Don't install anything from Uniblue!!!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't install anything from Uniblue!!!

I think I uninstalled Driver Scanner before it did any damage to my computer since I didn't actually buy the software or try to install any updates. But, I'm monitoring my computer to make sure. 

http://download.cnet.com/DriverScanner-2014/3000-2094_4-10891366.html

Microsoft page

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:"Epic Fail, APPEARS TO

Quote:
"Epic Fail, APPEARS TO BE A VIRUS PROGRAM!"

Pros

- If you want to sabotage somebody's computer download and install this along with all of the "You're computer is infected with a virus!" popup programs.

Cons

- Doesn't do ANYTHING the description states. This program appears to be a virus. I installed this "program" on an older system with some older hardware that is extremely difficult to find drivers for now a days. The machine runs windows XP. The program installed no problem and then apparently opened no problem...and opened again... and again... and again... until I got fed up, uninstalled and rebooted. The EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS thing about this was that no GUI presents itself after the splash screen. The program gives you the illusion of opening... something... when the splash screen fades the process disappears and re-names itself and then sits hiding... waiting... I have no idea what the new process it creates for itself does, however this behavior screams virus.

- DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS!!! You will probably never see anything that remotely resembles the screen shot provided above.

Summary

Useless, unless you live life dangerously with no clue what the heck is running in the background on your computer.

Quote:
I have been using Uniblue software for 3 years and until now, have never had a problem.

I renewed SpeedUpMyPC for another year back @ Sept, 2013. It is the only Uniblue program I have left. The program had 2 or 3 updates for it sent by notification pop-up box since that date, and I allowed the updates to proceed.

I have Hitman Pro And Malwarebytes Antimalware installed. Hitman Pro has called many files in Uniblue to be potential malware, & has done so since that 1st 'update,' and has put them on it's "ignore" list.

It has been @ a few months since the last SpeedUpMyPC update, and Hitman Pro, on 4/3/2014, defined a slew of its files to be DEFINITE malware and deleted them, not quarantined, but deleted. I allowed this. The entire program appears to be gone: nothing in my list of installed programs, and the shortcut icon on the desktop is also gone. Actually, I did not expect this complete removal. Duh.

There has been nothing specific that I can say I think is connected to the deleted program, but my mouse had been making forays around the desktop all by itself and another 'cleanup' program kept popping up several times a day, even though it is on a once-a-day schedule, for the same time each day. Also, after typing in a topic in the Google search box, I hit "enter" and nothing happens. So I have not been able to search on Google Chrome, but am able to get a response and be sent to a website via Internet Explorer.

HOWEVER, today 4/4/2014, I am now remembering that the 'updates' for Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC came with an option to include in the 'update' download a "Search" web-search program. I left the check box with the check mark in it so it would be included in the download. Hitman Pro has also been labeling some of it's files as potential malware, and has been putting those files in it's "ignore" list, just like it started out doing with files of SpeedUpMyPC. The "Search" search engine extension (?) attached to Google Chrome search engine has 2 tabs that pop up when I click on the Google icon. Just how many do I need? Now I can't get rid of either "Search" tabs, as well as still not able to use Google Chrome for web searches when I click on the desktop icon, and get it's search box, even with SpeedUpMyPC uninstalled.

So, quite possibly, "Search" tab is also malware (it was attached to SpeedUpMyPC 'update'), and Hitman Pro will get rid of it eventually. I certainly can't.

I also seem to have been stuck with something called "Conduit" search program that I don't recall allowing as a search add-on (?). Hitman Pro is calling it malware & got rid of the files on it's list. I shall see if it is entirely gone next time Hitman Pro does a scan.

This all I have right now. I was going to call Uniblue & tell them about these developments--I think I still will. Maybe a disgruntled tech is sabotaging their programs??? You would think they would know all about it by now, EH?

Quote:
Something more sinister happened with this whole Uniblue thing today.

My mother is using my (very) old laptop and has seemingly been infected by some Uniblue malware for some time. Something had installed itself and was routinely serving pop-ups.

Today she got a phone call purporting to be from Microsoft, saying that she needs to buy Uniblue products or her computer will "crash in 72 hours" and that any new computer she buys will will also be infected because they "checked her server".

Utter rubbish, of course, and she spotted it a mile away. But it's very disturbing that they are now doing this. After all, how did they get her phone number?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare