Acharyra S died Christmas Day from cancer.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Acharyra S died Christmas Day from cancer.

I could only find a memorial FB page here. https://www.facebook.com/events/960233097363265/ And her wiki article was updated to denote her day of death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acharya_S I had the pleasure of her tweeting me links about the history of Buddhism and the superstitions in it. She had lots of critics, but she also had lots of supporters.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is a link to the

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Another person who focuses

Another person who focuses on the wrong arguement of all the historical religious figures.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Another person who focuses on the wrong arguement of all the historical religious figures.

She had her critics, so exactly what should she have been focused on. She wrote about both polythesim and monotheism, she showed lots of overlap between them too, according to her followers.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i find it interesting that

i find it interesting that someone expressly anti-religion would take a sanskrit epithet for an enlightened (religious) teacher as part of her pseudonym. there's absolutely no question that religious myths influence and merge with each other. of course there are elements of horus, dionysus, and orpheus in the christ myth. but the idea that it was all a planned conspiracy is as credible as all the bullshit about the illuminati.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i find it

iwbiek wrote:
i find it interesting that someone expressly anti-religion would take a sanskrit epithet for an enlightened (religious) teacher as part of her pseudonym. there's absolutely no question that religious myths influence and merge with each other. of course there are elements of horus, dionysus, and orpheus in the christ myth. but the idea that it was all a planned conspiracy is as credible as all the bullshit about the illuminati.

That is because you are a fucking moron who confuses anti-bad logic with bigotry. FUCK YOU.

She is the one that pointed out to me aboout the origins of the mythology of Buddism. 

I am not anti human rights, I am anti religion in the same way I am an anti-unicornist. The same way I woulld respond if someone claimed the Yankees won the Superbowl. They could claim it all they want, and  can respond "bullshit". Oh and if you listen to her memorial podcast, the guest pointed out her mistakes too, unlike you, they didn't throw hissy fits like you have. 

No it was not a conspiracy that the claims of Queen May was told by the divine that she would give a gift, the first Buddha to the world and his wistom would help the world. The point being moron, is humans gap fill, regardless of real people involved, the first Buddha was not an orical or profit or had his wistom handed to him through royalty. No religion owns our evolution. If we discover something, or say something kind, those abilities are a result of our evolution, not fucking old clubs, superstitions or religions.

Humans in all of polythiesm and monotheism, made up shit because they didn't know any better. Religion is man made, superflous and a sugar pill. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i find it

iwbiek wrote:

That is because you are a fucking moron who confuses anti-bad logic with bigotry. FUCK YOU.

She is the one that pointed out to me aboout the origins of the mythology of Buddism. But actually it was long before, which she only further confirmed with the tweets she sent me. I went to a Buddhist exhibit in the early to Mid 90s at the Smithsonian about the Angkor dynasty and it's 1,000 years or so. At the begining of the dynasty, the sanstone statues were strictly Buddhists. At some point Hindus mixed in with them, and by the end of the Dynasty the statues took on Hindu features as well. THAT, not her, although she added more data, was the point I said to myself all religions are made up bullshit.. 

I am not anti human rights, I am anti religion in the same way I am an anti-unicornist. The same way I woulld respond if someone claimed the Yankees won the Superbowl. They could claim it all they want, and  can respond "bullshit". Oh and if you listen to her memorial podcast, the guest pointed out her mistakes too, unlike you, they didn't throw hissy fits like you have. 

No it was not a conspiracy that the claims of Queen Maya was told by the divine that she would give a gift, the first Buddha to the world and his wistom would help the world. The point being moron, is humans gap fill, regardless of real people involved, the first Buddha was not an orical or profit or had his wistom handed to him through royalty. No religion owns our evolution. If we discover something, or say something kind, those abilities are a result of our evolution, not fucking old clubs, superstitions or religions.

