Pictures of Mo

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pictures of Mo

So I was doing some research on the Quaran and I found that it actually does not say "you can't draw Muhammad". Apparently only third party teachings are the reason why Muslims are so upset. These third party teachings are sort of like the precepts in Buddhism or what they call the "8 Fold Path". These opinions are modified by each sect and used differently through out the world. Some believe one set, the other believers follow another set.

So what or why is it that so many Muslims say "The Quaran said so..."?

I find this to be a good example of how Christians claim "The bible said so..." but when you exam the bible for the actual quote given it doesn't exist.

So this is an eye opener to me. When people tell me they are Muslim I assumed that they were practicing and were well versed in the Quaran. However after this little bit of research it has shown me that Muslims don't know their holy teachings as well as they seem to profess. It also shows me that the followers of ISIS and other radical views are just opinions. They aren't following actual teachings of Muhammad. They are following third party teachings and most likely are fighting for greedy purposes.

Greedy purposes like land, power, money and fulfillment of their own egotistical desires.

(edit)

Which brings me to an amazing revelation about Muslims.

They say that you aren't allowed to depict Muhammad because it might lead to worshiping of of an idol. Yet as all of us know, if you say, "Hey I met this girl the other day and she had giant tits and brown hair..." You would most likely form a visual representation in your mind of what they are describing.

Given that the Quaran gives the physical description of Muhammad in the Quaran, I mean literally in detail, ALL MUSLIMS FORM A DEPICTION OF MUHAMMAD IN THEIR MINDS. They all have a picture of what he looks like in their mind.

Hmmm. Wow. That blows my mind that this is a possible wide spread example of hypocrisy in the world of Islam.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I agree with you that in a sense, life itself does not cause suffering but it is nevertheless and indispensable and inseperable element of suffering.

Agreed

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
without the defendant's participation the bullets would have never done any damage to begin with.

Agreed

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Yes, biological life itself doesn't cause suffering but without it no vulnerability to pain exists to begin with.

Agreed

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
And the statement in you signature "...People always choosed the path of greatest pleasure" should be tempered with the knowledge that that principal is not always true.  The picture of the 911 jumper that I posted earlier in this thread is evidence contrary to Scott Adams over-reaching assertion .    Apparently a stronger basic human urge is to minimize and avoid pain ( even without the possibility of pleasure as a payoff. )   The 911 jumpers trapped within the burning towers were faced with only two choices, both choices involved certain violent death. 

1 )  Either remain within the building and experience a protracted and utterly excruciating death by fire or

2 ) die a comparatively quick death by falling 90 plus stories and being instantly obliterated upon impact.

I feel safe in assuming that either choice involved absolutely no pleasure. Period.  Their choices were made based upon which method afforded the least amount of pain and suffering.   There could be not possibly be pleasure in being forced to make such a drastic decision as pleasure was not even among the list of options ( unless one considers terror and panic to be pleasurable. )

Words often are minunderstoof because viewpoints are only from one angle. Pleasure can also be pain and while this explaination fails to convey the 9/11 example you used can one say "this is cold" and another person say "this is hot"? An environment which is common for one species might not be considered hot, while a species from a frost area would be annoyed at the temperature difference.

So neither of us know what the thinking of those who died on 9/11 was nor do I care to dwell in that frame of mind. It is too black and sad.

If I were to say to you "he jumped because the pain of the fire or smoke was too much" then he was taking the path of precieved less pain. Sure they would die either way, but if that was so then why not stay and die in the fire? That is because while you are falling through the air at 185 mph (I'm guessing at the height, weight and max air velocity achieved) the fresh cool air would have been inviting even if your death was about to take place by falling to your death. The idea of no more pain was pleasurable. It was the path precieved to be less painful. It was the path precieved to be more pleasurable.

Glass half empty. Glass half full.

(edit)

I also wanted to add that a person in that situation most likely came to terms with the situation and "was at peace" with their decision.

Thus a path of more pleasure

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Words

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Words often are minunderstood because viewpoints are only from one angle.

True, nevertheless I try to align my viewpoints to coincide with reality.  My atheism is an example of this approach.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Pleasure can also be pain

Yes, as long pain remains within a certain threshold.  Show me a masochist who is willing to undergo open heart surgery without anesthesia.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
...can one say "this is cold" and another person say "this is hot"?

People can say whatever they want.  I prefer to adhere to more scientific definitions.    I'm afraid with your squishy approach to reality, words quickly lose meaning and hence become essentially useless. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:
An environment which is common for one species might not be considered hot, while a species from a frost area would be annoyed at the temperature difference.

Uh, polar bears are comfortable because nature has equipped them to live within sub-freezing temperatures.  Levels of comfort do not determine actual temperature readings.  Science anyone ?

digitalbeachbum wrote:
So neither of us know what the thinking of those who died on 9/11...

Apparently you do know what they were thinking, otherwise your Scott Adams quote is useless.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
If I were to say to you "he jumped because the pain of the fire or smoke was too much" then he was taking the path of precieved less pain. Sure they would die either way, but if that was so then why not stay and die in the fire?

Oh my god digital, ...really ?

digitalbeachbum wrote:
That is because while you are falling through the air at 185 mph (I'm guessing at the height, weight and max air velocity achieved) the fresh cool air would have been inviting even if your death was about to take place by falling to your death. The idea of no more pain was pleasurable. It was the path precieved to be less painful. It was the path precieved to be more pleasurable.

Glass half empty. Glass half full.

(edit)

I also wanted to add that a person in that situation most likely came to terms with the situation and "was at peace" with their decision.

