Must You Be Religous To Be Moral

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Must You Be Religous To Be Moral

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
the religious who insist

the religious who insist religion is necessary for authentic morality have no idea what the purpose of religion is.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: the religious

iwbiek wrote:

the religious who insist religion is necessary for authentic morality have no idea what the purpose of religion is.

There is no purpose to religion anymore than a sugar pill can cure a patient. Religion is nothing but our ignorance of our own tribal evolution. It is an artifical construct. A comic book excuse to feel superior to others. A childish reflection of our own selfish desires.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Morals are what

makes one human. Morals is what comes into play when willfully refraining from harming others. Without morals there's no proper interaction between one's self and others,as in, it is immoral to willfully harm another. An immoral system is one that does harm to bring about good, and certain harms then become considered moral for such a system to operate. in that respect then--what's immoral becomes moral and true morals become unknown or lost.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: the religious

iwbiek wrote:

what is the purpose of religion?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:iwbiek

ex-minister wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Mind control  & money;  power & self prestige; the arrogent need to inflict your ideals upon all others,  kill off those who don't fall into line and claim you do it because god loves you.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
until certain people here

until certain fucking idiots learn the difference between speaking emically and speaking etically, i'm not going to bother answering a question i've already answered numerous times on this site anyway.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

ex-minister wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

The purpose of religion is to justify our childish tribalism. It is nothing but comic book politics. In cosmic time it serves no purpose. In human time it gives us excuses to justify our gangs.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:ex-minister

Jeffrick wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Mind control  & money;  power & self prestige; the arrogent need to inflict your ideals upon all others,  kill off those who don't fall into line and claim you do it because god loves you.

Agree 100%.  All the more reason to call it a poison.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kinda sounds

Jeffrick wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Like government and Wall Street. On that I agree.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

There is no purpose to religion anymore than a sugar pill can cure a patient. Religion is nothing but our ignorance of our own tribal evolution. It is an artifical construct. A comic book excuse to feel superior to others. A childish reflection of our own selfish desires.

I am amused by the fact your metaphor is accurate. A sugar pill actually can cure someone, and religion still has a purpose. If it didn't we'd have dropped it by now.

It is extremely funny that you keep referring to comic books and childishness when you are the epitome of a childish comic book character.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

ex-minister wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

It facilitates community and greases the wheels of society. As it has always done. Anything and everything else is secondary at best.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
It creates and maintains social bonds.

Vastet wrote:
ex-minister wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

It facilitates community and greases the wheels of society. As it has always done. Anything and everything else is secondary at best.

Be it true or false it is still a necessity for many. BUT, the same thing can be said for the local bar down the street. There's many reason that floks have to bond together, and religion is one alcohol another. The catalysts are many . Where there's a body of people a society will be created. That's our nature. "Maybe" society itself is religion, making religion a natural consequence of "being". Religion in itself isn't harmful, it's when governments and other leaders use  a ready-made gathering for their own purposes of going against an adversary that "they" created and to chicken to be on the battlefield themselves. As the theunderstanding is--put the polititians or the Pope in a requirement to be in the battle ---there wouldn't be wars. People don't create wars, leaders do.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is power that is the

It is power that is the problem. Whenever a person or group has power, they seek to keep it. Their duties become secondary to keeping the power they wield. As long as religions have power, they will be a threat.

Don't kid yourself though. Leaders couldn't start wars without enough people following them to create wars. The number of leaders who join the vanguard in a battle these days may be few and far between, but it was not always so. There was a time that you wouldn't get many people fighting for you if you hid in a bunker somewhere. Assassinations and advanced warfare tactics changed that policy, as it's nearly impossible to get an army fighting for you if you get killed in the opening battle by a sniper you can't even see who's a click away.

War is an inevitable side effect of life anyway. Anything that is alive does war with most everything else that is alive. The only way to do away with war is to kill everything. Personally I don't have any interest in such a path.

War isn't pleasant, but pipe dreams can't accomplish anything. If someone is pointing a gun at you, your friends, and your family; you'll pick up a gun and kill him if given the slightest opportunity. If not, you all die and your pacifistic genes die with you. The next guy will pick up the gun and his family will live, the genes they carry that gave them the capacity for violence will be propagated, and if you're lucky you might get a memorial. Small comfort I think.