts are simply using common sense to apply all laws of the US to everyone. The idea that it somehow is granting some mysterious "special rights" or that it somehow shields people from being prosecuted is simply a lie being spread by those who don't have a fucking clue.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:No it wasn't.

Vastet wrote:
No it wasn't. Corporate personhood made him immune from prosecution. The crown can't charge him.

Why didn't corporate personhood protect the others who were charged? Why didn't it make Jarrod Menz immune? http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2015/07/31/the-company-and-corporate-president-indicted-for-murder/#406688e86438 Hint: it is because your assumption is false and unfounded. Corporate personhood does not grant immunity to anyone from criminal or civil prosecution. And you can't find a single attorney who would tell you otherwise. 

Quote:
 Pennies on the dollar. I bet his salary more than covered it. Even if not, he lost nothing compared to the people of Lac Megantic. He still walks free and will repeat the exact same scenario again and again.

I'd bet not, but that is irrelevant. He could have been charged, for whatever reason the prosecutor opted not to. Maybe that was a terrible and unjust decision, but it has nothing to do with corporate personhood. 

Quote:
No. Because of corporate personhood, all corporate decisions are the responsibility of the corporation, except in very few circumstances like fraud. Noone in the company is liable, only the company itself. Remove personhood and that instantly changes.

You are wrong again. BECAUSE of corporate personhood, a President or CEO can be sued for harming it through fraud or negligence. 

www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article35577897.html 

www.sltrib.com/news/2194199-155/provo-multilevel-company-shuts-down-sues

billingsgazette.com/business/bankruptcy-trustee-sues-vann-s-former-ceo-cfo/article_562543a4-881c-5600-970b-43901309a0a5.html

www.law360.com/articles/470665/bankrupt-legal-service-trustee-demands-millions-from-ceo

Where is that protection from corporate personhood?

Quote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
So if a pizza delivery driver drives drunk without the knowledge of managment, everyone from the store manager to the corporate executives are liable?
Damn straight they are. If one of your wait staff comes in drunk, you can't tell?

The President of the company isn't sitting in every location every day. He probably has never even met the driver. You probably have a good case that the store manager should notice, or whoever the store manager appointed to run the shift should have noticed. Above that, it is impossible to suggest any kind of personal liability. 

Quote:
Sure. I'd keep my eye on him though. If I saw he was doing something illegal I'd report it to the authorities. Which would keep my ass out of jail.

If you are sitting over your employees every second they work, why the hell aren't you just doing the job yourself? And what do you do when you have more than one employee and you can't be in two places to oversee them? It is completely impractical to expect that any one person could be completely aware of everything happening within their company at every given moment. It takes half a second to break a law, even prison guards are incapable of preventing crime from happening under their noses. 

Quote:
No it isn't. It's the corporations'. If they want their investment back then they have to sell it. They don't own any corporate assets.

When a corporation loses assets, their inventment becomes less valuable to anyone they might sell to. Additionally, if the corporation is dissolved and the assets themselves are sold, the owners of the corporation get any funds in excess of any debt split up among them. 

Quote:
Wrong. As I said earlier, corporate personhood makes him immune.

Evidence for this naked assertion?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Exactly

Beyond Saving wrote:

Exactly which "privilege" are you talking about? What privilege does a corporation have that you don't?

Try sueing AT&T and Google as I have tried. One for false credit report, the other for stealing from my bank account. it is impossible. I called the police, if a black person in the hood had done this, they'd be arrested. Because it is rich white executives with layers of, they laugh at me. The best I can hope for is class action lawsuit.

Of course the rich are privledged, manipulation of the legal system with money. So by having corporate personhood, you make wealthy corporations super privledged.

Beyond Saving wrote:

All of which is against the law. A corporation can't simply move its money overseas to exempt it from bankruptcy.

It is pretty easy to hide assests, then declare corporate bankruptcy. 

Beyond Saving wrote:

The idea that somehow Uber (or any other taxi company) would be better off declaring bankruptcy rather than settle a lawsuit is absurd.