Humans in all of polythiesm and monotheism, made up shit because they didn't know any better. Religion is man made, superflous and a sugar pill, but more often than not it divides humans and retards progress. Now I defy you to show me ANYWHERE in this post where I call for the forced end of religion. Being blunt to get others to think is not the same as using physical force

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
lulz

lulz

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:lulzTwo things

iwbiek wrote:
lulz

Two things you can call me all you want but I will say fuck you every time.

1."Bigot" NO AND FUCK YOU.

2. "Anti-religion"(which you want to paint as "anti human rights" ) . NO AND FUCK YOU AGAIN!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
more lulz

more lulz

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Ok but since I never admit

Ok but since I never admit my mistakes, I wont post this.

I got my history backwords. It started Hindu and Buddhists mixed in with them.

Point being they did mix and take on each other's motifs and ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor_Wat

Oh and even before that mix, even Buddhist had gods.

Looky here.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpture_in_South_Asia#/media/File:PharroAndArdoxsho.jpg

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh and lets take  look at

Oh and lets take  look at this article. 

http://vietnamnews.vn/sunday/features/268310/ancient-buddhist-hindu-statues-on-show.html

Quote from under the picture of a statue..... Pictured in the article

"Meditative: One of the statues in Nguyen Anh Tuan's biggest and most original collection focussing on Buddhist and Hindu deities. — VNS Photos Courtesy of Do Quang Tuan Hoang"

Buddhists AND Hindu deities.

Not, Buddhists and separate Hindu deities.

But that BOTH believed in super natural beings.

Which takes me back to his birth, sorry but Buddha may have either been honestly deluded by his family or he was an outright con, just like if one wants to claim Jesus existed, he too wouldn't have been a gift to the world, he too would have only been a mere man whom got convinced he was special, or conned others into thinking he was special. Funny how both avoid standard birth. No, not because there is a connection, but purity motifs were common in all of antiquity, and you trace all the begats in the alleged Jesus character, even he gets connected to royalty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogy_of_Jesus

Back then in most of antiquity humans mistook good fortune and conquest over "evil" as coming from a divine power. Just like today someone will pray to get a job or a raise.

Again where religion fails in all its forms is it mistakes the evolutionary ability for discovery, calls for kindness, and conquest over "evil" as calls it wisdom and falsely attributes it to non human things describing them as divine, or spirits or deities or god/s", when the reality is humans were doing it, not the clubs or deities they make up.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i love how you "reveal" all

i love how you "reveal" all this as if it were ever a big secret. OF COURSE hindus and buddhists share mythologies. OF COURSE buddhists in other countries share mythologies with those countries' pre-buddhist cultures. nobody ever hid this; everyone freely admits it.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i love how you

iwbiek wrote:
i love how you "reveal" all this as if it were ever a big secret. OF COURSE hindus and buddhists share mythologies. OF COURSE buddhists in other countries share mythologies with those countries' pre-buddhist cultures. nobody ever hid this; everyone freely admits it.

Oh bullshit, if it isn't new, and I agree it isn't new, and no it is not a secret, then don't be a fucking asshole trying to accuse me of being anti-religion as if I am anti human rights.

You fucking want to paint me as a bigot because of your bullshit highchool crap because Bob didn't side with you.

Bullshit, it is all MYTHOLOGY, INCLUDING BUDDISM!

The only difference between a mythology and a religion is religion is the differnce between once believed and still believed. It still is all man made as a result of gap filling and humans flawed perceptions.

Buddha started a religion, that does not mean what he founded on was based on anything lab tested or fasefiable. He like the early Christians, like the Romans and Greeks and Mayans and Egyptians, simply got ideas in their heads, made bad guesses, and or wanted to convince others to follow them, so they made up stories. BECAUSE NOBODY KNEW ANY  BETTER.

All all all all all all all ALL! the claimed gods, deities, spirits, and religions ever claimed or still claimed are HUMAN INVENTIONS. They are not a result of a separate power outside humans. 

You are throwing a fucking fit just like the Church did when Galileo told them the earth revolves around the sun. GROW THE FUCK UP ASSHOLE!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Bullshit, it

Brian37 wrote:

Dude. You don't know thing one about Buddhism including how to spell it.

