The more things change the more they stay the same...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The more things change the more they stay the same...

"Cardinal Peter Turkson, from Ghana, said natural methods of birth control could be used to curb a rapidly growing population

One of the Catholic Church’s senior cardinals has suggested birth control could help tackle climate change.

Cardinal Peter Turkson, from Ghana, claimed a warmer planet would create food security problems in a world with a rapidly increasing population."

Oh oh oh a tease...

"to help alleviate food shortage problems, he suggested natural methods of birth control could be practised."

"‘This has been talked about, and the Holy Father on his trip back from the Philippines also invited people to some form of birth control, because the church has never been against birth control and people spacing out births and all of that.’"

"However, he reiterated the Church’s stance that artificial forms of birth control still did not have the blessing of the Vatican."

Flatline. You'd think there'd be at least a few people in the higher levels of the church who'd know the absolute futility in telling people to only have sex a few times throughout their fertile years. Guess not.

http://www.stardailystandard.com/uk/is-the-vatican-promoting-birth-control-to-tackle-climate-change/56946/

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
It's not going to work.

Unbeknownst to the Vatican - holy father--(what makes someone a holy father is a matter of speculation, or unknown factors) 90% of catholic ladies are on the pill. So.at this point any of this is past the prospect of working. There's no point in closing the corral after the horses are gone. It's already to late to solve any of todays problems. On an unrelated example---wind energy. The breakdown rate is almost caught up to the intsallation rate. In another 2 yearts ( my estimation) the breackdown rate will surpass the the installation rate. Back to the problem--the catholic sex rate ( contraception rate ) has already surpassed anything that can work--that's constitutionally legal anyways. The church floks are under the constant illusion that cathioliss as a whole obey the church rools, they don't. Contraception by normal means has already been going on since the pill was developed.  Sorry there holy guy....the horses are gone. every catholic that has been useing the pill since the 60s will swear on the holy fathers ring that they'll be going to heaven anyways.

addition--what I really mean is---the worlds birth rate has already surpassed (and not slowing) the possibility of correcting the problems. The planet cannot sustain 7 billion cars, or ever make enough electricity for all to be born in the next 100 years. Can't be done without ruining the planet.

Your flatline is correct--as I see it.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The Catholic church is in

The Catholic church is in the business of being an opiate for misery caused by overpopulation. So they have no incentive to run themselves out of business with fewer people on the planet.

Voluntary birth control would work about as well as voluntary tax collection. Deadly force must be used to stop irresponsible people from fucking up things more thant they already are.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"Cardinal Peter

Vastet wrote:
"Cardinal Peter Turkson, from Ghana, said natural methods of birth control could be used to curb a rapidly growing population One of the Catholic Church’s senior cardinals has suggested birth control could help tackle climate change. Cardinal Peter Turkson, from Ghana, claimed a warmer planet would create food security problems in a world with a rapidly increasing population." Oh oh oh a tease... "to help alleviate food shortage problems, he suggested natural methods of birth control could be practised." "‘This has been talked about, and the Holy Father on his trip back from the Philippines also invited people to some form of birth control, because the church has never been against birth control and people spacing out births and all of that.’" "However, he reiterated the Church’s stance that artificial forms of birth control still did not have the blessing of the Vatican." Flatline. You'd think there'd be at least a few people in the higher levels of the church who'd know the absolute futility in telling people to only have sex a few times throughout their fertile years. Guess not. http://www.stardailystandard.com/uk/is-the-vatican-promoting-birth-control-to-tackle-climate-change/56946/

Yea but lets not blame the concept of "religion" because that might force people think about better managment of it. Lets all stupidly assume that calling it poison is a call to forcefully end it.

I find it laughable that you rightfully point out the bad logic that prevents pragmatic change and then, just like the corporate fuel industry, you rightfully blast it, but watch as I agree with you in pointing this out, you'll run like  brat "just because" I am involved.

Now here you are pointing to an internal conflict rightfully, and the dissagreeing parties are still under the same sect of the same relgion using the same book. Just like Sunnis and Shiites use the Koran. Just like there are right wing Baptists who vote GOP and liberal Baptists who vote democrat. 

The concept, the word "religion" as a human invented construct is problematic for the very example you just posted. The only thing that makes progress is when we challenge religion, not simply blindly protect it. Rights and claims are still separate issues. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote: The Catholic

EXC wrote:

The Catholic church is in the business of being an opiate for misery caused by overpopulation. So they have no incentive to run themselves out of business with fewer people on the planet.

Voluntary birth control would work about as well as voluntary tax collection. Deadly force must be used to stop irresponsible people from fucking up things more thant they already are.

