Teens in my City beat up employee

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teens in my City beat up employee

This particular case has caused quite a controversy in Memphis. Apparently a "mob" of teens swarmed a local Kroger and was attacking people at random. Of course, in a city already rife with racial tension, this has heightened even further. Especially the fact that a Kroger employee was being beat down while his co-worker laughs and films the whole thing on camera. In the video at the posted link, she says (excited) :  "THEY GOT A WHITE DUDE." The kid was left unconscious and is now saying that he simply won't return to work (in another article). When the local DA released a statement saying that this mob would not be charged with a hate crime, this has caused a HUGE uproar.  What I think is funny, in one of the tv spots on the news, the mayor called the teens an : "out of control mob". Hmm, has anyone ever heard of an IN-CONTROL mob ? Confused there. The videos are at the link to the story posted below (Thus far, there are 11 people arrested as of this morning on the news) :

wreg.com/2014/09/08/suspect-charged-in-connection-with-kroger-assault/comment-page-2/#comments

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis Police have arrested and charged three juveniles in connection with Saturday’s attack of three people in a Kroger parking lot.

A 15-year-old is charged with aggravated riot, and acting in concert: to wit aggravated assault.

According to Mayor Wharton, the teen was out on gun related charges at the time of the attack.

Wharton said the teen was not enrolled in school and his mother was previously charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

A juvenile court judge ordered the teen held.

There was no parent at the teen’s hearing.

Police have said the suspect is the individual seen in witness video wearing a lime green shirt.

Another 16-year-old is also charged with aggravated riot, and acting in concert: to wit aggravated assault.

A 15-year-old and 17-year-old are also with aggravated riot.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
well, if EVOLUTION hadn't

well, if EVOLUTION hadn't passed out fists like CANDY, this wouldn't have happened. we live in a CLIMATE of worshipping limbs, where any psycho can go out and get a pair of hands, no problem. teaching children how to make a fist is child abuse, PERIOD.

but no, hands and feet aren't poison.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
lmao. I'm confused. What

lmao.

I'm confused. What exactly happened? The article wasn't very enlightening, and I can't watch the video.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:lmao. I'm

Vastet wrote:
lmao. I'm confused. What exactly happened? The article wasn't very enlightening, and I can't watch the video.

There are several short articles on it and apparently that was not the best one Smiling

Apparently a group of rowdy teens were outside causing a ruckus in the Kroger parking lot (the shopping center is not far from me) and this girl that works for Kroger was filming it with her phone (the scene is really hazy as the idiot keeps shifting her phone all over the place). Anyway, at one point she shouts : "OH YEAH THEIR FIGHTING, THEY GOT A WHITE BOY !". They chased a young man to the door (also a Kroger employee) who was trying to get inside. At the entrance (while she continues laughing and recording) you can see images of them pummeling and kicking him. 

Much later, he was in the hospital with injuries and said that he would probably not return to work there due to what happened. That he would probably not be going anywhere for a while and felt "mentally traumatized". 

The DA office had said they would not be pursuing this as a hate crime, in spite of the targeted victim. People were outraged because of this (this city has racial strife that would rival the 1960s). The people that feel it should be a hate crime felt the victim was targeted for his race. The naysayers report that another kid was injured (black) but only became such when he tried to assist the boy being beaten. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Vastet

harleysportster wrote:

Vastet wrote:
lmao. I'm confused. What exactly happened? The article wasn't very enlightening, and I can't watch the video.

There are several short articles on it and apparently that was not the best one Smiling

Apparently a group of rowdy teens were outside causing a ruckus in the Kroger parking lot (the shopping center is not far from me) and this girl that works for Kroger was filming it with her phone (the scene is really hazy as the idiot keeps shifting her phone all over the place). Anyway, at one point she shouts : "OH YEAH THEIR FIGHTING, THEY GOT A WHITE BOY !". They chased a young man to the door (also a Kroger employee) who was trying to get inside. At the entrance (while she continues laughing and recording) you can see images of them pummeling and kicking him. 

