Dyson Sphere?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dyson Sphere?

I had never heard of the project but Planet Hunters is much like the SETI project which used computers back in the 90's to run a screen saver to analyze data. Instead they use people to analyze light patterns in various stars to see if there are planets orbiting it.

One star was flagged by a number of people to have strange patterns never seen before on a star. It is a rough guess but scientists were wondering if it was of intelligent design, such as a Dyson Sphere.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/10/the-most-interesting-star-in-our-galaxy/410023/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I read about it a few

Yeah I read about it a few days ago. Potentially amazing. And completely fits the reality that intelligent species could be all around us and we'd never know. Far as anyone at that location is concerned, Earth is a dark and uninteresting ball of rock, and will remain so for another 1200 odd years at least.

Even if the strange dimming of the star is caused by comets or something, it's still pretty amazing. That much mass zipping around in formation would be incredible to see.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Yeah I read

Vastet wrote:
Yeah I read about it a few days ago. Potentially amazing. And completely fits the reality that intelligent species could be all around us and we'd never know. Far as anyone at that location is concerned, Earth is a dark and uninteresting ball of rock, and will remain so for another 1200 odd years at least. Even if the strange dimming of the star is caused by comets or something, it's still pretty amazing. That much mass zipping around in formation would be incredible to see.

Yeah. I thought about like a thousand comets zooming around this star.. it would be crazy to see. However I secretly wish that it would be Dyson Sphere.