Religion is a business, all of them. They always have been both monotheism and polytheism throughout our species history. Some have been more violent and others less violent depending on time of history, but they all have the same problem, the concept of forming a group while providing a group, also sets them up against other groups and even cause internal conflict within the same label. 

Catholics don't own a patent on stupidity nor do Muslims or Jews or Hindus ect ect ect ect. Our species ability to group around bad ideas and false perceptions is a flaw we constantly have to manage and overcome.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
"Cardinal Peter Turkson, from Ghana, said natural methods of birth control could be used to curb a rapidly growing population One of the Catholic Church’s senior cardinals has suggested birth control could help tackle climate change. Cardinal Peter Turkson, from Ghana, claimed a warmer planet would create food security problems in a world with a rapidly increasing population." Oh oh oh a tease... "to help alleviate food shortage problems, he suggested natural methods of birth control could be practised." "‘This has been talked about, and the Holy Father on his trip back from the Philippines also invited people to some form of birth control, because the church has never been against birth control and people spacing out births and all of that.’" "However, he reiterated the Church’s stance that artificial forms of birth control still did not have the blessing of the Vatican." Flatline. You'd think there'd be at least a few people in the higher levels of the church who'd know the absolute futility in telling people to only have sex a few times throughout their fertile years. Guess not. http://www.stardailystandard.com/uk/is-the-vatican-promoting-birth-control-to-tackle-climate-change/56946/

Yea but lets not blame the concept of "religion" because that might force people think about better managment of it. Lets all stupidly assume that calling it poison is a call to forcefully end it.

I find it laughable that you rightfully point out the bad logic that prevents pragmatic change and then, just like the corporate fuel industry, you rightfully blast it, but watch as I agree with you in pointing this out, you'll run like  brat "just because" I am involved.

Now here you are pointing to an internal conflict rightfully, and the dissagreeing parties are still under the same sect of the same relgion using the same book. Just like Sunnis and Shiites use the Koran. Just like there are right wing Baptists who vote GOP and liberal Baptists who vote democrat. 

The concept, the word "religion" as a human invented construct is problematic for the very example you just posted. The only thing that makes progress is when we challenge religion, not simply blindly protect it. Rights and claims are still separate issues. 

Brian continues to fail at basic reading comprehension and logic. And of course it wouldn't be a Brian post if it weren't full of lies, strawmen, red herrings, and attempts to change the discussion into subjects Brian is more comfortable with than reality and fact.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Religions are definitely a business.

Brian37 wrote:

EXC wrote:

Religion is a business, all of them. They always have been both monotheism and polytheism throughout our species history. Some have been more violent and others less violent depending on time of history, but they all have the same problem, the concept of forming a group while providing a group, also sets them up against other groups and even cause internal conflict within the same label. 

Catholics don't own a patent on stupidity nor do Muslims or Jews or Hindus ect ect ect ect. Our species ability to group around bad ideas and false perceptions is a flaw we constantly have to manage and overcome.

They are based within the spectrum of business phylosophies. IE- yearly prospcetus and estimates of income. Religious beliefs are rooted in 7000 years or more of the  misunderstandings of natural processes and phenomenon, both material and psychological, and mostly assumptions and ignorance of how the universe works and is consructed. The ignorance is the main reason for the belief that an intellectual being is resposible for universal creation and it's material contents. (This does equate to the OP) The idea that there is a supeior being is derived from people's own following of is rated as superior persons that run a society, or placeing individuals in superior positions. It makes sense then to ignorant peoples that the universe also must be under the controll of a supeior being, when nothing could be further from the truth,.

The universe as most all Atheists know --works the way it works, and todays results are a culmination of those natural workings. Among the psycholigical and physical workings is the natural drive to procreate. Nature as far as can be seen, did not give a rhyme or reason for this drive--it merely produced it for it's own sake. Tha idea of contraception is to use rhyme and reason to procreate or not to, which technically is a will to outdo nature. Outdoing nature by contrception only has concequences of--no procreation. Not to outdo or over-ride nature has drastic consequences as we are experiencing today. While nature itself (outside our own preferences) has no intellectual application other then ourselves to procreate or not.

The natural drive to procreate is not controlled by the person. It can only be brought under control of the person "after" the fact that the will is recognised to be active. The will to procreate is going to come about whether the person wills to or not. To regulate procreation by voluntary contraception by menstral cycleing can be nothing but abject failure--as this has already been seen. I find it nearly impossible on a social; scale for the most part---to see that couples will have sexual relations for just one week of the month. It's a #1  cause to go laying around the neighborhood when hubby or wifey  is away. 

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth