"Connected" is crap be it religious mythology or si fi woo.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
"Connected" is crap be it religious mythology or si fi woo.

Be it an atheist version, or part of some sects of Asian/Oriental or Indian religions.

There are people with gods or godless who have a really stupid idea that "all this" is connected. Some think of it as cognitive or even if not cognitive, somehow living. 

No sorry guys, neither new age si fi thinking or mixing it with old mythology makes the universe all "connected". It is true that all this started in one tiny dense space. But that was then. None of us have any connection now, to an electron or quark or atom on the furthest galaxies away from us. There has been since the big bang, tons of speed and separation. 

It is still a watered down way of dreaming of being infinite. This universe is not a living thing, living things in it are an outcome, not a requirement or starting point or cause. The universe is uncaring like a our atmosphere on this planet, you can have sunny days, but you can also have hurricanes and tornados. The universe is vastly hostile and violent, we only perceive it as calm because we don't think about it's long term history. 

So even without thinking of it as a god, it is still stupid to get stuck on even a si fi pretty. Yes there are pretty things in the universe. And it is even freaky to think of all the matter starting in the same spot. But no, I really wish people would stop letting their emotions allow them to think an object, a giant weather pattern, somehow is capable of giving one shit about humans. 

"All this" is a giant weather pattern and we are merely a finite blip riding in it. It is ok to have a deep appreciation for what we observe. But please do not turn it into a mythology, religion or even a Star Trek episode. Science and nature are awesome without old woo or new woo.

I think it is awesome to think about the fact that I do not contain one single atom from when I was a sperm and egg or even a baby. I think it is awesome to think about neutrinos and black holes and red giants. I do not feel in any case the need to turn it into a god or a si fi movie.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
^ Brian37 posts a dozen odd

^ Brian37 posts a dozen odd links and excepts that prove he still doesn't understand the discussion and does nothing for his argument.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: You

Beyond Saving wrote:

You would flunk the Turing test.

Lol!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 http://physics.aps.org/stor

http://physics.aps.org/story/v9/st27

article wrote:
So what does any of this mean? At the very least, the numbers represent the most computing the Universe could have supported, or the minimum size of a computation for simulating the Universe, Lloyd notes. More interestingly, he says, the fact that the ops calculation from information theory and the bits calculation from quantum gravity gave equivalent results “suggests that we can go on being hopeful that there’s a connection out there” between quantum gravity and computation. The Universe’s program could be thought of as the primordial quantum fluctuations that seeded the formation of galaxies, he says. “It’s not running Windows or Linux, and we hope that it never shall.”

So again, "all this" is not a "program" like some want to think. 

"IT IS NOT RUNNING WINDOWS OR LINUX, AND WE HOPE THAT IT NEVER SHALL"

Just so some assholes here think I left this out the article is from 2002. Yes some time has passed. But I was deliberately lying.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

http://physics.aps.org/story/v9/st27

article wrote:
So what does any of this mean? At the very least, the numbers represent the most computing the Universe could have supported, or the minimum size of a computation for simulating the Universe, Lloyd notes. More interestingly, he says, the fact that the ops calculation from information theory and the bits calculation from quantum gravity gave equivalent results “suggests that we can go on being hopeful that there’s a connection out there” between quantum gravity and computation. The Universe’s program could be thought of as the primordial quantum fluctuations that seeded the formation of galaxies, he says. “It’s not running Windows or Linux, and we hope that it never shall.”

So again, "all this" is not a "program" like some want to think. 

"IT IS NOT RUNNING WINDOWS OR LINUX, AND WE HOPE THAT IT NEVER SHALL"

Just so some assholes here think I left this out the article is from 2002. Yes some time has passed. But I was deliberately lying.

ginger beer

blue caracao

squeeze of lime

build on the rocks in a collins glass

top with angostora bitters to taste

As long as we are just making random posts, they might as well be useful. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Now once again this

Now once again this "dumbass" is going to quote a SIENTIST, who agrees with me that people are jumping the gun Say hello to Laurance Krauss once again. And in this video he says the same thing I am saying, "Whatever you want to call this" a perpose is not required, and all the evidence is pointing away from a creative entity doing all this. So again, he is saying what I am saying  when science talks about something it is mathmatically and when they talk about it to "DIPSHITS" like me, words like "Hologram" and "simulate" are metaphors of what something would look like if we could see it at that level, not literal "code" like windows. So again, if the universe has no God as a cognative perpose, why would a "cosmic Bill Gates" fit in any better if any of this had a "perpose".

TIME STAMP 5:19 Basically saing none of this has a purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYA9SOJzXk

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Now once

Brian37 wrote:

Now once again this "dumbass" is going to quote a SIENTIST, who agrees with me that people are jumping the gun Say hello to Laurance Krauss once again. And in this video he says the same thing I am saying, "Whatever you want to call this" a perpose is not required, and all the evidence is pointing away from a creative entity doing all this. So again, he is saying what I am saying  when science talks about something it is mathmatically and when they talk about it to "DIPSHITS" like me, words like "Hologram" and "simulate" are metaphors of what something would look like if we could see it at that level, not literal "code" like windows. So again, if the universe has no God as a cognative perpose, why would a "cosmic Bill Gates" fit in any better if any of this had a "perpose".

TIME STAMP 5:19 Basically saing none of this has a purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYA9SOJzXk

Oh, still random unrelated posts?

2 parts vodka

1 part Disaronno

Splash of cranberry or pomegranate juice

Serve in a rocks glass

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
goddammit, brian, you

goddammit, brian, you fucking lying piece of shit. why don't you address a single point beyond made? who are you arguing with????

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's like I said, Brian

It's like I said, Brian creates labelled portraits of other people based on a first impression and then talks to those portraits as if they were really there.

He should probably be an in-patient at the psych ward.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Beyond

butterbattle wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

You would flunk the Turing test.

Lol!

LOL x 2

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian,For inciting a riot of

Brian,

For inciting a riot of your peers I sentence you to banishment from communicating with others.

All your future posts and threads will be ignored by all other users, except theists and other morons.

From this point on your title will be "The one who we do not speak to"

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:goddammit,

iwbiek wrote:
goddammit, brian, you fucking lying piece of shit. why don't you address a single point beyond made? who are you arguing with????

Clearly it is far more important to protect the world from the vast contigents of simulationists before they take over the world. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lolololololololololololol

lolololololololololololol