Any one who believes that when Siddhartha was born, stood on his own, walked seven steps in each direction with lotus blossoms coming up where he stepped... well that is a fucking myth.

The core of the teachings are not myths. The Four Noble Truths are not myths.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'M throwing a fit? lulz.

I'M throwing a fit? lulz. you're the one posting a machine-gun fire of non sequiturs full of CAPS, profanity, and exclamation marks. btw, i said this acharya s person was anti-religion. i didn't call YOU anything.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:I'M throwing a

iwbiek wrote:
I'M throwing a fit? lulz. you're the one posting a machine-gun fire of non sequiturs full of CAPS, profanity, and exclamation marks. btw, i said this acharya s person was anti-religion. i didn't call YOU anything.

Yep keep up your passive agressive condsending bullshit.

The reason you challenge ALL religions is because of what humans justify with it, like this.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/12/28/catholic-priest-women-are-abused-because-they-dress-provocatively-and-dont...

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/10/13/448182574/indias-ban-on-beef-leads-to-murder-and-hindu-muslim-friction

https://newrepublic.com/article/116335/burma-massacre-muslims-ethnic-cleansing-has-just-escalated

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/12/time-arrest-ultra-orthodox-jews-delay-flights-seating/

It does not have to be a majority in any religion that do these things or justify such absurdities. It only takes just enough and the reasons all these people make are a result of reading words in a holy book or from bad ideas that have no bases in reality.

Now again, I have been completely consistent in saying I have absolutely NO desire to use force to end religion, but our species needs to be challenged on it's ideas and social norms to REDUCE bad claims and conflicts that amount to protection of ideas. Humans have rights, but ideas do not. You don't challenge bad ideas, like weeds they grow.

Religion is the cause of stupid crap like this. It is NOT OK to blame a woman for the way they dress. It is not ok to murder someone because they eat things you don't. It is not ok to disrupt the lives of others because an old book told you women are second class to you.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brian Quixote gets into

Brian Quixote gets into yet another battle with strawmen... And loses.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brian Quixote gets into

Brian Quixote gets into yet another battle with strawmen... And loses.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Dude. You don't know thing one about Buddhism including how to spell it.

Any one who believes that when Siddhartha was born, stood on his own, walked seven steps in each direction with lotus blossoms coming up where he stepped... well that is a fucking myth.

The core of the teachings are not myths. The Four Noble Truths are not myths.

Yes I do, it was started based on a leged, a myth, does not matter if a man named Buddha existed. The story of Maya still has him being born in a magical way when birth has babies comming out of the vagina, not the side. 

Here is the list....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths

1. What you want does not always satisfy you. NO SHIT.

2. Control your urges. Yea and? You are responsible for you, not others.

3. Be nice to others? Depends. Being nice does not mean being a doormat or never offending. Civility is not about never offending, but how you react when offended.

4. More crap about moderation and self control.

Now, there is nothing in those motifs that has not been said in other ways by other religions.

Our species ability to do good or bad is not rooted in holy books. Nobody is the gatekeeper of human morality. Buddhist countries also have prisons and criminals too.

All ALL ALL ALL religions claim the same things, "we know how to be good" "we have the cure". I'm sorry but even in Asia and The Orient, if you strip all other religions out of it, even their history is full of conflict between competing sects and nations.

And again, this is not an oversimplification. This is an acceptance of where human morality really comes from. OUR EVOLUTION.

Buddhism is no more special than any other religion. In 10 billion years it will be just as gone and forgotten as our entire species. If any claimed religion now or ever was a cure, our planet would have obtained peace by now.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I bet I am the only one

I bet I am the only one who criticizes Buddhism........ OH WAIT......LOOKY HERE, no I am not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Buddhism

Unifies the entire religion? Nope.

Denounces all sects that have sexist views? Nope.

Stops crime everywhere in all Buddhist communities of all sects? Nope.

Has never had any competing national or religous sect wars.....Nope.

Seems like it has the same problems all other religions have.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Looky here, Hinduism and

Looky here, Hinduism and Buddhism started in the same region. Kinda like Hebrew, and Christian and Islam started in the same regions and have overlap.

Started in the same region, based on the Vedas, no secret you say? Ok, so maybe it isn't that one is true because it is older, or the newer one is true because it is newer, or both are valid because of overlap. Maybe humans simply gap filled and used overlap to complete? Like Coke and Pepsi have similar flavors?

http://www.dentonisd.org/cms/lib/TX21000245/Centricity/Domain/6590/Buddhism%20Hinduism.pdf

Look at the quote in the article.

"Both had common roots in the Vedas".

Again, as with ALL religions, they are ideas, not lab tested and falsified realities. Religions compete, split and market, and morph and change.

We can expect even the religions today still held worldwide to morph and change and or die out too.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh and looky here, seems

Oh and looky here, seems there are also other people who have realized that one religion really isn't better than any other.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2003/02/buddhist_retreat.html Even this guy accepts Hinduism as Buddhism's parent religion, and look what he says about it.

". Buddhism "rejects the theological impulse," the philosopher Owen Flanagan declares approvingly in The Problem of the Soul. Actually, Buddhism is functionally theistic, even if it avoids the "G" word. Like its parent religion Hinduism, Buddhism espouses reincarnation, which holds that after death our souls are re-instantiated in new bodies, and karma, the law of moral cause and effect. Together, these tenets imply the existence of some cosmic judge who, like Santa Claus, tallies up our naughtiness and niceness before rewarding us with rebirth as a cockroach or as a saintly lama."

Now here is where many argue, just like Jews would about the Yahweh of Canaanite polytheism not being the same as the Hebrew Yahweh, the cop out is "this is a misinterpretation". Well fine, but the truth is Buddhism came from Hinduism no matter what and it cannot be consistent because of all the sects that claim "my interpretation is right". Buddhism has many different sects and those different sects read the same writings and come to different conclusions, just like Sunnis and Shiites(NOT TALKING ABOUT THE VIOLENCE OR POLITICS) Just saying both are using the same writings. No different than saying the different sects of Buddhism are plentiful like the different sects of Christianity and different versions of the bible. Even this guy in this article points out even the conflicts with modern science.

Here is another critic. https://newhumanist.org.uk/articles/4021/the-dark-side-of-buddhism And again, "You don't understand" the intellectual cop out of ALL RELIGIONS, but here are two examples of people who were involved directly. Here is another critic, who lived it. https://warforscience.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/why-i-am-not-a-buddhist/ And another guy that finds the rituals needlessly self inflicted, and really no different than any other religion. And even this guy sees that sexism exists in even Buddhism. https://reason.com/archives/2010/07/28/the-truth-about-tibetan-buddhi "The Lamaling Temple also brings home the fact that Tibetan Buddhism, like every other religion on Earth, is made up of various, sometimes horn-locking sects.

" Yep, seems he understands that is marketing, not enlightenment, which is how all religions really get passed down in reality. Buddhism unifies humanity? Humn, this person points out even ancient splits, kinda like Christianity had to vote on it's first canon to proclaim the first complete book. http://www.humanreligions.info/buddhism_criticism.html "The Buddhist Canon is full of "discrepancies and contradictions" and even the major Buddhist denominations are unsure if their texts are the original ones or if they are based on Human speculations about the original texts, which were themselves "handed down by memory about one hundred years" before being written down3. Buddhism therefore suffers from the same problems as Christianity and Islam: Everything we know about the religion comes from fallible human sources," And this quote from the article "Buddhist doctrine and practice vary greatly." Yep just like I have consistently said countless times. Yes religion is complex, yes, just like Christianity and Hinduism and Jewish and Islam, they too have many sects and many different interpretations. So again, I am not the only one who criticizes Buddhism, nor am I the only one who sees all religions fallible human constructs. And even SCIENTIST Victor Stenger points this out in his book "The New Atheism".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh looky here, Just like

Oh looky here, Just like the argument about the existence of Jesus

http://www.humanreligions.info/buddhism_criticism.html

"The historicity of Buddha is accepted by all. But there is no unanimity of the date. In Sri Lanka, 483 BC is accepted as the date of his nirvana while in Burma 544 BC is accepted. In Tibet it is believed to be 835 BC, while in China, 11th century BC is the accepted date. Buddha was an Indian and the Indian Puranic tradition believes that the nirvana took place in 1793 or 1807 BC."

