Atheist's killers convicted in Bagladesh court.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist's killers convicted in Bagladesh court.

While I am no fan of the death penalty it is good to see a growing backlash against religiously justified violence. http://www.wsj.com/articles/bangladeshi-court-convicts-two-men-for-murder-of-atheist-blogger-1451577416

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sure there is some hint

I'm sure there is some hint of dislike towards the Muslims with Hindus. I'm pretty sure I read else where that they often have skirmishes and I also remember during Ghandi's era the Muslims and Hindus fought often. It wouldn't matter, I'm assuming, who the Muslims killed.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
most of that animosity

most of that animosity popped up in the latter 19th century. at the grassroots level, hindus and muslims were often indistinguishable. they worshipped at each other's shrines, consulted each other's holy men, celebrated each other's holidays. this is still the case even today, but unfortunately the differences are emphasized more and more as time goes by, especially by politicians on both sides.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:most of that

iwbiek wrote:
most of that animosity popped up in the latter 19th century. at the grassroots level, hindus and muslims were often indistinguishable. they worshipped at each other's shrines, consulted each other's holy men, celebrated each other's holidays. this is still the case even today, but unfortunately the differences are emphasized more and more as time goes by, especially by politicians on both sides.

Where did the Muslims come from? Is it one of the cases where earlier travelers came from the west and settled in India for business reasons?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, it began that way in

yeah, it began that way in much of the western part of the subcontinent. in addition, the arab umayyads conquered much of what is now pakistan, and even the westernmost bits of modern india, in the seventh and eighth centuries. the mughals, who were the biggest dogs in terms of muslim rulers in india (by which i mean also pakistan and bangladesh), were ethnically persian, though they weren't shi'as like their kindred in iran. the second largest branch of shi'ism, the seveners or ismailis, have a small but wealthy and powerful presence in india under the leadership of the so-called aga khan. they can trace their roots to egypt, if i'm not mistaken. incidentally, the druze, most of whom are in israel, trace their roots to egyptian ismailism as well.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:yeah, it began

iwbiek wrote:
yeah, it began that way in much of the western part of the subcontinent. in addition, the arab umayyads conquered much of what is now pakistan, and even the westernmost bits of modern india, in the seventh and eighth centuries. the mughals, who were the biggest dogs in terms of muslim rulers in india (by which i mean also pakistan and bangladesh), were ethnically persian, though they weren't shi'as like their kindred in iran. the second largest branch of shi'ism, the seveners or ismailis, have a small but wealthy and powerful presence in india under the leadership of the so-called aga khan. they can trace their roots to egypt, if i'm not mistaken. incidentally, the druze, most of whom are in israel, trace their roots to egyptian ismailism as well.

I've had several dreams where I was travelling in the region and I stumbled on to the one they call Mohamed. We sat and talked for a while and when he told me of his experiences with speaking to an angel I took out my disintegration pistol and vaporized him.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
goddammit...what did i say?

goddammit...what did i say?

Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.