But thanks to corporate privledge, they've got it set up now that illegal aliens can get a drivers license and work for shit, if the illegal causes and accident, he can just work somewhere else and hide since they live in the shadows as slave labor. The pizza owner and Uber don't have to worry about being sued for using illegal labor and not paying minimum wage.

Beyond Saving wrote:

Even if it somehow made sense in some kind of ridiculous situation, moving money for the purposes of hiding it from bankruptcy courts is a felony. Go ask your CPA how you would go about doing such a thing if you want to get a good laugh. 

If you ask your CPA if you can hire illegal aliens for your business he'd say no(legally required). But at least 10% of the US work force is illegals. So why shouldn't I think the rich and corporations believe they can do whatever they please?

This is why Trump and Sanders are popular. People are fed up even if they don't fully understand what is going on.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Beyond Saving

EXC wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Exactly which "privilege" are you talking about? What privilege does a corporation have that you don't?

Try sueing AT&T and Google as I have tried. One for false credit report, the other for stealing from my bank account. it is impossible. I called the police, if a black person in the hood had done this, they'd be arrested. Because it is rich white executives with layers of, they laugh at me. The best I can hope for is class action lawsuit.

Of course the rich are privledged, manipulation of the legal system with money. So by having corporate personhood, you make wealthy corporations super privledged.

I haven't had cause to sue AT&T or Google, but thousands of people have and have been successful- usually through settlement. That your lawsuit has failed is evidence that your lawsuit either didn't have cause or your lawyer sucked than anything else. I have had a lawsuit against those tiny companies called Walmart and Chase. And because of my company, I am routinely sued by large corporations. I fully anticipate CVS will sue my company this year. That is why every corporation has in house attorneys. If they were so immune, why would they waste that much money?

Quote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

All of which is against the law. A corporation can't simply move its money overseas to exempt it from bankruptcy.

It is pretty easy to hide assests, then declare corporate bankruptcy. 

Everything is easy when you are just spouting off on an internet forum. People who think such things are easy often end up in jail. 

Quote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

The idea that somehow Uber (or any other taxi company) would be better off declaring bankruptcy rather than settle a lawsuit is absurd.

But thanks to corporate privledge, they've got it set up now that illegal aliens can get a drivers license and work for shit, if the illegal causes and accident, he can just work somewhere else and hide since they live in the shadows as slave labor. The pizza owner and Uber don't have to worry about being sued for using illegal labor and not paying minimum wage.

Uber has been facing lawsuits due to legal citizen drivers, which they have fought aggressively with varying results. Again, you have vague assertions with zero evidence. Probably why your lawsuits were dismissed. 

Quote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Even if it somehow made sense in some kind of ridiculous situation, moving money for the purposes of hiding it from bankruptcy courts is a felony. Go ask your CPA how you would go about doing such a thing if you want to get a good laugh. 

If you ask your CPA if you can hire illegal aliens for your business he'd say no(legally required). But at least 10% of the US work force is illegals.

What does that have to do with moving money to avoid bankruptcy? And what does people hiring illegals have to do with corporate personhood? Many individuals hire illegals too. It is fairly low risk from the employers side and the existence of corporate personhood is irrelevant to immigration law. 

Quote:

So why shouldn't I think the rich and corporations believe they can do whatever they please?

Because of the overwhelming evidence, based on the millions of lawsuits filed in the US every single year.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Why

Beyond Saving wrote:
Why didn't corporate personhood protect the others who were charged?

Because there was evidence that they personally had direct responsibility. Corporate personhood shields the board and ceo from their indirect actions. If the ceo was the one who hadn't properly set the brakes then it would be a different story. But he didn't. He just created the environment where it was inevitable a disaster would happen. Which would have him facing charges if not for corporate personhood.

Beyond Saving wrote:
And you can't find a single attorney who would tell you otherwise. 

Because the law was built on corporate personhood. Take it away and institute the responsibility as I previously mentioned and you would be the one who couldn't find an attorney who would agree with you.

