UC Berkeley Students wrong about Bill

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
UC Berkeley Students wrong about Bill

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
that's right, i didn't say

that's right, i didn't say shit. that was my whole point. i didn't say shit because most of that criticism and "blasphemy" in the early days of this site did not come from a place of total fucking stupidity, like it does with you.

you don't "offend" me, brian. it seems like you wish you did. pretty much nothing offends me, and it would damn sure take someone with a lot more brains than you to even come close to doing it. you annoy me. there's a difference. offense come from the content of a person's ideas. annoyance comes from a deficiency in a person's character.

and i am absolutely open to question. people ask me question me all the time. old seer just questioned me one on this very thread. unlike you, i answer those questions straight up, if i can. unlike you, if i can't, i say i don't know. you, on the other hand, deflect, dodge, ignore, flee, and you certainly never admit you don't have something figured out. you're a coward and a liar. those are the things that annoy me about you.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:NO ONE IS

Brian37 wrote:
NO ONE IS FUCKING TALKING ABOUT LEGAL RIGHTS PROTECTED BY THE GOVERNMENT.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!

NO ONE IS, BRIAN!

NO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!

except, of course, YOU! YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP!

so are you finally GETTING IT? are you finally realizing you've been STRAW-MANNING THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYBODY????

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://chronicle.com/article/

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
NO ONE IS FUCKING TALKING ABOUT LEGAL RIGHTS PROTECTED BY THE GOVERNMENT.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!
NO ONE IS, BRIAN!
NO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!
except, of course, YOU! YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP!
so are you finally GETTING IT? are you finally realizing you've been STRAW-MANNING THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYBODY????

Bullshit, you have acted like a fucking crybaby since "poisongate" and "Bobgate" and still childishly ignore the bigger picture of our species flawed perceptions and WHY it is important to treat religions ALL religions as the poisons they are.

Damned right I am going to keep bringing it up because idiots like you would tell Susan B Anthony to shut up because rocking the boat might offend Christian men who read books that tell him women are to be submissive property. Too fucking stupid to see that Malala voicing her opionion of wanting an education is a form of blasphemy on par with saying "fuck" and "shit" with the same damned source she uses to justify positive things. Coping out to boarders and cultures  DOES NOT CHANGE THE FUCKING SOURCE of where anyone gets their morality, for good or bad, they both read the same books to do either.

If you give one fuck about more civility and protecting pluralism then you wouldnt be throwing your childish fits. Your good intent makes my dick itch.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rightwingwatch.org

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/frc-fellow-whole-country-s-being-conscripted-pride-parade

You stupidly argued cultural differences when I am arguing that the SOURCE is the book regardless of boarders. The homophobes in the story above use the same bible to justify that absurdity that Russian Christians use to discriminate against gays. Only an idiot would claim the source is not religion and not a holy book. Arguing that others use the same book to promote compassion does not change that the source is the same. Not liking how someone "interprets" a book does not change the fact that the book is still the source.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm sorry, what is "bobgate"

i'm sorry, what is "bobgate" exactly? are you still mad about the ONE TIME i ever mentioned him and said (and it's ALL i said) that it's more bearable discussing buddhism with him than with you? are you still trying to blow it up into some big deal where i claimed i knew your best friend better than you or something? I DON'T KNOW BOB. NEVER CLAIMED TO. I DON'T EVEN LIKE BOB. WHY DO YOU MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL OUT OF THAT ONE REMARK I MADE? ARE YOU AFRAID SOMEONE'S TRYING TO STEAL GEORGE FROM YOU OR SOMETHING?

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh, and again i'll ask, have

oh, and again i'll ask, have you read the whole bible? have you read the whole quran?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/frc-fellow-whole-country-s-being-conscripted-pride-parade You stupidly argued cultural differences when I am arguing that the SOURCE is the book regardless of boarders. The homophobes in the story above use the same bible to justify that absurdity that Russian Christians use to discriminate against gays. Only an idiot would claim the source is not religion and not a holy book. Arguing that others use the same book to promote compassion does not change that the source is the same. Not liking how someone "interprets" a book does not change the fact that the book is still the source.

