letter to Old Seer

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
letter to Old Seer

Old Seer,

I would like to know your story. Not your cults story, your story.

I will give you mine.

Growing up, I was in a traditional catholic household, going to public school. I was the "average" kid. I played sports, video games (RPG's mostly, which have significant references to pagan religions), hung out with friends, etc. I claimed catholicism, but that was it (as most catholics do). After high school, I joined Navy. 

During this time from high school to my beginnings in the Navy, I explored my sexuality, and found pleasure in same sex. I was in "A" school, and I was invited one Sunday to a local Baptist church, and I really enjoyed it, and the guy that invited me, prayed with me, and asked me to invite Jesus into my heart, I did that.

From that point on, I received what was like an awareness, and my "activities" tore me up inside. A little later down the road, I was invited to a United Pentecostal church, where I spent the next 8 years. I thought I had the "in" while I was there, but I was still living in sin. I read the Bible, but I trusted the preaching too much. Still when I would do the "activities" I would have the weight of guilt.

when I left that area, I decided I wanted to try Christian Mingle, which is where I met my now wife. She has a dedication to God and her faith, it is so strong. We looked for a church together, and came across a huge and popular non denominational church. BTW I left my previous church because I met some really strong Christians while out at sea that showed me that I was in legalism, and I started truly searching the scripture.

now, really being in the scripture had really helped with my walk. I was super nervous about my past though, which she didn't discover till 4 months into marriage, and it almost led to divorce. We both, separately spent time in the scripture, and sought after God, and after about a 2 month "separation" we came back together and realized the commitment we made, and that through Christ we can make it. 

Now 3 years later we are still happy and have 2 wonderful kids. When we moved to a new location we tried a few churches, and when we found the right one, a community driven church with a pastor that preaches verse by verse, we settled there.

even though it took me a while, going from liberal to legalistic, to as scriptural based as possible, being in the scripture seeing things for myself, I have drawn closer to God. I am not perfect, but I desire to be closer to God every day because of what He has done for me.

now your turn. Also I would really like to correspond.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:There is no

Vastet wrote:
There is no such thing as a false emotional state. Emotions are measurable chemical reactions to stimulae.

says the neurologist....

You misunderstand me. Never did I say anything about lack of chemical reaction.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indecision hesitation . . It was a Trap

Re ::  Indecision .. hesitation . .  It was a Trap (SEE/View Images)

^

> Nu # 99  

View Uploads --

Proverbs XX:25 - It is a trap for a man to say rashly, “It is holy!” And after the vows to make inquiry. 

p.p.s. --   And,  Yes,  Apparently, I really needed to post  it (See:: Images) !!

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Most

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Most people in today's modern age are selfish. We live in a....blah blah blah.....or false happiness.

If atheists have no emotion, they cannot experience fear.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear#Religion 

I would be "happy" about not experiencing fear except I don't have emotions so instead I am just mildly amused.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Most people in today's modern age are selfish. We live in a....blah blah blah.....or false happiness.

If atheists have no emotion, they cannot experience fear.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear#Religion 

I would be "happy" about not experiencing fear except I don't have emotions so instead I am just mildly amused.

You can be happy though. 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:You can

JesusLovesYou wrote:
You can be happy though. 

By joining your cult ?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Vastet

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Vastet wrote:
There is no such thing as a false emotional state. Emotions are measurable chemical reactions to stimulae.

says the neurologist....

You misunderstand me. Never did I say anything about lack of chemical reaction.

I don't misunderstand anything. You simply don't know anything about emotional states.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

(No subject)

Edit :: (( Edit  Added the two images at bottom (Theme related), so edited!! ))

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:
You can be happy though. 

By joining your cult ?

Joining cults not required. Building relationship with Christ 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Joining

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Joining cults not required. Building relationship with Christ 

Joining the "Christ" cult.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
its all about the

its all about the relationship, not cultish behavior.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:its all

JesusLovesYou wrote:

A relationship with a cult. 

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

A relationship with a cult. 

We are talking about THE CREATOR, JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOUR, not some cult institution, not some weird group of wierdos.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:We are

JesusLovesYou wrote:

We are talking about THE CREATOR, JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOUR, not some cult institution, not some weird group of wierdos.

All cults believe their own doctrines are absolute truth, and you're pretty weird.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

All cults believe their own doctrines are absolute truth, and you're pretty weird.

not talking about any doctrine, creed, dance, statue, la-de-da.

Just trust and love for our Savior

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pirouette .. sure sure, perseverance and some sweet oil

Re :: Pirouette .. sure sure, perseverance  & sweet oil

( Three Single  Image(s), and one I got a laugh out of,  are the comment, for now ) ::

The Follow~ing, it simply made me laugh, the caption reads "Now Nothing can save Greenland!" (don't worry about it, really, not everything is a 'pun', veiled, or disguised reference , hun) ::

Hehe . .

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Just

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Just trust and love for our Savior

Okay then, the "Trust and Love for Our Savior®" cult.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lolololol Seems you hit a

lolololol

Seems you hit a nerve. Funny how cultists can only recognise a cult that they aren't actually a member of.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Seems like my good buddy

Seems like my good buddy the seer has left the building

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is no reason to believe he wont turn up or is there ?

^ There is no reason to believe he wont turn up  or is there ?

Misc Images (Misc.) --  See :: Uploaded Images, them each  . .

p.s. -- N o t e  ::  Old Seer once wrote ''(Quote) . . The Israelites saw God as spiritual not material . .''

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote: During

JesusLovesYou wrote:

During this time from high school to my beginnings in the Navy, I explored my sexuality, and found pleasure in same sex. I was in "A" school, and I was invited one Sunday to a local Baptist church, and I really enjoyed it, and the guy that invited me, prayed with me, and asked me to invite Jesus into my heart, I did that.

Sigh, ...you remind me of two former friends of mine that I had known since we were teenagers in the 1970's.   Both of them were tormented by a sense of guilt because of their admittedly weird sexual paraphilias.  One friend, Shane was secretely a transvestite, my other friend, Brad had a weird sexual attraction to Barbie Dolls and used them to masturbate with ( I don't know how ).   Both of them became Christian fanatics which only made them even more weird as they massively over-compensated for their sense of shame by becoming annoying zealots....much like yourself.

JesusLovesYou wrote:
From that point on, I received what was like an awareness, and my "activities" tore me up inside. A little later down the road, I was invited to a United Pentecostal church, where I spent the next 8 years. I thought I had the "in" while I was there, but I was still living in sin. I read the Bible, but I trusted the preaching too much. Still when I would do the "activities" I would have the weight of guilt.

Well what a surprise.

JesusLovesYou wrote:
when I left that area, I decided I wanted to try Christian Mingle, which is where I met my now wife. She has a dedication to God and her faith, it is so strong. We looked for a church together, and came across a huge and popular non denominational church. BTW I left my previous church because I met some really strong Christians while out at sea that showed me that I was in legalism, and I started truly searching the scripture.

Hopping from one Christian sect to another ...happens all the time among protestants.  I should know, I was a committed, bible-believing protestant Christian from age 15 until age 40.

JesusLovesyou wrote:
now, really being in the scripture had really helped with my walk. I was super nervous about my past though, which she didn't discover till 4 months into marriage, and it almost led to divorce. We both, separately spent time in the scripture, and sought after God, and after about a 2 month "separation" we came back together and realized the commitment we made, and that through Christ we can make it.

You were an inconsiderate jerk to your Christian wife for keeping that from her until after she agreed to marry you.  I hope she slapped the shit out of you.

JesusLovesYou wrote:
Now 3 years later we are still happy and have 2 wonderful kids. When we moved to a new location we tried a few churches, and when we found the right one, a community driven church with a pastor that preaches verse by verse, we settled there.

even though it took me a while, going from liberal to legalistic, to as scriptural based as possible, being in the scripture seeing things for myself, I have drawn closer to God. I am not perfect, but I desire to be closer to God every day because of what He has done for me.

Both of my former friends are married, too. I guess it helps them feel "normal".   Personally I don't give a shit if they're a little weird, I've got some emotional baggage of my own.  Nevertheless, I disowned them for being judgemental ass holes not for being kinky behind closed doors.

PS,        I've always loved Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo.   This song reminds me of you.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdWSwKITQk

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Say, who are the people in your neighborhood?

re ::  Oooo  Say, who are the people in your neighborhood?

View Uploaded Image/Images ::

Above  I believe it was posted on or near April First's  April Fools Day  post,  I think!

p.p.s. --  The puzzles worth doing are ones you are devoted to ( note:: In the Greek the term is proskarteréō which means "to continue to do something with intense effort'' )!!

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Broken link to image, may need to search for it unfortunately ::

Broken link to or not loading in some browsers to an image, the original Url was as follows :: http://i.imgur.com/4RdFq3T.jpg

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Old Seer,   In John 1, a

Old Seer,

In John 1, a scripture that you like to reference, John uses the Greek word Logos, which in English translates to word, but indicated by verse 14, John meant so much more than the Hellenistic definition of Logos.

what did John mean by personifying Logos, and saying that it became man and dwelt among us?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote: Old

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Old Seer,

In John 1, a scripture that you like to reference, John uses the Greek word Logos, which in English translates to word, but indicated by verse 14, John meant so much more than the Hellenistic definition of Logos.

what did John mean by personifying Logos, and saying that it became man and dwelt among us?

Go peddle your Jesus cult somewhere else you freak.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

why did you become an atheist? There has to be a catalyst that sent you down this path.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
and Old Seer, Here is a

and Old Seer,

Here is a link to a site all about Hellenistic Judaism, and more specifically, Logos.

http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/mine/hum_judaism.htm

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:why did

JesusLovesYou wrote:

why did you become an atheist? There has to be a catalyst that sent you down this path.

First, I was raised to believe the Bible was without error  ... of any kind.   I investigated ( while still believing in inerrancy ) and found the "answers" from Christian aplologists like Norman Geisler and others to be disingenous, and wholly unsatisfactory.   They offered the kind of mushy non-answers that Bill Clinton would be proud of. 

Also the claims of moral absolutes are hard to swallow when many heroes of the Old Testament ( the Jewish Bible ) who marrried their half-sisters ( Abraham and Sarah ) , or married their first cousins, who happened to also be sisters ( Jacob marrying Rachel and Leah ) and then humping the maids ( Bilah and Zilpah ) all with God's blessing as he was answering the sister / wive's  prayers.  That means the Twelve Tribes of Israel ( of Jacob ) were the product of incest and fornication.  Or the wholesale slaughter of infants, pregnant women, ( Hosea 13:16 ), old people, even animals ( what were the animals guilty of ? ).    The same Christians who would defend their biblical heroes..who were in fact being obedient to God...would loudly condemn the similar actions of ISIS or Al Qaeda, who also slaughter the same types of victims ( homosexuals, adulters, infidels ,etc ) because of their similar religious doctrines. 

While still a Christian I began to seek the truth about my own religious beliefs but I decided I was not going to turn away from the results if my investigation didn't turn out the way I had hoped it would.  It didn't. 

For 25 years my religious faith comforted me but once I got away from the echo chamber of fellow Christians, apologists, etc I discovered that I had been lied to.  Christianity is just as much a false religion as any religion that Christians themselves like to trash.  In my world, truth is defined by reality not religion.   It's a hard world to live in. My support system ( my faith in God ) was stripped away but I wasn't going to cling to something I could no longer put my trust in. 

There is nothing you could say to shed new light.  Nothing.  Besides, I most likely concluded my journey of faith before you even began yours.  Anyway, I consulted my own pastor, pro-biblical resources, my parents, every one who I thought might give me an answer that wasn't some improvised, ad hoc "answer".   I wasn't looking for reasons to jettison my faith, I was looking for reasons to keep it.

I became a reluctant atheist, and I discovered that unvarnished truth didn't care if the answers I needed didn't line up with reality.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

First, I was raised to believe the Bible was without error  ... of any kind.   I investigated ( while still believing in inerrancy ) and found the "answers" from Christian aplologists like Norman Geisler and others to be disingenous, and wholly unsatisfactory.   They offered the kind of mushy non-answers that Bill Clinton would be proud of. 

Also the claims of moral absolutes are hard to swallow when many heroes of the Old Testament ( the Jewish Bible ) who marrried their half-sisters ( Abraham and Sarah ) , or married their first cousins, who happened to also be sisters ( Jacob marrying Rachel and Leah ) and then humping the maids ( Bilah and Zilpah ) all with God's blessing as he was answering the sister / wive's  prayers.  That means the Twelve Tribes of Israel ( of Jacob ) were the product of incest and fornication.  Or the wholesale slaughter of infants, pregnant women, ( Hosea 13:16 ), old people, even animals ( what were the animals guilty of ? ).    The same Christians who would defend their biblical heroes..who were in fact being obedient to God...would loudly condemn the similar actions of ISIS or Al Qaeda, who also slaughter the same types of victims ( homosexuals, adulters, infidels ,etc ) because of their similar religious doctrines. 

While still a Christian I began to seek the truth about my own religious beliefs but I decided I was not going to turn away from the results if my investigation didn't turn out the way I had hoped it would.  It didn't. 

For 25 years my religious faith comforted me but once I got away from the echo chamber of fellow Christians, apologists, etc I discovered that I had been lied to.  Christianity is just as much a false religion as any religion that Christians themselves like to trash.  In my world, truth is defined by reality not religion.   It's a hard world to live in. My support system ( my faith in God ) was stripped away but I wasn't going to cling to something I could no longer put my trust in. 

There is nothing you could say to shed new light.  Nothing.  Besides, I most likely concluded my journey of faith before you even began yours.  Anyway, I consulted my own pastor, pro-biblical resources, my parents, every one who I thought might give me an answer that wasn't some improvised, ad hoc "answer".   I wasn't looking for reasons to jettison my faith, I was looking for reasons to keep it.

I became a reluctant atheist, and I discovered that unvarnished truth didn't care if the answers I needed didn't line up with reality.

nobody ever said anybody is perfect. Only Christ is perfect. I feel you pain, and understand where you are coming from, but Christ can be your true comfort.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:nobody

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I feel you pain, and understand where you are coming from...

A. )  You still cling to a comforting myth that I have since discarded

B. )  You are still a "True Believer", I am an apostate.  

C. )  I have been where you are, you have never been where I am now. 

D. )  There is no overlap in our experiences

E. )  You understand nothing.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:nobody

JesusLovesYou wrote:

nobody ever said anybody is perfect. Only Christ is perfect.

The issue that you are attempting to sweep under the rug is that none of the unsavory behavior that I had cited was ever an example for Divine correction.  The perpetrators, be they Abraham, Joshua, Jacob / Israel, etc were ever singled out for punishment by God for the gross activities that you would comdemn today.  

Owning slaves was okay ( as long as you didn't beat them to death ),

marrying close relatives, even if they were siblings, was okay ( incest ),

taking multiple wives was okay ( polygamy ),

having sex with concubines was okay ( fornication )

Infanticide was okay (  dead babies went to heaven anyway )

wars of religious extermination was okay ( it's God's will ! )

These weren't activities scorned by God and being "imperfect" had nothing to do with it. 

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I feel you pain, and understand where you are coming from...

A. )  You still cling to a comforting myth that I have since discarded

B. )  You are still a "True Believer", I am an apostate.  

C. )  I have been where you are, you have never been where I am now. 

D. )  There is no overlap in our experiences

E. )  You understand nothing.

you are a good person PDW, and God loves you so very much. Hope is not lost. He can be your eternal comfort.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:you are

JesusLovesYou wrote:

you are a good person PDW, and God loves you so very much. Hope is not lost. He can be your eternal comfort.

Then I suggest you read Hebrews 6:4-6.   Oh...but then that brings up the question of whether your particular protestant sect holds to the doctrine of "once saved always saved" or if you even believe that this passage even applies to "True Christians®".   It doesn't matter really, any point of view regarding this particular scripture can be proven to be the correct one, it just depends on which "biblical" camp you belong to.

So now I'm a good person in your eyes ?  I'll have to go back and revisit your The Threat of Atheism thread again and examine common atheist flaws to get some "context".   Pffft, don't patronize me.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Then I suggest you read Hebrews 6:4-6.   Oh...but then that brings up the question of whether your particular protestant sect holds to the doctrine of "once saved always saved" or if you even believe that this passage even applies to "True Christians®".   It doesn't matter really, any point of view regarding this particular scripture can be proven to be the correct one, it just depends on which "biblical" camp you belong to.

So now I'm a good person in your eyes ?  I'll have to go back and revisit your The Threat of Atheism thread again and examine common atheist flaws to get some "context".   Pffft, don't patronize me.

Ok. Here is the thing about "once saved always saved".  "I'm saved" is such a cookie cutter term these days. There are millions of people that say "I'm saved" that aren't truly saved. If a person is truly saved, beyond the shadow of a doubt, then they are "always saved" because their salvation has led them to repentance and sanctification of their soul. Then you got those that are "saved" because someone told them to get on their knees and say a prayer. So the question remains, I cannot answer it for you though, was you salvation beyond the shadow of a doubt true?

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Two or Double Arrow(s) Up

^ Reply to JLY's remark, above, on the 15TH Nu.  #133

No Comment ( Well maybe an image though) ::

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Everyone is born an atheist.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:JesusLovesYou

Vastet wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Nobody can be born an atheist. You can't have any religious affiliation at birth.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Nobody

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Nobody can be born an atheist. You can't have any religious affiliation at birth.

exactly. nobody believes in any god until they're taught to, ergo they begin as atheists.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:JesusLovesYou

iwbiek wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

exactly. nobody believes in any god until they're taught to, ergo they begin as atheists.

No they cannot be. Atheism is a religious affiliation. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:iwbiek

JesusLovesYou wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

After you catch up on the last couple thousand years of history, you might want to brush up on your English. 

www.learnenglish.de/grammar/prefixtext.html

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

After you catch up on the last couple thousand years of history, you might want to brush up on your English. 

theism is not the only qualification for a person being religious.

the concept of this website, the pride on atheism so much that all of you want to see it spread is just as religious as me, any jew, muslim, hindu, 5 percenter, deist, etc.....

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Vastet wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Atheist literally means not theist. No atheist can have any religious affiliation, by definition. Noone can be anything BUT an atheist at birth.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Beyond

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

the concept of this website, the pride on atheism so much that all of you want to see it spread is just as religious as me, any jew, muslim, hindu, 5 percenter, deist, etc.....

Ridiculous. This website wouldn't exist if not for idiots peddling fairy tales as if they were fact. Opposition of religion cannot be religious. It's literally impossible.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Beyond

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

You didn't say, "nobody can be born anti-religious" you said "nobody can be born atheist"- theism: the belief in a deity or deities. Atheism: not believing in a deity or deities. Religion, organized or otherwise, has nothing to do with it. Nobody is born believing in a deity, thus all people are born atheist. There are atheistic religions, although the people on this site tend to anti-religion in addition to being atheist. Atheism is nothing more than the absence of belief in deities. Troll loses again. This is like playing Doom with god mode. 

PS to Vastet, I heard a rumor that they are coming out with a new version of Doom, is that true? Might have to get myself a gaming system 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is true. Currently slated

It is true. Currently slated for 2016, for PS4, XB1, and PC. Looks pretty sweet. Bethesda is the publisher, but id is still the developer (fortunately).

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Vastet wrote:
JesusLovesYou wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

no, atheism is not a religion. there are two definitions of "religion": anthropological and philosophical. the anthropological definition is "an institution consisting of culturally patterned interaction with culturally postulated superhuman beings." the philosophical definition is "a therapeutic solution to a universal, fundamental problem beyond the empirical realm." "atheism" fits neither.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheism IS a religion. The

Atheism IS a religion. The world considers atheism a religion. The only people that claim it is not, are athiests. I can call an apple an orange all I want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an apple.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:Atheism

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Atheism IS a religion. The world considers atheism a religion. The only people that claim it is not, are athiests. I can call an apple an orange all I want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an apple.

Atheism is NOT a religion, and only morons who failed English think otherwise.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:I can

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I can call an apple an orange all I want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is an apple.

And yet you continue calling an apple an orange. For all your bragging about your intelligence, you display little of it. 

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Links to atheism as a religion

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, well, have fun defining

Ok, well, have fun defining words in whatever fucking way you want. If atheism is a religion then my wristwatch is a persimmon.

--Hunter S. Thompson