Beyond Saving wrote:
He could have been charged, for whatever reason the prosecutor opted not to.

No, he couldn't. It was a company decision, because of corporate personhood. Only the company can be charged.

Beyond Saving wrote:
You are wrong again. BECAUSE of corporate personhood, a President or CEO can be sued for harming it through fraud or negligence.

I'm not wrong. The negligence wasn't directly against the company. You have this fucked up idea that ignoring a situation that could harm the companies bottom line is somehow comparable to creating a situation that leads to a disaster. They aren't the same thing at all. From a company standpoint he was doing great. He cut losses and grew profits. The company has no justification to go after him. The company couldn't have paid as much as they did if not for him.

Beyond Saving wrote:
The President of the company isn't sitting in every location every day. He probably has never even met the driver.

Which is why he hires people to look after things for him. If those people are willfully ignoring potential threats to the company or the population then he is responsible for not making sure they do their jobs within the law. Part of being a manager is making sure your employees aren't driving intoxicated. If the manager isn't doing that then obviously you aren't doing your job, which is to make sure they do theirs.

Beyond Saving wrote:
If you are sitting over your employees every second they work, why the hell aren't you just doing the job yourself?

I don't have to watch them every second. I just have to check on them occasionally.

Beyond Saving wrote:
And what do you do when you have more than one employee and you can't be in two places to oversee them?

I don't have to be in two places simultaneously.

Beyond Saving wrote:
It is completely impractical to expect that any one person could be completely aware of everything happening within their company at every given moment.

No it isn't. If you can't do it then you hired the wrong people as managers, and you failed to see as much because you aren't ensuring they do their job.

Beyond Saving wrote:
It takes half a second to break a law, even prison guards are incapable of preventing crime from happening under their noses. 

It takes half a second to see someone is breaking a law. It isn't a valid argument. The majority of laws that could be broken have nothing to do with the company anyway. Someone driving to work drunk has no bearing on the company. Someone killing someone has no bearing on the company.

Prison guards know more that is going on than you think. They have significant motivation to not bother stopping every elicit activity they could. Their own safety is more important than stopping every single possible offence.
Not that its comparable. There is a far higher prisoner to guard ratio than there is employee to manager ratio.

Beyond Saving wrote:
When a corporation loses assets, their inventment becomes less valuable to anyone they might sell to. Additionally, if the corporation is dissolved and the assets themselves are sold, the owners of the corporation get any funds in excess of any debt split up among them. 

But until then they have nothing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Im not trying to debate.

I'm trying to learn somethings. OK--I'd like to start a family transport corporation. The owners of course would be family members. I want to know what I can yell (yeah right-yell at them--no -tell) them or advise. And if I do I'd like to know what I'm talking about. I did get off on a rant tangent, but legal fiction bothers me. I understand the concept. Not that this amounts to to much--I think a corporation should be the "people/persons" directly, but as a corporation they all have to be sued collectivly for misbehaviour or law breaking, and no need for a fiction. There's no doubt that their personal assets should not be included because those assets aren't property or part of the corporate persons/collective as a whole.

What I've lernt is, if we get sued and have to pay we can sell a truck and pay'em. But, they can't take my personal pet dually and RV trailer. Now I have to figure out how to hide all the assets. Smiling

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Beyond Saving

Vastet wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:
Why didn't corporate personhood protect the others who were charged?
Because there was evidence that they personally had direct responsibility. Corporate personhood shields the board and ceo from their indirect actions. If the ceo was the one who hadn't properly set the brakes then it would be a different story. But he didn't. He just created the environment where it was inevitable a disaster would happen. Which would have him facing charges if not for corporate personhood.

Then why is Menz facing murder charges? He clearly was not directly responsible, he wasn't even in the same state and there is no suggestion that anyone called him and asked for his input about the situation. At most, he is responsible for creating an environment where it was inevitable that a death would happen. 

Beyond Saving wrote:

Corporate personhood does not grant immunity to anyone from criminal or civil prosecution. And you can't find a single attorney who would tell you otherwise.