They have also used the Constitution as a SOURCE for all sorts of things from homophobia to slavery.

Everything you say is also true of government, home owners associations, the fucking rotary club, or any other social institution. Human institutions have the morality of people who make them up. Eliminating any book won't change that. Books are at most advice from our ancestors about what we should do, which most of the time no one listens to.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:oh, and again

iwbiek wrote:
oh, and again i'll ask, have you read the whole bible? have you read the whole quran?

Let alone the Hadith, which if I am not mistaken is far more applicable to day to day practices of Islamic culture. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was a speech given by Fatimah  (a woman) that started the path to the sunni-shia divide.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:iwbiek

Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Let alone the Hadith, which if I am not mistaken is far more applicable to day to day practices of Islamic culture. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was a speech given by Fatimah  (a woman) that started the path to the sunni-shia divide.  

i'm pretty sure he gets his info from the same kind of books aimed at evangelical christians in the wal-mart checkout aisle with titles like "the truth about islam!"

--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Beyond Saving

iwbiek wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

i'm pretty sure he gets his info from the same kind of books aimed at evangelical christians in the wal-mart checkout aisle with titles like "the truth about islam!"

I think you are being too generous, I think he gets everything from Harris and Dawkins and given the reading comprehension problems (which btw my previous offer to pay for an online university course still stands) I  suspect it mostly comes from tv shows like the OP.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.addictinginfo.org/

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/03/alex-jones-racist-obama-gave-green-light-for-groups-of-black-youths-to-kidnap-white-women-...

Where is he getting his morality from? Please don't be stupid and claim it has nothing to do with his religion or the holy book he reads. It is the same source liberal and moderate Christians use.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:oh, and again

iwbiek wrote:

How much of a comic book do you have to read before you realize it is a comic book?

I can find nice stories in Harry Potter and Star Wars, but no one turns that into a religion or tries to run political parties on it.

Neither the Koran or Bible or Torrah or Talmud or Vedas were written by scientifically literate humans. They are merely tribal books refleting the societies ignorant desires of that time BACK THEN.

None of them reflect modern society or secluar pluralism. 

Today's moderates and Liberals of all reiligions are STILL getting their source of morality from the same words in the exact same books used to justify dominance and opression of others. 

Get your fucking head out of your ass. Rights and claims are TWO SEPARATE ISSUES. You cannot separate the liberal left and the fundy right from the fact that they BOTH are using the same source. The key to more civility isn't walking on eggshells. The key to more civility is to stop ignoring ugly truths. No one is expecting a godless utopia and a religion free world. But morons like you are to fucking stupid to accept the reality that BOTH compassionate people and ignorant religious fascists are STILL using the same sorces.

You want women like Malala to have more rights? You want women in Saudi Arabia to be able to drive and not have to ask sexist idiot men for permission. Then stop pretending that it is cultural having nothing to do with holy books.

All you are stupidly doing is giving cover to the bullies and religious fascists.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok, so the answer is no.

ok, so the answer is no. thanks for your rare honesty and not running from the question, regardless of how much you tried to bury the answer in your usual rhetoric. you criticize things you've never read. you're a poster child for twenty-first century pseudo-intellectualism.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 The part bible where Lot

The part bible where Lot fucks his daughters? Dashing babies against rocks. Bears mauling kids for mere name calling? Infanticide of the Egyptian firstborn. And exactly what was the purpose of an all powerful god inflicting pain on the entire world in the form mass genocide in a flood? You stupidly going to claim there are not people who still today believe that tripe? Ask any medical doctor the pain caused by lungs being filled with water and drowning causes. If we go by that story that would mean babies and women and even non violent people drowned merely for belonging to the wrong club.