Thus a path of more pleasure

Your tortured explanations are amusing, but not much else.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
if one chooses the path of

if one chooses the path of buddhism as their therapy of choice, i have nothing against it, but we should always remember that these choices are at base aesthetic. as i once said, for a while zen writings, particularly the platform sutra and koans from the blue cliff record, helped me deal with my mild depression, as did the lotus sutra. now i've found chanting the names of shiva and studying the vedic darshanas to be a better aesthetic fit. does buddhism or hinduism have some essential something that other therapeutic paths do not? for that matter, is following a path essentially "better" than not following a path? of course not. the only true goal of any path is liberation from distress. if you are not distressed, you don't need to follow a path. the four noble truths are fantastic therapy for one whose problem is duhkha. where shakyamuni and i disagree, however, is that i do not believe everyone is dealing with duhkha. that is why i have come to prefer the hindu traditions. they start from the point that both one's problems and the solutions to those problems are as varied as all forms of life. so, here's an atheist shouting joyfully, "om namah shivaya! he mahadev!"

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Oh my

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I knew I should have waited until I got some sleep. I was really tired, no exhausted, when I wrote that post.

What I was trying to say is that while Scott Adams quote isn't perfect it is truthful. We make our decisions based on pleasure or pain, depending on if you see the glass as half empty or full. Personally I believe that the only decisions we make are emotional ones and that is the only thing we control in our lives. The thought of wanting to go get a pizza is derived from influences beyond your control. If you want to have sex in the mornings rather than evenings, is beyond your control.

I'm getting off subject... but I hope you get my point.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I knew I should have waited until I got some sleep. I was really tired, no exhausted, when I wrote that post.

What I was trying to say is that while Scott Adams quote isn't perfect it is truthful. We make our decisions based on pleasure or pain, depending on if you see the glass as half empty or full. Personally I believe that the only decisions we make are emotional ones and that is the only thing we control in our lives. The thought of wanting to go get a pizza is derived from influences beyond your control. If you want to have sex in the mornings rather than evenings, is beyond your control.

I'm getting off subject... but I hope you get my point.

There is no need for an urgent reply.  Take your time.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: is following

iwbiek wrote:
 is following a path essentially "better" than not following a path?

of course not. the only true goal of any path is liberation from distress. if you are not distressed, you don't need to follow a path.

i do not believe everyone is dealing with duhkha.

Isn't every one following a path? If you use the term literally, then if you go in to a jungle that no one has travelled previously you are a trail-blazer. Otherwise you are following the same path some one else already took. Some paths are less travelled than others.

I am not sure if there is any goal involved in any path, maybe if there is an awarness?

I agree.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:And

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
And the statement in you signature "...People always choosed the path of greatest pleasure" should be tempered with the knowledge that that principal is not always true.  The picture of the 911 jumper that I posted earlier in this thread is evidence contrary to Scott Adams over-reaching assertion .    Apparently a stronger basic human urge is to minimize and avoid pain ( even without the possibility of pleasure as a payoff. )   The 911 jumpers trapped within the burning towers were faced with only two choices, both choices involved certain violent death. 

1 )  Either remain within the building and experience a protracted and utterly excruciating death by fire or

2 ) die a comparatively quick death by falling 90 plus stories and being instantly obliterated upon impact.

I feel safe in assuming that either choice involved absolutely no pleasure. Period.  Their choices were made based upon which method afforded the least amount of pain and suffering.   There could be not possibly be pleasure in being forced to make such a drastic decision as pleasure was not even among the list of options ( unless one considers terror and panic to be pleasurable. )

I disagree with your view on this item. A person who is in a burning building has more than two choices. A lot more than two choices.

I disagree that all the options were certain death. I believe there were choices which could have saved a life if one thought radically enough.

I agree that there is a stronger basic human urge to minimize and avoid pain (which goes back to the glass half empty/half full).  

I disagree with the two choices you gave as both being no pleasure. One is a quick an certain death which a person who mentally prepares themselves for is quite calm and collected. I believe there is no agony or suffering by jumping out the window. Think about it? When I was in the USMC I was taught that if I was on a ship that had sunk and I had no chance of getting out, that the best thing to do is to start swallowing water. I would die very quickly rather than fight myself trying to take another breath. One would mentally have to accept death to fight the urge to continue surviving. Mentally I believe once you convince yourself that you will die and that you can bypass a longer, violent, painful death that your brain kicks in chemicals to calm you down.

Since jumping out of a building is basically suicide, I'll point to a study of suicide victims who had different levels of seretonin in their brains. It could be that a person who finally realizes that they are going to die convinces theirself that jumping is better. They accept this then a rush of chemicals are released. They say a prayer. Think of their loved ones. Maybe wish they didn't have that fight with their wife. Then jump.

I'm no expert of these fields but my own experiences are that once a person convinces theirself to do something their brain chemistry changes and they change the state of their mind.

I found the following:

http://www.werismyki.com/artcls/falling.html

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

of course not. the only true goal of any path is liberation from distress. if you are not distressed, you don't need to follow a path.

Isn't every one following a path? If you use the term literally, then if you go in to a jungle that no one has travelled previously you are a trail-blazer. Otherwise you are following the same path some one else already took. Some paths are less travelled than others.

I am not sure if there is any goal involved in any path, maybe if there is an awarness?

I agree.

not everyone is purposefully following a therapeutic path, of which religion is just one kind. in all those statements, "path" is shorthand for "purposeful therapeutic path."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I agree.

not everyone is purposefully following a therapeutic path, of which religion is just one kind. in all those statements, "path" is shorthand for "purposeful therapeutic path."

thanks! that's sort of what I was thinking.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:  I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I disagree that all the options were certain death. I believe there were choices which could have saved a life if one thought radically enough.

I would like to hear what you believe their other, life saving choices could have been as it relates to those trapped within the WTC. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:
I disagree with the two choices you gave as both being no pleasure. One is a quick an certain death which a person who mentally prepares themselves for is quite calm and collected.

That is quite a huge assumption.  There is a reason why the number of suicide attempts will always outnumber actual suicides.  Death incites fear, even among those who view it as a release.  I could accept their mental attitude as simple resignation, a depressing acceptance of what cannot be avoided.  "Calm" and "collected" makes it sound as if the choices they faced were no more serious than deciding whether or not make a speech in public or some other pedestrian situation. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:
I believe there is no agony or suffering by jumping out the window.

And while one is painlessly falling at 150 mph they are nevertheless anticipating the impact.  That produces fear.  I work on top of multi-story buildings at heights that would kill me if I fell off.  Believe me just walking to the edge of a roof that has no rails or protective barriers will focus your mind upon the final consequences of a painless fall.  I don't panic when conceptualing a slip and a fall, but emotional serenity is not what I experience while pondering the end results.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Since jumping out of a building is basically suicide, I'll point to a study of suicide victims who had different levels of seretonin in their brains. It could be that a person who finally realizes that they are going to die convinces theirself that jumping is better. They accept this then a rush of chemicals are released. They say a prayer. Think of their loved ones. Maybe wish they didn't have that fight with their wife. Then jump.

I would like to read that study if you still have access to it.  As far as serotonin levels of suicide victims ( meaning the the findings were post mortem ? ) many acutely depressed people are on drugs whose purpose is to alter levels of serotonin.  Does the study make any effort to seperate suicide victims whose serotonin levels  were artificially regulated from those who were not ?   Also many SSRI's come with warnings that risk of suicide is a potential side effect.

Our brains frequently fail to successfully adapt to stresses and instead create a cascade of imbalances among neurotransmitters which to do not create a calming effect.  In fact the results are the complete opposite so that our brains are actually the source of suffering.  Ask me how I know.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
I'm no expert of these fields but my own experiences are that once a person convinces theirself to do something their brain chemistry changes and they change the state of their mind.

I found the following:

http://www.werismyki.com/artcls/falling.html

I read the article hurriedly as I examined your post this morning.  I will re-read it again for greater comprehension later today.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:   I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I would like to hear what you believe their other, life saving choices could have been as it relates to those trapped within the WTC. 

The day it happened I sat in my living room watching the live video feed and wondered why some one wouldn't try to go down the facade on the exterior. I checked and the steel lattice was 2 ft across between beams. If I was going to jump, I thought, why not fall trying to save myself. When I was in the Marines I learned several scaling techniques for falling out of windows when you didn't have repelling gear. I later learned from taking up the hobby of bolder hopping and mountain climbing that physics is 95% of all mountain climbing. So I would have used the 2ft space between the beams to attempt a controlled slide down. Would it work? I don't know. There are a lot of variables to consider.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
  That is quite a huge assumption.

We are both making huge assumptions

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
 And while one is painlessly falling at 150 mph they are nevertheless anticipating the impact.

An assumption. Brains can release lots of chemicals, plus we are forgetting the factor of faith. A person who is a believer in god or jesus doesn't carry the same opinions.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
 That produces fear.  I work on top of multi-story buildings at heights that would kill me if I fell off.  Believe me just walking to the edge of a roof that has no rails or protective barriers will focus your mind upon the final consequences of a painless fall.  I don't panic when conceptualing a slip and a fall, but emotional serenity is not what I experience while pondering the end results.

I've climbed sheer cliffs with open faces at 1,000 feet off the ground.  I've looked over the valley of a range and seen nothing below me. I know that feeling.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
I would like to read that study if you still have access to it.  As far as serotonin levels of suicide victims ( meaning the the findings were post mortem ? ) many acutely depressed people are on drugs whose purpose is to alter levels of serotonin.  Does the study make any effort to seperate suicide victims whose serotonin levels  were artificially regulated from those who were not ?   Also many SSRI's come with warnings that risk of suicide is a potential side effect.

The studies excluded drug related situations. The purpose was to find what the state of the brain was in naturally with out outside influences. The thing I remember which was interesting, and this showed up in multiple articles, was that a person who had tried multiple suicides but failed had a lower level of the chemicals compared to a person who had tried it once. Almost like a drug addict never getting that same high?

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
  Our brains frequently fail to successfully adapt to stresses and instead create a cascade of imbalances among neurotransmitters which to do not create a calming effect.  In fact the results are the complete opposite so that our brains are actually the source of suffering.  Ask me how I know.

Again we are assuming too much about the people who jumped. I've seen people of faith do crazy stuff with out second guessing it. If a person is truely convinced that they are going to heaven they might say, "well this is it, time to go see jesus".

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
  I read the article hurriedly as I examined your post this morning.  I will re-read it again for greater comprehension later today. 

I'd like to point out that while suicide victims might have different brain cells, these people jumping weren't depressed. So I don't classify them the same way. Fear, physical pain or faith; or a combination of all three could have a huge impact on a jumper.

