Snowden amnesty being considered by NSA

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snowden amnesty being considered by NSA

It appears that while there is harsh feelings on both sides about whether or not to do this. The NSA is considering granting Snowden amnesty. Thoughts ? Does this set the standard that other people can do what he did and not worry about it too much like some are saying ? Or is this a good thing ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25399345

Edward Snowden leaks: NSA amnesty 'considered'

The US National Security Agency is considering offering an amnesty to fugitive intelligence contractor Edward Snowden if he agrees to stop leaking secret documents, an NSA official says.

The man in charge of assessing the leaks' damage, Richard Ledgett, said he could be open to an amnesty deal.

Disclosures by the former intelligence worker have revealed the extent of the NSA's spying activity.

But NSA Director Gen Keith Alexander has dismissed the idea.

Mr Ledgett spoke to US television channel CBS about the possibility of an amnesty deal: "So my personal view is, yes it's worth having a conversation about.

"I would need assurances that the remainder of the data could be secured, and my bar for those assurances would be very high, would be more than just an assertion on his part."

But Gen Alexander, who is retiring early next year, rejected the idea of any amnesty for Mr Snowden.

"This is analogous to a hostage taker taking 50 people hostage, shooting 10, and then say, 'if you give me full amnesty, I'll let the other 40 go'. What do you do?"

File picture of the NSA headquartersThe NSA has been making efforts to be seen as more transparent

In an earlier interview with the Reuters news agency, Mr Ledgett said he was deeply worried about highly classified documents not yet public that are among the 1.7 million files Mr Snowden is believed to have accessed.

Mr Snowden's disclosures have been "cataclysmic" for the agency, Mr Ledgett told Reuters.

Earlier this month, a UK newspaper editor told UK MPs only 1% of files leaked by Mr Snowden had been published by the newspaper.

The state department says its position has not changed and that Mr Snowden must return to the US to face charges, says the BBC's Suzanne Kianpour.

The US has charged Mr Snowden with theft of government property, unauthorised communication of national defence information and wilful communication of classified communications intelligence.

Each of the charges carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence.

At the weekend, the NSA allowed a CBS television crew into their headquarters for the first time in its history, in an effort to be more open about what the agency does with the data it collects.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
They sure are desperate to

They sure are desperate to shut him up. I wish I was rich so I could get him to South America and let him release everything else.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, everybody knows this

yeah, everybody knows this has absolutely nothing to do with "national security" and everything to do with being vindictive because you got caught with your dick out.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snowden is not that heroic.

Did I ever mention I have a conservative bend when it comes to politics.  I agree with Gen.Alexander on this point, it is like hostage takers killing 10 and demanding amnesty for NOT killing the other hostages.      Who elected Snowden to decide what government secrets to steal and which to leak? I might have more respect for the egotist if he HAD NOT  sought safety in those lands of Human rights [China & Russia] where the State Security police have NEVER violated a citizens rights. I have NO respect for that self righteous egotist    and I do know what a self righteous egotist looks like, {I have mirrors in my house}.   I hope they do grant an amnesty to Snowden because more then one established court & Supreme court decision has allowed Police authority at all levels of government to LIE to a suspect in order to get them before the courts. Which would be Like Snowden , who's contract says he would NOT steal NSA secrets and run off to China and Russia with them.   Payback is a bitch, especially when the bitches act just like you.                    

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:    I hope

Jeffrick wrote:

I hope they do grant an amnesty to Snowden because more then one established court & Supreme court decision has allowed Police authority at all levels of government to LIE to a suspect in order to get them before the courts. Which would be Like Snowden , who's contract says he would NOT steal NSA secrets and run off to China and Russia with them.   Payback is a bitch, especially when the bitches act just like you.  

I have wondered what exactly would happen if they do grant him Amnesty. Would they have a trick up their sleeve waiting on him ?

Perhaps I am just speculating too much and making connections where there are none, but I did wonder if they were planning on doing SOMETHING that would make an example out of him ? Maybe or maybe not. Probably not.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh, don't get me wrong, i

oh, don't get me wrong, i don't consider snowden any type of hero. he clearly is a self-righteous prick, like most modern western humans. then again, i have no heroes, except maybe agehananda bharati, because he was quite frank about the times he was being a dick and the times he was being a genuine humanist.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snowden actions were above

Snowden actions were above reproach. He never gave secrets to China or Russia, he gave them to the US press. Suggesting he's a thief or criminal is ridiculous. He's a full head above every single US politician, and every member of the CIA, FBI, and NSA. They should ALL go to jail or be shot and pissed on before Snowden gets so much as a fine.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.