You want to cherry pick kind stories and are unwilling to take the collective motif into account. The book starts out with an absolute power. This is not an ellected official. This character does not need humans permission or consent and you will not find that anywhere in the book. He only takes kindness on those who defend him and throughout the book at best is tollerent to outsiders like a pet our house guest. But at the end of that book, even if your infraction is not believing, you still have no say in where you go in the afterlife. He is violent himself to dissent, and goes right back to revenge at the end of the book.

The kindness the god of Abraham shows in any of those books is no different than a Mafia boss. Will be kind to you as long as you do his bidding, will leave you alone at best if you do not question him, but you are fucked if you cross him or challenge him. Cherry picking the kind motifs out of it does not change the totality of the character.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ok, so the

iwbiek wrote:
ok, so the answer is no. thanks for your rare honesty and not running from the question, regardless of how much you tried to bury the answer in your usual rhetoric. you criticize things you've never read. you're a poster child for twenty-first century pseudo-intellectualism.

So the earth was made in 6 days? The sun and moon are separate sources of light? Unicorns exist? Eating shellfish is a horrible thing to do? If the bible is such a good book why isn't the story of Lot fucking his daugheters in a children's bible? And you think it is ok to put an act of genocide(the flood) in children's books? It is ok to teach children that they are mere property and the leader they live under can do whatever they want to them?

Once again your pathetic politicall correctness is allowing you to fail to see the bigger picture. You are invovled in the same stupid cherry picking theists do. You seriously should consider being a believer yourself.

Holy books are reflections of antiquity in a time of ignorance of reality. They have NOTHING to do with our modern understanding of evolution, much less human behavior or the psychological reasons humans have false percetptions.

It is always metaphor when there is a depiction of violence or implication of violence and always literal to the liberal when it dipicts an act of kindness. I am telling you, that the reason the west does not act like the east is becuase we IGNORE the nasty parts because our natural evolutionary compassion prevents us from acting out on those nasty stories. Some people have not caught up with that yet.

It is bullshit to say even in the west, that the underpinnings of hate and bigotry are not there and are not found in the same books the liberals and moderates use to justify compassion.

Unless you accept it is the same source you are not going to solve shit. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
how do you know it says

how do you know it says those things? you haven't read it. you've just been told it says those things. do you know the literary and historical context? do you know how it was traditionally received by its audience? how can you criticize something you have no knowledge of?

it's just like if someone were to ask you, "what does iwbiek say?" you would no doubt tell them i say religion should be given a pass, that we should avoid offending believers, that multiculturalism is more important than anything, that I find blasphemy offensive, and that i think you want religion to be banned by force. yet anyone who would read my actual words would know i say none of those things, either implicitly or explicitly.

now, please note, i am NOT saying what the bible/quran/whatever says or doesn't say about every single issue, nor am i supporting it. i'm saying how can you KNOW what it says without actually reading it? how can you call yourself honest when you devote so much of your life to calling out sources you've never read? don't you think you should read them if you're going to condemn them? really, don't you think you should?

and again, how am I the one cherry-picking? YOU are the one taking isolated passages that have been handpicked for you by new atheist pundits totally out of context and using them to condemn the WHOLE BOOK. I, on the other hand, am talking about the WHOLE BOOK when i say there's no justification of slavery in there. you have yet to prove me wrong on that. no surprise there because you can't.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

How much of a comic book do you have to read before you realize it is a comic book?

I can find nice stories in Harry Potter and Star Wars, but no one turns that into a religion or tries to run political parties on it.

Of course they do. Anyone who dismisses the influence movies and television have on societal norms, morality and politics is an idiot. Fiction is both an expressive and influencing force on society, even when it isn't explicitly trying to do so. Just because something is factually false doesn't make it worthless. You can learn a lot about a culture by looking at the fiction it produces and how that fiction is perceived. Same thing with religion, it is an expressive force of morality already held by the culture. If you pulled your head out of your ass and tried to understand why religions are what they are you would get a lot farther than with your arrogantly dismissive chicken little routine.

In a day where even most believers don't read the bible, television might have a larger influence than traditional religion. Tv is poison!