Multiverse hypothesis approaches testability

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Multiverse hypothesis approaches testability

Is the universe a bubble? Let's check: Making the multiverse hypothesis testable

Date:
July 17, 2014

Source:
Perimeter Institute

Summary:
Scientists are working to bring the multiverse hypothesis, which to some sounds like a fanciful tale, firmly into the realm of testable science. Never mind the Big Bang; in the beginning was the vacuum. The vacuum simmered with energy (variously called dark energy, vacuum energy, the inflation field, or the Higgs field). Like water in a pot, this high energy began to evaporate -- bubbles formed.

Exerpt:
Perimeter Associate Faculty member Matthew Johnson and his colleagues are working to bring the multiverse hypothesis, which to some sounds like a fanciful tale, firmly into the realm of testable science.
Never mind the big bang; in the beginning was the vacuum. The vacuum simmered with energy (variously called dark energy, vacuum energy, the inflation field, or the Higgs field). Like water in a pot, this high energy began to evaporate -- bubbles formed.
Each bubble contained another vacuum, whose energy was lower, but still not nothing. This energy drove the bubbles to expand. Inevitably, some bubbles bumped into each other. It's possible some produced secondary bubbles. Maybe the bubbles were rare and far apart; maybe they were packed close as foam.
But here's the thing: each of these bubbles was a universe. In this picture, our universe is one bubble in a frothy sea of bubble universes.
That's the multiverse hypothesis in a bubbly nutshell.
It's not a bad story. It is, as scientists say, physically motivated -- not just made up, but rather arising from what we think we know about cosmic inflation.

Full Article/Source:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140717124800.htm

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Off Topic but I just had to squeeze it in.

This is off topic, so I will squeeze it in before any real discussion begins. 

She needs a hero (acting where the hero failed, as in a alternate world which allows events to  unfold differently  from the events found in the stories or in the real world)

The Greatest thing I loved about  DC Comic  was when I was actually a kid,  was the What If stories, I read  now  long ago. Where the hero gets to go to an alternate Universe or alternate reality or parallel earth, and  save the loved one  he couldnt save (ex. Superman saves Lois, Flash saves his intened/fiancée from Reverse Flash, etc.)

It's been a rough day so if I am detracting from the serious discussion. Perhaps!   So,  Sue me. 

Star Trek :: The next generation aired a show featuring a multiverse, in one of the realities the lady ship's counselor is shown to him w/ Troi as his wife

>>   Oh And  Bri  Bri   might I suggest you look up some articles on the  World's Oldest Cave Art, as a mere suggestion  to find a path  of argumentation  that may help  with your position (Other recent Thread he said and he Posted on: July 19th, Unrelated :: All those powers. And I couldn't even save her ).

p.s. -- And  Yes  I remember this from memory. Reverse Flash actually kills the Flash's intended in the comic book stories, but she was saved by Flash when he travelled to an alternate world

On Topic (sort of)

Factoid -- Hugh Everett credited with whole idea of a Parallel Universe(s), was actually being sarcastic  if  you  listen to audio recording  of him discussing the matter, believe it or not.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've had discussions

I've had discussions previously that the "dark matter and dark energy" is actually leaking in to our Universe from the outside.

Cool post

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I find dark matter & energy

I find dark matter & energy to be strange topics. I personally am of the mind that they don't exist, and we simply need better models and equations to explain the rotation of galaxies and the like. I could be wrong, but I suspect I'm right

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I find dark

Vastet wrote:
I find dark matter & energy to be strange topics. I personally am of the mind that they don't exist, and we simply need better models and equations to explain the rotation of galaxies and the like. I could be wrong, but I suspect I'm right

I suspect that I will get laid tonight, but I could be wrong.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I find dark

Vastet wrote:

That is like saying the center of a black hole does not exist because we don't know what happens inside it. Dark matter does exist because we can see the affects it has on the things arround it. I do accept that we don't know what it is exactly or how it works.  But just like we know black holes exist because we can see the affects it has on the material that gets sucked into it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:That is like

Brian37 wrote:
That is like saying the center of a black hole does not exist because we don't know what happens inside it.

Not even remotely true. But you're an ignorant imbecile so nothing new here.

Brian37 wrote:
Dark matter does exist because we can see the affects it has on the things arround it.

No we can't. Rofl.

Dark matter is a type of matter in astronomy and cosmology hypothesized to account for effects that appear to be the result of invisible mass.

Go back to high school moron.

Brian37 wrote:
I do accept that we don't know what it is exactly or how it works.

You really are a theist. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Brian37 wrote:
But just like we know black holes exist because we can see the affects it has on the material that gets sucked into it.

We can actually see them too you know. Moron. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, and the fact that the

yeah, and the fact that the universe exists and is so complex makes it obvious that a creator exists...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson