common ground

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
common ground

Just for the sake of finding common ground, with the fact that I have a genuine care for all of you:

FINAL FANTASY VII remake. Epic Awesomeness

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You tried, but FFVII is one

You tried, but FFVII is one of the most overrated games in the history of gaming. Don't get me wrong, I'll still play it every now and then. It's a great game, and it going to Playstation practically killed Ninetendo singlehandedly. It also was the beginning of the CGI movie-in-a-game trend that today is almost a standard necessity.

But the main character was such an idiot that one of my favourite parts of the game is when Tifa takes over because Cloud is so mind fucked he retreats into a Mako coma. One of my least favourite is that bs dream sequence to get him back. Only the ice area was more annoying.

A FFVI remake would get me interested far more than FFVII. FFVIII too. FFX would be cool, except I don't think a remake could improve much. The difference between PS2 & PS4 isn't half as big as the difference between PS1 & PS4, let alone SNES & PS4.

That said, provided they keep all the game mechanics and the side quests and the strategy of the pre-PS3 FF titles, a FFVII remake would be the first FF title I'd HAVE to buy since FFX was released. The whole series went to shit after FFX. Not one single good FF title in nearly 15 years. Very sad.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I have zero knowledge on

I have zero knowledge on the subject, but I'll put my trust in Vastet's opinion.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been using Steam a lot

I've been using Steam a lot in the last year or so. I keep running into Final Fantasy on Steam, but I haven't seen even one with the highest rating yet (extremely positive), so I don't know which one to buy (if any). If it's not an issue with the port, companies also seem to enjoy "improving" the original content. 

Edit: Since you mentioned it, I decided to look up VII on Steam. Ah, this is actually 94%, so only 1% from the "extremely positive" tag; maybe I'll get it at some point then.  

....except, for this one, you have to have a Square Enix account, and sign in every time you play, even though it's a single player game (but you get achievements online, trololol). Also, some of the reviews are saying their graphics update is bad, and it actually looks worse than before. Buh.

And wtf is this?

Quote:
Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Lame. Gay. Too much hand-holding is not a good thing; it ruins games. I can't imagine that most gamers who have been around long enough to enjoy FFVII would be happy to read this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get a PS1 emulator and a

Get a PS1 emulator and a ROM. Fuck Steam. Fuck always online bullshit. And fuck halfhearted updates to a 20 year old game to milk more cash from the sheep fanboys who've kept FFVII mania alive well past the point it should have died off.

Also, get a SNES emulator and FFVI first. It was by far the best game in the series.

Edit:
That character booster crap is because kids today can't invest themselves in a true RPG. Back in 1997, if you wanted better stats, you fucking walked around the map for a couple hours and earned them by levelling up. Free gil? Ridiculous! Sell a materia you maxed out and you'll be rich.

I swear pandering to casual gamers who have no business playing anything more advanced than Farmville has ruined the industry.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:one of my

Vastet wrote:
one of my favourite parts of the game is when Tifa takes over

yeah, i'd like tifa to take over anything Eye-wink she was the first video game character i ever had a full-out crush on, and no, i'm not ashamed to say it.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aside from Lara Croft and

Aside from Lara Croft and Samus she was the only female character of the age who actually had both balls and brains. She took on Sephiroth, by herself. Most everyone on the planet would shit themselves at the very idea, but she didn't even think twice. She even made Cloud dress up as a girl. She was awesome. Easily my favourite character in the game.

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Also, get a

Vastet wrote:
Also, get a SNES emulator and FFVI first. It was by far the best game in the series.

I'll have to try that. My only experience in the franchise is FF1 for NES (yes, really) and FFTactics for PS1.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i used to have FF mystic

i used to have FF mystic quest for SNES which was marketed as an entry level RPG, but i really liked it. as far as i know, it has no continuity with the rest of the series.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There isn't really any

There isn't really any continuity in FF. X-2 (not XII, that was a different game) was a direct sequel to X. XIII was a clusterfuck of games that were tied to each other. But beyond that the only continuity was keeping some of the same creatures in each game. Moogles and Chocobos and Summons were in most of them, and were at least partially similar in purpose. But most of the games each reinvented the entire world, and have no storyline continuity with the others.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
as far as i can remember,

as far as i can remember, mystic quest doesn't have any of those, although the player does encounter the likeness of a chocobo on a weathervane.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never played it myself. It

