Most Insane Rides/Amusement

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most Insane Rides/Amusement

I remember Marco Polo land north of Orlando. It was a small time place opened before Disney. There were stories of injuries and deaths, eventually it burned down, rumored that Disney didn't want the competition.

So now I see this video which makes me laugh because all the stories seem so crazy that they must be true. The Alpine Slide alone is completely nuts. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to make it. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x158v48_the-most-insane-amusement-park-ever-full-length_tech

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
The only site I know of with

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never heard of it, but you

I never heard of it, but you reminded me about another park I'd read about that had a huge number of severe injury incidents and even some deaths. Apparently that just made it even more popular lol.

http://sometimes-interesting.com/2014/02/07/there-was-nothing-in-the-world-like-action-park/

Edit: your link wouldn't let me see the video, but as I was waiting for it to load I read the caption and realised it was the same park. lol.

Personally I think the cannonball loop trumps the alpine slide. Not even drugs can explain how a designer could forget that water is affected by gravity.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I never heard

Vastet wrote:
I never heard of it, but you reminded me about another park I'd read about that had a huge number of severe injury incidents and even some deaths. Apparently that just made it even more popular lol. http://sometimes-interesting.com/2014/02/07/there-was-nothing-in-the-world-like-action-park/ Edit: your link wouldn't let me see the video, but as I was waiting for it to load I read the caption and realised it was the same park. lol. Personally I think the cannonball loop trumps the alpine slide. Not even drugs can explain how a designer could forget that water is affected by gravity.

Yeah the Loop was nuts.. but remember they closed that one down because they had "some sense". 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
AFTER they paid employees to

AFTER they paid employees to test it out. lol

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:AFTER they paid

Vastet wrote:
AFTER they paid employees to test it out. lol

They got paid for it at least!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
In about 1990

After a meal at the Golden Century in Chinatown, I got on a ride at Darling Harbour with my then girlfriend, and now ex-wife. I was dressed in a ridiculous pad-shouldered Italian suit and Sandy (I know) was wearing her Sunday best. The Carnie driving the machine was a caricature of his profession and he must have decided to teach us a lesson as he bolted us into a sort of circular pod. Ominously, we were the only riders at the time.  

This fucking machine revolved in all 4 dimensions. The centrifugal forces were obscene. I ended up pressing Sandy into a corner with my full 100kg one moment and the next we were bouncing on the ceiling. We begged the lord to save us (I was still unsure) and wailed for help each time the arms of The Octopus hurled us close enough earthwards to imagine Carnie could hear our birdlike cries over the stampeding pistons of the unmuffled diesel. 

The bloody bastard gave us a double helping of time and tipped us out of a washing machine of keys, coins and bruises. We were so glad to get out of the thing we didn't think to blame Carnie. But as we were stumbling away to buy a pluto pup, I turned around and that son of bitch was laughing so hard there were tears streaming down his face. And I had to laugh, too. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:After

Atheistextremist wrote:

After a meal at the Golden Century in Chinatown, I got on a ride at Darling Harbour with my then girlfriend, and now ex-wife. I was dressed in a ridiculous pad-shouldered Italian suit and Sandy (I know) was wearing her Sunday best. The Carnie driving the machine was a caricature of his profession and he must have decided to teach us a lesson as he bolted us into a sort of circular pod. Ominously, we were the only riders at the time.  

This fucking machine revolved in all 4 dimensions. The centrifugal forces were obscene. I ended up pressing Sandy into a corner with my full 100kg one moment and the next we were bouncing on the ceiling. We begged the lord to save us (I was still unsure) and wailed for help each time the arms of The Octopus hurled us close enough earthwards to imagine Carnie could hear our birdlike cries over the stampeding pistons of the unmuffled diesel. 

The bloody bastard gave us a double helping of time and tipped us out of a washing machine of keys, coins and bruises. We were so glad to get out of the thing we didn't think to blame Carnie. But as we were stumbling away to buy a pluto pup, I turned around and that son of bitch was laughing so hard there were tears streaming down his face. And I had to laugh, too. 

