Since when is a Martini glass "girly" while light beer is "manly"?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since when is a Martini glass "girly" while light beer is "manly"?

Last night I swing by a bar in a hotel I have never been to before. So as my habit with a new bartender, I ordered a variety of different drinks. Eventually, I worked my way to my personal favorite, a bourbon Manhattan. I always drink my Manhattans up unless I am in a bar that is upscale enough to actually have cocktail ice cubes instead of crushed ice. Which brought up the inevitable ribbing at the bar about a red tinted drink in a martini glass being "girly".

The funny thing is, that these comments invariably come from the loudmouth who is drinking Bud Light, Coors Light or Miller Lite (proving he has neither taste buds nor an ability to spell). Now I don't have a problem drinking girly drinks, pink umbrella and all. But really, since when is drinking watered down beer that doesn't even have a decent calorie count manly? Strikes me as the kind of drink one might choose if they were worried about their weight and didn't want to get too drunk...    

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, i hate that kind of

yeah, i hate that kind of shit. if i like something, i fucking order it. i've already expressed my fondness for dry rose champagne on this site, flute and all. i like a cold bud light or natural light when i visit the states, mostly for nostalgic reasons, but i'll be the first to tell you they're pisswater.

i'm most at home in a fucking hellhole of a slovak bar, patronized mostly by fifty-something career alcoholics all staring into their drinks, with a half-liter of beer so bitter it would send any american joe six-pack crying back to anheuser-busch and a shot of cheap carpathian bitters, chain-smoking and listening to al green on my headphones.

yet if you put me in a nice restaurant, i'll be the first to order a dry bombay sapphire martini, and yes, i want it stirred. james bond must have been drinking some cheap shit. actually, i prefer it naked, but in my experience most places aren't prepared for this. i always keep all my vodka, gin, and schnapps in the freezer at home.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since when should anything

Since when should anything be considered "girly" or "manly"? We like what we like as individuals. There are girls/and women who are mentally tougher, and braver than me say Malala and Ayaan. Why is it not ok for men to show weakness or expect them always to be or act a certain way?

I fucking hate the Shack commericail  for Gold Bond, "Man up".  I don't care that other men like to be fit or are mentally braver than me, but I do care about them projecting their own personal script on me.

Humans are a range and so is our sexuality both men and women and our personalities as well.

I took a P.E. course in college which was bowling. I got beaten by GASP a female. So? She knocked down more pins than I did. And for example, I would have loved it if Xena Warrior Princess could have handled some of the bullies that picked on me in high school.

I don't give one fuck what a person thinks how a woman or man should be or act. It is just as bad to me when women tell other women how to dress. Men also don't get to define for me how to be a man or what is "manly".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:... I don't

Brian37 wrote:

... I don't care that other men like to be fit or are mentally braver than me, but I do care about them projecting their own personal script on me.

Are you fucking kidding me ?  " ..but I do care about them projecting their own personal script on me." 

LOL !  I'll remind you of that cherished principal next time you assert that men who own firearms are compensating for sexual inadequacies and all the other left-wing psychobabble that you so frequently spew....

Brian37 wrote:
Men also don't get to define for me how to be a man or what is "manly".

Practice what you preach, A-Hole.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: james bond

iwbiek wrote:

james bond must have been drinking some cheap shit.

Most likely he was, or at least it would be considered cheap shit by today's standards. It was in the 50's and 60's when the Soviets were fine tuning charcoal filtering of vodka. Prior to that, most vodka was unfiltered or used substandard techniques that left substantial impurities. It is likely that Ian Fleming never had a good filtered vodka (at least not before he wrote the first few books), and most of the vodka he drank was probably closer in texture and flavor to bathtub moonshine than modern vodka. It probably benefited from a good bruising. We can all be thankful that the Soviets decided sinking money into perfecting vodka production was a good use of resources. 

I don't really care for martinis myself. I love a good gin, but I usually have it as gin & tonic (double shot of gin in a short glass and only a splash of tonic) or a gimlet. Vodka I usually tell my bartender to get creative with, it works great as a base for a talented bartender. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Humans are a

Brian37 wrote:

Humans are a range and so is our sexuality both men and women and our personalities as well.

Given that, isn't it logical to have a scale with which to describe personalities? 

Brian37 wrote:

I don't give one fuck what a person thinks how a woman or man should be or act. It is just as bad to me when women tell other women how to dress. Men also don't get to define for me how to be a man or what is "manly". 

