Becoming the top 1% (with a bottom 10% job)

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Becoming the top 1% (with a bottom 10% job)

http://www.today.com/news/secret-millionaire-janitor-bequeaths-fortune-vermont-hospital-library-2D80476931

A man who worked as a gas station attendent and then a part time janitor his entire life died being worth $8 million + dollars. News reports are calling him a "stock whiz", but not so much. He invested in well entrenched large blue chip companies that paid dividends- the kind that "stock whizes" often criticize people for investing in because you miss out on the 100X growth potential of a good midnight internet corp. He wasn't making risky picks, he wasn't riding bubbles, he was simply very frugal and invested a large percentage of his paycheck.

For those who have scoffed at me when I have suggested that even a low wage worker can become a fairly significant owner of corporations- see I told you so. Being part of the 1% isn't about income, there are many doctors, actors, lawyers and athletes who die broke. Income does not translate directly into wealth (although it doesn't hurt obviously).  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hah, you're just too elitist

Hah, you're just too elitist to understand the suffering of the average hourly wage worker. Masturbate to your upper class privilege while gushing capitalist propaganda more; that's what evolution tells you to do. 

/s

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's like my ex-stepfather,

it's like my ex-stepfather, a multi-millionaire car dealer who literally came from nothing, used to say: he never turned anyone away. other dealerships would ignore these old farmers in tattered overalls, but he knew that 9 times out of 10 every pocket of those overalls was stuffed with $100 bills and they would be ready to drop $60,000 cash on a brand new, fully loaded jeep.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

http://www.today.com/news/secret-millionaire-janitor-bequeaths-fortune-vermont-hospital-library-2D80476931

A man who worked as a gas station attendent and then a part time janitor his entire life died being worth $8 million + dollars. News reports are calling him a "stock whiz", but not so much. He invested in well entrenched large blue chip companies that paid dividends- the kind that "stock whizes" often criticize people for investing in because you miss out on the 100X growth potential of a good midnight internet corp. He wasn't making risky picks, he wasn't riding bubbles, he was simply very frugal and invested a large percentage of his paycheck.

For those who have scoffed at me when I have suggested that even a low wage worker can become a fairly significant owner of corporations- see I told you so. Being part of the 1% isn't about income, there are many doctors, actors, lawyers and athletes who die broke. Income does not translate directly into wealth (although it doesn't hurt obviously).  

I agree with you on this because I have an uncle who is like that guy who died. My uncle never had very much in the way of money or high paying jobs. He saved his money and invested over the long run he came out ahead when it was time to retire.

Ever watch 30 for 30? They have a episode called 'Broke'. It is amazing how many professional athletes go broke right after they leave the sport. Jamal Lewis just sold off his honorary superbowl ring because he is broke already.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The exceptions not the

The exceptions not the rule. Yes Beyond likes to tell that rags to riches story like a dead clechi. What he does not like to tell you and refuses to accept himself is that most people will not get rich. Most people if lucky keep a roof over their heads and manage to pay their bills and work for someone else.

And he wont accept that while some do get to the top. they did not do it all by themselves. That is physically impossible. The bulk of the work of a society is the workers not the owner. And even if moving up the top it is never all hard work or all luck, but a combo of both. 

Now here he comes with the stupid repetitive bullshit crap, "You hate wealth". Nope, I hate idiots who don't accept reality.

Trickle down did not work. The pay gap is too big. And we do not need to be funding corporate welfare.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: The

Brian37 wrote:

The exceptions not the rule. Yes Beyond likes to tell that rags to riches story like a dead clechi. What he does not like to tell you and refuses to accept himself is that most people will not get rich. Most people if lucky keep a roof over their heads and manage to pay their bills and work for someone else.

And he wont accept that while some do get to the top. they did not do it all by themselves. That is physically impossible. The bulk of the work of a society is the workers not the owner. And even if moving up the top it is never all hard work or all luck, but a combo of both. 

Now here he comes with the stupid repetitive bullshit crap, "You hate wealth". Nope, I hate idiots who don't accept reality.

Trickle down did not work. The pay gap is too big. And we do not need to be funding corporate welfare.

I hear Occupy Wall Street is accepting applications, Brian.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:

I don't understand your response Brian. What do you gain from posting this?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
I like the part about "knew

I like the part about "knew the value of a free public library in a community and society".

Where I live the county tried to sell off the local library to a private company. While I understand the purpose, the library is used for more than just reading books. The local scouts, girl scouts, kid's puppet shows, cooking classes, etc are all done in the conference rooms at the library. If they were to sell off the service and privatize it you would have to pay a yearly fee to access it, which would be more costly in the long run because costs aren't spread out over the tax payers.

Kids and families go to the library to use the Internet, research and take part of social interaction. While the idea of the Internet seems counter productive for a library I feel they still have a place in our society. There is a connection to humanity by having a book in your hand and having to change pages rather than use a pad to read a digital copy.

Needless to say the initiative failed 9 to 1 on the ballot.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:

The exceptions not the rule. Yes Beyond likes to tell that rags to riches story like a dead clechi. What he does not like to tell you and refuses to accept himself is that most people will not get rich.

Yeah, because MOST people (in America) blow their entire paycheck. This guy didn't and it had predictable results. He didn't get "lucky", he didn't invest in some risky start up that became Amazon or Google, he invested in blue chip dividend paying stocks of multi billion dollar corporations. 

Brian37 wrote:

Most people if lucky keep a roof over their heads and manage to pay their bills and work for someone else.

Most people don't manage their finances well. This guy did it earning far less than most people. If a janitor can do it, even a dishwasher could. 

Brian37 wrote:

Nonsense, I've stated multiple times that I much prefer others doing the work for me, my whole professional career has been geared towards making my business operate without me. This guy did the same thing (albeit with a very different method), his physical labor over his life contributed very little to his wealth. Why do you continue to lie about what I say?

Brian37 wrote:

So you hate yourself? You might want to see a therapist about that. 

Brian37 wrote:

Yet despite the pay gap, this low paid worker became very wealthy. Why? Because when you invest your income consistently, you have predictable results. The choice is yours, spend your income on pleasures of the moment, or invest it and watch your wealth grow. He chose the latter. It is your choice and I'm not going to tell you one way is better than the other, but don't bitch when you choose the former and have nothing to show for it.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I like

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I like the part about "knew the value of a free public library in a community and society".

Where I live the county tried to sell off the local library to a private company. While I understand the purpose, the library is used for more than just reading books. The local scouts, girl scouts, kid's puppet shows, cooking classes, etc are all done in the conference rooms at the library. If they were to sell off the service and privatize it you would have to pay a yearly fee to access it, which would be more costly in the long run because costs aren't spread out over the tax payers.

Kids and families go to the library to use the Internet, research and take part of social interaction. While the idea of the Internet seems counter productive for a library I feel they still have a place in our society. There is a connection to humanity by having a book in your hand and having to change pages rather than use a pad to read a digital copy.

Needless to say the initiative failed 9 to 1 on the ballot.

Carnegie libraries are private and they don't charge a penny for anything (and imo far superior amenities). Where is your evidence that any library would charge a yearly fee? I doubt that would be a functional business model outside of highly specialized libraries for professionals that might require you to be a member of a professional organization. There are many ways beyond fees to make a business profitable, especially one that can qualify as a non-profit. I doubt that most library patrons would be willing to pay an annual fee. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I don't understand your response Brian. What do you gain from posting this?

In what context? The ability to counter the fucking assinine idea that titles and paychecks automatically equal morality and one class exists. The idea that some think your only lot in life is to chase after money. Pointing out our finite existence, pointing out the fact both rich and poor all die. Some humans stupidly think I should chase after what they do because they do. 

I personally don't gain anything financially by doing this. But I certainly think the world can do better by focusing on our common existence instead of thinking morality is meausured by status. 

Digital, you've been here long enough to know about the infighting between Beyond and I. The benefit at a minimum inside and outside this website is an exorsise in an open society. 

Beyond and his mindset want me to be impressed by his status and is just as fucking absurd when religion demands the same blind value. I am not fucking impressed with what he owns, I am not impressed with his ecnomic views considering that the past 30 years have proven him wrong.

Same with Ibweik. I am not impressed with his title "teacher". I am not impressed with his Marx fetish. I see neither of their views as any different a tribal behavior than I see with religion. 

The benefit for me is to bitch, just like everyone else likes to do. The benefit is for the spectators to see our infighting and that also allows theists to see atheists as diverse. The benefit is for workers to know that they do not have to put up with the crumbs the top throws at them. The benefit is to get more people, regardless of where they end up on any issue, to think for themselves. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

The exceptions not the rule. Yes Beyond likes to tell that rags to riches story like a dead clechi. What he does not like to tell you and refuses to accept himself is that most people will not get rich.

Yeah, because MOST people (in America) blow their entire paycheck. This guy didn't and it had predictable results. He didn't get "lucky", he didn't invest in some risky start up that became Amazon or Google, he invested in blue chip dividend paying stocks of multi billion dollar corporations. 

Brian37 wrote:

Most people if lucky keep a roof over their heads and manage to pay their bills and work for someone else.

Most people don't manage their finances well. This guy did it earning far less than most people. If a janitor can do it, even a dishwasher could. 

Brian37 wrote:

Nonsense, I've stated multiple times that I much prefer others doing the work for me, my whole professional career has been geared towards making my business operate without me. This guy did the same thing (albeit with a very different method), his physical labor over his life contributed very little to his wealth. Why do you continue to lie about what I say?

Brian37 wrote:

So you hate yourself? You might want to see a therapist about that. 

Brian37 wrote:

Yet despite the pay gap, this low paid worker became very wealthy. Why? Because when you invest your income consistently, you have predictable results. The choice is yours, spend your income on pleasures of the moment, or invest it and watch your wealth grow. He chose the latter. It is your choice and I'm not going to tell you one way is better than the other, but don't bitch when you choose the former and have nothing to show for it.