I used to go to things like the Central Florida Fair here in Orlando but stopped after one day in the mid-90's. I was out of the Marines but still very slim and fit, however I was 6'3 and musckuler. I took a ride in this con-trap-tion which had me and a friend squeezed in to a small compartment with barely enough room for my friend and none for me. The train was on the inside of a ring and it would rock back and forth gaining speed until it was at the top of the inside of the ring, where it would pause for a few seconds then circle back around.

The pain in my neck and head was intense. The full weight of my 220lbs bearing down on me because there was no seatbelt. My friend looked at me concerned for my safety. "You ok?" "No I replied. I want out and now!" However there was nothing we could do.

When the ride was over I barely got out of the box. It was a death trap waiting to take a life.

A few minutes later there was another ride even worse. It was a five small boxes called "Rolling the dice" or something like that; and it was brutal as I watched others get tossed around.

My friend said, "lets try it" to which I said, "fuck off".

As I watched my friend get tossed around in, literally a washing machine, he screamed. He had smacked his head on to the metal cheese grater which doubled as a device to prevent your shredded body parts from flying out an hitting others.

When the ride ended he got out covered in blood. His head had been cut badly and his white shirt was now pinkish.

The carnie looked at him, and I kid you not, said "wanna go again?"

We left and never went back again.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ouch. Glad I grew up by West

Ouch. Glad I grew up by West Ed. There was that time the triple loop roller coaster went of the tracks and killed a few people (I was actually in the mall when it happened, near where the Oilers do/did some practices), and I think there've been a few incidents with the bunjie jumps, but the place is pretty safe other than that. Saw lots of puke over the years, but not much blood.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Ouch. Glad I

Vastet wrote:
Ouch. Glad I grew up by West Ed. There was that time the triple loop roller coaster went of the tracks and killed a few people (I was actually in the mall when it happened, near where the Oilers do/did some practices), and I think there've been a few incidents with the bunjie jumps, but the place is pretty safe other than that. Saw lots of puke over the years, but not much blood.

Is that the really big fucking mall, the largest one in the world?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:

Is that the really big fucking mall, the largest one in the world?

It used to be, now, I don't think either is even in the top 10 largest in the world. I remember going there when I was 16 with some friends. We were messed up out of our minds and enraptured with the yellow submarines. Rode the damn things a dozen times singing the Beatles off key loud and proud. Ah, good times.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's the largest in NA &

It's the largest in NA & possibly tied for tenth largest in the world, though it'll drop down the list every year or two. It was the largest until 2004. It's so big there's even a police station in the mall

My parents have some good friends who were in the sub one time when it broke down. Took 3 or 4 hours to get it going, and they were going to be swimming out if it hadn't been fixed soon after it was. They'd already broken out some drysuits and air cannisters.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
The first mall in my town

The first mall in my town was a place call the Interstate mall. It was basically a mall that looked like the mall in the Blues Brothers. Very open, very wide spaces.

Then they built the Altamonte Mall. Holy shit that was amazing back in 1974, then they added more in the 80's. Still it is only 1.15 million sqft of leasing space. Looking at the largest malls in the world the big ones are over between 4 and 7 million sqft! Holy shit. Seriously? 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can basically consider

You can basically consider each super mall to be multiple malls. If I remember right, west ed has 4 food courts. More than a few stores have more than one shop. It'd literally take days to walk around the whole thing. Last I heard it actually has its own population of about 100 people. Though you could spend a week there and never see one of them. The parking lot is insane.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You can

Vastet wrote:
You can basically consider each super mall to be multiple malls. If I remember right, west ed has 4 food courts. More than a few stores have more than one shop. It'd literally take days to walk around the whole thing. Last I heard it actually has its own population of about 100 people. Though you could spend a week there and never see one of them. The parking lot is insane.

It's amazing some of these malls and how they start out smaller and they keep adding on. One of the malls in California actually was made up of several smaller complexes but then they built them together.

As I've thumbed through them I'm stunned at the attractions inside the mall. They are like a mini-theme park. Bring the kids and dad, dump them, then go shopping. Down here I guess you could say some of the Disney attractions could be related to this sort of theme. However the buildings are not connected and the area is open-aired.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The theme parks in west ed

The theme parks in west ed are actually pretty big considering. They used the space very efficiently. There were two or three roller coasters, one being the triple loop. A couple of these giant sea-ship things, one of which did a full loop like a ferris wheel only a lot faster, and the other that was a toned down version that never went upside down. A drop of doom that took you up to the roof and gave you a view of the city before dropping you 3 or 4 stories. A laser tag arena was also there, but I think it's been shut down. There were a few more rides and a whole tonne of carny-like games. I want to name a few but I'm concerned I'll start mixing in klondike days stuff if I do. FYI, klondike days was the city's annual outdoor summer fair. Like Toronto's CNE and Calgary's stampede.
Then there's the water park. I'd guess it had about 15 or so different slides and a wave pool with bungie jumping at the deep end.
But there was also stuff strewn through the mall, like the subs that aren't there anymore, a dolphin show that might not be there anymore, a skating rink that was just dropped in the middle of the hallways, and tonnes of artistic things that people could stare at for hours. Machines that had balls going through convoluted paths making jumps and shit, and a water jumping thing. I'm not going to try describing them better, words can't really do it justice. Suffice to say you could go there without any money and still be entertained for a few hours.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The theme parks

Vastet wrote:
The theme parks in west ed are actually pretty big considering. They used the space very efficiently. There were two or three roller coasters, one being the triple loop. A couple of these giant sea-ship things, one of which did a full loop like a ferris wheel only a lot faster, and the other that was a toned down version that never went upside down. A drop of doom that took you up to the roof and gave you a view of the city before dropping you 3 or 4 stories. A laser tag arena was also there, but I think it's been shut down. There were a few more rides and a whole tonne of carny-like games. I want to name a few but I'm concerned I'll start mixing in klondike days stuff if I do. FYI, klondike days was the city's annual outdoor summer fair. Like Toronto's CNE and Calgary's stampede. Then there's the water park. I'd guess it had about 15 or so different slides and a wave pool with bungie jumping at the deep end. But there was also stuff strewn through the mall, like the subs that aren't there anymore, a dolphin show that might not be there anymore, a skating rink that was just dropped in the middle of the hallways, and tonnes of artistic things that people could stare at for hours. Machines that had balls going through convoluted paths making jumps and shit, and a water jumping thing. I'm not going to try describing them better, words can't really do it justice. Suffice to say you could go there without any money and still be entertained for a few hours.

Sounds like an amazing experience.

I was just looking at the large malls around the US and they are almost all managed by the same company, Simon. I find this interesting. Simon must be a huge company because they manage two malls near me.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Acton Park New Jersey

It is an old joke among people who grew up in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s in my home state that goes : "You know your from New Jersey if you have had at least one injury in Acton Park as a child".  

You can google that one on the web and find all the horrors. Smiling

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:   

harleysportster wrote:

It is an old joke among people who grew up in the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s in my home state that goes : "You know your from New Jersey if you have had at least one injury in Acton Park as a child".  

You can google that one on the web and find all the horrors. Smiling

I googled it but there was too much feedback, but I think I get the picture.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't  which city it is

I don't  which city it is in, but the one on top of the "sky needle" that leans over the side like fingers and spins arround. NO FUCKING WAY! I see that picture on FB alot.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I don't

Brian37 wrote:

I don't  which city it is in, but the one on top of the "sky needle" that leans over the side like fingers and spins arround. NO FUCKING WAY! I see that picture on FB alot.

Have to look for that one. My niece (who is at the : "I am 16 and know everything stage) asked me with this typical teenage snobbery the last time I saw her : "Let me get this straight, you'll get on some crappy bike and ride for hours all over but you do not like amusement park rides ?". Fucking teenagers. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Have to look for that one. My niece (who is at the : "I am 16 and know everything stage) asked me with this typical teenage snobbery the last time I saw her : "Let me get this straight, you'll get on some crappy bike and ride for hours all over but you do not like amusement park rides ?". Fucking teenagers. 

When I was that age I scoffed at my parents music and politics and likes, but you know you are old when a teen today says "ABBA, what is ABBA".

There are some rides I can handle. But nothing that is free spinning and not on rails when it is really really high. I can handle a metal coaster but not a farris wheel. I hate things that swing at hights that make you feel you are on a string about to break.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog