In Memoriam

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
In Memoriam

Amid the ribs, burgers and hotdogs, the purpose of memorial day seems to easily be forgotten. Major Alan Rowe died September 3rd, 2004 when an IED blew up his vehicle in the Anbar province during his second deployment in Iraq. 6 years earlier, then 1st Lt. Rowe made a difference in the life of an arrogant, cocky punk from Wisconsin. A leader by example, he was the kind of man that could make you feel like a shitbird with a glance and praise feel like a fucking Olympic medal. The kind of softspoken, confident person that soldiers followed from respect, not force. He was the first death in the war that touched me personally. I remember the day I heard of his passing, and how angry I got that the world didn't give a shit. A man I respected and considered a mentor died and was just a scrolling line on the evening news. But then, most of the thousands who have died directly or indirectly during the war are just statistics to me. It is great that we are in a position where we can fight multiple wars and most of the population doesn't even notice in their day to day activities, but today remember that even now our soldiers are risking their lives, for causes that sometimes seem pointless. Whether we notice or not, for those with loved ones in danger it is all too real.

Thanks to Jly and Butter and any lurkers out there for their service.

Semper Fi. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline

http://www.forcerecon.com/Maj-Allen-B-Rowe.htm

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wish I could say remember

I wish I could say remember them when you vote. Sadly it doesn't matter who you vote for in the US. Both parties want war.

My sympathies and condolences to all those stuck serving war criminals.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 There are very few who can

There are very few who can put on that uniform and handle it. I am not one of those people.  I did know of two atheists who did serve. Met both at a unitarian Church. One has since died, but served in WW2 in Europe and one who served in Vietnam. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
^ Brian can't handle

^ Brian can't handle anything. Joining the military might actually do him some good, by forcing him to grow up and stop being an ignorant little bitch.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Thanks

Beyond Saving wrote:

Awww, I love you too.

------

Being as honest as possible, I get uncomfortable whenever people thank me for my service irl; I want to say:

"Ma'am, I don't feel like I deserve your thanks. Thank someone else that actually puts their life on the line and is miserable every day. I have a desk job. The most dangerous thing I do every day is drive in my car. Even on deployment, I still had a desk job on the ship, and the most dangerous thing I've done is probably go outside during high winds and seas. My weapons are pens, keyboards and mouses. My enemies are Microsoft Powerpoint and networking issues. I get to travel a lot, and traveling is one of my favorite things in the world. Before the Navy, I'd been to 3 countries. Now I've been to 11. I'm living in Japan right now, and Japan was number 2 on my bucket list. Not to mention, I get a ton of time off, and I'm not talking about leave (vacations) (with the exception of deployments).

For this, I receive enough taxpayers money every month to live in my own apartment as a single guy, have my own car, eat whatever I want, drink, play and do whatever I want, and still have enough left over to invest a significant percentage of my income in Roth IRAs, stack silver, buy bank certificates, and throw money at stocks, bonds, and charities, all at the same time. 

We have such a large volunteer military, and I doubt the main reason nowadays is because we are sooo patriotic. I joined primarily because I dropped out of college and needed to make a living, not because of some vague idealistic sentiment like 'serve my country' or 'defend freedom and justice.' That's not to say I don't support this country. Heck, I'll take the United States over Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, ISIS, etc. any day of the week. But, that's not really why I joined."

....but 99% of the time, I just say 'thank you' back at them, somewhat sheepishly. And, while they think I am just being humble, I mean it. I am embarassed to receive their thanks. I don't deserve it. They deserve mine.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Beyond

butterbattle wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Awww, I love you too.

------

Being as honest as possible, I get uncomfortable whenever people thank me for my service irl; I want to say:

"Ma'am, I don't feel like I deserve your thanks. Thank someone else that actually puts their life on the line and is miserable every day. I have a desk job. The most dangerous thing I do every day is drive in my car. Even on deployment, I still had a desk job on the ship, and the most dangerous thing I've done is probably go outside during high winds and seas. My weapons are pens, keyboards and mouses. My enemies are Microsoft Powerpoint and networking issues. I get to travel a lot, and traveling is one of my favorite things in the world. Before the Navy, I'd been to 3 countries. Now I've been to 11. I'm living in Japan right now, and Japan was number 2 on my bucket list. Not to mention, I get a ton of time off, and I'm not talking about leave (vacations) (with the exception of deployments).

For this, I receive enough taxpayers money every month to live in my own apartment as a single guy, have my own car, eat whatever I want, drink, play and do whatever I want, and still have enough left over to invest a significant percentage of my income in Roth IRAs, stack silver, buy bank certificates, and throw money at stocks, bonds, and charities, all at the same time. 

We have such a large volunteer military, and I doubt the main reason nowadays is because we are sooo patriotic. I joined primarily because I dropped out of college and needed to make a living, not because of some vague idealistic sentiment like 'serve my country' or 'defend freedom and justice.' That's not to say I don't support this country. Heck, I'll take the United States over Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, ISIS, etc. any day of the week. But, that's not really why I joined."