As I said previously, if I could I would try and MacGyver myself out of the situation. Maybe it is my training/experiences which make me better suited for the situation, but I'm not going to just jump out the window with out trying something on the way down.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The day it happened I sat in my living room watching the live video feed and wondered why some one wouldn't try to go down the facade on the exterior. I checked and the steel lattice was 2 ft across between beams. If I was going to jump, I thought, why not fall trying to save myself. When I was in the Marines I learned several scaling techniques for falling out of windows when you didn't have repelling gear. I later learned from taking up the hobby of bolder hopping and mountain climbing that physics is 95% of all mountain climbing. So I would have used the 2ft space between the beams to attempt a controlled slide down. Would it work? I don't know. There are a lot of variables to consider.

If the towers had been filled with Marines who were still in fighting shape ...maybe.    Somehow I think most victims were probably older, out of shape business types who had never prepared for such possibilities.  The results speak for themselves, though.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brains can release lots of chemicals, plus we are forgetting the factor of faith. A person who is a believer in god or jesus doesn't carry the same opinions.

I was a person of faith for twenty five years.  I still face the same troubling issues as I did before becoming an atheist.   If my brain chemistry has been altered by the the presence or absence of faith I have no indicators to that effect.  Perhaps I am alone in that regard.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I've climbed sheer cliffs with open faces at 1,000 feet off the ground.  I've looked over the valley of a range and seen nothing below me. I know that feeling.

Interesting. I'll leave those experiences to you though, LOL.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The studies excluded drug related situations. The purpose was to find what the state of the brain was in naturally with out outside influences. The thing I remember which was interesting, and this showed up in multiple articles, was that a person who had tried multiple suicides but failed had a lower level of the chemicals compared to a person who had tried it once. Almost like a drug addict never getting that same high?

I'll just try and Google it.  I'm curious.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Again we are assuming too much about the people who jumped. I've seen people of faith do crazy stuff with out second guessing it. If a person is truely convinced that they are going to heaven they might say, "well this is it, time to go see jesus".

Faith has it benefits I suppose, a placebo to help one face death.  It used to be my defense as well.  

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I'd like to point out that while suicide victims might have different brain cells, these people jumping weren't depressed. So I don't classify them the same way. Fear, physical pain or faith; or a combination of all three could have a huge impact on a jumper.

As I said previously, if I could I would try and MacGyver myself out of the situation. Maybe it is my training/experiences which make me better suited for the situation, but I'm not going to just jump out the window with out trying something on the way down.

While I was waiting for you to reply I remembered some news stories of suicidal bridge jumpers who defied the odds by surviving the fall and whose first thought once they began to fall was basically "I've just made a horrible mistake".  I know that at least one of them was a Christian at the time. ( I'm thinking it was a young, bi-polar dude who leapt from the Golden Gate bridge back in the year 2000. )   I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

Edit: here's a speech Kevin Hines made in 2014, regarding his bi-polar condition which is the back story, and his comment about instant regret are at about 7:47 of the video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loiGNZTfu6g    Later in the vid he states that he still experiences suicidal ideation but he would never again consider  committing suicide.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  If

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

If the towers had been filled with Marines who were still in fighting shape ...maybe.    Somehow I think most victims were probably older, out of shape business types who had never prepared for such possibilities.  The results speak for themselves, though.

Yeah, I'll agree with you on that, I am sure there were fit people but I would lean to overweight, out of shape, older people.

I seriously examined the building and the lattice could have been used to slide down in some form. I think I would have used an X form rather than the back and feet method. The reason being is that the X method would be quicker and more painful (more friction). The back and feet method would have been slow and if I am correct from the time the plane hit to the time it fell was 56 minutes and 102 minutes. I doubt I could have made it down in 56 minutes.

During my research I found several really cool items to own if you worked in a building that high. One was a repelling system which I think all buildings should have for the tenants. There are also the tubes which I think are amazing and even if you are fat, old or out of shape you could still use them.

As for faith, I gotta hand it to the religious. Faith is ignorance times a billion. It allows the followers to do crazy stuff.

http://youtu.be/wgN1sLcAQnw?t=1m

lol

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:As for

digitalbeachbum wrote:

As for faith, I gotta hand it to the religious. Faith is ignorance times a billion. It allows the followers to do crazy stuff.

http://youtu.be/wgN1sLcAQnw?t=1m

lol

I remember that scene from the first Conan movie, I was 23 at the time. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

I won't use the terms life and sentience because they are poorly defined and poorly understood, and therefore cannot be utilised in this context. Existence is the only term being used here that can actually be applied and understood by all parties. And there is no evidence to say that not all things that exist can suffer.

The problem with 'existing' being the cause is that 'existing' causes a billion other results.

Irrelevant. That a light bulb causes heat does not mean it doesn't cause light. A cause can result in multiple effects and still be the cause of all of them. Your logic is faulty.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
When you do experiments you have test results which come out based on variables. A scientist might see that adding baking soda to vinegar causes a release of gases and bubbling foam. If measured the material used in the experiment is measured exactly then the results are the same. The displacement of the bubbling the foam is the same, in general terms.

What you propose in an experiment is that because a person exists they will have the same results from any given variable or combination of variables.

All evidence says they do. Show me a single entity capable of useful communication that can honestly claim they never suffered.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
 If a young boy has his favorite blanket taken he cries. When he gets it back he is happy.  Take it away from him again, he cries. Give it back to him, he is happy. Repeat this process over and over again, one thousand times. Does the boy cry each time the blanket is taken away? or does he learn that it will be returned to him each time and there is no need to cry. He just waits and it is returned.

Irrelevant. We are not discussing acceptance of suffering, we are discussing suffering itself and that which causes it. The boy cried the first time, hence he suffered.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
While the boy exists he does not always suffer so the cause of the suffering is not the trigger mechanism. The taking of his blanket is not the cause either. It is an action which is viewed by the boy and then he reacts to it. The cause is in his mind. His ego. He wants the blanket. It is taken away. He cries. When it is returned the 'I want that blanket' is satisfied and the result turns from crying to joy.

A lightbulb is not always on, yet that does not change the fact that its existence causes light when it is turned on. You are comparing apples to oranges. Just because a cause does not constantly result in the same state does not mean it is not the cause of a state.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Irrelevant.

Vastet wrote:

Irrelevant. That a light bulb causes heat does not mean it doesn't cause light. A cause can result in multiple effects and still be the cause of all of them. Your logic is faulty.

Irrelevant. If a light bulb produces heat and light the cause of the heat and light is not because the light bulb is a light bulb. When a specific set of variables are present the light bulb will produce heat and light, the cause for which is not existing.

Vastet wrote:
All evidence says they do. Show me a single entity capable of useful communication that can honestly claim they never suffered.

Falsehood. Produce all evidence please. And stop trying to shift the blame on me. I'm not the one that is making a claim that existing is the cause of suffering. I've already proved that existing can produce multiple outcomes. By your standards existing should ALWAYS be suffering. It isn't, thus you are incorrect.

Vastet wrote:
Irrelevant. We are not discussing acceptance of suffering, we are discussing suffering itself and that which causes it. The boy cried the first time, hence he suffered.

Irrelevant. We are discussing the cause of suffering and the taking of the blanket is not which caused the suffering. It was the boy's ego which wanted the blanket back. Thus, existing is not the cause of suffering. His desires caused the suffering.

Vastet wrote:
A lightbulb is not always on, yet that does not change the fact that its existence causes light when it is turned on. You are comparing apples to oranges. Just because a cause does not constantly result in the same state does not mean it is not the cause of a state.

By your definition existing causes suffering. I exist right now yet I do not suffer, therefore existing does not cause suffering.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  You guys can hash it out

You guys can hash it out from here on out.  Further participation in this thread will cause me to suffer.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  You

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

You guys can hash it out from here on out.  Further participation in this thread will cause me to suffer.

LMAO

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Irrelevant. If a light bulb produces heat and light the cause of the heat and light is not because the light bulb is a light bulb.

Irrelevant. Off topic. The light bulb exists, and its existence is the sole cause of the light and heat it produces.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
When a specific set of variables are present the light bulb will produce heat and light, the cause for which is not existing.

The variables are irrelevant. Without the lightbulb they accomplish nothing.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Falsehood.

A lie. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Produce all evidence please.

No. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:
 And stop trying to shift the blame on me.

You're the one shifting.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
 I'm not the one that is making a claim that existing is the cause of suffering.

I never said otherwise. You ARE the one claiming that existing is NOT the cause of suffering, therefore you must prove it, since all evidence supports the opposite.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
 I've already proved that existing can produce multiple outcomes. By your standards existing should ALWAYS be suffering. It isn't, thus you are incorrect.

False premise, therefore you are incorrect in your conclusion.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Vastet wrote:

Irrelevant. We are discussing the cause of suffering and the taking of the blanket is not which caused the suffering. It was the boy's ego which wanted the blanket back. Thus, existing is not the cause of suffering. His desires caused the suffering.

Irrelevant. Without his existence he could have no ego, and therefore could not suffer. His existence caused the suffering.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Vastet wrote:

By your definition existing causes suffering. I exist right now yet I do not suffer, therefore existing does not cause suffering.

You do and have suffered, therefore your assertion is a bald lie.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You do and have

Vastet wrote:

yet another reason why i could never embrace buddhism. i just don't believe in any permanent or sustained state of samadhi. i do see plenty of evidence that people experience moments of mystical bliss, perhaps sometimes even hours or days if they're naturally talented in that area and if they cultivate that talent (e.g., ramana maharshi), but i do not believe the human condition can be escaped completely.

digital, are you saying you've achieved enlightenment in some degree? because it's my understanding that the viewpoint of the sutras is that only bodhi can eliminate trishna (and thus duhkha) totally.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Vastet

iwbiek wrote:
Vastet wrote:

yet another reason why i could never embrace buddhism. i just don't believe in any permanent or sustained state of samadhi. i do see plenty of evidence that people experience moments of mystical bliss, perhaps sometimes even hours or days if they're naturally talented in that area and if they cultivate that talent (e.g., ramana maharshi), but i do not believe the human condition can be escaped completely.
digital, are you saying you've achieved enlightenment in some degree? because it's my understanding that the viewpoint of the sutras is that only bodhi can eliminate trishna (and thus duhkha) totally.

I don't believe in any thing permanent either. Nirvana is not permanant but only a state of bliss.

Like all things, there is an end to all states.

The analogy I use is standing in a door way with one side being total bliss and the other side being suffering.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Irrelevant. 

Vastet wrote:

Irrelevant. 

A man exists + who has passion for a woman + the woman does not reciprocate = a state of suffering

A child exists + is ignorant of the childish taunts + is laughed at by school mates for being intelligent = a state of suffering

A woman exists + who has an aversion for over weight people + who shares an office with an over weight colleague = a state of suffering.

What can you remove from these equations which would remove suffering?

You could kill the man/child/woman and they would no longer exist, but you would also kill off the chance for happiness.

You could get a different love, different school and work in another office but because the passion/ignorance/aversion still have not been treated most likely they will arise again to cause suffering.

You could remove the passion, the ignorance and the aversion and then the suffering would disappear.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:A man

digitalbeachbum wrote:

A man exists + who has passion for a woman + the woman does not reciprocate = a state of suffering

A child exists + is ignorant of the childish taunts + is laughed at by school mates for being intelligent = a state of suffering

A woman exists + who has an aversion for over weight people + who shares an office with an over weight colleague = a state of suffering.

What can you remove from these equations which would remove suffering?

If you use that low of a bar to define suffering, I don't see how you can say that Vastet is wrong. I don't consider any of those things anywhere near "suffering". If your goal is to minimize all pain for the sake of eliminating pain, suicide seems like the only rational course of action. 

Quote:

You could remove the passion, the ignorance and the aversion and then the suffering would disappear.

Which is absolutely impossible short of a brain damage to the point where you are no longer aware of your suffering.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: If you

Beyond Saving wrote:

If you use that low of a bar to define suffering, I don't see how you can say that Vastet is wrong. I don't consider any of those things anywhere near "suffering". If your goal is to minimize all pain for the sake of eliminating pain, suicide seems like the only rational course of action. 

Which is absolutely impossible short of a brain damage to the point where you are no longer aware of your suffering.

Based on Vas's definition, existing is the cause of all suffering?

1) you exist 2) existing causes suffering 3) you are suffering

That means right now, every living being is suffering, non-stop. 24/7? No. We don't always suffer so there must be another source to the suffering of the mind.

The examples given were simplistic on purpose. I was attempting to break down a series of events in to a mathematical formula to make it easier to see. If it doesn't work for you then discard it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Based on Vas's definition, existing is the cause of all suffering?

1) you exist 2) existing causes suffering 3) you are suffering

That means right now, every living being is suffering, non-stop. 24/7? No. We don't always suffer so there must be another source to the suffering of the mind.

Using your ridiculously broad definition of suffering, every human is suffering 24/7. There isn't a single human on the planet who has absolutly everything they desire and if desiring and not having something is "suffering" then every single human on the planet is suffering, simply because they exist. And if there is someone out there who wants litterally nothing, they must have the most miserable existence I can imagine. 

Quote:

The examples given were simplistic on purpose. I was attempting to break down a series of events in to a mathematical formula to make it easier to see. If it doesn't work for you then discard it. 

The beauty of math is that it isn't subjective. It either works or it doesn't. If you suggest that having an aversion to something and having to be around it or wanting something that you don't have is suffering, then existence is the cause of suffering and the only possible cause. Even the most basic lifeforms "want" something, even the most basic chemicals have aversions and attractions. I think your definition of suffering is so watered down as to be meaningless, it essentially means existence. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Using

Beyond Saving wrote:

Using your ridiculously broad definition of suffering, every human is suffering 24/7. There isn't a single human on the planet who has absolutly everything they desire and if desiring and not having something is "suffering" then every single human on the planet is suffering, simply because they exist. And if there is someone out there who wants litterally nothing, they must have the most miserable existence I can imagine. 

The beauty of math is that it isn't subjective. It either works or it doesn't. If you suggest that having an aversion to something and having to be around it or wanting something that you don't have is suffering, then existence is the cause of suffering and the only possible cause. Even the most basic lifeforms "want" something, even the most basic chemicals have aversions and attractions. I think your definition of suffering is so watered down as to be meaningless, it essentially means existence. 

You misunderstand me. I'm obviously not explaining myself well enough which is quite typical of me.

A person is not always suffering. A person can laugh. They do not suffer. A person can can have an orgasm. They do not suffer. A person can accept the results of life. They do not suffer.

That last example happens every day hundreds of millions of times around the world. It is extremely common. People get laid off from their job and say "I'll find another job for more pay". People are verbally abused. They say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me". People lose a softball game, "It was just a game and we are playing for fun".

Every single day bad fortunes happen to people but they do not suffer. They accept it. The deal with the problems and persevere.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:A

digitalbeachbum wrote:

A person is not always suffering. A person can laugh. They do not suffer. A person can can have an orgasm. They do not suffer. A person can accept the results of life. They do not suffer.

So you are saying that suffering and pleasure are mutually exclusive and you can only experience one of them at a time? That is simply false. 

digitalbeachbum wrote:

That last example happens every day hundreds of millions of times around the world. It is extremely common. People get laid off from their job and say "I'll find another job for more pay". People are verbally abused. They say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me". People lose a softball game, "It was just a game and we are playing for fun".

Every single day bad fortunes happen to people but they do not suffer. They accept it. The deal with the problems and persevere.

Yeah, people cope with suffering, some better than others. That doesn't mean they don't feel the pain. Even if you can ignore it or get distracted by other things, it is still there. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
beyondsaving wrote:So you

beyondsaving wrote:

So you are saying...

A person exists. A hammer exists.

The person picks up a hammer and tries to hit a nail in to the wall, they instead hit their finger.

Based on Vas's definition, the suffering comes from the person existing.

Based on my definition the suffering comes from the response to the action.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The action is impossible

The action is impossible without the existence of the person and the hammer. There can be no actions and no consequences without existence. You are trying to make things more complicated than they are.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

beyondsaving wrote:

So you are saying...

A person exists. A hammer exists.

The person picks up a hammer and tries to hit a nail in to the wall, they instead hit their finger.

Based on Vas's definition, the suffering comes from the person existing.

Based on my definition the suffering comes from the response to the action.

Only if your definition of suffering solely includes pain as a result of a direct action. If your definition of suffering extends to not getting what you want or experiencing something you don't want, then it is completely inseperable from existence. 

It is theoretically possible that a person might live their entire life without hitting their thumb with a hammer, it is utterly impossible to even imagine a human existing without desires and aversions. Desires and aversions are caused by existence (one might argue they are the very definition of consciousness). 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel remiss given the

I feel remiss given the quality of responses. So I'll open a can of worms.

A hammer striking a sentient being doesn't actually cause any pain or suffering. It is the nervous system of the being which causes the person to experience pain. At least, it does if that beings' nervous system is operating properly.

ALL pain is internal. ALL suffering is internal. Outside forces may or may not influence the situation, but the pain and suffering itself is a completely internal process that does not require anything more than existence to occur.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Only if

Beyond Saving wrote:

Only if your definition of suffering solely includes pain as a result of a direct action. If your definition of suffering extends to not getting what you want or experiencing something you don't want, then it is completely inseperable from existence. 

It is theoretically possible that a person might live their entire life without hitting their thumb with a hammer, it is utterly impossible to even imagine a human existing without desires and aversions. Desires and aversions are caused by existence (one might argue they are the very definition of consciousness). 

I don't want to mix up the focus of the discussion with using pain and suffering, but in my example the hitting of the finger which causes pain is symbolic of a person having a broken heart or road rage in a traffic jam.

Would you agree that it is theoretically possible that a person might learn to live their life with out desire or aversion?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The action is

Vastet wrote:

The action is impossible without the existence of the person and the hammer. There can be no actions and no consequences without existence. You are trying to make things more complicated than they are.

Would it be correct in saying "you breath air because you exist"?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:A hammer

Vastet wrote:
A hammer striking a sentient being doesn't actually cause any pain or suffering. It is the nervous system of the being which causes the person to experience pain. At least, it does if that beings' nervous system is operating properly.

I agree. The nervous system is the medium which transfers the impulse to the brain. The hammer striking the finger is not the pain. The human mind is what reacts to that impulse. People will react differently to the act because some nervous systems might be highly sensitive while others are less sensitive. It is even possible they felt pleasure from the event.

Vastet wrote:

ALL pain is internal. ALL suffering is internal. Outside forces may or may not influence the situation, but the pain and suffering itself is a completely internal process that does not require anything more than existence to occur.

I agree! except for the exitence of the being.

As I mentioned in a previous posting to Beyond. Is it possible that a person could train their mind to experience no suffering? such as no anger. no hate. no lust?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Yes.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
As I mentioned in a previous posting to Beyond. Is it possible that a person could train their mind to experience no suffering? such as no anger. no hate. no lust?

I've never experienced hate. But I don't believe anyone can train themselves to not experience emotion. They may be able to repress or control it to some degree, but not to abolish it completely. Not without surgery.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Would

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Would you agree that it is theoretically possible that a person might learn to live their life with out desire or aversion?

No, I wouldn't. At least not live for very long, you would die of dehydration, hypothermia, heatstroke, get hit by a car or some other deadly malady when you ignored your desires and aversions. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:digitalbeachbum

Vastet wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Yes.
digitalbeachbum wrote:
I've never experienced hate. But I don't believe anyone can train themselves to not experience emotion. They may be able to repress or control it to some degree, but not to abolish it completely. Not without surgery.

I understand now your view even though I disagree

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

No, I wouldn't. At least not live for very long, you would die of dehydration, hypothermia, heatstroke, get hit by a car or some other deadly malady when you ignored your desires and aversions. 

I was speaking about emotional not physical. I assumed you knew I had excluded the physical portion of this subject and was speaking emotionally/the human mind.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I was speaking about emotional not physical. I assumed you knew I had excluded the physical portion of this subject and was speaking emotionally/the human mind.

It isn't anymore possible or healthy to live without emotional desires or aversions either. They are the main reason why we are capable of cooperating as societies. Those who have a diminished capacity for feeling desires and aversions often have a difficult time and get killed by the rest of us, or get locked up, when say killing someone becomes a completely rational solution to a problem. Although, as far as I know, even those with extreme alexithymia, schizoid disorder or psychopathic disorders all continue to have some level of desires and aversions. Even if it were possible, I don't think that it would be a good thing to seek, emotions are good.  

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:It isn't

Beyond Saving wrote:

It isn't anymore possible or healthy to live without emotional desires or aversions either. They are the main reason why we are capable of cooperating as societies. Those who have a diminished capacity for feeling desires and aversions often have a difficult time and get killed by the rest of us, or get locked up, when say killing someone becomes a completely rational solution to a problem. Although, as far as I know, even those with extreme alexithymia, schizoid disorder or psychopathic disorders all continue to have some level of desires and aversions. Even if it were possible, I don't think that it would be a good thing to seek, emotions are good.  

Don't think of a person being a vulcan; one who supresses all emotion.

Think of a person who is not controlled or attached to the emotions. This is part of the compassion, understanding and love for all life.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Don't think of a person being a vulcan; one who supresses all emotion.

Think of a person who is not controlled or attached to the emotions. This is part of the compassion, understanding and love for all life.

You can't have compassion without desires and/or aversions, if having unsatisfied desires or being subjected to an aversion is suffering, then Vastet is right, suffering is caused by existence. 

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes honey from the comb is sweet to the taste; know so is wisdom

re :: Yes honey from the comb is sweet to the taste; know so is wisdom

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Don't think of a person being a vulcan; one who supresses all emotion

Time keeps on slipping into the future (smile)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eoxHSC9IU {https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eoxHSC9IU}

See or View Upload --

Pon Farr 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
a lot of this hair-splitting

a lot of this hair-splitting over "suffering" is the result of a language barrier. many words do not have one-to-one equivalents in other languages, and indian languages, like sanskrit and pali, the languages of the buddhist scriptures (though admnittedly most of the "sanskrit sources" are reconstructions from chinese or tibetan "translations" of now supposedly lost sanskrit originals) are especially notorious for being untranslatable into english. "duhkha" just would not have the same connotation for a sixth century B.C.E. sanskrit-speaker as "suffering" has for a twenty-first century english speaker. i've always been a firm believer that the vast majority of indian terms should be left untranslated in english books and a glossary provided at the end, rather than fucking everything up with a translation because you underestimate your readers. the choice to translate duhkha or dukkha as "suffering" was basically made by 19th century armchair orientalists like max mueller, and we now have to deal with over a century's worth of scholarship, both serious and popular, that has built off the erroneous assumptions resulting from that choice. "duhkha" does not mean being in constant pain, depression, or distress. one can live in duhkha and feel quite happy. it basically means that nothing done in life will bring us lasting satisfaction: the "thirst" or "craving" (common, equally problematic translations of "trishna" or "tanha") can never be sated by indulgence of any sort, even charitable or ascetic indulgence. one does not follow the eightfold path to feel better; one follows it to escape samsara. it is assumed, however, that one who has stored up good karma over countless rebirths will feel like prince siddhartha felt, dissatisfied and depressed, because his good karma will allow him to develop the wisdom to see things as they are.

there is absolutely no way to justify karma, samsara, or duhkha in any modern scientific or psychological sense. they are among the axiomatic principles of bauddha dharma: you either accept them or you don't. i don't, which is why i'm not a buddhist. buddhism, like every other religion, is utterly unscientific. religion is not scientific because it neither works from modern science's foundational principles (empiricism and falsifiability) nor does it serve the same purpose science does (to explain the workings of the empirical universe). science is not therapeutic and religion is not descriptive, and whenever either tries to cross into the other's territory, the result is confusion and bitterness. i don't reject religion because science convinces me to. i reject religion because there is no religion whose axioms i accept, nor do i have any malaise that any religion claims to treat.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:You

Beyond Saving wrote:

You can't have compassion without desires and/or aversions, if having unsatisfied desires or being subjected to an aversion is suffering, then Vastet is right, suffering is caused by existence. 

You can have compassion with out desire. Compassion is empathy for others.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Don't think of a person being a vulcan; one who supresses all emotion

Pon Farr 

lol

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: a lot of this

iwbiek wrote:
a lot of this hair-splitting over "suffering" is the result of a language barrier. many words do not have one-to-one equivalents in other languages, and indian languages, like sanskrit and pali, the languages of the buddhist scriptures (though admnittedly most of the "sanskrit sources" are reconstructions from chinese or tibetan "translations" of now supposedly lost sanskrit originals) are especially notorious for being untranslatable into english. "duhkha" just would not have the same connotation for a sixth century B.C.E. sanskrit-speaker as "suffering" has for a twenty-first century english speaker. i've always been a firm believer that the vast majority of indian terms should be left untranslated in english books and a glossary provided at the end, rather than fucking everything up with a translation because you underestimate your readers. the choice to translate duhkha or dukkha as "suffering" was basically made by 19th century armchair orientalists like max mueller, and we now have to deal with over a century's worth of scholarship, both serious and popular, that has built off the erroneous assumptions resulting from that choice. "duhkha" does not mean being in constant pain, depression, or distress. one can live in duhkha and feel quite happy. it basically means that nothing done in life will bring us lasting satisfaction: the "thirst" or "craving" [common, equally problematic translations of "trishna" or "tanha"] can never be sated by indulgence of any sort, even charitable or ascetic indulgence. one does not follow the eightfold path to feel better; one follows it to escape samsara. it is assumed, however, that one who has stored up good karma over countless rebirths will feel like prince siddhartha felt, dissatisfied and depressed, because his good karma will allow him to develop the wisdom to see things as they are.

there is absolutely no way to justify karma, samsara, or duhkha in any modern scientific or psychological sense. they are among the axiomatic principles of bauddha dharma: you either accept them or you don't. 

You have an amazing ability to explain things in detail.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Compassion IS a desire or aversion by definition. If you have compassion, then either you derive pleasure when someone else is doing well- and thus unfulfilled if they aren't- or you have an aversion to someone else not doing well, and thus are subjected to it if they aren't. The very definition you provided for suffering. So if you have compassion, you are suffering (unless everyone in the world is doing perfect). Thus, Vastet is right, it is so entwined into existence that the only way to eliminate it is to end existence and for all practical purposes, it is caused by existence. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Compassion IS a desire or aversion by definition. If you have compassion, then either you derive pleasure when someone else is doing well- and thus unfulfilled if they aren't- or you have an aversion to someone else not doing well, and thus are subjected to it if they aren't. The very definition you provided for suffering. So if you have compassion, you are suffering (unless everyone in the world is doing perfect). Thus, Vastet is right, it is so entwined into existence that the only way to eliminate it is to end existence and for all practical purposes, it is caused by existence. 

I have compassion for others and no desire or aversion is involved.

(edit)

And which definition of suffering are you referring to?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:You

digitalbeachbum wrote:

thank you very much. i'll take that compliment. it affirms my choice of profession. Smiling

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

thank you very much. i'll take that compliment. it affirms my choice of profession. Smiling

You should be very confident that your career choice has been a wise one.

I have problems communicating what I have in my head. I can see things and build things in my head with out having to draw it out, but trying to convey an idea verbally in detail has proved to be difficult.