9 dead in South Carolina Church shooting.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
9 dead in South Carolina Church shooting.

While one can certainly feel bad for the survivors, the logic of "all powerful" just like when a church burns down for an accidental fire, the logic simply is not there to claim all powerful or all loving only to have innocent people murdered in a monument built to you. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/17/charleston-south-carolina-shooting/28902017/

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
^ Brian applauds murder.

^ Brian applauds murder.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:^ Brian

Vastet wrote:
^ Brian applauds murder.

I was going to come in here to ONLY condemn Fox News' embarrasing coverage of this tragedy, but I'll have some more to say shortly. 

Fox News' coverage of this tragedy glossing over the perpetrator's demonstrably racist profile, and the words he yelled while committing his crime. There is almost 0 mention of race in their coverage. What are they pitching as a motive? An attack on Christianity. I'm annoyed, but entertained in a way with their yearly "war on Christmas" bullshit they run every year (haven't they already had one article this year re: Festivus? Starting awful early). But to attempt to portray this as an attack on Christianity when it isn't, to deflect away attention from the actual problems, is deplorable. 

The reasons that this kid did this are probably two-fold (excepting the obvious ones like "fucked in the head" and easy access to guns). Reason #1, he was a racist. He yelled racist things while committing the crime, and I understand he has been a known racist otherwise (I don't really feel like looking into it, because it would do exactly the opposite of what we must do as a society as a result of the upcoming text). Reason #2 is that when people are boiling with hatred as he was (for whatever reason, be it racism, sexism, feeling a victim of bullying, being a victim of bullying), the most attractive thing becomes to do something very significant and be noticed. Want to be notorious and famous? Well the American media is going to do an awesome job of that for you, so long as you shoot a few people. Whether you live or die, you will be known. Everyone will know your name. You will be on every media outlet for at least weeks, and depending on where, your name will be remembered for lifetimes by more people than you could otherwise reach! The media needs to stop sensationalizing these events in this way! A great summing up of these things can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4&index=22&list=WL

Indeed, in the country both Vastet and I share, we had a tragedy this past October in our capital, where a lone shooter with a gun attacked parliament hill opened fire, killing Cpl. Nathan Cirillo. The coverage on our news stations tends to be far less sensationalized. As someone without cable, I'm usually not privy to it anyhow, so please correct me if I'm wrong. All coverage I watched was streamed through CBC. Throughout much of the event while it was ongoing, and even aftewards, much of it was Peter Mansbridge saying "we have no updates of this time, for those just tuning in (describes event)". That's all. In the days following, it was shown that while the perpetrator seemed to be a supporter of extremist Muslim ideology, it was also revealed that he was likely mentally ill. There wasn't around-the-clock coverage of him and his internet activity, etc. We just went on and moved on.  

These things need to stop being sensationalized, but what Fox News is doing is even fucking worse. Trying to portray this as an attack on Christianity is, I'm not afraid to say, a new low for them. The media at large in the USA exploits these tragedies, but to actually deflect the cause and attempt to use it to play a fictional victim is a hideous thing to do. 

Then Brian posts the article here in order to say "where's your god now!" as if it's an appropriate topic over which to discuss what we believe about the supernatural. You, Brian, are a bizarre alternate universe Rational Response Squad version of Fox News. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
both brian and fox news

both brian and fox news operate with an "end justifies the means" mentality. brian's end is demonizing religion in any and all possible situations. fox news's end is demonizing the demonizers, whether perceived or actual (in this case, obviously perceived). that's why, whenever he's called out for being inaccurate or dishonest, brian just berates everybody for missing or trying to distract from his overall point, a point that always must be driven home regardless of it's relevance to the topic or lack thereof.

brian is a fucking ghoul. he's using the dead and their tragic end as a vehicle for his all-important cause. this isn't the first time he's piggy-backed on a tragedy that had nothing to do with religion in order to joust with religion.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Indeed, in the country both

"Indeed, in the country both Vastet and I share, we had a tragedy this past October in our capital, where a lone shooter with a gun attacked parliament hill opened fire, killing Cpl. Nathan Cirillo."

You know, I've seen American media mention it more than Canadian media. The one event in the last few years that I recall getting American-style attention was that nut going around killing cops in the maritimes. In that particular case it made sense, because the guy was still out killing cops while they were reporting on it, and the people who lived there were rightly scared and wanting to know if they were going to be targeted too. Soon as they grabbed him the attention to the issue faded real fast.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is how the conservative

Here is how the conservative media spins violence:

Black Perpetrator = Thug

Arab Perpetrator = Terrorist

White Perpetrator = Mental Illness/Atheist

Here is how the liberal media spins violence:

White Perpetrator = Racist/Misogynist

Arab Perpetrator = Self-Defense against American imperialism

Black Perpetrator = Victim of economic inequality and racism

The fact is we live in a highly competitive society. The economic, social and sexual marketplaces are highy competive, especially for young men . So, this guy was a bigtime loser. Being a loser caused him to be a racist and seek revenge. Racism was not the root cause, the competive nature of society is the root cause. IMHO, this a taboo subject, so we're stuck with the media spin and society scratching their heads for answers.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Here is how the

EXC wrote:

Here is how the conservative media spins violence:

Black Perpetrator = Thug

Arab Perpetrator = Terrorist

White Perpetrator = Mental Illness/Atheist

Here is how the liberal media spins violence:

White Perpetrator = Racist/Misogynist

Arab Perpetrator = Self-Defense against American imperialism

Black Perpetrator = Victim of economic inequality and racism

Haven't you heard ?    There's no such thing as liberal bias in the media.   Stephanopolous was just a fluke.

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"Indeed, in the

Vastet wrote:
"Indeed, in the country both Vastet and I share, we had a tragedy this past October in our capital, where a lone shooter with a gun attacked parliament hill opened fire, killing Cpl. Nathan Cirillo." You know, I've seen American media mention it more than Canadian media. The one event in the last few years that I recall getting American-style attention was that nut going around killing cops in the maritimes. In that particular case it made sense, because the guy was still out killing cops while they were reporting on it, and the people who lived there were rightly scared and wanting to know if they were going to be targeted too. Soon as they grabbed him the attention to the issue faded real fast.

Absolutely! I'm not always sure as I got rid of cable over a year ago, but it certainly seems like we get bombarded far less. I remember some talk of the shooter being mentally ill, and others of him being at least a fan of jihadist figures. That's about it. It ended very quickly. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
As I recall he wanted to

As I recall he wanted to start a revolution. He didn't realise that we aren't so close to needing one it would be so easy to trigger it, and he didn't realise that going after cops in small-town Canada is NOT the way to go about it even if we were. He was deluded and infused with unwarranted self importance. An armed rebellion isn't going to happen here unless it starts with the military.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/5-dead-in-louisiana-church-shooting/

Shooter was black.   Let's see how much national media attention is spent covering this latest act of violence compared to the level of coverage concerning a similar crime that happened in South Carolina.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That was 9 years ago...

That was 9 years ago...

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:That was 9

Vastet wrote:
That was 9 years ago...

Shit.  Didn't pay attention to the date.  Was just Googling by topic.

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Not to say that Canadian

Not to say that Canadian media in general can't be acquitted of the same thing, replacing black people with Natives by the way. 

EDIT - Certainly not as bad from the blatant police brutality standpoint, but the ignorance of problems affecting that group do get glossed over by certain people...and definitely the government who just passed a hideous surveillance bill. They felt that we need more resources to fight terrorism (oddly, the bill was tabled shortly after the aforementioned shooting). Meanwhile, the highway of tears (where native women die in disgustingly massive numbers), has the government reacting by saying "that's up to the RCMP to handle". So give one agency more power to fight terrorism which isn't a fucking problem here. But a probable single or group of serial killers on one fucking highway, and "let the police do their job" like they fucking have been the whole time??....sorry about the rant.