Yep, it is complex, yes the sects are diverse.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Same article part 7,

Same article part 7, "Conclusions"......... Paints Buddhism the lesser trouble maker in the world. 

"http://www.humanreligions.info/buddhism_criticism.html

"Yet major divisions exist between the branches of Buddhism as to what practices are good, what are bad, and what the beliefs of the religion are. It is clear that with so many contradictory claims, most Buddhists must therefore be wrong in their beliefs."

Yep, just like any other religion, no complete agreement.

Maybe that is because of what I have been saying, humans gap fill, even within the same religions they don't agree, and nobody considers that our species morality is not derived from anything bigger than the natural world.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Brian Quixote picked

Brian Quixote picked himself up from the ground and remounted his mule. He bravely charges the horde of strawmen, and once again falls to the ground. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 We all accept there are

We all accept there are different and complex sects of Buddhism. Now why should I ignore if the core of it is the "4 Nobel Truths" are the core, you'd have me stupidly believe there would be absolutely no conflict between those different sects, as to how to implement those truths?

How is that any different than when conservitive Christians argue with liberal christians argue over what Jesus said? Buddha is no more universal to Buddhists than Jesus is to Christians. No more universal than Allah and Muhammad are to Islam. Least of the trouble makers maybe, but hardly universal, and no religion back then in any case, had our modern understanding of biology or the universe. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: We all

Brian37 wrote:

We all accept there are different and complex sects of Buddhism. Now why should I ignore if the core of it is the "4 Nobel Truths" are the core, you'd have me stupidly believe there would be absolutely no conflict between those different sects, as to how to implement those truths?

How is that any different than when conservitive Christians argue with liberal christians argue over what Jesus said? Buddha is no more universal to Buddhists than Jesus is to Christians. No more universal than Allah and Muhammad are to Islam. Least of the trouble makers maybe, but hardly universal, and no religion back then in any case, had our modern understanding of biology or the universe. 

No, I am making fun of you for attacking arguments that no person on here has ever made.  I would think that it would be polite of you to actually address what people say, instead of spewing an unrelated tangent all over the place. But, we all know you are never going to do that. You are either incapable, or unwilling. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
unwilling. wilfully

unwilling. wilfully dishonest, wilfully ignorant, wilfully a demagogue. he'd be right at home in husak's czechoslovakia. an apparatchik of new atheism par excellence.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Yes I do, it

Brian37 wrote:

Yes I do, it was started based on a leged, a myth, does not matter if a man named Buddha existed. The story of Maya still has him being born in a magical way when birth has babies comming out of the vagina, not the side. 

Here is the list....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths 1. What you want does not always satisfy you. NO SHIT. 2. Control your urges. Yea and? You are responsible for you, not others. 3. Be nice to others? Depends. Being nice does not mean being a doormat or never offending. Civility is not about never offending, but how you react when offended. 4. More crap about moderation and self control. Now, there is nothing in those motifs that has not been said in other ways by other religions. Our species ability to do good or bad is not rooted in holy books. Nobody is the gatekeeper of human morality. Buddhist countries also have prisons and criminals too. All ALL ALL ALL religions claim the same things, "we know how to be good" "we have the cure". I'm sorry but even in Asia and The Orient, if you strip all other religions out of it, even their history is full of conflict between competing sects and nations. And again, this is not an oversimplification. This is an acceptance of where human morality really comes from. OUR EVOLUTION. Buddhism is no more special than any other religion. In 10 billion years it will be just as gone and forgotten as our entire species. If any claimed religion now or ever was a cure, our planet would have obtained peace by now.

