Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Particle discovered that behaves as both matter & antimatter

Scientists discover exotic particle that is both matter, anti-matter
IANS | Oct 3, 2014, 07.11 PM IST

Excerpt(s):
Using a two-story-tall microscope, the scientists captured a glowing image of a particle known as a "Majorana fermion" perched at the end of an atomically thin wire - just where it had been predicted to be after decades of study and calculation dating back to the 1930s.

"This is the most direct way of looking for the Majorana fermion as it is expected to emerge at the edge of certain materials," said lead researcher Ali Yazdani, a professor of physics at Princeton University in the US.

Despite combining qualities usually thought to annihilate each other - matter and antimatter - the Majorana fermion is surprisingly stable; rather than being destructive, the conflicting properties render the particle neutral, so that it interacts very weakly with its environment.

This aloofness has spurred scientists to search for ways to engineer the Majorana into materials, which could provide a much more stable way of encoding quantum information, and thus a new basis for quantum computing.
~
In 1937, Italian physicist Ettore Majorana predicted that a single, stable particle could be both matter and antimatter.

Source article:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Scientists-discover-exotic-particle-that-is-both-matter-anti-matter/articleshow/44...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 All this talk about

All this talk about antimatter what about unclematter?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Scientists

Vastet wrote:
Scientists discover exotic particle that is both matter, anti-matter IANS | Oct 3, 2014, 07.11 PM IST Excerpt(s): Using a two-story-tall microscope, the scientists captured a glowing image of a particle known as a "Majorana fermion" perched at the end of an atomically thin wire - just where it had been predicted to be after decades of study and calculation dating back to the 1930s. "This is the most direct way of looking for the Majorana fermion as it is expected to emerge at the edge of certain materials," said lead researcher Ali Yazdani, a professor of physics at Princeton University in the US. Despite combining qualities usually thought to annihilate each other - matter and antimatter - the Majorana fermion is surprisingly stable; rather than being destructive, the conflicting properties render the particle neutral, so that it interacts very weakly with its environment. This aloofness has spurred scientists to search for ways to engineer the Majorana into materials, which could provide a much more stable way of encoding quantum information, and thus a new basis for quantum computing. ~ In 1937, Italian physicist Ettore Majorana predicted that a single, stable particle could be both matter and antimatter. Source article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Scientists-discover-exotic-particle-that-is-both-matter-anti-matter/articleshow/44225916.cms

When it comes to this, I'm a chimp. I tried reading a JSTOR article on it and I wasn't even sure it was English. Maybe I should start with the wiki. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've considered brushing up

I've considered brushing up on physics in school recently. I'm coming across many articles these days that deal with subject matter on the fringe of my understanding. I comprehend a fair bit of the information in the article and the source data, but I have as many questions as answers.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a good grasp on

I have a good grasp on Newtonian physics, but I quickly get lost in quantum physics. I think I understand the broad theories, but when you start talking details I quickly get lost in the jargon. There does seem to be a lot happening in the field. At least once a month I see some article on a new discovery or theory, but I'll be damned if I can say what the potential practical benefits are. I bought some books, but haven't had the time to get to them yet. Maybe this winter with the books and watching some of the online lectures available I can at least get to the point where I can read an abstract and understand the import of what they are saying.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X