Much later, he was in the hospital with injuries and said that he would probably not return to work there due to what happened. That he would probably not be going anywhere for a while and felt "mentally traumatized". 

The DA office had said they would not be pursuing this as a hate crime, in spite of the targeted victim. People were outraged because of this (this city has racial strife that would rival the 1960s). The people that feel it should be a hate crime felt the victim was targeted for his race. The naysayers report that another kid was injured (black) but only became such when he tried to assist the boy being beaten. 

It's racism.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:well, if

iwbiek wrote:
well, if EVOLUTION hadn't passed out fists like CANDY, this wouldn't have happened. we live in a CLIMATE of worshipping limbs, where any psycho can go out and get a pair of hands, no problem. teaching children how to make a fist is child abuse, PERIOD.

Nice try there.

Your ignorance along with theists is exacly why religiion needs to be called poison. It is preciesly because humans put GANGS(group think) that these kids do what they do, and ofwhy religion does what it does. Will you always have a ratio of crime and violence? Yes, just like you cant get rid of religion. But when you allow (group think) left unchecked, for the same reason kids will join street gangs, ALL religions without a secular leash will become abusive.

You are part of the problem too. Indoctrination of youth is child abuse. You teach a kid your religion and your god is it and you are to accept it blindly without question, you not only set that kid up as an adult not to be able to handle conflicts with those who dissagree you make it harder on society to deal with that kid. No differenet than being jumped into a street or biker gang.

Once again you stupidly and childishly have a kneekjerk reaction much like theists do when they think "Seperation of Church and state" means godless communism.

You are the idiot that wants to treat all religions like that cute little lion cub when the reality is that lion cub grows up. NO MORON, you cannot stop lions from being born, but only an idiot thinks they are never dangerous. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Your problem is that your

Your problem is that your empathy and sense of fair play is wanting to protect human rights which is NOT my issue nor ever was my issue. It is our species overal population and it's falure to see what we are really doing. Humans evolved to form groups, THAT WILL NEVER STOP, no one is going to stop that. What is poison is our our species taking comic book clubs and making them political parties instead of seeing them as the evolutionary group survival which is really going on.

Just like leaving teens and young adults to their own divices without monitoring them. 

Religion is poison. It is pretending your club is the center of the universe. It is a reflection of our evolution in protecting the group. Until our species accepts this more and more we will continue to allow religion to continue to politically divide us. NO IT WILL NOT GO AWAY. Calling it poision is pragmatic, and anyone of any religion can look at others as minorities and understand what the group think of others has done to them.

Poison, the poison that caused Christians to muder a Sikh after 9/11 mistaking him for a Muslim. Poison, that causes Isis to murder Arab Christians and other Muslims. Poison, that caused Saudi Arabia to sentance an atheist to 8 years in prison and 100 lashes for blasphemy. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Nice try there.

Your ignorance along with theists is exacly why religiion needs to be called poison. It is preciesly because humans put GANGS(group think) that these kids do what they do, and ofwhy religion does what it does. Will you always have a ratio of crime and violence? Yes, just like you cant get rid of religion. But when you allow (group think) left unchecked, for the same reason kids will join street gangs, ALL religions without a secular leash will become abusive.

Lol, way to miss the punchline.

Brian37 wrote:

You are part of the problem too. Indoctrination of youth is child abuse. You teach a kid your religion and your god is it and you are to accept it blindly without question, you not only set that kid up as an adult not to be able to handle conflicts with those who dissagree you make it harder on society to deal with that kid. No differenet than being jumped into a street or biker gang.

iwbiek the indoctrinator. You can tell by how he endlessly preaches about evolution every damn post on topics where it is completely irrelevant....

Brian37 wrote:

Once again you stupidly and childishly have a kneekjerk reaction much like theists do when they think "Seperation of Church and state" means godless communism.

Yes, the godless marxist thinks really poorly about the godless communists.