I never played it myself. It has a very poor reputation amongst the general FF community, so I was never interested in seeking it out. It and Crystal Chronicals both.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, it's definitely not a

well, it's definitely not a particularly difficult RPG, and it can get monotonous at times, especially when trying to max out on experience levels (but then again, i have yet to find an RPG that doesn't get tedious when building experience). probably the biggest criticism came from its not surprising you with random battles, but having enemy sprites that don't move around (but the enemy sprites just look so goddamn cool, or at least they did in 1992). but i always enjoyed the adventure elements it incorporated (adventure was always my favorite genre), and the graphics, particularly the enemies, and the music, are top-notch. it would be a good way to kill some dead time at work or something, sort of like a game of tetris or solitaire. now that we live in the age of emulators and free ROMs, i recommend it.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always found RPGs without

I always found RPGs without depth and tactics too boring to hook me long enough to play through. I read up on it at wikipedia and I can't say I'm very interested. All the things I like most about classic FF aren't there. The world map isn't really anything more than a menu, there's no party system, the story is rather bland, and there's no customisation.

I've never really had a preference regarding random battles, so that doesn't impact me any. They can certainly make it easier to level up and get items, but if the game doesn't have them then you probably don't need that anyway.

The world map, however, was one of the first things that got me hooked into RPGs. I love being able to explore, looking for hidden quests and equipment. And worrying you might have strayed too far, and whether the next enemy you see will step on you added a certain realism to it.

FFX was such a great game I was able to overlook the lack of a world map somewhat, but no FF since was nearly as good. They should never have gotten rid of it.
I don't think I could play a RPG without a world map anymore, unless it was FFX.

And the party system allowed for all kinds of strategies. Part of what made FFVI so awesome was the sheer number of possible party combinations. There was something like 18 characters, and all but two or three were fleshed out with back story and events specific to the character, as well as each having a unique role in battle. It really paid off using them all throughout too, because the end dungeon required 3 parties. If you ignored all but a few party members throughout the game, you'd never get through the dungeon alive.

Customisation is usually what really gets me though, and besides story is the reason I love FFVIII & X so much. They were the two games that had the ability to make your characters into gods, if you were willing to put in the time. And I was. My main FFX save file surpassed 1700 hours. Before X the timer stopped counting at 499 or less, but I probably put twice the time I put in FFX into FFVIII.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, those are all common

yeah, those are all common criticisms. i guess at that time i was still relating to games like super mario world, which also had a "world map" that couldn't be explored. the dungeons in MQ are very zelda-esque, with puzzles like pushing blocks around, and i liked that because i was a hardcore link to the past fan (still am, sctually--it's still my favorite zelda game, with link's awakening and ocarina of time tied for a close second, though i've never played any past majora's mask). i probably didn't miss the party system. i cut my RPG teeth on the first dragon warrior, so the fact that there was more than one player on the battle screen in MQ was probably "party" enough for me. dragon warrior did, however, have a fully explorable world map and yeah, there was the fact that if you strayed too far to the south too soon, you got your ass ground into hamburger by blue dragons and gold golems and shit. there was a keen andrenaline rush of seeing if you could get in and out with an important treasure that you had no business getting at your level before you got eaten alive (you couldn't). in MQ, it is pretty impossible to encounter monsters too far beyond your ability to handle them.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
OOT & MM were the only Zelda

OOT & MM were the only Zelda games I ever played. They were fun enough, but they weren't quite sufficient to have me love them. They were glitchy, and the way the game set up what you saw pissed me off a number of times. I want to look there but it makes me look here kinda thing.

I also thought the stories were basically cliché and meant for kids.

I always figured an action RPG should be better done.

I can tell you that the Batman Arkham series is infinitely better than Zelda. They are basically RPGs themselves. I actually can't think of anything that sets them apart except for quality in every aspect. Ok, you can't ride a horse. But you can kinda fly, so fuck horses.

You collect new tools as you go, you get more defence power as you gain exp, it even has a hookshot. It's like Zelda on steroids, but you're Batman. Fuck Zelda lol. I'll never have a reason to play it again.

Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur are two other action RPGs I've run into. Both are awesome, for different reasons.

But I do miss the old school FF style RPG. I can only hope it will come back some day.