You have monkey mind.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Here is the list....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths 1. What you want does not always satisfy you. NO SHIT. 2. Control your urges. Yea and? You are responsible for you, not others. 3. Be nice to others? Depends. Being nice does not mean being a doormat or never offending. Civility is not about never offending, but how you react when offended. 4. More crap about moderation and self control. Now, there is nothing in those motifs that has not been said in other ways by other religions. Our species ability to do good or bad is not rooted in holy books. Nobody is the gatekeeper of human morality. Buddhist countries also have prisons and criminals too. All ALL ALL ALL religions claim the same things, "we know how to be good" "we have the cure". I'm sorry but even in Asia and The Orient, if you strip all other religions out of it, even their history is full of conflict between competing sects and nations. And again, this is not an oversimplification. This is an acceptance of where human morality really comes from. OUR EVOLUTION. Buddhism is no more special than any other religion. In 10 billion years it will be just as gone and forgotten as our entire species. If any claimed religion now or ever was a cure, our planet would have obtained peace by now.

You have monkey mind.

Monkey mind? Hum well lets see what a former Muslim, now atheist living in a Buddhist country as an atheist thinks of how the Buddhist majority treats minorities.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-12-29/burmese-atheist-who-takes-inspiration-george-carlin-and-bart-simpson

Imagine that, more evidence that holding a religion does NOT automatically one good. Not only did he get bullied by Buddhists, he also had internal conflict with his own Muslim family, although it does seem he was lucky enough to live in a family that didn't totally abandon him. Seems he got treated just like my younger sister by our family when she came out.

Religion makes morality claims, and so the fuck what, but religion is not the gatekeeper or patent holder on our evolutionary behavior. Buddhism holds nothing special it is simply another club people like belonging to.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Here is the list....

You have monkey mind.

Monkey mind? Hum well lets see what a former Muslim, now atheist living in a Buddhist country as an atheist thinks of how the Buddhist majority treats minorities.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-12-29/burmese-atheist-who-takes-inspiration-george-carlin-and-bart-simpson Imagine that, more evidence that holding a religion does NOT automatically one good. Not only did he get bullied by Buddhists, he also had internal conflict with his own Muslim family, although it does seem he was lucky enough to live in a family that didn't totally abandon him. Seems he got treated just like my younger sister by our family when she came out. Religion makes morality claims, and so the fuck what, but religion is not the gatekeeper or patent holder on our evolutionary behavior. Buddhism holds nothing special it is simply another club people like belonging to.

Brian Quixote doesn't give up against the army of strawmen despite being unhorsed multiple times. The strawman defeats him once again. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's nothing for me to do

There's nothing for me to do here except laugh.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Monkey mind?

Brian37 wrote:

Another person who focuses on the wrong argument of the original post.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Another person who focuses on the wrong argument of the original post.

Huh, oh, that's right he's an outsider like me....... 

Dispite the links I put in this thread of people who left Buddhism, not fresh enough? Here's a comment on another page from another person who left Buddhism, they made their comment today. Post #4

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-Another-reason-Buddhism-doesn-t-get-a-pass?pid=923691#pid923691 "Former Buddhist here. Yah, it's a religion. As kids, we were taught that the Buddha is more powerful than any god; be good or you'll be tortured in hell by buffalo-head and horse-face demons; for every rice of grain you waste, you have to eat 10 maggots; if you're bad you'll spend many more reincarnation cycles as mangy dogs, or maggots, or any other 'low' animals; if you're good you'll be reincarnated into a rich family, if you'll really really really really good and pious, you may become a buddha yourself with infinite power. Also buddism differs depends on where you were born... kinda like christianity... huh... buddhists in China will have different beliefs than the ones in Vietnam, Japan, where ever... kinda like christianity... All powerful deities, check. Commandments, yup. Childhood indoctrination, check. Hell, check. Heaven, check. Supernatural crap, check. Different denominations, you betcha. Child-molesting priests, unfortunately check, we call them 'cobra' monks. I find that most of the buddhists in the west just cherry pick what they like... kinda like what christians do..."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Neverending cluelessness..