Vastet wrote:

Because the law was built on corporate personhood. Take it away and institute the responsibility as I previously mentioned and you would be the one who couldn't find an attorney who would agree with you.  

Exactly, so attorneys agree with me that corporate personhood doesn't shield executives from liability under current law. Since that is what you want, and it already exists, I think I'll just declare victory right here. I win. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old Seer wrote:What I've

Old Seer wrote:

What I've lernt is, if we get sued and have to pay we can sell a truck and pay'em. But, they can't take my personal pet dually and RV trailer. Now I have to figure out how to hide all the assets. Smiling

Yes, that would be accurate. As I noted before, there are exceptions where you could be personally liable, but if you conduct your business honestly and legally, in general your personal assets will be protected except whatever cash or assets you use as collateral. Consulting a CPA in the state you incorporate just to make sure your financial structure and practices meets state standards is well worth the money. 

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
USDOT requires

Beyond Saving wrote:

Old Seer wrote:

Yes, that would be accurate. As I noted before, there are exceptions where you could be personally liable, but if you conduct your business honestly and legally, in general your personal assets will be protected except whatever cash or assets you use as collateral. Consulting a CPA in the state you incorporate just to make sure your financial structure and practices meets state standards is well worth the money. 

1 million in liability anyway. But that's just roadway situations. It would be wise to cover all other via business insurance.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Back to Trump.

I don't know what we have here. He seems quite a bit radical. Presidential runners make it sound like they can be a dictator saying they're goin to do this, that, and the other thing./ They can't do much without congress--unless they go the executive order rouite. But congress can override whatever. Hillery is the one that bothers me.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Then why

Beyond Saving wrote:
Then why is Menz facing murder charges?

You can't be serious. A murder charge requires very specific circumstances, including intent. Incompetence, greed, and stupidity don't qualify.

Beyond Saving wrote:
At most, he is responsible for creating an environment where it was inevitable that a death would happen. 

Involuntary manslaughter.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Exactly, so attorneys agree with me that corporate personhood doesn't shield executives from liability under current law.

Ridiculous. No attorney would agree to that, because it isn't true. The laws were created around corporate personhood, and as a result there isn't any way to hold executives to account because corporate personhood requires you to go after the corporation instead of the individuals who made the decisions. The whole fucking system is built on protecting rich assholes who do whatever they want. You can't find an attorney who would honestly disagree.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Having read the article

It looks as though the normal cycle of things are in effect. Civilizations all travel the same road to their own ending. But, long before ending they run into problems that cannot be solved by the "official" means, that is, the normal checks and balances. The Romans eventually did the same thing, hand the ball off to one guy to fix everthing. It looks to me that (taking authoritianism into account) that we may have entered that part of the cycle.

I don't see Trump becoming a dictator/emperor at this time, (but maybe) but the process may be set in place, at least for another down the line. Every president chips off a bit more power then the last one until finally the last ones become dictators, emperors and the like. At least at this time I see the process in effect. Then again, maybe not a dictator, emperor or the likes becasue there's to many hidden people behind the workd. Any dictator would very likely be a puppet of those behind the curtains.

What is going on at this time has been fully expected by us Old Seers. There's nothing new under the sun. Smiling

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
so, what do we have here.

This Trump guy seems to be doing fairly well.

1--any predictions ????-

2--I noticed online there are religious types that God is getting The Trump guy elected. They say it's the end times and they're relating Trump to the Trumpets in the book of revelation, or one of them. It got me wondering who the other trumpets might be, but they don't explain that. Maybe we'll have 6 Trumps in a row for presidents.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
so, what do we have here.

This Trump guy seems to be doing fairly well.

1--any predictions ????-

2--I noticed online there are religious types that God is getting The Trump guy elected. They say it's the end times and they're relating Trump to the Trumpets in the book of revelation, or one of them. It got me wondering who the other trumpets might be, but they don't explain that. Maybe we'll have 6 Trumps in a row for presidents.I refuse to get involved in this idiocy.