Allah, most merciful, wise.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
But religion isn't

But religion isn't poison!!!!11one

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15752
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:But religion

Kapkao wrote:

But religion isn't poison!!!!11one

 

Beat me to it. I could give one fuck less if relious people are offended by that. They prove my point by ignoring what is done in the name of religion. "Most people don't" is the cover that allows JUST ENOUGH.

Our ability as a species to be cruel or compassionate has always been in us. Religion is a poison because it distracts us from our evolutionary reality. It is simply humans making up comic book excuses to feel superior to others. Now while it will not go away by force, it must always be challenged and never be given a pedistal. You cannot get rid of it anymore than you can remove a volcano. But only a fool looks at the dormant volcano and pretends it will never errupt.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It is simply

Brian37 wrote:
It is simply humans making up comic book excuses to feel superior to others.



yeah, instead of focusing on the REAL, EVOLUTIONARY reasons as to why some of us actually are superior to others: being lucky enough to be faster, stronger, smarter, kick more ass, and attract more women than most of the others. i guess for dumb little shits, EVOLUTION is also POISON! if anything, at least christianity and islam have a pretense of egalitarianism that would be more likely to give the evolutionarily fucked a fair shake.




btw, still waiting for the scientific data that establishes that moderate, tolerant religious people serve only as cover for the violent fanatics. until i get it, i will continue to call that statement what it is: a naked assertion, concocted by demagogues, that you've chosen to latch onto and tout as fact, based on your own immature emotional hang-ups. in other words, an argument that barely does justice to the bar scene.



"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
ITT Brian continues to prove

ITT Brian continues to prove he's the real poison, and kap trolls.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15752
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
It is simply humans making up comic book excuses to feel superior to others.

yeah, instead of focusing on the REAL, EVOLUTIONARY reasons as to why some of us actually are superior to others: being lucky enough to be faster, stronger, smarter, kick more ass, and attract more women than most of the others. i guess for dumb little shits, EVOLUTION is also POISON! if anything, at least christianity and islam have a pretense of egalitarianism that would be more likely to give the evolutionarily fucked a fair shake.

btw, still waiting for the scientific data that establishes that moderate, tolerant religious people serve only as cover for the violent fanatics. until i get it, i will continue to call that statement what it is: a naked assertion, concocted by demagogues, that you've chosen to latch onto and tout as fact, based on your own immature emotional hang-ups. in other words, an argument that barely does justice to the bar scene.

Sam Harris "The End Of Faith", NEUROLOGIST. Richard Dawkins EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGIST "The God Delusion". Victor Stenger "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism" ALSO a PHD scientist.

I don't want you to fucking lecture me about blasting religion when you are the one coddling bigotry and absurd fantastic claims that come out of books of myth that have CLEARLY caused humans throughout our evolutionary history to continue to justify cruelty to our fellow human.

Slavery, sexism, homophobia, just about every fucking war. No do not expect me to tollerate intolerance dipshit. YOU and your PC bullshit do not help the very people you claim to want to protect. You know absolutly nothing about those authors, much less Hitchens otherwise you'd know how fucking stupid you are being. Your "kumbia" crap doesn't help anyone.

I can attack religion as a construct as an idea, the construct of group think, and still value human rights. That is the part you don't seem to get. Your attitude of not offending people is bullshit in the face of people who use religion as a weapon. I will offend religion because it needs to be offended.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:ITT Brian

Vastet wrote:
ITT Brian continues to prove he's the real poison, and kap trolls.

 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
It is simply humans making up comic book excuses to feel superior to others.

yeah, instead of focusing on the REAL, EVOLUTIONARY reasons as to why some of us actually are superior to others: being lucky enough to be faster, stronger, smarter, kick more ass, and attract more women than most of the others. i guess for dumb little shits, EVOLUTION is also POISON! if anything, at least christianity and islam have a pretense of egalitarianism that would be more likely to give the evolutionarily fucked a fair shake.

btw, still waiting for the scientific data that establishes that moderate, tolerant religious people serve only as cover for the violent fanatics. until i get it, i will continue to call that statement what it is: a naked assertion, concocted by demagogues, that you've chosen to latch onto and tout as fact, based on your own immature emotional hang-ups. in other words, an argument that barely does justice to the bar scene.

Sam Harris "The End Of Faith", NEUROLOGIST. Richard Dawkins EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGIST "The God Delusion". Victor Stenger "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism" ALSO a PHD scientist.

I don't want you to fucking lecture me about blasting religion when you are the one coddling bigotry and absurd fantastic claims that come out of books of myth that have CLEARLY caused humans throughout our evolutionary history to continue to justify cruelty to our fellow human.

Slavery, sexism, homophobia, just about every fucking war. No do not expect me to tollerate intolerance dipshit. YOU and your PC bullshit do not help the very people you claim to want to protect. You know absolutly nothing about those authors, much less Hitchens otherwise you'd know how fucking stupid you are being. Your "kumbia" crap doesn't help anyone.

I can attack religion as a construct as an idea, the construct of group think, and still value human rights. That is the part you don't seem to get. Your attitude of not offending people is bullshit in the face of people who use religion as a weapon. I will offend religion because it needs to be offended.




pardon me all to hell. i should have said, "concocted by demagogues with titles." fucking twat.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3928
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Religion is a

Brian37 wrote:

Religion is a poison because it distracts us from our evolutionary reality. It is simply humans making up comic book excuses to feel superior to others. Now while it will not go away by force, it must always be challenged and never be given a pedistal. 

"Our evolutionary reality" is to survive and pass along our genes and memes. Many people find religion and pedelling religion to be useful weapons to that end.

So is religion a cause of war and confilct or is a weapon that is used in the battle? You seem confused on this. Calling it both a cause of war and a weapon of war. Guns are not a cause of war, but a weapon. Competition for money and power is a cause of war but not a weapon.

Is weapons building a 'distraction from our evolutionary reality'? No, it is our reality. Since we live in a world with pleanty of competition(thanks to population pressures),  people find weapons(guns, religion and politics) useful in the battle to survive.

 

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3928
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Religion is a

DP


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Vastet

Kapkao wrote:

Vastet wrote:
ITT Brian continues to prove he's the real poison, and kap trolls.

 

Yeah really.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Brian37

EXC wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Religion is a poison because it distracts us from our evolutionary reality. It is simply humans making up comic book excuses to feel superior to others. Now while it will not go away by force, it must always be challenged and never be given a pedistal. 

"Our evolutionary reality" is to survive and pass along our genes and memes. Many people find religion and pedelling religion to be useful weapons to that end.

So is religion a cause of war and confilct or is a weapon that is used in the battle? You seem confused on this. Calling it both a cause of war and a weapon of war. Guns are not a cause of war, but a weapon. Competition for money and power is a cause of war but not a weapon.

Is weapons building a 'distraction from our evolutionary reality'? No, it is our reality. Since we live in a world with pleanty of competition(thanks to population pressures),  people find weapons(guns, religion and politics) useful in the battle to survive. 

Evolution dictates that passing on our genes via reproduction is the basic requirement for a species to persist. Individual survival is NOT, since in some species reproduction involves the death of one or both of the parents.

Religious ideas can encourage, even generate, conflict. Its a bit of a stretch to see how'religion' itself can be used as a weapon.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 The issue is NOT what

 The issue is NOT what contributes to making some species ACTUALLY superior, it is about ideologies that make us FEEL superior, and so more  likely to act on our ideas.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Exactly.

Kapkao wrote:

Exactly.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.