Neverending cluelessness..

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Linked to the mythology,

Linked to the mythology, links to people subject to the bullying of the Buddhist majority.....Links to those who left Buddhism, like to a former Buddhist who agrees with me.

Now yet another link, this time from someone still in it. Making the same falacious arguments we get from other religions. #35  Quoting him and my response.

http://atheistforums.org/post-1157215.html#pid1157215

Buddha is no more efficient in bringing consensus to Buddhists than any other religious icon. It is another religious icon in human history. If there was a right way to "practice" any religion, you would not see differences or delusions in any of them.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: If there was

Brian37 wrote:

If there was a right way to "practice" any religion, you would not see differences or delusions in any of them.

I still don't see how any thing you've posted has any thing to do with the original post.

Here is how I see a conversation with you

My post - I saw a baseball game today and I thought that the umpires need to do a better job of being consistent with the strike zone.

Your reply - That's the same old woo that the Christians and the Muslims pull over the followers

My response - I'm talking about baseball and a strike zone

Your reply - Blame the labels! It's unavoidable!

My response - What?

Your reply - Dipshit, Fucking Moron!

<thread goes dead except for Brian posting to himself>

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

If there was a right way to "practice" any religion, you would not see differences or delusions in any of them.

I still don't see how any thing you've posted has any thing to do with the original post.

Here is how I see a conversation with you

My post - I saw a baseball game today and I thought that the umpires need to do a better job of being consistent with the strike zone.

Your reply - That's the same old woo that the Christians and the Muslims pull over the followers

My response - I'm talking about baseball and a strike zone

Your reply - Blame the labels! It's unavoidable!

My response - What?

Your reply - Dipshit, Fucking Moron!

<thread goes dead except for Brian posting to himself>

QFT

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well looky here, seems

Well looky here, seems like I am not the only one who thinks no religion should be scrutiny free. Here we have someone defending the bullshit idea of "Karma" in the context of rape, and an atheist responding to that bullshit defense.

Post #91

http://atheistforums.org/thread-40446-post-1178267.html#pid1178267

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Well looky

Brian37 wrote:

Well looky here, seems like I am not the only one who thinks no religion should be scrutiny free. Here we have someone defending the bullshit idea of "Karma" in the context of rape, and an atheist responding to that bullshit defense.

Post #91 http://atheistforums.org/thread-40446-post-1178267.html#pid1178267

So you aren't the only westerner who doesn't understand karma. Hint, bad karma has nothing to do with what I'll deeds are committed against you. That is a western belief, not a Buddhist one. Karma has to do with what you are reborn as, not day to day events.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
And noone here ever said any

And noone here ever said any religion should be scrutiny free either. Not even a theist. Brian just can't stop making shit up.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ALL relgions are posion and

ALL relgions are posion and no religion deserves to be scrutiny free, not even Buddhism. I am really fucking sick of people mistaking ideas as being the same as if they were physical DNA. Religion allows humans to forget that we are the same species and Buddhism is no more a cure for humanity and no more unifiying to Buddhists than any other religion. Not even Buddhism will automatically make someone empathetic or compassionate to their fellow human.

https://vimeo.com/98342739

Bitch at me about how much you think I hate people based on labels. I don't. I hate bad logic that allows humans to get to the point of so much fear that they are willing to do the things in that video.

"What would you know"
"They aren't doing it right"
"You are the same as them"
"Not all"

Are all arguments ALL religions use to avoid scrutiny. Religion teaches humans to be tribal and while every human is capable of compassion and empathy, religion is that poisonous distraction that allows humans to forget we are not a separate species. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution, not in religion itself.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:ALL relgions

Brian37 wrote:

ALL relgions are posion and no religion deserves to be scrutiny free

see post #41.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
II think Brian is addicted

II think Brian is addicted to making a fool of himself.