SDA pastor flirts with atheism for a year

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
SDA pastor flirts with atheism for a year

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How do you flirt with

How do you flirt with atheism?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
no offense, cap, but i would

no offense, cap, but i would imagine flirting with anything is rather foreign to you.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
though i recall you and

though i recall you and kevin came close a couple times...

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:no offense,

iwbiek wrote:
no offense, cap, but i would imagine flirting with anything is rather foreign to you.

You have no idea

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting how he is

Interesting how he is already experiencing the bullshit we deal with every day, in some form or fashion.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

It sounds like the pastor was on the way out already. The morally inconsistent teachings of the bible are increasingly divergent from the values a kindly person would hold.

I was thinking this morning how bizarre it is that religion broadly ignores war and inequality yet rages against gay folks.

More and more I see religion as the divination of bigotry, the reification of vilification.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
the reification of vilification

Atheistextremist wrote:
It sounds like the pastor was on the way out already. The morally inconsistent teachings of the bible are increasingly divergent from the values a kindly person would hold. I was thinking this morning how bizarre it is that religion broadly ignores war and inequality yet rages against gay folks. More and more I see religion as the divination of bigotry, the reification of vilification.

You sure know how to put a sentence together.  Smiling

Like that phrase "the reification of vilification".

Agreed, he must be on his way out. He is losing like I did, the immediate family. Religions do that. Spookiness is thicker than blood.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:though i recall

iwbiek wrote:

who's this kevin?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:iwbiek

Kapkao wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

who's this kevin?

canadian bloke who used to be on here all the time. i recall him being sort of brian37 light. he loved spotting no true scotsmen and cap was his favorite person to argue with, even after she publically decided to be an atheist. i'm pretty sure he had it for her something fierce. he hasn't shown his face in 2 or 3 years though.

he used to jump all over me for being a marxist. then i challenged him to read trotsky and he actually did. he came back a convinced trotskyist, read more trotsky than i did. he might have changed his mind since then though...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mehta want to help this pastor

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/06/atheist-blogger-seeks-donations-to-help-pastor-who-was-fired-for-giving-atheism-a-try/

Hemant Mehta wants to help this pastor.

“I think it’s important to show that, unlike the Christian organizations, we support someone who’s willing to put his own beliefs under the microscope,” Mehta wrote.

Religion Kills !!!

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

Quote:

Point?  Interesting when it aired.

Sunday  Sunday  Sunday   a give away on the featured film of the night in the programming department.

It's do ask,  and do tell

Brian37 wrote:

The culture's  SHIFT  is  spreading, in the united states, and I'd say is truly changing. As seen in what aired on HBO (or HBO2) over the holiday.

Note::  My older sister lives in Y____ ______ (for SENSIBLE security reasons, name omitted); while in a motel I found myself noticing :The Man of Steel (a newer Super-Man movie) was conspicuously playing on Easter "Resurrection" Sunday.

See:: Clip at the end of the Film The Man of Steel . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3v85k0T8DA  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAM_KMx51Ns

p.s. -- Now is not the time for Off-site anything, I had to say something directly to my friend Brian.

Don't have HBO but since I am either Lenny or George, from "Of Mice And Men" you might want to dumb it down for me. I don't even know that Oedipus was married to Jocosta who was also his mother. (Waits for third party to chime in, they know who they are).

Danatemporary wrote:
Lol.  Don't feel bad brian. The reason I mentioned the Motel is I haven't bothered to hook-up my Tele since  a move to a even more rural location (Or what I like to call Moon base twelve).

I dont need to get into the movie itself, being it's about a huge pop-culture icon, Attributions, CUT~EN~Paste is The comic-book character, Super-Man: Where "the planet Krypton faces imminent destruction due to its unstable core, the result of depleting Krypton's natural resources. The ruling council is deposed General Zod and his band of followers during a coup d'état. Knowing that the use of artificial population control has ruined their civilization, scientist Jor-El and his wife Lara launch their newborn son Kal-El, Egg and sperm have developed some pretty nifty tricks to make conception happen, fore it was the first naturally born Kryptonian child in centuries. They place Kal-El aboard on a spacecraft to the planet Earth after infusing his cells with a genetic codex of the entire Kryptonian race. After General Zod kills Jor-El, he and his followers are captured and exiled to the Phantom Zone'',  the  movie goes on from there.

p.s. -- Now is not the time for Off-site anything, I had to say something directly to my friend Brian.

Point?  Interesting when it aired.

P.S.   --

We're  hanging above as the canyon comes between
  Everyone knows I'm in
  Over my head
  Over my head
  With eight seconds left in overtime
  Baby's on your mind
  Baby's on your mind

Everyone knows I'm in
  Over my head
  Over my head
  Baby's on your mind
  Baby's on your ...

And suddenly I become a part of your past
  I'm becoming the part that won't last
  I won't let it go down till we torch it ourselves

And everyone knows I'm in
  Over my head
  Over my head
  Baby's on your mind
  Baby's on your mind

Everyone knows I'm in
  Over my head
  Over my head 

( . . Acts 27 verse  22  But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed )

iwbiek wrote:

To  those  incapable of  understanding when someone is speaking symbolically  and  the chronically clueless among us . . Deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

Read this very carefully, for those incapable of paying any attention.   Last time  I checked  you have to have actually committed homosexual acts (act, words, thought, and the actual deed)  to be consider one,  .. come again ?!???

See::  Image ::

Keep-up the scummy passive-aggressiveness all you want. Or  Stop embarrassing yourself   for  a change.   Up to you,  after all   youre only interested   in what you what  (See: Image,  Keep Time stamps of the last three days in mind)

Man   If you only knew what this  actually  represented

Symbolic meaning   .. not that your lack of understanding makes no never mind, (other than a new pattern may be soon in position) !!

((No reason for a change of heart was ever given at all  . . And  Again, No reason for a change of heart was ever given at all!!))

____

Hebrews 12:12-14 (NKJV/NASB) --  Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed. Pursue peace with all men, and sanctification

Acts 27 verse  22  ''But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed''

EDIT l  Edit :: represented was misspelled but I dont time for any other edits on this terminal

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Update on his progress

Now that I’m into the second half of the year I also feel some pressure building. I need to figure some stuff out by December 31st. I also feel the pressure to fit in. I would like to fit in somewhere. I clearly do not fit in my former Seventh-day Adventist Church. I don’t fit into any version of established Christianity either. The atheists I’ve had the privilege of meeting have been so hospitable and generous. But I hear them express their confidence and I feel like I don’t quite fit there, either. Sometimes I’m tempted to cave in one way or the other just so I’ll have an intellectual home. But why would I do that now? I’ve sacrificed everything to get here. Now is no time to start being cautious.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/yearwithoutgod/2014/07/09/i-want-to-know-everything/

Religion Kills !!!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i wonder if anybody has

i wonder if anybody has actually befriended this guy, no strings attached. just sort of said, "hey dude, i hope you figure this out," or, "go for it. find your truth"--just sat down and had coffee with him, asked him pointed questions, challenged his notions of the moment, be they theistic or atheistic. in my experience, the atheists can have just as much of an agenda as the theist, and by now everybody wants to "get him" for their side.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh hai!Hmm, I think just

Oh hai!

Hmm, I think just the act of doing this alone betrays some sort of open-mindedness, regardless of his actual thoughts on the subject. Plus, in general, almost any publicity for atheism is good publicity, so I'd say this is definitely a good thing.

Quote:
The atheists I’ve had the privilege of meeting have been so hospitable and generous. But I hear them express their confidence and I feel like I don’t quite fit there, either.

There might be a little bit of a misunderstanding here. Most of the atheists I've met would consider themselves agnostic atheists.

Or, I guess, he really could have just met some atheists that were more "confident."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 http://pennsundayschool.com

http://pennsundayschool.com/episodes/

Penn had this guy on his podcast some time ago. I think it was episode 116

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

http://pennsundayschool.com/episodes/

Penn had this guy on his podcast some time ago. I think it was episode 116

in general, i like penn, but i was disappointed when matt stone and trey parker talked about how he was rather pushily trying to proselytize them for atheism. matt's and trey's jury is decidedly out on the matter of god's existence. i still love their hilarious send-up of atheism (and dawkins) on the "go god go" episodes of south park. "science damn you!"

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are things I think

There are things I think Penn has brilliantly right, but there are also things I think he couldn't be more wrong about. Not everyone can be or should be a strong atheist.
I too liked what Matt & Trey did with those episodes, which I saw as their rebuttal to attempts to recruit them to atheism.
I think the real goal atheists should have is in spreading critical thinking, not attempting to bury the concept of god. In this, Trey & Matt are not lacking. Noone can watch much South Park without seeing their capacity to think critically.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.