....but 99% of the time, I just say 'thank you' back at them, somewhat sheepishly. And, while they think I am just being humble, I mean it. I am embarassed to receive their thanks. I don't deserve it. They deserve mine.

Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I joined to get the fuck away from my dad and chose the corps primarily because I figured the uniform gave me the best chance to get laid. The bulk of my service was being the opfor in training exercises. I got paid to shoot guns I couldn't afford, burn tens of thousands of dollars worth of ammunition, play war games, in one of the most beautiful areas in the world. It was most embarrassing after 9/11 because I was out, but still very obviously military and the weekend warrior patriots and chicken hawks were tripping all over themselves. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bet it was good for business

Bet it was good for business

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I admire anyone who

I admire anyone who is willing to voluntarilly risk their life in service to their country, no matter the branch of service.  I can't stand smarmy, maudlin types of patriotism, though.  Still, I do get choked up with emotion up at certain times.  Parades, flags and speeches don't affect me at all.   The last time I was overcome with a feeling of true patriotism was simply when I watched an F-16 take a short trip down a runway ( I live right next to a military installation ) and then suddenly point the nose upward and just fucking shoot straight up into the clouds.  It was a feeling of pride because I felt like that was one of our guys.   I actually got a little weepy.

Edit:  I should ad that I am deeply suspicious of the US government itself and have no faith that it's regulatory aspirations will ever be sufficiently reigned in regarding its own citizenry.   We are less free now than we have ever been and that trend will continue virtually unabated until there's nothing left to regulate.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Vastet wrote:^ Brian can't

Vastet wrote:
^ Brian can't handle anything. Joining the military might actually do him some good, by forcing him to grow up and stop being an ignorant little bitch.

Hate to tell you this Vastet, but testosterone and guns and bravado were not arround at the big bang, and will be just as meaningless when our planet dies. No I cant handle military service, so? I would find it more important for our species to seek to reduce war, not worship testosterone.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hate to tell

Brian37 wrote:

Hate to tell you this Vastet, but testosterone and guns and bravado were not arround at the big bang, and will be just as meaningless when our planet dies.

Once again Brian is a sexist piece of shit. Being a soldier has nothing to do with testosterone or bravado.

But I suppose when you are a piece of shit you have to diss people who aren't to make yourself feel better

Quote:

No I cant handle military service, so?

So you are a leach who sucks from society and are incapable of actually contributing anything useful. That you are an arrogant sanctimonious prick who runs down those who do contribute is sickening. That you get on your moral high horse is almost comedic.

Quote:

I would find it more important for our species to seek to reduce war, not worship testosterone.

Unfortunately, your dumb ass keeps voting for people who send our soldiers into wars. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hate to tell

Brian37 wrote:
Hate to tell you this Vastet, but testosterone and guns and bravado were not arround at the big bang, and will be just as meaningless when our planet dies.

More red herrings and strawmen from Brian. Also more claims he can't prove.

Brian37 wrote:

After 6 months in boot camp, anyone can handle military service as well as most people can handle military service.

Brian37 wrote:
I would find it more important for our species to seek to reduce war, not worship testosterone.

Brian is delusional. War is the nature of the universe. Hormones are irrelevant.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
After 6 months in boot camp, anyone can handle military service as well as most people can handle military service.

I have to agree with Brian. He would never make it through boot camp. Most people who fail boot, fail because of injuries or medical problems, but there are always a couple percent who simply give up and go sit in the corner in the fetal position crying until they get a bus ticket home. I am quite confident that he would make the bottom 1%. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't mess halls need

Don't mess halls need dishwashers? 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's the guy that

There's the guy that screams, "Fuck this! I can't do this anymore!!11one," the first day he has to do push-ups, then runs away in no particular direction, sobbing, with one shoe on, and is tackled to the ground before he gets out of the building. There's that guy.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Give him the biggest dick

Give him the biggest dick drill sergeant in history who doesn't have many laws to consider and he'd get it done. Just a matter of destroying the old personality. Idiots with loud mouths like Brian might break down crying the first day, but that's why they wouldn't be hard to destroy and remake. Only a real asshole who's both intelligent and knowledgeable, and really doesn't give a fuck, has any chance of getting out of mandatory military service without being ripped apart.
A dumb ass like Brian would spend the first couple weeks bawling every day, but then he'd break.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Give him the

Vastet wrote:
Give him the biggest dick drill sergeant in history who doesn't have many laws to consider and he'd get it done. Just a matter of destroying the old personality. Idiots with loud mouths like Brian might break down crying the first day, but that's why they wouldn't be hard to destroy and remake. Only a real asshole who's both intelligent and knowledgeable, and really doesn't give a fuck, has any chance of getting out of mandatory military service without being ripped apart. A dumb ass like Brian would spend the first couple weeks bawling every day, but then he'd break.

Would you stand next to shit for brains holding a frag? That is what we used to call a shit chute to fly paradise.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The 'testosterone' filled

The 'testosterone' filled Marines, women who intimidate the puss nuts.