Brian37 wrote:

You are the idiot that wants to treat all religions like that cute little lion cub when the reality is that lion cub grows up. NO MORON, you cannot stop lions from being born, but only an idiot thinks they are never dangerous. 

Of course you can stop lions from being born. At one point in time, humans almost made the lion extinct, and only enforced restraint and the conservationist hunter movement (the one good thing Teddy created) saved the species. 

(Look at that, Brian gave me another excuse to post a babe with a gun Sticking out tongue)

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's not forget the babe with the bow, they are hot too.

/derailment (sorry Harley couldn't help myself)

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Back to the OP. I think this

Back to the OP. I think this illustrates the inherent flaw in the idea of "hate crime" legislation. It is hard enough to determine who did a crime, it is infinitely harder to know and understand why they did the crime. And does the motivation really matter? Whether these thugs were motivated by race or just picked a random person for kicks and giggles, should that change their sentence if they are convicted? I don't think so. In many ways, they are even more dangerous to the public if it was the second. Punishments should be determined based on the crime and motivations should only be taken into consideration in cases where there might be mitigating circumstances such as a belief that you were defending yourself. Hate crime laws lead to arbitrary application, and I think we should all be able to agree that we should strive to make our legal system less arbitrary.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ask yourself, brian: what

ask yourself, brian: what was i aiming at with my sarcasm? anti-religious thinking? your ideas about the danger of religion? the rhetoric that religion is poison? hint: none of the above. yet that didn't stop you from wasting two posts full of stupidity defending things i've never once attacked, and attacking ideas i've never once espoused.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

/derailment (sorry Harley couldn't help myself)

Hehe, pictures of chicks is always welcome on my threads Smiling 

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Back to

Beyond Saving wrote:

Back to the OP. I think this illustrates the inherent flaw in the idea of "hate crime" legislation. It is hard enough to determine who did a crime, it is infinitely harder to know and understand why they did the crime. And does the motivation really matter? Whether these thugs were motivated by race or just picked a random person for kicks and giggles, should that change their sentence if they are convicted? I don't think so. In many ways, they are even more dangerous to the public if it was the second. Punishments should be determined based on the crime and motivations should only be taken into consideration in cases where there might be mitigating circumstances such as a belief that you were defending yourself. Hate crime laws lead to arbitrary application, and I think we should all be able to agree that we should strive to make our legal system less arbitrary.

There is a real problem with the determination of a hate crime in this state. I think due to the huge racial problems that is happening in this city, a lot of the people feel (and I hate to say it but they are right) if a group of rich white fraternity kids pummeled a black dude at random, it would automatically be a hate crime without any questions asked. I wish I could find the link, but something like this happened here not to long ago, it was kind of a fraternity scare prank that got out of hand and the drunken fools ended up beating on a dude they were supposed to frighten. 

They automatically were given hate crime charges, even though some of their horrific deeds that night were done to white homeless people as well. (They actually set one poor guy on fire, that managed to escape without harm). Anyway, while the no good bastards who did this deservedly got prison time, they also had the hate crimes extended to them. 

But in this case, without delay, these kids are NOT going to be charged with a hate crime. 

I agree that is one of the main problems with hate crimes. 

― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:There

harleysportster wrote:

There is a real problem with the determination of a hate crime in this state. I think due to the huge racial problems that is happening in this city, a lot of the people feel (and I hate to say it but they are right) if a group of rich white fraternity kids pummeled a black dude at random, it would automatically be a hate crime without any questions asked. I wish I could find the link, but something like this happened here not to long ago, it was kind of a fraternity scare prank that got out of hand and the drunken fools ended up beating on a dude they were supposed to frighten. 

They automatically were given hate crime charges, even though some of their horrific deeds that night were done to white homeless people as well. (They actually set one poor guy on fire, that managed to escape without harm). Anyway, while the no good bastards who did this deservedly got prison time, they also had the hate crimes extended to them. 

But in this case, without delay, these kids are NOT going to be charged with a hate crime. 

I agree that is one of the main problems with hate crimes. 

The entire reverse racism stuff is bullshit.