atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
New theoretical study suggests Earth is far ahead of its time

Most Earth-like worlds have yet to be born

Date:
October 20, 2015

Source:
Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)

Summary:
Earth came early to the party in the evolving universe. According to a new theoretical study, when our solar system was born 4.6 billion years ago only eight percent of the potentially habitable planets that will ever form in the universe existed. And, the party won't be over when the sun burns out in another 6 billion years. The bulk of those planets - 92 percent - have yet to be born.

Source article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151020104849.htm

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I was thinking similarly

I was thinking similarly to that idea, that we are sort of the newest on the block and in another trillion years there will be similar planets with intelligent life looking out at our galaxy observing our lost civilization. Maybe we will leave behind star-gates and worm tunnels which run all over the Universe.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
For any of those far in the

For any of those far in the future species, I hope for their sake we leave something that shows them what we know about the beginning of the universe. By then all the evidence we can see today won't exist anymore.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:For any of

Vastet wrote:
For any of those far in the future species, I hope for their sake we leave something that shows them what we know about the beginning of the universe. By then all the evidence we can see today won't exist anymore.

The only thing remaining will be those tablets that the church of scientology left in the desert. Of course when the aliens decrypt the writing they will realize that we ceased to exist because we were a dumb civilization.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's quite likely the

It's quite likely the Voyagers and other probes we've sent into space have a higher likelyhood of surviving to be the last relics of our species. The stuff on the moon especially. Funny to think a few footprints might outlast the pyramids.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It's quite

Vastet wrote:
It's quite likely the Voyagers and other probes we've sent into space have a higher likelyhood of surviving to be the last relics of our species. The stuff on the moon especially. Funny to think a few footprints might outlast the pyramids.

Well it will all disappear when the Sun increases 1,000 times in size then swallows us and the Moon.

I agree. Those probes will continue going and going, unless they hit something, like another alien probe, then fix theirselves, then go off to exterminate inferior lifeforms.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Well it will all disappear when the Sun increases 1,000 times in size then swallows us and the Moon.

I agree. Those probes will continue going and going, unless they hit something, like another alien probe, then fix theirselves, then go off to exterminate inferior lifeforms.

v'ger!!!!! i've always said it's only a matter of time...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

v'ger!!!!! i've always said it's only a matter of time...

LOL

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Which is why I find it

Which is why I find it funny you take such childish umbrige to pointing out that religion poisons our species ability to accept science and distracts resources away from doing such. Religion is not required for evolution it is a flaw in our species perceptions.None of the universe was put here for humans and we are a mere finite blip in all this. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Which is why

Brian37 wrote:

Which is why I find it funny you take such childish umbrige to pointing out that religion poisons our species ability to accept science and distracts resources away from doing such. Religion is not required for evolution it is a flaw in our species perceptions.None of the universe was put here for humans and we are a mere finite blip in all this. 

Brian poisons yet another topic with his stupid bullshit just because he got his ass handed to him AGAIN.