YOU FUCKING IDIOT! No one is claiming this is impossible, but you keep ignoring reality you fucking dipshit! There is a reason the top is smaller than the bottom. For the same fucking reason only one sperm will get to firtilize the egg.

THIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE MINORITY, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE MINORITY!  

I do not want to be you, I am not fucking impressed with what you own or how much money you have. GOOD FOR YOU, but you are still fucking projecting your goddamned fucking utopia bullshit on par with theism.

You do not give a fuck about the pay gap. You do not care about the economic stbility of the total society, otherwise you would not be supporting the assholes making things worse.

"Look what this guy did" yes and so the fuck what. You suffer the same delusional selection bias and sample rate error. You are merely pointing this out to justify your own fucking greed.

And again, I point to other rich people and other PHD economists WHO DISAGREE WITH YOU, and just like a fucking fundy you chose to ignore that.

It is not your persronal desires you fucking idiot. It is your projectionism, your living in a bubble. 

GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELF BEYOND. You are finite, when you die, all the crap you own will not go with you. When you die your bank account will not go with you. In 5 billion years no one will remember you.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's never easier to

it's never easier to trivialize another person's accomplishments than when you yourself have accomplished exactly dick.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond and his

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond and his mindset want me to be impressed by his status and is just as fucking absurd when religion demands the same blind value. I am not fucking impressed with what he owns, I am not impressed with his ecnomic views considering that the past 30 years have proven him wrong.

Brian, you are the last person in the world I am worried about impressing. Actually, I might be slightly insulted if you were impressed. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: THIS WILL

Brian37 wrote:

THIS WILL ALWAYS BE THE MINORITY, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE MINORITY!  

I'm a minority, why aren't you out trying to protect my rights?

Brian37 wrote:

I do not want to be you, I am not fucking impressed with what you own or how much money you have. GOOD FOR YOU, but you are still fucking projecting your goddamned fucking utopia bullshit on par with theism.

Don't be me then. This janitor clearly wasn't. There are ways to build wealth differently than me.

Brian37 wrote:

You do not give a fuck about the pay gap.

Sure I do, I always suggest that you make more money and have even provided advice on how you could go about doing so to reduce the pay gap. I'm not going to force you to do so, but I do think it would be a good idea for you to stop being poor because having money is better than not having it. But, if you insist on staying poor, I support your right to do so. 

Brian37 wrote:

You do not care about the economic stbility of the total society, otherwise you would not be supporting the assholes making things worse.

I don't care for economic stability, I believe that the political forces that have been attempting to force stability are the largest cause of economic waste and slack. I don't support the assholes in power, you do, you voted for them, I didn't. 

Brian37 wrote:

"Look what this guy did" yes and so the fuck what. You suffer the same delusional selection bias and sample rate error. You are merely pointing this out to justify your own fucking greed.

No, I'm pointing it out because I think it is something we could all learn from. It is a good idea to learn from other people's mistakes and successes. 

Brian37 wrote:

And again, I point to other rich people and other PHD economists WHO DISAGREE WITH YOU, and just like a fucking fundy you chose to ignore that.

Didn't you just suggest a post up that people should "think for themselves"? Why should I jump on the Keynesian bandwagon, just because that is what all the eggheads are learning in college? They were the ones who insisted there was no real estate bubble and they laughed at people like me for pointing it out. Every year they scoffed and laughed and pointed to the higher prices as evidence of what idiots people like me were. They are also the same eggheads who were saying that people like this janitor were idiots for investing in stable long term companies instead of jumping into the tech bubble. Looking at the fucking disaster that those eggheads have made- which you yourself have pointed out- I don't understand how someone even as stupid as you can hold them up as authorities. 

Brian37 wrote:

GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELF BEYOND. You are finite, when you die, all the crap you own will not go with you. When you die your bank account will not go with you. In 5 billion years no one will remember you.

Which is why I fully intend to die broke. But I wasn't talking about myself, I was talking about this janitor who apparently didn't decide to die broke. He decided to die with $8 million. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Carnegie

Beyond Saving wrote:

Carnegie libraries are private and they don't charge a penny for anything (and imo far superior amenities). Where is your evidence that any library would charge a yearly fee? I doubt that would be a functional business model outside of highly specialized libraries for professionals that might require you to be a member of a professional organization. There are many ways beyond fees to make a business profitable, especially one that can qualify as a non-profit. I doubt that most library patrons would be willing to pay an annual fee. 

Well our public library was going to a 'private for profit' company. They wanted to close a bunch of branches, let go several hundred people, then charge a yearly fee for access to the library.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:In 5 billion

Brian37 wrote:
In 5 billion years no one will remember you.

What a meaningless put down, Brian.   In 5 billion years the Earth will probably have been roasted to a cinder as our dying sun will eventually expand and completely swallow the orbits of all the  inner planets.   There will be no one left to remember anything, LOL.