Ridiculous, of course they get to define you. Every person you meet in your life defines you by developing an opinion and categorizing you. Whether you care about their opinion or not is irrelevant, their opinions will influence how they interact with you and often how others interact with you. Developing social norms and an expectation of the role that various members of a society are expected to fill is a crucial part of human social interaction. Defining what is masculine and what is feminine is simply an outgrowth of the necessity of having an organized social structure for humans societies to thrive. You might even say it is part of EVOLUTION!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

... I don't care that other men like to be fit or are mentally braver than me, but I do care about them projecting their own personal script on me.

Are you fucking kidding me ?  " ..but I do care about them projecting their own personal script on me." 

LOL !  I'll remind you of that cherished principal next time you assert that men who own firearms are compensating for sexual inadequacies and all the other left-wing psychobabble that you so frequently spew....

Brian37 wrote:

yeah, for someone who rails against "scripts," he certainly seems to be reading from one most of the time.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

31,000 gun deaths per year.  When gun deaths get down to say that of Japan, then I'll shut up.

It is not about rights, it is about a flooded market of 300 million guns both legal and illegal.  It is about an industry that loves to use fear to keep it's profit margins up.

Guns are not candy and should NOT be made like candy and handed out like candy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guns are indeed a problem in

Guns are indeed a problem in America, but guns themselves aren't the cause of the problem. Social and economic inequality and the culture are the causes. Guns are merely the easy and simple way for the marginalised to strike out against others they perceive as being the source of their troubles.

Just like religion isn't the cause of problems in the middle east. It's merely the easy and simple way for people to group together against the outsiders who haven't stopped fucking with them for more than a thousand years.

Until you actually learn how to see the source of a problem instead of picking at the frayed edges of the symptoms you'll just be laughed at by those who see the big picture and shouted down by all the small minded idiots who are like you in every way but are positioned on the other side of the scale.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Until you

Vastet wrote:

Until you actually learn how to see the source of a problem instead of picking at the frayed edges of the symptoms you'll just be laughed at by those who see the big picture and shouted down by all the small minded idiots who are like you in every way but are positioned on the other side of the scale.

hear, hear!

--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Guns are indeed

Vastet wrote:
Guns are indeed a problem in America, but guns themselves aren't the cause of the problem. Social and economic inequality and the culture are the causes. Guns are merely the easy and simple way for the marginalised to strike out against others they perceive as being the source of their troubles. Just like religion isn't the cause of problems in the middle east. It's merely the easy and simple way for people to group together against the outsiders who haven't stopped fucking with them for more than a thousand years. Until you actually learn how to see the source of a problem instead of picking at the frayed edges of the symptoms you'll just be laughed at by those who see the big picture and shouted down by all the small minded idiots who are like you in every way but are positioned on the other side of the scale.

+ 1 !!! Vastet.

Ha ha Brian, you've been shot down in flames yet again !   SWEET !

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

31,000 gun deaths per year.  When gun deaths get down to say that of Japan, then I'll shut up.

It is not about rights, it is about a flooded market of 300 million guns both legal and illegal.  It is about an industry that loves to use fear to keep it's profit margins up.

Guns are not candy and should NOT be made like candy and handed out like candy.

Given that the topic of the thread started with alcohol, wouldn't it be far more appropriate to focus your fear mongering on the 80,000+ deaths per year attributed to alcohol?

80,000 alcohol deaths per year. When alcohol deaths get down to say that of Libya, the I'll shut up. 

It is not about rights, it is about a flooded market of 2.5 billion bottles of alcohol, both legal and illegal. It is about an industry that loves to use depression to keep it's profit margins up. 

Alcohol is not candy and should NOT be made like candy and handed out like candy. 

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
About 35 years ago, the

About 35 years ago, the media decided that women surpassed men in intellegence, class, morality, etc... Just fits with the stereotype you see in all the sitcoms, advertisements and adult cartoons(Simpson, Family Guy, American Dad) of the helpless heterosexual male and the trendy superior females that tolerate their presence.

I think what actually happened was marketers and advertisers figured out they could make a lot of money selling girl power, metrosexuality and gay pride alongside their products. A guy that is his own man(or a women that is her own) is not going be swayed by advertising or what is trendy, so we're the enemy.

Kind of like atheists are the enemy of the marketers of religion. You're not supposed to make up your own mind.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen